Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,740 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:20 PM

12 Tips To Write Your First Short Story - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 12 Tips To Write Your First Short Story (5083 Views)

Get Grammarly Premium To Write As A Pro / Whose Fault? (betrayal And Revenge) A Short Story / How To Write A Quality Article In Less Than 15 Minutes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

12 Tips To Write Your First Short Story by BiafranBushBoy: 3:21pm On Jan 09, 2017
After I wrote http://topwritersden.com/5-types-of-writers-we-have/, A lot of questions were channeled to me. Some people asked

1) What do we do?

2) How do we start?

In this article, I will be explaining exactly how to overcome such challenges and create your first exciting Short story.

Writing a short story is something that comes with great pains. Just like other genres, it involves a lot mental reasoning and great imagination. It should be a piece that appeals to readers emotions. Creating a fiction story is communicating a writers imagination and portraying it as reality. Therefore using artistic words to create a human experience. In writing a short story, there are lots of things that should be taking into consideration. What are they? Let’s get started.

[img]https://seahomeschoolers.files./2015/12/img_2079.jpg[/img]

Read

Like I explained in Becoming a better writer, every writer is a reader. Reading is important to anyone who wish to become a story writer. You must have read lots of stories, to know what pattern various authors used impressions on their readers. This in turn, will help you know if you can copy any of the style as basis in order to also create the same impression on your prospective readers. Reading also serves as a motivating factor that can spur you to hurriedly create your first blockbuster fiction story.

Become inspired

Inspiration is highly necessary for writers who are just coming up. For already established professionals, they may be little or no need for inspiration because super ideas already flow through them. But for upcoming writers, there is need for getting the necessary inspiration needed to move you to write. Inspirations might be gotten through songs, movies or any life experience you may have encountered. Inspiration is necessary because, it doesn’t just move you to start, it gives you the necessary support to finish the story till the very end.

Visualize your story

In trying to write your story, you should set out time apart to imagine how you can relate the story in writing to your readers. How do you want to communicate the story to your readers and what factors would play out in the story. Let’s assume you want to write a story on revenge.Who will revenge? Why the revenge? You have to keep bringing exciting features to keep the story top level.

Let’s assume she wants to kill two men. Will they be easy targets or would she have to go round barriers in other to kill her targets. All these could give you a great platform to leverage and finish up the rest of the story in great style.

Create story scenes

Every story ever written is separated into scenes. A scene is the fundamental unit in a novel where action changes according to https:///quTzpl. Therefore in order to keep your story in line with your pre-conceived thoughts, it is advisable to sketch out scenes roughly before writing the story. Doing this helps you analyze what will happen in each particular scene and the characters that will appear there.

Create your characters

Characters are people who will be listed to perform a specific role in the story. For a short story, it is advisable to create not more than 5 characters. Creating more characters would make a new dimension to open up in the story. This in turn, will make the story longer. Thereby boring readers. Characters should speak naturally with their traits, to create a form of originality.

Choose your point of view

How a story is presented is very crucial in any short story creation. Who tells the story, and the way it is expressed will go a long way in having a big impact on the story. It is advisable to think through properly before you finally decide on what point of view you are coming from. Whatever point of view you settle for, it is advisable to maintain it from start to finish of the story

Dish out a super introduction

Nothing holds readers to ransom in a story than the introduction in a story. Whether you will make sense later on along the line would be of little redemption if the intro isn’t captivating. Making your introduction interesting is what will keep the readers glued to your story to the end. In as much as you have made a great intro, never drop along the line. It is important not to give out all information about the story at this point. This will help to keep readers in suspense and make the story more of a mystery.

Build a great plot

According to http://literarydevices.net/plot/, plot is defined as a literary term used to describe the events that make up a story or the main part of a story. These events relate to each other in a pattern or a sequence. The structure of a novel depends on the organization of events in the plot of the story. Working with your introduction, you will be able to draw up events that will put your characters to work. Being able to arrange this turn of events in an intriguing order and creating a sort of mystery around it, you will succeed in holding your readers glued to the story. The more great your plot is, the more interesting your story becomes.

Explain the action, don’t tell it

This point might be a little bit complex for upcoming writers, because of it’s complexity. Most writers tends to tell us an action, instead of portraying it with the characters already assembled. There is a difference between writing about how a character is feeling in a story and using a character to show his/her own feelings.

Rather than saying “Charles was angry and shot him in the neck” say “Charles felt shots of blood to his eyes, and with a smile that wasn’t so friendly, he quickly reached for his revolver and felt the trigger before pulling it. Boom the bullet landed on the guy’s neck” Fantastic you would say, but I need you to try it.

Use active verbs and dialogues

Using active verbs in writing your story helps to inject life into it. Instead of writing “The gun was picked up by Charles before he ran away” which is in the passive form, say “Charles picked up the gun immediately and made way for the exit” active verb.

Dialogues helps to create a scenario that readers can relate to. It is important that you employ it often to keep the story alive. Dialogues are often used with quotes, which helps to explain characters to readers

Example we say: Charles seeing he was surrounded, shouted “Father forgive them” before he detonated the explosive in his hand, killing everybody within his range, including himself.

Conclude briefly

Your conclusion should be brief and should be a summary of what transpired from the start to the finish of the story.

Edit, revise and proofread

These three steps are necessary to make sure that your story is free from errors. Due to rush while typing, writer’s are prone to lots of mistakes. So it is advisable that after typing, you should take time to revise the work and edit while revising, before handing over to someone to proofread for you. This will help keep the story error free.

Writing a story might seem such a difficult task, but if the necessary steps have been taken, you wouldn’t feel much stress writing your first blockbuster story. With time and practice like I mentioned in writing easy articles, you would end out creating your first story with ease. Feel free to contact me for help, and for question/suggestions, do well to use the comment box. Also share my posts so that others can benefit. Thanks!

Source http://topwritersden.com/12-tips-to-write-your-first-short-story/

Cc lalasticlala.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 12 Tips To Write Your First Short Story by Adonis3: 6:42am On Jan 10, 2017

This life sha... to think say Biafrabushboy fit write story

my nigga in the ministry

HIS ROYAL HIGHNESS grin grin grin

Waiting for that person that'll quote the whole post...

#Adonis3HasSpoken
Re: 12 Tips To Write Your First Short Story by daewoorazer(m): 6:55am On Jan 10, 2017
This, is d time to pen my own 'Ali lives in sapele'

1 Like

Re: 12 Tips To Write Your First Short Story by S0l0n(m): 6:58am On Jan 10, 2017
Nice post. Very helpful.
Re: 12 Tips To Write Your First Short Story by ROYH(m): 6:58am On Jan 10, 2017
Noted
Re: 12 Tips To Write Your First Short Story by beycity(m): 7:00am On Jan 10, 2017
Nice tips.
Re: 12 Tips To Write Your First Short Story by LaClickLaBend: 7:08am On Jan 10, 2017
You Try.
Re: 12 Tips To Write Your First Short Story by ChiFavour14: 7:26am On Jan 10, 2017
Really nice and helpful.... Tnkz 4 posting...
Re: 12 Tips To Write Your First Short Story by Nobody: 7:33am On Jan 10, 2017
Just curious, have you ever written a story that makes you popular? Until then, I will advice you keep the tips to yourself.
Re: 12 Tips To Write Your First Short Story by don4real18(m): 7:34am On Jan 10, 2017
Great tips
Re: 12 Tips To Write Your First Short Story by missioner(m): 7:48am On Jan 10, 2017
Thanks Op.. With these tips, once have settled down I will give writing a trial.
Re: 12 Tips To Write Your First Short Story by Divay22(f): 8:18am On Jan 10, 2017
I think this will be useful smiley smiley
Re: 12 Tips To Write Your First Short Story by UjSizzle(f): 9:14am On Jan 10, 2017
Avoid Medplus unless necessary.
Re: 12 Tips To Write Your First Short Story by elfico(m): 11:13am On Jan 10, 2017
I see comments here like "Great tips", "Nice tips" . Hard to tell if its a Nairaland censored word or compliment. lipsrsealed

I will show myself out...

1 Like

Re: 12 Tips To Write Your First Short Story by BiafraBushBoy(m): 11:52am On Jan 10, 2017
Adonis3:

This life sha... to think say Biafrabushboy fit write story

my nigga in the ministry

HIS ROYAL HIGHNESS grin grin grin

Waiting for that person that'll quote the whole post...

#Adonis3HasSpoken

Salute bro cheesy cheesy
Re: 12 Tips To Write Your First Short Story by Adonis7: 1:31pm On Jan 10, 2017

Lol

#Adonis7HasSpoken
Re: 12 Tips To Write Your First Short Story by BiafranBushBoy: 1:40pm On Jan 10, 2017
missioner:
Thanks Op.. With these tips, once have settled down I will give writing a trial.

We can't wait wink
Re: 12 Tips To Write Your First Short Story by BiafranBushBoy: 1:41pm On Jan 10, 2017
daewoorazer:
This, is d time to pen my own 'Ali lives in sapele'

cheesy cheesy... Just add some tragedy to it. You are good to go wink
Re: 12 Tips To Write Your First Short Story by Rx350(m): 4:10pm On Jan 10, 2017
First begin by teaching the mod who moved this to fp how to spell "writing".... Na wah!

(1) (Reply)

I Am Flow1759 / E-book, Wole Soyinka's Lion And The Jewel / For Better, For Worse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.