Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,732 members, 7,817,014 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:02 PM

Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria (4889 Views)

Luxury Buses Banned In Kano State As Traders Lament / Iran Plane Crash: The victims Of Ukraine Flight By Nationality / What Nationality Is Given To A Baby Born On A Plane? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:32am On Jan 17, 2017
TWoods:

I'm sure the likes of Tony Elumelu have one too (for the sake of their children at least). You can easily get a US green card using the EB5 category if you invest $500,000 in a US company. It amazes me how easily hoodwinked the likes of pidgin2 are. Raped by her politicians and forced to love a country that cares nothing for her.

So I should hate my country?
Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:49am On Jan 17, 2017
TWoods:

huh? I know many Nigerians and Americans whose parents live with them permanently. It is not true that western cultures encourage you to put your old parents in a retirement home... this occurs because there are welfare schemes in place that allow older folks to live as independently as possible until they are no longer able to. Social security ensures they get a pay check for life as soon as they turn 65. Medicare ensures they get all the medical care they get for extremely cheap. This can include having a nurse that comes to check on them daily, or a home of their own in hospice care if needed. Why throw away these benefits just because you want your parents to live with you?

Lets be frank, in Nigeria, our parents live with us BECAUSE THEIR IS NO OTHER CHOICE! It is either that or they starve to death in a nondescript home (if they aren't already homeless). Its not because we have a culture of taking care of our parents more than others.

I've read through your previous posts and its clearer to me that your motivation isn't really that you love Nigeria, you are simply grasping for anything positive about Nigeria to make you feel better, since you cannot immigrate legally. If you had a choice, you would leave Nigeria in a heartbeat.

If you had the option to chose between living with your kids and grandkids in a loving home when you are old or living in a home for the elderly with food and medical care which would you prefer?

Haha to you no sane humanbeing should love Nigeria, right? Well I'm not grasping for anything to love about my country because the country as an entity has offered me all I need to prosper; the land is green, the soil is fertile, there is abundance of rain and sunlight and I am grateful for this.
Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:07am On Jan 17, 2017
Pidgin2:

Unfortunately, he has the money to throw around like that but does this mean we should condemn our health system because some of our leaders are Je.rrks? I think it's time to look inwards lie the Cubans have done

I spent a few months in one rural community while volunteering and I saw agile old men and women in their 80s and 90s trekking long distances, lifting 25kg of water several times a day and i was perplexed, those old people were very strong and in good health too.

Of course they never spent thousands of dollars in a foreign hospital taking care of their health rather they relied on the knowledge our ancestors had left behind for them, lived close to nature and ate natural food

Compare this to elderly people living in urban centres and Western communities who become frail and ill far too early. You see them in Europe and America walking alone with their bent backs in harsh whether most of them so frail and dependent on helpers it's sad.
For ur Buhari and others to frequent foreign hospitals means they don't trust what is here. For good reasons! But the impoverished will suit themselves!
Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:10am On Jan 17, 2017
Pidgin2:

So I should hate my country?
There is no country.
Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:32am On Jan 17, 2017
elfmann:

There is no country.

There is.
Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:38am On Jan 17, 2017
elfmann:

For ur Buhari and others to frequent foreign hospitals means they don't trust what is here. For good reasons! But the impoverished will suit themselves!

Nigeria is not a poor country.

Here is a poor country that has put the West's health care system to shame

https://thehealthorange.com/whats-new/cuban-health-paradox/

http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Cuban-Life-Expectancy-Among-the-Highest-in-World-at-78.45-Years-20150526-0011.html

http://www.ratb.org.uk/news/cuba/321-why-is-cubas-healthcare-system-the-best-model
Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by ttmacoy: 8:27am On Jan 17, 2017
justwise:

I think before you make such assumption you need to find out first if i have any remote political interest in Nigeria.

Moderating travel section got nothing to do with nationality, i don't need work permit to do so and this is purely a volunteering

Slightly off topic but with all the work and effort you have put to this forum and the success of nairaland you and other moderators should be getting paid now. Either in form of salary or something like stock options which can be valuable should nairaland go public in the future.
Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by ttmacoy: 8:42am On Jan 17, 2017
You don't have to be a dual citizen to steal and lodge money abroad and not many Nigerian politicians who have done such have dual citizenship

Pidgin2:

Thank you for this candid response. They will no longer steal and lodge their funds in foreign accounts except their plan is to eventually give up their citizenship but here is where it gets better, their kids may also have to give up their own citizenship as there is a saying that "where your treasure is, is where your heart will be" this would spare us from having more of our wealth and position of influence stolen by the children of these wicked people

Another point is that they will be fewer reasons to acquire property abroad except such people are prepared to give up their Nigerian citizenship for that of their host countries(especially in countries where you have to be a citizen to own property) because once they accept their citizenship over there then they seize to be Nigerians. I think this will help us in reducing the effect of the wickedness of some of our thoughtless country men and women who steal here and invest the money abroad

Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:43am On Jan 17, 2017
LoL so @PIDGIN2 after derailing FRANKS thread you Opened this One LoL keep it UP

1 Like

Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by Ugosample(m): 9:30am On Jan 17, 2017
MrnovaLyn:
LoL so @PIDGIN2 after derailing FRANKS thread you Opened this One LoL keep it UP

grin grin

You too noticed

ALL the comments show his/her state of mind

1 Like

Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by bebe2(f): 10:08am On Jan 17, 2017
Pidgin2:

Our population should be over 170 million and counting, of course you will have isolated cases like this or are there no serial killers in the West or no drive - by shootings and racial killings in America any longer?

http://timelines.latimes.com/deadliest-shooting-rampages/

http://www.mirror.co.uk/all-about/murder

RIP to our veteran tho

Yes there are killings in the west plenty sef,

But u call this isolated?? shocked shocked . Have a nice day
Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:43am On Jan 17, 2017
Ugosample:

grin grin

You too noticed

ALL the comments show his/her state of mind

the funny part is HE/SHE sound Pained... always hating others in Diaspora for no Reason.

1 Like

Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:47pm On Jan 17, 2017
Pidgin2:

There is.
Na u know dat one.
Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by maternal: 9:22pm On Jan 17, 2017
Pidgin2:

If you had the option to chose between living with your kids and grandkids in a loving home when you are old or living in a home for the elderly with food and medical care which would you prefer?

Haha to you no sane humanbeing should love Nigeria, right? Well I'm not grasping for anything to love about my country because the country as an entity has offered me all I need to prosper; the land is green, the soil is fertile, there is abundance of rain and sunlight and I am grateful for this.

The home is usually not loving. It's filled with hostility as the elderly person is usually a burden. Having your loved ones coming by every now and then, while maintaining your independence is a better balance.

1 Like

Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by justwise(m): 10:17pm On Jan 17, 2017
ttmacoy:

Slightly off topic but with all the work and effort you have put to this forum and the success of nairaland you and other moderators should be getting paid now. Either in form of salary or something like stock options which can be valuable should nairaland go public in the future.

I guess that is too late now as it has become a way of life for some of us.
Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by dasparrow: 10:01am On Jan 22, 2017
maternal:

The home is usually not loving. It's filled with hostility as the elderly person is usually a burden. Having your loved ones coming by every now and then, while maintaining your independence is a better balance.

I agree. Someone like me enjoys my space, peace and quiet even now that I am still young. Why would I in my old age want to go and live with my son or daughter and their battalion kids? I love my independence and my peace and quiet. I don't like big families anyway with too many people. Besides, not all couples love the idea of having elderly in-laws living with them.
Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by unipol(m): 1:50pm On Jan 22, 2017
Just forget it. Nigeria passport is still a counterfeit. If u want two, u can still get it. Give me 20 Togolese and I will get them 20 Nigerian passport in a day. So why fighting for something u easily get anytime u want.
Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:36pm On Jan 22, 2017
unipol:
Just forget it. Nigeria passport is still a counterfeit. If u want two, u can still get it. Give me 20 Togolese and I will get them 20 Nigerian passport in a day. So why fighting for something u easily get anytime u want.

Are you into passport racketeering?
Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by mctowel01: 3:19am On Jan 23, 2017
Pidgin2:

Are you into passport racketeering?
Nah..he doesn't have to be. I recently got my passport and I know the illegitimate process involved. I can also get one for a non Nigerian.
Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:22am On Jan 23, 2017
mctowel01:

Nah..he doesn't have to be. I recently got my passport and I know the illegitimate process involved. I can also get one for a non Nigerian.

There is no way you can get a Nigerian passport without paying a visit to an immigration office here to give your biometric.

Claiming that you can even get one easily for a non-Nigerian shouldn't be a thing of pride but rather you should be ashamed of boasting about it.

If such a person takes advantage of the easy access to our passport, commits a crime, then claims to be a Nigerian when arrested he will be tarnishing our image and all of us, including you will bear the consequence of his actions because you will experience discrimination if you attempt to visit any country where the crime was committed

Our problem is that most people don't think long term rather majority are after short term gratification. Highest it is 50K you collect to tarnish the image of your country, smh
Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by mctowel01: 7:48am On Jan 23, 2017
Pidgin2:

There is no way you can get a Nigerian passport without paying a visit to an immigration office here to give your biometric.

Claiming that you can even get one easily for a non-Nigerian shouldn't be a thing of pride but rather you should be ashamed of boasting about it.

If such a person takes advantage of the easy access to our passport, commits a crime, then claims to be a Nigerian when arrested he will be tarnishing our image and all of us, including you will bear the consequence of his actions because you will experience discrimination if you attempt to visit any country where the crime was committed

Our problem is that most people don't think long term rather majority are after short term gratification. Highest it is 50K you collect to tarnish the image of your country, smh
You are very funny. You re indirectly shooting yourself in the foot with your comment. Am I the immigration minister? Do I look like the person who designed the system? You clearly stated the apparent negatives of the current method of governance and ought to direct your lamentations to the persons in charge. I m definitely not proud of it, but what can I do when its the current system I m subjected to. There is the official online platform for applying for passport at less than N20k, yet you will wait years, with no guarantee to get it eventually. If you take 40k to immigration officials in various passport offices, you get it in few ours or the next day.
Is the immigration minister/top government officials not aware of these?.
I m on a WhatsApp group consisting of various nationalities trying to take an exam. I m now called "Nigerian prince" (jokingly) simply because they usually get scam lottery mails and they wonder whether there are so many millionaires in Nigeria. This definitely motivates me to get another passport. Take it or leave it, Nigeria's passport is even more of a threat. These things start from the top and has become a culture.. The best place to address your concerns is to the people in charge and not to me.
This, amongst a host of numerous reasons is why we simply prefer not to pitch our tents in the space called Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:46pm On Jan 24, 2017
unipol:

My dear, please give up this argument. Contact me and I will tell u a genuine way of travelling.

Lol you are so funny, name the three major countries your counterpart desperados are selling their inheritance for and I will tell you I have been there before cheesy

The reason why I keep smh for folks like you is that travelling is not as hard as you all make it look, all the Embassy officials want to know is that you are genuinely seeking a visa for the purpose you stated in your application form. They are even ready to give you a visa even though you might be traveling on a budget, shior.
Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by unipol(m): 10:25pm On Jan 24, 2017
Pidgin2:

Lol you are so funny, name the three major countries your counterpart desperados are selling their inheritance for and I will tell you I have been there before cheesy

The reason why I keep smh for folks like you is that travelling is not as hard as you all make it look, all the Embassy officials want to know is that you are genuinely seeking a visa for the purpose you stated in your application form. They are even ready to give you a visa even though you might be traveling on a budget, shior.

My dear, I love Nigeria more than anybody else. But unfortunately, Nigeria has disappointed its citizens. Unless u are telling me you love Nigeria more than your soul?
By the way, when next are u coming to Germany? I would love to take you around?
Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:32pm On Jan 24, 2017
unipol:

My dear, I love Nigeria more than anybody else. But unfortunately, Nigeria has disappointed its citizens. Unless u are telling me you love Nigeria more than your soul?
By the way, when next are u coming to Germany? I would love to take you around?

How did Nigeria disappoint its citizens? It's just like saying Ghana disappointed its citizens or South Africa disappointed its citizens.

Is Nigeria a human being?

Top 3 most wanted countries by Nigerians include: UK, US and Canada. I have never been interested in visiting any non English speaking country although I have breezed through Germany sha it seems the people are multilingual but they prefer speaking their language.
Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by Candybob(m): 5:59pm On Mar 14, 2017
It should apply to those seeking political office.

I agree that truly these guys with dual nationality are prone to unpatriotic tendencies, always making noise about their foreign passports, which unfortunately means nothing when the pot starts boiling.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Skydivers Jumped Out Of Plane, Formed A Floating Circle At 15,000ft(Pics) / Welcome To Russia / Go To Badagry This Easter: Budget Using My Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.