Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,158 members, 7,818,515 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:46 PM

Are They Cobol Programmers/jobs In Nigeria? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Are They Cobol Programmers/jobs In Nigeria? (1256 Views)

Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate / Why Do Programmers Still Look For Job? / Top 8 Reasons Why You Should Learn COBOL (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are They Cobol Programmers/jobs In Nigeria? by asalimpo(m): 8:00pm On Jan 15, 2017
Reading about cobol and the many million lines of code being written in it yearly and the billions (about 220b)
in existence and the extreme cost it would take to switch to newer languages, i got to wonder if nigeria
is faced by this problem? Or java our own cobol?

How about languages like:

lisp -
haskell-
scala -
erlang-

Any company using them here?
Re: Are They Cobol Programmers/jobs In Nigeria? by asalimpo(m): 8:21pm On Jan 15, 2017
" COBOL was said to be dying in 1970 and in 2015 – 45 years later it’s still here. UNIX and other operating systems can’t handle the capacity of mainframes in data heavy applications. The one thing that COBOL & mainframes do well is volume processing. Processing trillions of transactions a day requires throughput and UNIX/LINUX just doesn’t cut it."
Re: Are They Cobol Programmers/jobs In Nigeria? by asalimpo(m): 8:56pm On Jan 15, 2017
" We are in 2049 and scientists wake up a man who had been frozen many years ago and had a terminal illness.
– Oh, did you find a cure for my disease? asks the man.
– No – they answer – we desperately need a Cobol programmer…
"

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are They Cobol Programmers/jobs In Nigeria? by Craigston: 9:44pm On Jan 15, 2017
None that I've heard of. I recently got a whiff of Lisp and I'm itching to learning it soon. But those brackets...

1 Like

Re: Are They Cobol Programmers/jobs In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:31am On Jan 16, 2017
Craigston:
None that I've heard of. I recently got a whiff of Lisp and I'm itching to learning it soon. But those brackets...

I would be learning scheme (a dialect of Lisp) sometime around June.. I plan to read the sicp book from MIT (scheme is the Language used there)

I don't think new softwares are built in cobol.. Just maintenence since the big rewrite is damn costly
Re: Are They Cobol Programmers/jobs In Nigeria? by appcypher: 7:06pm On Jan 16, 2017
Craigston:
Lisp is cool, but if you want a modern version of it, check out Clojure.
Re: Are They Cobol Programmers/jobs In Nigeria? by Craigston: 9:11pm On Jan 16, 2017
Jregz:

I would be learning scheme (a dialect of Lisp) sometime around June.. I plan to read the sicp book from MIT (scheme is the Language used there)

I don't think new softwares are built in cobol.. Just maintenence since the big rewrite is damn costly

The SICP of legendary renown smiley
I got a copy from The Internet Archive. Thanks to MIT for using a free, open license. I'll read it sometime later.
Re: Are They Cobol Programmers/jobs In Nigeria? by Craigston: 9:24pm On Jan 16, 2017
appcypher:
Lisp is cool, but if you want a modern version of it, check out Clojure.
Lisp, Clojure, Scheme.
I think I'll start with Scheme since I want to read MIT's SICP. Clojure might come later.
Re: Are They Cobol Programmers/jobs In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jan 17, 2017
Craigston:

The SICP of legendary renown smiley
I got a copy from The Internet Archive. Thanks to MIT for using a free, open license. I'll read it sometime later.
Awesome

(1) (Reply)

Android Ui/ux / Develop Iot/embedded System Project Using Raspberry Pi, Arduino, Nodemcu, Esp32 / The Importance Of Github To A Programmer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.