Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,189 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:58 AM

Does Animal Sacrifice In The Old Testament Justify Jesus Sacrifice On The Cross? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does Animal Sacrifice In The Old Testament Justify Jesus Sacrifice On The Cross? (491 Views)

3 Men Carrying Sacrifice In Ikorodu, Forced To Eat It (Photos) / 'Voice Of The Cross' Performs At The Lord's Chosen Crusade In Mgbidi Imo / Man Posts Bottle Of Beer And Bible Verse To Justify His Drink (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Animal Sacrifice In The Old Testament Justify Jesus Sacrifice On The Cross? by Abdulgaffar22: 9:53am On Jan 15, 2017
Christians believe that it is only the sacrificial blood of Jesus that can take away our sins i:e it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins(Hebrews 10:4): yet Leviticus 16:21-30 says "the GOAT will carry on itself all the sins of Israelites to a remote place and the man shall release the goat in the wilderness......Then before the LORD, you will be clean from all your sins”. But Christian scholars usually proclaim that animal sacrifices could only “cover” sins; they could not take them away; but when Jesus shed his own blood, then the sins were taken away. But is there any indication whatsoever in the verse quoted above that the sins of Israelites were only covered and not completely taken away? God says: “Then before the LORD, you will be CLEAN FROM ALL YOUR SINS”. To insist and proclaim that there is a difference between “take away of sins” and “clean from all sins” is only an attempt to resolve an obvious and irreconcilable contradiction between Hebrews 10:4andLeviticus 16:21-30. The only way to resolve this contradiction is when the term “take away of sins” in Hebrews 10:4implies complete removal of humanity sinful nature; and NOT achieving divine forgiveness for already committed sins. However, complete removal of humanity sinful nature by blood of Jesus is impossible as nobody can be completely free from committing minor sins; “If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us(1 John 1:cool”. Besides, if removal of humanity sinful nature is compulsorily required for salvation and the ONLY WAY to achieve this is by shedding of Jesus’ blood on the cross, then how did old Testament saints like Abraham, Moses, Ezekiel, Joshua, Jeremiah etc and their sincere followers managed to have eternal life? The blood of Jesus can never remove their sinful nature because these people have already lived and died before the alleged crucifixion. Again, their already committed sins have been forgiven through animal sacrifices in the book of Leviticus when God Almighty declare as follows; THEN BEFORE THE LORD, YOU WILL BE CLEAN FROM ALL YOUR SINS (Leviticus 16:30). There is no any indication in this very verse that their sins is only temporarily erased and then would permanently taken away by blood of Jesus. Therefore, if some set of people among the children of Adam, who live and die before Jesus arrival, can attain salvation, righteousness and reconciliation back to God, then is there need again for just and merciful God to curse and condemn an innocent soul on the cross before another set of people among the children of the same Adam can attain similar triumph?
Again, Christians believe that divine forgiveness and remission of sins can ONLY be obtained by shedding of blood (Hebrews 9:22): yet in 2nd Chronicles 7:14, God Almighty says “If My people, who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will FORGIVE THEIR SINS and will heal their land.”. Again in Isaiah 55:7,God Almighty declares; let the wicked forsake their ways and the unrighteous their thought. Let them turn to the LORD; He will have mercy on them, and to our God, for he will FREELY PARDON. Furthermore, in Ezekiel 33: 10-16,God says; “Son of man, say to the Israelites; this is what you are saying: our offenses and sins weigh us down, and we are wasting away because of them. How then can we live? Say to them: as surely as I live declares the sovereign Lord, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live. Turn! Turn from your evil ways! Why will you die, people of Israel? Therefore, son of man say to your people… if someone one who is wicked REPENTS, that person’s former wickedness will not bring condemnation… And if I say to the wicked person, you will surely die, but they then turn from their sins and do what is just and right…follow the decree that gives life, and do no evil--that person will surely live: they will not die. NONE OF THE SINS that person has committed will be remembered against them. They have done what is just and right; they will surely live”. You can see that God did not ask the wicked sinners to shed any blood before their sins can be forgiven in all these verses. What He actually wants from them is sincere repentance from their sinful ways. Christians generally insist that the absolute need for vicarious blood sacrifice is rooted in the Torah, and cite as proof Leviticus 17:11 which says: “For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls; for it is the blood that makes an atonement for the soul.” But does this verse clearly teach that blood is the ONLY means God has provided to make atonement? Certainly not! In the Torah, blood sacrifices were not the only path to atonement; there were other ways to achieve forgiveness. For example, INCENSE served to atone for the people in Numbers 16:46-47, and GIVING CHARITY is described in Exodus 30:15-16 and Numbers 31:50 as "MAKING ATONEMENT FOR YOUR SOUL"– the same expression used in Leviticus 17:11. In fact, King Solomon prophesied that the Jewish people would earn forgiveness for their sins in the land of their enemies by sincere repentance and prayer where they could not have access to blood atonement sacrifices; "If they RETURN TO YOU WITH ALL THEIR HEART AND WITH ALL THEIR SOUL in the land of their enemies who have taken them captive, and PRAY TO YOU TOWARD their LAND which You have given to their fathers, the CITY which You have chosen, and the HOUSE which I have built for Your name; then hear their prayer and their supplication in heaven Your dwelling place, and maintain their cause, and FORGIVE Your people who have sinned against You and ALL THEIR TRANSGRESSIONS which they have transgressed against You…” (I Kings 8:46-50). All these facts prove that Hebrew 9:22 is WRONG by asserting that without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sins. Again, when Daniel advised the King Nebuchadnezzar on how he would atone for his sins and his iniquities, he did not ask the King to shed any blood. Read what he asked the King to do:"Therefore, O king, let my counsel be acceptable unto you, and break off your sins by PRACTICING RIGHTEOUSNESS, and your iniquities by SHOWING MERCY TO THE POOR(Daniel 4:27)". Hence, if; 1.animal sacrifice is sufficient to atone for our sins 2.shedding of blood is not the only way to earn divine forgiveness and 3. there is no way forJesus blood to remove the sinful nature of the past and present generations, then there is no need for Jesus to die on the cross. And if there is no need for Jesus to die on the cross, then he must have escaped death on the cross as stated clearly in Qur'an 4:157-158.
Re: Does Animal Sacrifice In The Old Testament Justify Jesus Sacrifice On The Cross? by J3RK: 10:01am On Jan 15, 2017
Re: Does Animal Sacrifice In The Old Testament Justify Jesus Sacrifice On The Cross? by thorpido(m): 10:08am On Jan 15, 2017
The sacrifice of goats and bulls they made took away their sins for a 'season' and that is why they had to do those sacrifices yet again and again.If the blood could completely take away their sins,they wouldn't need to REPEAT the sacrifice.
That shows the sacrifice of goats and bulls only 'covered' the sins but could not cleanse it.
Jesus' sacrifice was done once and for all.God recognises the sacrifice as one to cleanse man from sin because Jesus was born pure of sin.
When you say how come people still sin,you don't understand the concept of sin.Sin comes first from a nature and not just the act.Man is born with a sin nature and the man that receives forgiveness accepts a new nature and that is where the phrase 'born again' comes from.You receive a new nature and you are free from the sin nature.That does not men you cannot do something wrong,but you go through a process of growth just like a new born baby who has to learn and grow.He can't walk as a baby,nevertheless,he's still human.
Re: Does Animal Sacrifice In The Old Testament Justify Jesus Sacrifice On The Cross? by Abdulgaffar22: 10:52am On Jan 15, 2017
If Jesus sacrifice is ONLY the sacrifice that can take away our sinful nature because animal sacrifice could only cover the sins for a season, then what is the fate of old testament saints like Abraham, Moses, etc and their sincere followers who lived and died before Jesus crucifixion? Or were they not among the children of Adam that required Jesus sacrifice in order to be "born again"? Again, what is the ACTUAL CONNECTION between the death of Jesus on the cross and becoming a "born again" Christian? If the REPEATED animal sacrifice is enough for the people of old testament to gain salvation, then it is better for God to allow the sacrifice to continue instead of cursing and condemning an innocent human soul on the cross. Of course, goats and rams are yet to become extinct.But if the REPEATED animal sacrifice is not enough for the old testament saints then the only thing that Jesus sacrifice can do for them is to clean their ALREADY COMMITED SINS because their sinful nature cannot be removed by Jesus sacrifice since they have lived and died before Jesus crucifixion.However, God also informed us that repeated animal sacrifice had taken away their ALREADY COMMITED SINS(Leviticus 16:30) Beside there are different ways of achieving divine forgiveness for already committed sins apart from shedding of blood as explained in the original post above. Therefore, again, Jesus sacrifice is unnecessary. Hence if Jesus sacrifice has no any contribution whatsoever in the salvation of old testament saints who happened to be among the children of the first Adam, then Jesus sacrifice is also not necessary for the salvation of the present children of the same Adam. Therefore, there is no need for Jesus to die as an accursed person (Galatians 3:13) on the cross . Furthermore as explained in the latter part of original post above, Hebrew 9:22 which assert that the forgiveness of sins can ONLY be obtained by shedding of blood is TOTALLY WRONG
Re: Does Animal Sacrifice In The Old Testament Justify Jesus Sacrifice On The Cross? by thorpido(m): 2:37pm On Jan 15, 2017
If the sacrifice they made with goats and bulls could cleanse their sins permanently,they wouldn't need to keep repeating the sacrifice.It was because the cleansing only sufficed for a season(a year maybe).There is no evidence that the people who died in the old testament went to heaven.The bible shows however shows us something.
Ephesians 4:8.says, Jesus led captivity captive...' which means He overcame the captor and freed the captives.
And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.Colosians 2:15
Who are these captives and how come Jesus released them from Hades?

Jesus went into Hades when He died and overcame the devil with His redemptive works and freed the captives in Hades who were held captive by their sins.The people who died according to the law were judged according to the law.However,no man can keep the law perfectly and I hope you know what that means.

By the way,I learnt the quran says Allah will put muslims in hell first before later removing them.
Re: Does Animal Sacrifice In The Old Testament Justify Jesus Sacrifice On The Cross? by Abdulgaffar22: 5:54pm On Jan 15, 2017
Please can you just show me a single verse from Jesus mouth that He would go into the hell to save the captives therein? Again, show me an old testament verse to prove that Abraham, Moses and all other old testament saints were in the hell fire until they were rescued from it by Jesus. All these stories were formulated without any verse from Jesus to back them up. Qur'an did not say that the righteous were in hell until they were rescued from it. What Qur'an says is this: "There is not one of you but will PASS OVER the hell fire.... Then We shall save the pious ones and left the wrong doers therein on their knees (Qur'an 19:71-72. According to Sahih Al-Bukhari Hadith No 532B, a very tiny bridge will be set over the hell fire and all the people will be made to pass through it. The wrong doers will slip into the hell from that bridge and the pious will be delivered safely till they enter the paradise. This will only happen on the day of Judgement.
Re: Does Animal Sacrifice In The Old Testament Justify Jesus Sacrifice On The Cross? by sonmvayina(m): 6:10pm On Jan 15, 2017
The old testament God(Marduk :::Isaiah 45,) never liked or condoned human sacrifice, the idea of this God sacrificing Jesus to himself is stupid and absurd..it is the stupidity of the early romans at play....
Re: Does Animal Sacrifice In The Old Testament Justify Jesus Sacrifice On The Cross? by crimeboss: 6:50pm On Jan 15, 2017
thorpido:
If the sacrifice they made with goats and bulls could cleanse their sins permanently,they wouldn't need to keep repeating the sacrifice.It was because the cleansing only sufficed for a season(a year maybe).There is no evidence that the people who died in the old testament went to heaven.The bible shows however shows us something.
Ephesians 4:8.says, Jesus led captivity captive...' which means He overcame the captor and freed the captives.
And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.Colosians 2:15
Who are these captives and how come Jesus released them from Hades?

Jesus went into Hades when He died and overcame the devil with His redemptive works and freed the captives in Hades who were held captive by their sins.The people who died according to the law were judged according to the law.However,no man can keep the law perfectly and I hope you know what that means.

By the way,I learnt the quran says Allah will put muslims in hell first before later removing them.
obviously my brother that's definitely true, but u can never hear them talk about that which to me is unfair to those who are adherents in their faith.
Re: Does Animal Sacrifice In The Old Testament Justify Jesus Sacrifice On The Cross? by crimeboss: 6:53pm On Jan 15, 2017
sonmvayina:
The old testament God(Marduk :::Isaiah 45,) never liked or condoned human sacrifice, the idea of this God sacrificing Jesus to himself is stupid and absurd..it is the stupidity of the early romans at play....
u are forgetting that Jesus rose again from the dead, a spectacular feat if u will agree.
Re: Does Animal Sacrifice In The Old Testament Justify Jesus Sacrifice On The Cross? by sonmvayina(m): 9:34pm On Jan 15, 2017
crimeboss:

u are forgetting that Jesus rose again from the dead, a spectacular feat if u will agree.

Let me put it into proper perspective...the old testament contain the beliefs of the jews, it has got nothing to do with the jesus story as contained in the greek/roman new testament..if you read through the jews scripture there is no idea of God mating with women and death is a punishment..they are just 2 Different ideologies.

(1) (Reply)

National Fasting And Prayer For Christians On Monday 23rd January 2017 / Urgently Needed / Absence Of Belief In Gods

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.