Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,700 members, 7,827,568 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:43 PM

Failure Of Cross River State Govt To Pay State Honor Award Sum To Awardees - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Failure Of Cross River State Govt To Pay State Honor Award Sum To Awardees (697 Views)

Corper Proposes To Another Corper In Cross River State (Photos) / Corper Who Died Of Lassa Fever In Cross River State (Photos) / Failure Of Cross River State Govt To Pay State Honor Award Sum To Awardees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Failure Of Cross River State Govt To Pay State Honor Award Sum To Awardees by niyogeol(m): 11:29pm On Jan 10, 2017
I read sometimes ago on the internet how the governor of Cross River State Prof. Ben Ayade gave Senator Ita Giwa sum of five million naira #5,000,000 for opening a restuarant in Calabar. Weeks later, I read another piece on how the same governor gave money to religious body for simply winning a case of age falsification at the supreme court. Sorry to bother you with my sermon. I know some readers will ask what I really want to pass across with this sermon(especially the IDGAF crew... Lol... Please I admonish you to GAF in this instance.

Now to my story. I served in Cross River State during the 2013/2014 batch C service year. In the course of my service year, I was among the corps members who were given NYSC state honor award or Governor's award as it is fondly called for distinguishing themselves in the course of the service year. We all did one developmental project or the other. This award comes with a cash prize of #50,000. The sum might sound small considering how much is given to Miss Nigeria, Miss Calabar et al... But the truth is, as I write this piece, the said sum has not been paid.

I am not blaming Prof Ben Ayade for this considering he was not the governor during the year in question. Senator Liyel Imoke was the man at the helm of affairs during the said year. But it happened to be the year preceeding elections. We were told the governor is not chanced to sign the award certificates we were to be given and also the award sum. In my case, my certificate got to me in 2015 with assurance that #50,000 will follow suit in no distant time. I still await this sum till date. I know the 10 awardees would have gotten car gifts if it were to be a kind of pageantry.

This happening further butress the reality being faced in Nigeria where things that don't count, counts more to our leaders. It is a shame that young ones who sacrificed their time and energy to moblise resources to help bring development in their little way to the host communities they served are treated this way. It shows their effort is not recognised.

This piece is inspired by Xfire. A nairalander who just rolled out a scholarship award to fellow nairalanders. Even some so called honourable members and senators can't boast of this achievement to their constituents.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Borno State Is A Scam! Pcm Beware! / NYSC Loses Three Corp Members,23 To Repeat Service. / SARS' Stray Bullets Killed A Boy Watching Football Match At A Viewing Center

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.