Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,157 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:56 AM

How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day (11977 Views)

A Trip To Akwa Ibom: Lugard Colonial Office, Slaves Prison, Bridge Of No Return / Uber Drivers May Go On Strike In Lagos On Monday Over VIO Clampdown / Four Boys Driving Recklessly, Survive A Freak Accident In Enugu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by Opinionated: 1:05pm On May 16, 2017
Lagos offers a unique charm with diverse sites, bustling districts and an eclectic blend of modern conveniences surrounded by local traditions. As such, the standard of living is relatively high and inhabitants are forced to cough out a lot of cash for basic expenditures.

Seeing as the city is considered one the most expensive in the country, most low-budget travelers tend to stay away. However, Jumia Travel, Africa’s No. 1 online hotel booking portal has tips on how to survive a trip to Lagos on less than $10 (NGN 4,000) a day.

Choose location wisely

While Lagos is expensive, there are areas within the city that are affordable as regards hotels, transportation and shopping. Find out those low-brow areas and plan your trip around there. No matter how distant the location might be from the tourist sites you may want to visit or the business program you are attending is, you can always find a way around as long as you drat a plan. Also, a number of hostels, inns and even hotels in these areas are relatively cheap and below the average Lagos price range. Some of these areas include Epe, Festac etc.

Have a plan for expenses

A traveler to Lagos can achieve much and still survive under $10 a day. Create a schedule that organizes you expenses, from feeding to transportation and even shopping, as that is the easiest way to curb excessive spending and remain within budget. A plan ensures that you know how much you need to spend, where and how. Note that it is important you keep your plan feasible and realistic and most of all stick to it.

Alternative housing options

Aside from hotels and inns, there are other housing options. You can decide to camp in a certain free zone or location if you are adventurous, stay with a friend or even a hospitable local family , or you can request for accommodation from churches, religious centers or NGOs who have programs that allow for free accommodation. Whichever option you chose, you end up cutting out the expenses that come with housing and you just have $10 for feeding and transportation basically per day.

Live on Street food

There is an abundance of street food around Lagos. From fried yam, plantain and potatoes to puff-puff, roasted yam and other delicacies, there is a wide range of choices for the traveler and the good thing is that these choices are not just very filling but are very affordable. Living on street food does not deprive you of balanced meal as there are enough choices to constitute a healthy meal on a very low budget.

Use Public Transportation

Stay away from taxi cabs or transport charters. Stick with the Danfo buses, keke-na-peps and Moluwes. They are not only affordable, but they will also give you an opportunity to experience the city in unique ways that will leave lasting fond memories.

Source: http://www.opinions.ng/survive-trip-lagos-less-10-day/

2 Likes

Re: How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by bkool7(m): 1:08pm On May 16, 2017
with 4k /day I Will not just survive . I Will be balling

74 Likes

Re: How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by SafeDavid(m): 1:12pm On May 16, 2017
Welcome to Nigeria. wink

#OlodoUnited.
Re: How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by Opinionated: 1:14pm On May 16, 2017
Lalasticlala where do you live? Seun come and live in Lagos, you see it is very cheap. We can recommend a few bukkas for you. grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by Nobody: 1:14pm On May 16, 2017
grin

Chaaaii . If i fit reach Lagos, i juz walk around with my agege bread sha... grin tongue

1 Like

Re: How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by Nobody: 1:53pm On May 16, 2017
Welcome to Lagos smiley

Honesty, if it was only food you will spend a lot less than that in Lagos $4/day especially mainland but the issue is accommodation, for a foreigner who knows no one here you better budget N5K = $20 per day for a decent accommodation, as for transportation uber and taxify are available and pretty cheap.
Re: How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by MasterChen: 3:31pm On May 16, 2017
You don't even need as much as $10 if you are with a proper Lagosian

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by oladimejiX: 3:32pm On May 16, 2017
N so e easy
Re: How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by Friedyokes: 3:32pm On May 16, 2017
Nah 4k per day 28k per week 120k per month oh

If nah like dat u be big boi nah

Op will u catout of hia

Shuu

18 Likes

Re: How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by NwaObinkita: 3:33pm On May 16, 2017
angry
4000 a day cha.

OP you are wrong and obviously a learner.
With ordinary 900 you go flex life tire for Lagos

Shaki=50
Rice=100
Ewa=50
Pure Water=10
Dorchester=15

Short Time=500

Total=725

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by babyfaceafrica: 3:33pm On May 16, 2017
SafeDavid:
Welcome to Nigerian. wink
you say?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by Erinz: 3:34pm On May 16, 2017
Nigerians and poverty mentality. Wen una go free ursefs from dis nonsense tinkin and unimportant posts.

2 Likes

Re: How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by nextstep(m): 3:35pm On May 16, 2017
4k is balling baby... as long as you have a small place to park yourself at night.
I disagree about the street food... it's relatively expensive (except like akara and eko). When you can get correct N300 eba or amala for the day. I for say rice, but it doesn't last in my stomach and I get hungry soon. That same 300 will only fetch you like 3 roasted corn or boli, or maybe 1 indomie. Small bus and keke where possible, now they've banned okada anyhow.

But the major trouble with Lagos is the cheap places to stay/eat are not the parts I want to visit. By the time you factor in transport and 2 hours commute... just not worth it. And then when you get to the really interesting places, it costs 1k to eat.

6 Likes

Re: How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by SageTravels: 3:36pm On May 16, 2017
$10 is too much na. with 1,000 I am good to go.

How To Travel Cheaply As a Nigeria University Student

1 Like

Re: How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by Kiakia(m): 3:39pm On May 16, 2017
Festac is cheap? No ways!

5 Likes

Re: How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by Mrjaz(m): 3:40pm On May 16, 2017
10$=4000 naira omo that na living large except u want to challenge tinubu and fashola or may be u want to d eat with celebrities + dine with olosho ....make I go feed my goat abeg.....

1 Like

Re: How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by Nobody: 3:41pm On May 16, 2017
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy 4k
Re: How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by eph12(m): 3:44pm On May 16, 2017
bkool7:
Hope you know he isn't talking about earning 4k per day but for those that travel to Lagos for work or interview that wouldn't take more than 1k
Re: How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by hahn(m): 3:49pm On May 16, 2017
Why $?

undecided
Re: How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by wiloy2k8(m): 3:53pm On May 16, 2017
bkool7:

Me sef tire for the thing oio
Re: How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by lereinter(m): 3:55pm On May 16, 2017
Fixed010:
Fairly new tecno l8 for sale i just bought it last month of april very neatable phone with complete charger and other thins but i need money badly that's why i want to sell at affordable price am at ilorin presently you can reach me on this number for easy communicatin 09066935438

if its true

pput it on olx
Re: How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by RaeMystix: 4:05pm On May 16, 2017
N4000 per day is a bit small though. angry

1 Like

Re: How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by larrypourl(m): 4:11pm On May 16, 2017
What you earn determines what you spend. The 4k might be too much for some people per day and could be too small for others, all in all, spend wisely.

Big size quality loafers for sale, size 45 black and Size 47 brown up for grab at cool prices if you're in Lagos and you're interested, holla. cool
Re: How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by chiefobdk(m): 4:15pm On May 16, 2017
men dey survive wit 200 naira. dis op come dey yarn 4k. op u well so?

2 Likes

Re: How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by InvertedHammer: 4:24pm On May 16, 2017
larrypourl:
What you earn determines what you spend. The 4k might be too much for some people per day and could be too small for others, all in all, spend wisely.

Big size quality loafers for sale, size 45 black and Size 47 brown up for grab at cool prices if you're in Lagos and you're interested, holla. cool
[[

Cut your nail!

]]
Re: How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by coldsummer: 4:35pm On May 16, 2017
Big joke

$10 day in lagos?

This writer clearly doesn't know the exchange rate is. With accommodation and food, $10?

1 Like

Re: How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by vickylincon(m): 4:37pm On May 16, 2017
ewa agonyin
Re: How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by MrEverest(m): 4:43pm On May 16, 2017
Reading comments of Lagosians saying that 4k per day is a heluva of money is really making me feel like a rich man even when I actually see myself as "managing". Here in Owerri, a plate of ofe nsala or ofe owerre is a minimum of 500 naira plate. A plate of rice at the average mama put or local restaurant is 400 naira. A bottle of malt or Viju milk is 150 etc. Owerri is relatively expensive be that o.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by SmartMugu: 4:46pm On May 16, 2017
MasterChen:
You don't even need as much as $10 if you are with a proper Lagosian
I bow oh.
OP must have been lost around how things work in Nigeria - probably one of ours recently deported from Libya. He's even talking in $$$.
Obviously Lagos is strange to him.
The Lagos I know, boys survive with nothing in their pocket. That makes them stronger anywhere in the world they eventually find themselves.
Even in the US, some Americans don't even have $1 to spend per day.
$10 per day bawo, is he a learner? $10 per day in Nigeria = around N3800 at the current exchange rate.

Explore stuff like mama-put lifestyle if maintaining max N500 per day is beyond your budget for the day If na to form level, free the girls wey go make u spend beyond your budget, prettier ones are always available for a cheaper maintenance cost within your budget.

$10 per day bawo? E gba mi ke on top this matter. E no concern me, but i suppose talk as a concerned citizen.
Abeg who move this kind topic come FP without the masses permission? grin

3 Likes

Re: How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day by Nobody: 4:52pm On May 16, 2017
oh boy some people rich woh, it takes me like a week to 10 days in order to spend $10, while some1 is budgeting for a day. Infact i feel super satisfied spending that amount in a week

(1) (2) (Reply)

Let Talk About Scholarships (any country) / MMIA Road Construction: FAAN Advises Passengers To Get To The Airport Early / Firstnation Reacts To Suspension By Nigerian Aviation Authorities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.