Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,977 members, 7,817,876 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:53 PM

Important Things To Know About Tuberculosis - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Important Things To Know About Tuberculosis (12259 Views)

Facts About Tuberculosis You Need To Know / Monkey Pox Outbreak: Important Things You Should Know About Monkeypox / Important Things To Know About Tuberculosis (tb)--kangpe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Important Things To Know About Tuberculosis by Nobody: 8:36am On Jan 18, 2017
Thank God I overcame it.

The treatment takes around 9 months or so. What really kills more than the disease is the stigma associated with it. I had to be careful not to infect others and I also did HIV test.

The loud coughing scared my family and I was isolated with my personal stuff and felt like a leper. I had to leave my bf to protect him because he wouldn't stop trying to lock lips.

The weight loss, the chest pains, the headache, the diet, the weakness, the drugs worsened my chest pains in the first 2 months.
I had to keep it a secret so people wouldn't runaway from me but avoided much contact and didn't share personal stuff. Moving around with drugs is no fun.

When I eventually completed my treatment, ah! My people! I felt so free it was the happiest day of my life.

1 Like

Re: Important Things To Know About Tuberculosis by dudebuck: 9:03am On Jan 18, 2017
If you have TB don't stay in closed places, make sure you stay in wide open places with enout wind, if you are fortunate to have access to a beach, spend most your time there, because wind is actually the TB bacterium's enemy. Yes that is for sure, in the olden days when there were no chemical treatment, that was how physicians cured TB, and it always worked.
Re: Important Things To Know About Tuberculosis by sayyid(m): 9:06am On Jan 18, 2017
frankeinstein:
You're right chief. Mantoux test is not the most definitive test. That is why I said it is only a first step. Also, the mantoux test is NOT said to be positive just because it produces an area of induration(Hard, fibrous area). It will always produce an in duration as long as one has had the BCG Vaccine, as you rightly pointed out. Positivity is to be determined by the clinician, based on the scenario and history

5-9mm in duration is positive test in an immunosupressed patient. Or a patient who has recently been treated for TB. If a patient has for example HIV/AIDS, productive cough and hemoptysis of 3 weeks duration and the mantoux test produces an in duration of the aforementioned diameter, there is no need wasting the patients money doing sputum AFB or GeneXpert.

10-14mm induration is positive in people who have been exposed to TB patients for example

15mm and above could be said to be positive in people with no known risk of TB.

in the latter two groups, the test is only a pointer for further definitive tests.

Also, the sputum AFB is not the most definitive test for the tuberculin bacili too. Because the bacteria is not always present in the sputum and sometimes, it is not present in sufficient amounts into be detected by the test.
The mist definitive test is the GeneXpert.

Thank you for the information
Re: Important Things To Know About Tuberculosis by Orikinla1: 9:36am On Jan 18, 2017
sayyid:
WHAT IS TUBERCULOSIS

TB is a communicable disease caused by a type of bacterium known as MYCOBACTERIUM TUBERCULOSIS(commonly referred to as TB bacilli). it mainly attacks the lungs, causing pulmonary TB (PTB). the bacteria can also attack other parts of the body such as the spine, lymph nodes, brain,kidneys e.t.c. this is known as extra-pulmonary TB (EPTB).

TRANSMISSION OF TUBERCULOSIS

TB is an airborne disease I. e it is transmitted through the inhalation of air contaminated with TB bacilli into air, therefore transmission is more intense in crowded area , poorly ventilated space with little ambient of sunlight. it can also be transmitted through unprotected cough, sneeze e. t. c from an infected person to and uninfected person.

SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF TUBERCULOSIS

1. persistent cough for 2weeks or more(it might be less).
2. shortness of breath.
3. loss of appetite.
4. fever
5. weight loss.
6. night sweat.
7. tiredness.
8. chest pain.
9. coughing up blood (haemoptysis).
while signs and symptoms of EPTB depends on the site involved

HOW TO DIAGNOSE TUBERCULOSIS

TB can be diagnosed in the laboratory and this rest mainly on the identification of the tubercle bacilli by any of the following Laboratory methods available.
1. AFB microscopy
2. Genexpert MTB/RIF
3. Culture
this is carried out by collection of a quality clinical specimen which is majorly sputum specimen.

DIAGNOSIS CENTERS.

Each of the 774 local government of Nigeria has at least three diagnosis center with double treatment centers to make accesment easy.

TREATMENT and DIAGNOSIS IS FREE.
INFORMATION IS POWER, CONTACT THE NEAREST HEALTH CENTER IF YOU HAVE OR NOTICE ANY ONE WITH ANY OF THE SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS AS MENTIONED ABOVE.

www.nationaltbcenter.ucsf.edu
I reported a suspicious case of a northerner with these symptoms to the Lagos State Ministry of Health, but no response till date. And the Mallam refused to go to hospital.
He is a cobbler near the MFM church on Olasimbo Street, in Onike, Yaba, Lagos.
Re: Important Things To Know About Tuberculosis by sayyid(m): 10:02am On Jan 18, 2017
Orikinla1:
I reported a suspicious case of a northerner with these symptoms to the Lagos State Ministry of Health, but no response till date. And the Mallam refused to go to hospital.
He is a cobbler near the MFM church on Olasimbo Street, in Onike, Yaba, Lagos.
The man needs proper enlightenment because the disease is not only dangerous to his health alone but the whole community where he resides are also at risk
Re: Important Things To Know About Tuberculosis by drdanny(m): 12:07pm On Jan 18, 2017
frankeinstein:
You're right chief. Mantoux test is not the most definitive test. That is why I said it is only a first step. Also, the mantoux test is NOT said to be positive just because it produces an area of induration(Hard, fibrous area). It will always produce an in duration as long as one has had the BCG Vaccine, as you rightly pointed out. Positivity is to be determined by the clinician, based on the scenario and history

5-9mm in duration is positive test in an immunosupressed patient. Or a patient who has recently been treated for TB. If a patient has for example HIV/AIDS, productive cough and hemoptysis of 3 weeks duration and the mantoux test produces an in duration of the aforementioned diameter, there is no need wasting the patients money doing sputum AFB or GeneXpert.

10-14mm induration is positive in people who have been exposed to TB patients for example

15mm and above could be said to be positive in people with no known risk of TB.

in the latter two groups, the test is only a pointer for further definitive tests.

Also, the sputum AFB is not the most definitive test for the tuberculin bacili too. Because the bacteria is not always present in the sputum and sometimes, it is not present in sufficient amounts into be detected by the test.
The mist definitive test is the GeneXpert.

The National TB and Leprosy Control Program in line with the WHO recommendation has strongly recommended the use of GeneXpert for the diagnosis of TB in all populations as the first test. Its more sensitive and specific and can indicate Rifampicin resistance which is a pointer to Multiple Drug Resistant TB, an emerging and deadly problem in the fight against TB. Mantoux test is soooooo nonspecific!
Re: Important Things To Know About Tuberculosis by Nobody: 12:07pm On Jan 18, 2017
Amplitron:

Silent for where? The word tuberculosis and silence cannot be together. Constant loud cough which produce sputum and come more at night. So, no good sleep at night. Also, serious weight loss.
The good news is that the treatment is free in government hospitals and they have a good program to monitor your progress. Treatment can take several months.
Don't wish this on your worst enemy.
TB has always been known as a silent killer. A) It spreads via invisible airborne droplets when someone who has it speaks or coughs and B) the infection can be in your body for years but will remain latent, hence you will show no symptoms. Although latent TB isn't contagious like active TB, it being latent isn't really a good thing b/c it can suddenly become active when the immune system becomes weak often due to alcoholism, abuse of drugs - either self-prescribed or drugs you've been taking for other conditions that suppress your immune system, HIV/Aids (developing countries where HIV/Aids is prevalent typically have a high TB rate), to name a few. Once you know you've latent TB (either via blood or skin tests; a chest x-ray will also show it), the best thing to do is to get the proper drugs, although you've to commit to taking them for months. TB, as a whole, is treatable but unfortunately it still kills millions every year in 3rd world countries: they've no access to treatment, they receive improper treatment, they found too late after it has destroyed the lungs, or b/c the TB remains undiagnosed and untreated.

Amplitron:

Silent for where? The word tuberculosis and silence cannot be together.
These folks are wrong and you're right, huh?
https://www.sfu.ca/vpresearch/research-news/profiles-and-features/tuberculosis-the-silent-killer.html
Re: Important Things To Know About Tuberculosis by drdanny(m): 12:55pm On Jan 18, 2017
Deseo:
Thank God I overcame it.

The treatment takes around 9 months or so. What really kills more than the disease is the stigma associated with it. I had to be careful not to infect others and I also did HIV test.

The loud coughing scared my family and I was isolated with my personal stuff and felt like a leper. I had to leave my bf to protect him because he wouldn't stop trying to lock lips.

The weight loss, the chest pains, the headache, the diet, the weakness, the drugs worsened my chest pains in the first 2 months.
I had to keep it a secret so people wouldn't runaway from me but avoided much contact and didn't share personal stuff. Moving around with drugs is no fun.

When I eventually completed my treatment, ah! My people! I felt so free it was the happiest day of my life.

2 Likes

Re: Important Things To Know About Tuberculosis by sayyid(m): 1:04pm On Jan 18, 2017
drdanny:

The National TB and Leprosy Control Program in line with the WHO recommendation has strongly recommended the use of GeneXpert for the diagnosis of TB in all populations as the first test. Its more sensitive and specific and can indicate Rifampicin resistance which is a pointer to Multiple Drug Resistant TB, an emerging and deadly problem in the fight against TB. Mantoux test is soooooo nonspecific!
Genexpert has been strongly recommended but AFB test is still very important in the diagnosis of tuberculosis because Genexpert machine is not yet available in all TB centers worldwide and most ofthe centers that have the machine has the one with 4 modules which can run only 4 test at a time with a duration of two hours,there centers with high number of patients will have problem because they might not be able to run more than two batch of samples in a day(8samples) and temperature also affects the machine. that is why in most centers AFB test is still carried out while Genexpert is narrowed down or carried out on the following people:
1. Relapse.
2. Failed 6month regimen
3. Symptomatic contacts of DR-TB cases
4. PLHIV with symptoms of TB
5. EPTB
6. Children (below 15years)
7. Health workers with TB symptoms
8. Symptomatic presumptive TB cases with AFB Negative result
9. To confirm MDR-TB enrolment
10. Smear positive at/after month 4 of TB treatment.

1 Like

Re: Important Things To Know About Tuberculosis by frankeinstein(m): 2:31pm On Jan 18, 2017
drdanny:

Thanks for the info, chief. Although I did point out it is non-specific
Re: Important Things To Know About Tuberculosis by sample042(m): 4:37pm On Jan 18, 2017
This is d main cause of kyphosis(hunch back). 80percent of ppl living with a hunch is simply as a result of untreated Tuberculosis. This piece is so important for everyone.
Re: Important Things To Know About Tuberculosis by Homogeneositys(f): 7:19pm On Jan 18, 2017
I used tb drugs for six months, but am still coughing. am just tired I don't know what to do again. I did another test and it is negative. please help me what can I do again
Re: Important Things To Know About Tuberculosis by sayyid(m): 8:35pm On Jan 18, 2017
Homogeneositys:
I used tb drugs for six months, but am still coughing. am just tired I don't know what to do again. I did another test and it is negative. please help me what can I do again
kindly go for genexpert test
Re: Important Things To Know About Tuberculosis by Homogeneositys(f): 10:45am On Jan 20, 2017
please which test is dis and how much will they do it
Re: Important Things To Know About Tuberculosis by layrico5: 11:07am On Jan 20, 2017
Now available 4 in 1 tablets called Acurit 4. it makes dosing so easy and aid compliance to medication.

For Further details on where to get this medication kindly call Briscon Pharma- 08135273535

Re: Important Things To Know About Tuberculosis by sayyid(m): 9:32pm On Jan 20, 2017
Homogeneositys:
please which test is dis and how much will they do it
just go to where you were first diagnosed of the disease(tuberculosis) tell them you want to do genexpert and it is supposed to be free but depending on your location .
Get well soon
Re: Important Things To Know About Tuberculosis by sayyid(m): 9:33pm On Jan 20, 2017
layrico5:
Now available 4 in 1 tablets called Acurit 4. it makes dosing so easy and aid compliance to medication.

For Further details on where to get this medication kindly call Briscon Pharma- 08135273535
sorry please are you selling anti-TB drugs?
Re: Important Things To Know About Tuberculosis by kandywandy23: 5:39pm On Jan 21, 2017
Are you a leaner? Tuberculosis can be deadly. Oh sorry I mean it is deadly if you don't treat it well. See more on it here http://www.kandywandy.com/2014/05/tuberculosis-and-measures.html

http://www.kandywandy.com
Re: Important Things To Know About Tuberculosis by Homogeneositys(f): 3:50pm On Jan 25, 2017
sayyid:

just go to where you were first diagnosed of the disease(tuberculosis) tell them you want to do genexpert and it is supposed to be free but depending on your location .
Get well soon

I av done d test, it states that RIF resistance not detected. MTB detected medium please wat is d meaning
Re: Important Things To Know About Tuberculosis by sayyid(m): 5:12pm On Jan 25, 2017
Homogeneositys:

I av done d test, it states that RIF resistance not detected. MTB detected medium please wat is d meaning
thank God it's not RIF resistant, but the result still shows that you have tuberculosis. you've used the drugs for how many months? if you've completed the 6month regimen and you got this result they will have to start the drugs for you again. and is there anybody coughing in your surroundings?
Re: Important Things To Know About Tuberculosis by Homogeneositys(f): 5:27pm On Jan 25, 2017
I used d drugs for six months and no nobody is coughing in our house. what baffles me is DAT the smear for afb is negative
Re: Important Things To Know About Tuberculosis by sayyid(m): 8:41pm On Jan 25, 2017
Homogeneositys:
I used d drugs for six months and no nobody is coughing in our house. what baffles me is DAT the smear for afb is negative
yes.
what actually happen is that the machine can detect the smallest number of bacilli in the body. it also detect both dead and active tubercule bacilli, what I would suggest Is that you go to the center where you took the drugs and let the Doctor diagnose you further.
get well soon
Re: Important Things To Know About Tuberculosis by Homogeneositys(f): 9:46pm On Jan 25, 2017
thanks
Re: Important Things To Know About Tuberculosis by sayyid(m): 8:13am On Jan 26, 2017
Homogeneositys:
thanks
you are welcome,
I pray you get well soon
Re: Important Things To Know About Tuberculosis by Homogeneositys(f): 11:56am On Jan 26, 2017
amen I av started using d medicine today
Re: Important Things To Know About Tuberculosis by sayyid(m): 5:42pm On Jan 26, 2017
Homogeneositys:
amen I av started using d medicine today
Good.
Make sure you use it everyday, be drinking 5liters of water per day(juice,Tea,pap etc can serve as water as well), make sure you eat proteinous foods, eat fruits as well, endeavor to be eating vegetables 3days interval.
And you should go for follow up test at month 2,5 and 6 and when you go for the follow up test do ONLY AFB test and not Genexpert test
Get well soon.

2 Likes

Re: Important Things To Know About Tuberculosis by wayisshut: 10:36pm On Feb 13, 2017
sayyid:

thank God it's not RIF resistant, but the result still shows that you have tuberculosis. you've used the drugs for how many months? if you've completed the 6month regimen and you got this result they will have to start the drugs for you again. and is there anybody coughing in your surroundings?

I did maltoux test and the result was 8mm positive . what does it mean.
Re: Important Things To Know About Tuberculosis by sayyid(m): 10:41am On Feb 14, 2017
wayisshut:

I did maltoux test and the result was 8mm positive . what does it mean.
What it means is that they measured the mm of swollen of the area they injected. however there should be no swollen at all. so it shows that the positivity is very high. I don't know what you want to use the test for, but if you've been given BCG vaccine you will always be positive for manteux test. If you want to do a test for Tuberculosis the best test is AFB test or Genexpert.
Re: Important Things To Know About Tuberculosis by wayisshut: 11:08am On Feb 14, 2017
sayyid:

What it means is that they measured the mm of swollen of the area they injected. however there should be no swollen at all. so it shows that the positivity is very high. I don't know what you want to use the test for, but if you've been given BCG vaccine you will always be positive for manteux test. If you want to do a test for Tuberculosis the best test is AFB test or Genexpert.

Thanks I had cough and was having pains on my chest. I did an xray which showed I was fine
Re: Important Things To Know About Tuberculosis by sayyid(m): 12:41pm On Feb 14, 2017
wayisshut:

Thanks I had cough and was having pains on my chest. I did an xray which showed I was fine
try and go to any General hospital and request for AFB test or Genexpert so you can have rest of mind
Re: Important Things To Know About Tuberculosis by wayisshut: 5:18pm On Feb 14, 2017
sayyid:

try and go to any General hospital and request for AFB test or Genexpert so you can have rest of mind

OK thanks

(1) (2) (Reply)

First Black Child Diagnosed With Aging Disease / Lagos Discharges Five More Coronavirus Patients / I Mistakenly Drink Kerosene For Water, Pls Help!!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.