Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,283 members, 7,811,836 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:48 PM

Are Professors Intimidated By Intelligent Students? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Are Professors Intimidated By Intelligent Students? (669 Views)

Mass Communication Degree To Be Phased Out As Professors Submit New Curricula / Ada Peter, Evans Osarobuohien, Roland Tolulope Loto, Professors In Their 30s / Nigerian Universities With The Highest Number Of Professors - NUC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Are Professors Intimidated By Intelligent Students? by ItuExchange(m): 10:56pm On Jan 13, 2017
Why or why not?

Not at all.

Think about what causes intimidation. It's a lack of confidence in yourself when faced with someone who you think is better/smarter/stronger/.... If you're confident in who you are and what you've accomplished, then there's no fear or intimidation when faced with someone who is better than you.

If you're lucky enough to get a PhD, work on interesting research problems, and work in the same community as the top people in your field, then you have to come to grips with your own limitations. You have to accept the fact that no matter how good you are, or how much better you can get with age and experience and hard work, there will always be those who are better than you, smarter, faster, more creative or knowledgeable than you. It's just the way the world works.

Chances are you're not the next Stephen Hawking, or Linus Pauling, Newton, Tesla or DaVinci. Even they had to contend with contemporaries who were often better, faster, or luckier. So you have to manage that ego. Otherwise, you'd just go nuts. I've been lucky enough to work in a community with some truly exceptional people, and I'm happy to call some of the smartest people I've ever met my friends and colleagues. But if I constantly compared myself and competed with them, I would literally be a complete mess.

So my point is that by the time you get to be a professor, chances are you've already known and worked with some of the best minds on the planet, minds that force to you accept your own limitations on a daily basis. I've met, taught, and mentored some exceptionally intelligent students. And certainly a number of them have been smarter than me, some much smarter. But we're confident in what we've accomplished and who we are, and just hope that these great students with huge potential can have the same luck that we've had, and fulfill their potential.

(EDIT): I have to say I am very surprised by the # of views and votes this answer has received. I had no idea this question was of such interest to students and Quora users in general. Still puzzled as to why it's so interesting.

Source: https://www.quora.com/Are-professors-intimidated-by-intelligent-students

Neteller here: www..com.ng
Re: Are Professors Intimidated By Intelligent Students? by LordIsaac(m): 11:45pm On Jan 13, 2017
Professors? No. MSc holders and a few Ph. D holders, a big Yes! Why? Insecurity!

(1) (Reply)

Memo: Why Unilorin Canceled The Admission Of 900 Fresh Students / . / Jamb Finally Announces The Date For 2017 Utme Exam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.