Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,198 members, 7,811,523 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:43 PM

7 Tips On How To Survive A Water Crash - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 7 Tips On How To Survive A Water Crash (663 Views)

Four Boys Driving Recklessly, Survive A Freak Accident In Enugu / Photo Of The Nigerian Air Force Helicopter Which Crashed Into A Water In Borno. / How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Tips On How To Survive A Water Crash by AutoJoshNG: 12:11am On Jan 16, 2017
The first thing that came to your mind is probably Third Mainland Bridge , me too.

It's no news that the rate of accidents on that bridge are increasing .I don't pray you experience a water crash , but what if it happens , how do you survive one ? .

Stay Calm

I know in this scenario staying calm is one of the last things you might think of , but its actually one thing that can save your life , you need all the oxygen you can get ,don't waste it panicking .

Brace For Impact

As soon as you go flying off the side of the bridge towards the water , the first thing to do is get ready for the impact,I know at that moment you would be freaked out,but you need to be ready.Place both hands firmly on the steering wheel at the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock position.Know that every second counts, ignore your phone , don't call anyone just yet.You need to survive !!!.

Make Use Of All The Air You Can Get

While the car is filling up with water and there is still air , you have to make use of all the air you can get ,take slow and deep breaths while following all these steps

Unbuckle !!

This is very important the next step is to unbuckle your seat belt .If there are kids in the car unbuckle theirs too.Its best to start with the eldest so they can help out.

Aim For The Window

The first impulse people feel most times is to aim for the door , this is actually wrong and most times its close to impossible , because of hydraulic pressure in the water.Your best bet is going out through the window.Try winding it down , if its not going down ,remove the head rest of your seat or any other hard and strong material and use the metal to smash the window.

Swim Up !!

Once the window is out of the way , if there are kids ,they should go out first , while you are holding them firmly , the water current might be too strong for them .Then you should all swim up while you push them(the kids) up.

Seek Help

As soon as you can ,seek medical help, while you are above the water,find something to hold on to , remember not to let the kids go.And if its your spouse I think Titanic is a good inspiration .

Jokes apart, seeking medical help as soon as possible is important , in the case of Third Mainland Bridge where it won't be easy to swim ashore ,screaming for help while holding onto something is important ,most likely someone would have already seen you plunging down the bridge so they are already trying to rescue you.

I hope you enjoyed this guys , stay safe and don't forget to share !!!.

Written by Donald3d

https://autojosh.com/7-tips-survive-water-crash/

Cc
Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy

3 Likes

Re: 7 Tips On How To Survive A Water Crash by ConcNiggress56(f): 12:16am On Jan 16, 2017
Insightful.. The real prblem that i see is swimming abilities..

I once thought swimming and floating was so simple until i almost drowned in a pool that is 1 billion times lesser than the body of water at third mainland bridge. I am gon use my spare time to go for swimming lessons.

1 Like

Re: 7 Tips On How To Survive A Water Crash by LegendaryArnold(m): 12:27am On Jan 16, 2017
Where's the time to remember all that... I fit craze that very moment..
Re: 7 Tips On How To Survive A Water Crash by doctimonyeka(m): 7:00am On Jan 16, 2017
Very educative...
This is beautiful....
Thanks for sharing...
Re: 7 Tips On How To Survive A Water Crash by winetapper: 11:54am On Jan 16, 2017
The main thing is dont overspeed .
I think at least 2 floater should be in a car incase oo.

Explorers how you see am? lipsrsealed
Re: 7 Tips On How To Survive A Water Crash by Explorers(m): 12:48pm On Jan 16, 2017
Nice one, but how many will do this at that moment?

Except if you've prepared for this hours ago, having it in mind that you're going over the bridge.

Before impact, passengers are gone/unconscious, water gushing in and likes.
Re: 7 Tips On How To Survive A Water Crash by hahn(m): 12:58pm On Jan 16, 2017
Funny but the op didn't mention "pray". Another proof that prayer is useless

Nice tips. People better learn how to swim asap

1 Like

Re: 7 Tips On How To Survive A Water Crash by Explorers(m): 12:58pm On Jan 16, 2017
winetapper:
The main thing is dont overspeed .
I think at least 2 floater should be in a car incase oo.

Explorers how you see am? lipsrsealed

The main thing is, don't go off the bridge.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Tips On How To Survive A Water Crash by hahn(m): 1:01pm On Jan 16, 2017
Explorers:

The main thing is, don't go off the bridge.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

American Airlines Flight Delayed For Over 4 Hours Due To Urine Smell / Thailand Visa / Ask Me Anthing About Holidaying In The UK And I Will Try Answer It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.