Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,350 members, 7,957,932 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 03:38 AM

Expert Says Inflation Is Out Of Cbn’s Control - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Expert Says Inflation Is Out Of Cbn’s Control (10602 Views)

Summary Of CBN Revised Bank Charges / Polaris Bank Network Failures And The Silence Of CBN / Benefits Of CBN's New FOREX Policy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Expert Says Inflation Is Out Of Cbn’s Control by Lautechgossip(m): 3:58pm On Jan 16, 2017
Olusegun Omisakin, the Head of Research, Nigerian Economic Summit Group (NESG), says rising inflation rate in the country has gone beyond the control of Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).

Omisakin made the observation in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Monday in Lagos.

NAN reports that data released by the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) on Jan.13 showed that December 2016 inflation rate stood at 18.55 per cent from 18.48 per cent in November.

Inflation targeting is a major economic policy objective of CBN and this has been the focus of its Monetary Policy Committee (MPC).

The apex bank, on July 26, 2016, increased the Monetary Policy Rate (MPR) by 200 basis points from 12 per cent to 14 per cent to check inflation.

The CBN retained all key indicators at its September and November MPC meetings to keep MPR at 14 per cent, Cash Reserve Ratio at 22.50 per cent and the Liquidity Ratio at 30 per cent, all aimed at controlling inflation.

Omisakin said that the rising inflation had defied CBN’s monetary policy measures, adding that policy tools adopted by the apex bank were only effective in taming inflation arising from demand-supply imbalances.

“In this case, inflation is cost-push. Production cost is high because producers who want to import intermediate goods for production do not have access to foreign exchange.

“Most of them go to the black market and definitely the product from this would be expensive, thereby increasing inflation.

“The CBN cannot do anything through the monetary policy rate to arrest this inflation even if CBN increases the MPR to 20 per cent. Inflation would not come down.

“The inflation we are experiencing now is out of the control of CBN. CBN can only address issues that have to do with availability and circulation of money and credit control.

“CBN cannot address cost-push inflation because it cannot provide energy, roads, transport. There are fiscal issues,” Omisakin said.

The economist urged the CBN to formulate policies that would boost industrial production and economic growth in view of the current economic recession.

Omisakin called for coordination of fiscal and monetary policies to check the rising inflationary trend in the country.

“The rising cost of food, transport and energy will reduce if the Federal Government creates concrete fiscal policies with effective implementation to address the situation through increased investment in infrastructure and agriculture,” he said.

The expert said that speedy passage and effective implementation of the 2017 budget would stimulate economic activities.

http://www.kikiotolu.com/2017/01/expert-says-inflation-is-out-of-cbns.html

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Expert Says Inflation Is Out Of Cbn’s Control by Ekakamba: 4:06pm On Jan 16, 2017
I hope I didn't take anyone's space....
The way folks write 'First to comment' ehn.. ..
I thought FTC is better than orgasm but.. ........ Mtcheeew .
tongue

2 Likes

Re: Expert Says Inflation Is Out Of Cbn’s Control by voicelez: 4:06pm On Jan 16, 2017
Seun plz we are tired of all these bad news. Inflation or no inflation we must survive

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Expert Says Inflation Is Out Of Cbn’s Control by Omogbhollahorn(m): 4:06pm On Jan 16, 2017
na die
Re: Expert Says Inflation Is Out Of Cbn’s Control by emmabest2000(m): 4:06pm On Jan 16, 2017
Currency wahala ...

Our help will only come from Thee O 'Lord

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Expert Says Inflation Is Out Of Cbn’s Control by ammyluv2002(f): 4:06pm On Jan 16, 2017
Oh Lord! We're in hot soup cry cry cry
Re: Expert Says Inflation Is Out Of Cbn’s Control by Firefire(m): 4:09pm On Jan 16, 2017
Wonderful! embarassed
Re: Expert Says Inflation Is Out Of Cbn’s Control by Jabioro: 4:10pm On Jan 16, 2017
Let d govtmen do d needful..,heads must roll..Emiefele first

2 Likes

Re: Expert Says Inflation Is Out Of Cbn’s Control by LifeofAirforce1: 4:10pm On Jan 16, 2017
Nigeria my country
Re: Expert Says Inflation Is Out Of Cbn’s Control by hucienda: 4:10pm On Jan 16, 2017
Lord help us
Re: Expert Says Inflation Is Out Of Cbn’s Control by Clarinett(m): 4:10pm On Jan 16, 2017
THE INVINCIBLE HAND ADAMS SMITH TALKED ABOUT IS NEEDED HERE.

Let Fed govt just free the market.

1 Like

Re: Expert Says Inflation Is Out Of Cbn’s Control by fran6co(m): 4:11pm On Jan 16, 2017
EMEFIELE HW LONG DO U WANNA CONTINUE EXPERIMENTING. JUS HUMBLY COMOT NA

3 Likes

Re: Expert Says Inflation Is Out Of Cbn’s Control by Emekamex(m): 4:11pm On Jan 16, 2017
It is time we start mining other mineral resources asides oil that we have a comparative advantage, this is the only short term way to improve forex reserve and it will equally act as a catalyst for other economic activities.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Expert Says Inflation Is Out Of Cbn’s Control by ch91: 4:11pm On Jan 16, 2017
in omawumi's voice
''if you ask me na who i go ask?
yeye country
Re: Expert Says Inflation Is Out Of Cbn’s Control by remzor(m): 4:12pm On Jan 16, 2017
#GodBlessNigeria
Re: Expert Says Inflation Is Out Of Cbn’s Control by Nobody: 4:13pm On Jan 16, 2017
An illiterate (BUHARI) and two semi-literates (CBN GOV & Minister of FIN) have ruined my country....

2 Likes

Re: Expert Says Inflation Is Out Of Cbn’s Control by voicelez: 4:13pm On Jan 16, 2017
you took mine embarassed embarassed embarassed
Ekakamba:
I hope I didn't take anyone's space.... tongue
Re: Expert Says Inflation Is Out Of Cbn’s Control by kokosin: 4:15pm On Jan 16, 2017
if heads must roll it must start from buhari......he must pay for this.

4 Likes

Re: Expert Says Inflation Is Out Of Cbn’s Control by Ekakamba: 4:16pm On Jan 16, 2017
voicelez:
you took mine embarassed embarassed embarassed
Pele it's not me. Probably your network.
Re: Expert Says Inflation Is Out Of Cbn’s Control by TheRealestGuy(m): 4:16pm On Jan 16, 2017
All sensible and logical Nigerians know that the current economic recession and depression was mostly triggered by poorly thought out policies by the current administration...

The worst was the refusal of the man at the helm of affairs to devalue the naira for close to 12 months! That alone caused irreversible damage to the country.

Of course zombies always love to hear Jonathan being blamed but that's why they're named zombies, they have no way of thinking on their own but would rather go with the lies and propaganda being bandied around by this devilish APC govt...

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Expert Says Inflation Is Out Of Cbn’s Control by idupaul: 4:18pm On Jan 16, 2017
Take Buhari out of the picture and give the leadership to a man filled with wisdom and see how inflation gets arrested in 3 weeks

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Expert Says Inflation Is Out Of Cbn’s Control by voicelez: 4:18pm On Jan 16, 2017
it's allowed. forward you account number sharply to Seun
Ekakamba:
Pele it's not me. Probably your network.
Re: Expert Says Inflation Is Out Of Cbn’s Control by jeftalene(m): 4:21pm On Jan 16, 2017
Hmmm
Meanwhile you can always see updated prices of building materials at www.engineerosaz..com
Re: Expert Says Inflation Is Out Of Cbn’s Control by hahn(m): 4:22pm On Jan 16, 2017
When our government is busy creating false scarcity upandan undecided

1 Like

Re: Expert Says Inflation Is Out Of Cbn’s Control by Chiedu4Trump: 4:26pm On Jan 16, 2017
Una take man that all he knows are cows and made him president, then you are surprised inflation is outta control?

2 Likes

Re: Expert Says Inflation Is Out Of Cbn’s Control by PStacks(m): 4:29pm On Jan 16, 2017
Re: Expert Says Inflation Is Out Of Cbn’s Control by Ajusshi: 4:30pm On Jan 16, 2017
I am not an economics, but this theory looks sensible. Cost push inflation is hard to control

1 Like

Re: Expert Says Inflation Is Out Of Cbn’s Control by Nobody: 4:39pm On Jan 16, 2017
1naira must be equal to 1dollars. Am still wondering if that thing that old man is carrying on his neck is called head?? Or is his type of head different? angry angry

1 Like

Re: Expert Says Inflation Is Out Of Cbn’s Control by Ekpekus(m): 4:41pm On Jan 16, 2017
E don tay we know this one na angry
Re: Expert Says Inflation Is Out Of Cbn’s Control by uscofield: 4:54pm On Jan 16, 2017
CBN should join MMM

5 Likes

Re: Expert Says Inflation Is Out Of Cbn’s Control by ideaz: 5:07pm On Jan 16, 2017
So who takes the responsibility now?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

An Acre of Farm With Structure,Can Be Use For Cow, Pig, Rearing For Sale At #6M / Mkety Digital: Buy/Sell Ur Skrill Perfectmoney Cryptos in Naira with no limit / Sun King, Flutterwave Lead In Nigerian Capital Raising From January To May 2022

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.