Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,668 members, 7,854,827 topics. Date: Sunday, 09 June 2024 at 08:20 AM

Job Search: Learn From My Friend's Mistakes - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Job Search: Learn From My Friend's Mistakes (623 Views)

5 Things Every Job Seeker Should Know Before Starting Their Job Search / 5 Ways The COVID-19 Pandemic Will Affect Your Job Search / Understanding Timing In Job Search In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Job Search: Learn From My Friend's Mistakes by ImpactBooks: 1:41pm On Jan 12, 2017
"Giving room for human being to determine what you become in life or the role of God in your life, make you to be a servant to them”. “Please don't depend on human being they will fail you and disappoint you, put all your hope and believe in most high God that will not disappoint you”. The above quotes were culled from the Facebook wall of a friend of mine who I have chosen not to disclose his name. However, I strongly believe that he will after reading this piece accept the bitter truth in it after all he has also shared in one of his recent posts that, “Truth is bitter and hard to believe but never shy away to say the truth always , some will take it and some will fight you”. Foremost, I need to emphasis that my friend present predicament is JOB. He needs a new job having lost his last job few years back. As a friend, I have tried in my little way to ‘teach him how to fish’ and not ‘giving him a fish’. But, from my friend’s body language, it appears he prefers being given a fish and that of which is against my life philosophy. ‘Why this piece’, I can hear you saying. You see, the greatest mistake that people often make in life is the attitude of holding people around them responsible for their failures or predicaments. We never look inward to hold ourselves accountable for our (in) actions.

From the two opening quotes of this piece, one could easily read the mind of my friend-blaming people around him for his inability to secure a new job yet. But, my friend has refused to learn ‘how to fish’ and this is the missing like which he is yet to bridge. Let me share with you those few things that my friend is still getting wrong and in which he has failed to hold himself accountable for:
Image may contain: one or more people and suit

1. UN-UPDATED ‘CV’: Since my friend graduated from school with an HND (Accounting) in the year 2009 (or so), he has refused to add more certificate to his ‘CV’. I keep telling those who care to listen that, HND or B.sc is like school cert. in the Nigeria labour market of today, getting a job out of the little ones available, requires much more than just an HND or B.sc. If you are seeking for job with the same ‘CV’ for like 4 or 5 years, the sad news is that, your chance is very slim.

2. LUCRATIVE JOB: In Nigeria today, I am yet to experience the job that is very lucrative. Many job seekers are always looking for the so called lucrative job. In all honesty, lucrative job do exist and we all deserve one. But, with the current economic reality (recession) that people are losing jobs, it is therefore a simple wisdom that any available job is as good as being lucrative after all, survival is what matters most.

3. EGO: With my experience in the educational sector and publishing industry, school business offers job opportunity the most even though the remuneration may not be that ‘high’ as expected. But, yet you will hear many job seekers saying things like, “No, I can’t teach”. “Why should I be teaching after all, I am an Accountant”. “No I can’t teach because schools don’t pay ‘big’ salary” etc. You have forgotten so soon that an idle hand is the devil’s workshop.

4. ENTERPRENEURSHIP: Believe me, before now; I belong to the school of thought that believes that not everybody is cut-out to do business. But, my vast reading culture and exposure has changed my orientation about this. I have long realized that being one’s boss is the best! Yes, I am in a paid employment today but with all humility I have set up a business that I can always fall back to any day, anytime should in case of any eventuality. That is my golden insurance.

5. NETWORKING: In our local parlance, we all know that getting job in Nigeria of today ‘na who know who’. The question therefore is, ‘who do you know’? Take a stock count of who your friends are; not in quantity but quality! Are the people or friends around you are the types that can perhaps get you connected (possibly) for a job? You cannot sit down in your living room and expect to be connected. You need to stand up, move around and meet (new) people that can get you connected.

6. SELF-HELP: There is an anonymous that says, ‘the only true help is self-help’. If you are one person that has run afoul of any of the above points, you are truly not helping yourself. Stop blaming people around you for your present situation. You need to do something different. Only a fool will continue to do a thing the same way and expect a different result. If you have been doing something in the time past and yet no positive result, perhaps it is time for you to do it differently; add more flavor! Your present jobless situation should not make you believe less in yourself.

Conclusively, this piece is not about my friend alone but someone out there who may be passing through the same situation. Gold or silver I have none but, here is what I can and will always share with you gladly.

Blessings!
Re: Job Search: Learn From My Friend's Mistakes by Nobody: 2:00pm On Jan 12, 2017
impressive.

(1) (Reply)

Open Interview At U-connect Human Resources. / Dangote Group Ongoing Recruitment / Hotel Ibis Nigeria Latest Recruitment (4 Vacant Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.