Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,598 members, 7,812,958 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:46 PM

4 Common Mistakes People Often Make When They Start Blogging - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / 4 Common Mistakes People Often Make When They Start Blogging (8002 Views)

Shocking Mistakes Internet Marketers Often Make / 10 Blog Design Mistakes Bloggers Often Make - Naijatechguy / 4 Common Mistakes When Building Website (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Common Mistakes People Often Make When They Start Blogging by NaijaTechGuy(m): 6:32am On Jan 10, 2017
When I started my first blog in 2013, I made a lot of mistakes which helped me become better at what I'm doing. I'll outline the most common mistakes people make when starting a blog.

1. Not Submitting A Sitemap.

This is very common among new bloggers. A Sitemap helps search engines index your site properly. The result of not adding this causes poor SEO. Submitting a sitemap was the very first thing I did when launched my current blog NaijaTechGuy. As a result, it's helped in the SEO of my blog and most of my traffic come from search engines. I get roughly about  25,000 visits per week from Google.

2. Sharing Posts By Themselves

Sharing your posts by yourself is cool but when you start posting constantly it'll definitely weigh you down. Most New Bloggers tend to do this. The best way i recommend is to use services like IFTTT, Hootsuite, Postcron or Dlvr.

With IFTTT my posts are automatically shared to Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Pinterest, Reddit and other sites as well. Hootsuite and Postcron can help you post in Facebook groups

3. Searching For New Content

This isn't limited to new bloggers. Constantly searching different sites to get what you'll post will get you tired of posting in a short time as you've wasted important time on searching for content. Always use an rss feed reader to curate content. Once the other sites post, you get the update on your phone or computer. It's that simple.

4. Not Choosing A Niche

Some new bloggers don't know anything about choosing a niche. They'll simply rush into entertainment blogging and blog about every thing they come across.  My friend, you're not a newspaper. Get a niche and make yourself a force to reckon with on that niche. Posting about everything simply makes you this -  Jack of all trades but master of none.

I drop my pen at this point.

14 Likes

Re: 4 Common Mistakes People Often Make When They Start Blogging by NaijaTechGuy(m): 6:33am On Jan 10, 2017

1 Like

Re: 4 Common Mistakes People Often Make When They Start Blogging by Nobody: 6:35am On Jan 10, 2017
Very good tips here. Thanks.
Re: 4 Common Mistakes People Often Make When They Start Blogging by Nobody: 6:36am On Jan 10, 2017
Very great tips.
Re: 4 Common Mistakes People Often Make When They Start Blogging by ezychris(m): 6:44am On Jan 10, 2017
Oshe
Re: 4 Common Mistakes People Often Make When They Start Blogging by Adonis3: 6:47am On Jan 10, 2017
NaijaTechGuy:

4. Not Choosing A Niche

Some new bloggers don't know anything about choosing a niche. They'll simply rush into entertainment blogging and blog about every thing they come across.  My friend, you're not a newspaper. Get a niche and make yourself a force to reckon with on that niche. Posting about everything simply makes you this -  Jack of all trades but master of none.

This one is something else,

Some people go into blogging without knowing what they wanna do

All they want is to be like Aunty Linda grin

I advised my friend who wanted to go into blogging against doing the regular gossip thing

There are still many unexplored fields... You even get the advantage of getting exclusive contents rather than venturing into over saturated markets

Nice one op

Iseoluwani:

[i]

Do you have to quote the whole damn post undecided undecided

#Adonis3HasSpoken
Re: 4 Common Mistakes People Often Make When They Start Blogging by LOGDAN(m): 6:48am On Jan 10, 2017
Nice one
Re: 4 Common Mistakes People Often Make When They Start Blogging by Benjom(m): 6:49am On Jan 10, 2017
On point
Re: 4 Common Mistakes People Often Make When They Start Blogging by ednut1(m): 6:50am On Jan 10, 2017
seems this guy dey pay d mods. nice anyways

1 Like

Re: 4 Common Mistakes People Often Make When They Start Blogging by Iseoluwani: 6:50am On Jan 10, 2017
NaijaTechGuy:
When I started my first blog in 2013, I made a lot of mistakes which helped me become better at what I'm doing. I'll outline the most common mistakes people make when starting a blog.

This is very common among new bloggers. A Sitemap helps search engines index your site properly. The result of not adding this causes poor SEO. Submitting a sitemap was the very first thing I did when launched my current blog NaijaTechGuy. As a result, it's helped in the SEO of my blog and most of my traffic come from search engines. I get roughly about  25,000 visits per week from Google.

Sharing your posts by yourself is cool but when you start posting constantly it'll definitely weigh you down. Most New Bloggers tend to do this. The best way i recommend is to use services like IFTTT, Hootsuite, Postcron or Dlvr.

With IFTTT my posts are automatically shared to Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Pinterest, Reddit and other sites as well. Hootsuite and Postcron can help you post in Facebook groups

This isn't limited to new bloggers. Constantly searching different sites to get what you'll post will get you tired of posting in a short time as you've wasted important time on searching for content. Always use an rss feed reader to curate content. Once the other sites post, you get the update on your phone or computer. It's that simple.

4. Not Choosing A Niche

Re: 4 Common Mistakes People Often Make When They Start Blogging by Horlawoomey(m): 6:52am On Jan 10, 2017
Nice.

Honestly choosing a niche will help you a lot as you will be more focused and write solemnly on the topics in that niche.
Re: 4 Common Mistakes People Often Make When They Start Blogging by sandiyke(f): 6:54am On Jan 10, 2017
Very helpful tips.
Re: 4 Common Mistakes People Often Make When They Start Blogging by NaijaTechGuy(m): 6:54am On Jan 10, 2017
ednut1:
seems this guy dey pay d mods. nice anyways
grin grin ... Lol No oh..
Re: 4 Common Mistakes People Often Make When They Start Blogging by Nobody: 7:11am On Jan 10, 2017
NaijaTechGuy:
grin grin ... Lol No oh..
Bros how much dyu make monthly from ur blog
Re: 4 Common Mistakes People Often Make When They Start Blogging by obidevine(m): 7:12am On Jan 10, 2017
NaijaTechGuy:

4. Not Choosing A Niche

Thanks for this, but please why isn't the edit button on nairaland showing?

Re: 4 Common Mistakes People Often Make When They Start Blogging by obidevine(m): 7:13am On Jan 10, 2017
NaijaTechGuy:

4. Not Choosing A Niche

Re: 4 Common Mistakes People Often Make When They Start Blogging by Arnoldo(m): 7:28am On Jan 10, 2017
Nice
Re: 4 Common Mistakes People Often Make When They Start Blogging by moshoodn(m): 7:28am On Jan 10, 2017
Sitemap is very essential..

It is a vital key.
Re: 4 Common Mistakes People Often Make When They Start Blogging by GreatManBee: 7:41am On Jan 10, 2017
Nice.
NaijaTechGuy:

4. Not Choosing A Niche

Re: 4 Common Mistakes People Often Make When They Start Blogging by adeoba2008(m): 7:43am On Jan 10, 2017
Nice one....
Re: 4 Common Mistakes People Often Make When They Start Blogging by checkolatunji: 7:44am On Jan 10, 2017
NaijaTechGuy:

4. Not Choosing A Niche

Good one bro..

Pls which of this is better?

or WordPress

1 Like

Re: 4 Common Mistakes People Often Make When They Start Blogging by bamasite(m): 7:44am On Jan 10, 2017
Excellent writeup. Always on point....kudos to you my guy

FREE BRAIN TRAINING HERE: www.puzzlesplanet..com

1 Like

Re: 4 Common Mistakes People Often Make When They Start Blogging by Nobody: 7:49am On Jan 10, 2017
NaijaTechGuy:

4. Not Choosing A Niche

How does one use IFTTT to share posts?
Re: 4 Common Mistakes People Often Make When They Start Blogging by Solidkay(m): 7:51am On Jan 10, 2017
Deacon cc:ichommy ur attention plss. basedcity247 pls check it out.
Re: 4 Common Mistakes People Often Make When They Start Blogging by ichommy(m): 7:53am On Jan 10, 2017
Solidkay:
Deacon cc:ichommy ur attention plss. basedcity247 pls check it out.

I don read am teytey, Called ya Number yesterday night. Switched Off
Re: 4 Common Mistakes People Often Make When They Start Blogging by Thobiy(m): 7:58am On Jan 10, 2017
I like this post
Re: 4 Common Mistakes People Often Make When They Start Blogging by NaijaTechGuy(m): 8:01am On Jan 10, 2017
ikihealthplus:
Bros how much dyu make monthly from ur blog
80-100k
Re: 4 Common Mistakes People Often Make When They Start Blogging by NaijaTechGuy(m): 8:04am On Jan 10, 2017
Pidgin2:

How does one use IFTTT to share posts?
Download the IFTTT app it's easy to set up
Re: 4 Common Mistakes People Often Make When They Start Blogging by Iseoluwani: 8:19am On Jan 10, 2017
Adonis3:

This one is something else,

Some people go into blogging without knowing what they wanna do

All they want is to be like Aunty Linda grin

I advised my friend who wanted to go into blogging against doing the regular gossip thing

There are still many unexplored fields... You even get the advantage of getting exclusive contents rather than venturing into over saturated markets

Nice one op

[i]

Do you have to quote the whole damn post undecided undecided

#Adonis3HasSpoken

Re: 4 Common Mistakes People Often Make When They Start Blogging by Minabee: 8:22am On Jan 10, 2017
how do you submit sitemap?
NaijaTechGuy:

4. Not Choosing A Niche

how do you submit sitemap?
Re: 4 Common Mistakes People Often Make When They Start Blogging by Teacher1776(m): 8:35am On Jan 10, 2017
Must you quote the entire content before writing your comments?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Best SEO Companies In Nigeria / Open Source Courier Cargo Tracking Software Script Written In Php/mysql / Sms Gateway Provider:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.