Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,720 members, 7,809,733 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:06 PM

Why Is C++ So Hard? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Is C++ So Hard? (3210 Views)

7 Reasons Why Software Development Is So Hard / Why Is Python Programming So Hard To Understand / Junior Developer Internship So Hard To Find (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is C++ So Hard? by ItuExchange(m): 1:35am On Jan 17, 2017
I am well versed in HTML, CSS, and JavaScript and I tried to take on C++, because one of my friends suggested it to me. I tried it, and it is overwhelmingly confusing! How can I improve my C++ coding skills? Please help!

Answer:

You have asked, "Why is C++ Hard?" Learning programming from the top down can make C++ harder to learn. Familiarity with languages such as Python, JavaScript, Visual Basic, Java, C#, and Ruby on Rails can give you an incomplete picture of software development. When those languages and others like them are your only introduction to writing code, C++ will be hard.

C++ is not in the same class. C++ is unique and special, like C. That uniqueness, that special nature makes it harder to pick up and apply.

Easy and Quick
The main purpose of Python, JavaScript, Visual Basic, Java, C#, Ruby and languages like them is to do one thing. Save the programmer time writing code and create an end result with as less fuss and difficulty as possible. A working program done fast is more important in those languages than a rigorous software development process. You can add structure, but the core of those languages is such that additional structure is optional.

Many languages are designed, on purpose, to be easy and quick.

Please read more here: https://www.quora.com/Why-is-C++-so-hard

Neteller here: www..com.ng
Re: Why Is C++ So Hard? by Whytelyon(m): 8:44am On Jan 17, 2017
Best answer, start with C

Thank me later.

1 Like

Re: Why Is C++ So Hard? by Nobody: 6:14pm On Jan 17, 2017
C++ is not hard. Its just different. In fact its what a computer programming language should be. It makes u well aware of the details of software developments - what most high level languages give away on the alter of too much abstraction.
Re: Why Is C++ So Hard? by Nobody: 6:18pm On Jan 17, 2017
C++ is not hard. Its just different. In fact its what a computer programming language should be. It makes u well aware of the details of software developments - what most high level languages give away on the alter of too much abstraction.
Re: Why Is C++ So Hard? by asalimpo(m): 8:32pm On Jan 17, 2017
c++ and similar languages are hard because , 1.) They have weird syntax, which are unfamiliar to new comers to the language.
2) some symbols embody many concepts in them. It's not a one-to-one mapping between symbols and concepts like is the case with internet acronyms, so the learner has to unpack and expand more concepts
from symbolisms at once!! this is hard. It is the reason mathematics is hard.
I do stress this, that many artificial languages, regex, etc create needless complications by being terse.

e.g
in math E (i.e sigma) packs many concepts into one:
it's programmatic represntation is :

sum=0;
for(int x=n;x<=n;x++)
{
sum+=somefunc(args);
}
return sum;

See what your brain has to do when it sees, that symbol? And it has to do it quickly?
When people struggle with the unpacking phase, their classified as being dull.

By using compact symbols, a lot is communicated in few symbols. But then communication a lot leads to hardness.
Compact language = terse,economical language = very hard to enter.
Easy language = verbose = easy to enter.
In the computer world however, less syntax means, less cost : memory, typing speed etc, so there's a real incentive in this areas.
Have u seen APL's syntax?
Re: Why Is C++ So Hard? by silento(m): 8:54pm On Jan 17, 2017
last week I wrote a web app for a friend for a small token coz the recession is too much

the funny part was that I learn php under a day one day like within 8hours and I was able to write a web app with it

a friend who helped me in my early days of programming tuto he always make sure I know the concept and fundamental of programming not a particular language I started with python and c later c++ and till today HTML is the pain in the ass for me

HTML ,JavaScript and others like them are good for fast result and they don't allow u go get ur hands dirty

but language like c will help u a lot in ur programming world a lot it teaches u the fundamental of programming

I will advise u to learn c after u can go back to c++

and while learning make sure u perfect on

this topics on c :

structure - struct

pointers
Re: Why Is C++ So Hard? by philsss(m): 9:58pm On Jan 17, 2017
silento:
last week I wrote a web app for a friend for a small token coz the recession is too much

the funny part was that I learn php under a day one day like within 8hours and I was able to write a web app with it

a friend who helped me in my early days of programming tuto he always make sure I know the concept and fundamental of programming not a particular language I started with python and c later c++ and till today HTML is the pain in the ass for me

HTML ,JavaScript and others like them are good for fast result and they don't allow u go get ur hands dirty

but language like c will help u a lot in ur programming world a lot it teaches u the fundamental of programming

this topics on c :

structure - struct

pointers

Am still wondering how you learnt PHP a day...
Is dt possible??

1 Like

Re: Why Is C++ So Hard? by Whytelyon(m): 7:19am On Jan 18, 2017
philsss:

Is dt possible??

With dedication, yes. And more so, php is a child of C, that's why I said earlier, that you learn C
Re: Why Is C++ So Hard? by talk2hb1(m): 8:51am On Jan 18, 2017
philsss:

Is dt possible??
Its easier than you think most especially when you are a Genii, I learn Assembly in an Hour and half and I developed a driver for my Android device, that helps in monitoring our Poultry Feeds. After that I learn C# in 30minutes developed a stock predicting app in 10minutes and has been downloaded more than 5million times on Apple Play Store in fact it is being used in New York Stock exchange. grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Is C++ So Hard? by silento(m): 1:38pm On Jan 18, 2017
philsss:

Is dt possible??

yes bro not I learned all in and out in php a day but I was able to learn the basic and stuff need to get my web app ready

and it was easy for me coz I already know c so well and if u have code in c before coding in php will feel like using c on web
Re: Why Is C++ So Hard? by 0luwatope(m): 1:51pm On Jan 18, 2017
silento:

this topics on c :

structure - struct

pointers

SO YO LEARNT PHP IN A FULL FUCKIN DAY? whats the web app url lemme see

2 Likes

Re: Why Is C++ So Hard? by talk2hb1(m): 2:18pm On Jan 18, 2017
0luwatope:
You didn't see my own post
talk2hb1:

Its easier than you think most especially when you are a Genii, I learn Assembly in an Hour and half and I developed a driver for my Android device, that helps in monitoring our Poultry Feeds. After that I learn C# in 30minutes developed a stock predicting app in 10minutes and has been downloaded more than 5million times on Apple Play Store in fact it is being used in New York Stock exchange. grin
Re: Why Is C++ So Hard? by 0luwatope(m): 2:34pm On Jan 18, 2017
talk2hb1:
You didn't see my own post
let me see ur work
Re: Why Is C++ So Hard? by talk2hb1(m): 2:41pm On Jan 18, 2017
0luwatope:
let me see ur work
Huh?
Which work?
I only write my code on Paper,
And run it by keeping it in my pocket then run with it. Since I can run very well, I dont find it hard running codes grin
Hope you understand?
Just want to proove I am better than developers who learn't PHP in 4hrs.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is C++ So Hard? by 0luwatope(m): 3:04pm On Jan 18, 2017
talk2hb1:

Huh?
Which work?
And run it by keeping it in my pocket then run with it. Since I can run very well, I dont find it hard running codes grin
Hope you understand?
Lolz, you almost got me cracking my brains hard trying to decode ur msg
Re: Why Is C++ So Hard? by talk2hb1(m): 3:05pm On Jan 18, 2017
0luwatope:
Lolz, you almost got me cracking my brains hard trying to decode ur msg
undecided
Re: Why Is C++ So Hard? by Raypawer(m): 9:30pm On Jan 18, 2017
the only thing that make it look different from other programming language is the access to pointers. i code with c#, when dived into c and c++ i found out that c# was hiding things from me. c++ is a more free world, you know whats going under the hook..
Re: Why Is C++ So Hard? by silento(m): 7:32am On Jan 19, 2017
0luwatope:

It is a huawei new algorithm for calculating the unlock code for huawei modem and WiFi

I don't know if he has hosted it yet but am not allow to share sourcecode

the source code is mainly made up of
regular expressions in php
bit operators left and right shift
and hash

if u know c very well u can do that in any c like language in let's than 2 hours

like in
java , php , c++ etc

there code all looks alike

php

for($i=0;$i<10;$i++)
{

echo $i;

}

c++

for(i=0;i<10;i++)
{
printf("%d",I);
}

java

for(i=0;i<10;i++)
{

system.out.println(i);

}

I hope u can the see that they are all same just little salt

like I said before learn the concept of programming not the language
Re: Why Is C++ So Hard? by WhiZTiM(m): 6:52pm On Jan 19, 2017
talk2hb1:

Sarcasm at its peak. grin grin grin ;

[img]https://media./media/O5NyCibf93upy/giphy.gif[/img]

Re: Why Is C++ So Hard? by WhiZTiM(m): 1:45am On Jan 20, 2017
Noel1:

"C++ isn't hard" - That is something I am not too quick to agree with, but I'll contextually agree with you.

========================================================================

Whytelyon:

With dedication, yes. And more so, php is a child of C, that's why I said earlier, that you learn C

Sir, I beg to differ. PHP is not a child of C. They probably share some syntax similarities, but they are two different languages.
The idea that one language is a child/subset/similar/etc to another is a contributing factor to makes Software Developers write bad code.
It's the way I see people who lump up C and C++ as "C/C++" which annoys me.

The point is, every language in use today has its norms, idioms and patterns that results in highly performant(with respect to the Compiler's/Interpreter's strengths), scale-able and human and maintainable code;

Taking language X's patterns/idioms to language Y will likely result into very poor code (in terms of performance and maintainability). While it may be relatively easy for us (existing Software developers) to pick up a new language, we still have to learn the working ideas of that new language.

"When in Rome, do as the Romans do" - of cause, to some extent wink

Raypawer:
the only thing that make it look different from other programming language is the access to pointers. i code with c#, when dived into c and c++ i found out that c# was hiding things from me. c++ is a more free world, you know whats going under the hook..

Sir, I don't think that's the only thing that makes C++ different. Its a beast in its own class. C++ (especially newer standards) tries hard to be the language for costless abstraction. And to some degree, its has succeeded, and tremendous evolution (by the ISO C++ standards committee) are still on going to make it relevant tomorrow.

"...c++ is a more free world, you know what's going under the hook.." - Trust me, you don't always know what is under the hood. But you are right, some things happen under the hood we that we don't always anticipate.

talk2hb1:

Huh?
Which work?
And run it by keeping it in my pocket then run with it. Since I can run very well, I don't find it hard running codes grin
Hope you understand?

I learned Punch Card programming in about 2 hours and was asked to debug and add new features to some 40 year old NASA software... I asked them to stack up the punch cards forming a straight large fence spanning a kilometer plus. I then stepped back 785.2541 meters and demanded for an AK47 rifle. I set the rifle to full auto-fire, held down trigger and shot additional holes into the punch cards thereby fixing the bugs and adding new features. I only released the trigger when I needed to reload. cool cool

1 Like

Re: Why Is C++ So Hard? by talk2hb1(m): 8:49am On Jan 20, 2017
WhiZTiM:

"C++ isn't hard" - That is something I am not too quick to agree with, but I'll contextually agree with you.

Sir, I beg to differ. PHP is not a child of C. They probably share some syntax similarities, but they are two different languages.
The idea that one language is a child/subset/similar/etc to another is a contributing factor to makes Software Developers write bad code.

The point is, every language in use today has its norms, idioms and patterns that results in highly performant(with respect to the Compiler's/Interpreter's strengths), scale-able and human and maintainable code;

Taking language X's patterns/idioms to language Y will likely result into very poor code (in terms of performance and maintainability). While it may be relatively easy for us (existing Software developers) to pick up a new language, we still have to learn the working ideas of that new language.

Sir, I don't think that's the only thing that makes C++ different. Its a beast in its own class. C++ (especially newer standards) tries hard to be the language for costless abstraction. And to some degree, its has succeeded, and tremendous evolution (by the ISO C++ standards committee) are still on going to make it relevant tomorrow.

"...c++ is a more free world, you know what's going under the hook.." - Trust me, you don't always know what is under the hood. But you are right, some things happen under the hood we that we don't always anticipate.

I learned Punch Card programming in about 2 hours and was asked to debug and add new features to some 40 year old NASA software... I asked them to stack up the punch cards forming a straight large fence spanning a kilometer plus. I then stepped back 785.2541 meters and demanded for an AK47 rifle. I set the rifle to full auto-fire, held down trigger and shot additional holes into the punch cards thereby fixing the bugs and adding new features. I only released the trigger when I needed to reload. cool cool
This is one of the Genius I am talking about!!!
Re: Why Is C++ So Hard? by Whytelyon(m): 10:33am On Jan 20, 2017
Here is why I said so.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_C-family_programming_languages

WhiZTiM:

Re: Why Is C++ So Hard? by bot101(m): 1:28pm On Jan 20, 2017
Very many are mad. The problem is that it's the minority that are roaming grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Is C++ So Hard? by Princeoz(m): 3:09pm On Jan 20, 2017
For everyone that wants to get into the Network Security part of coding I recommend this site, It's really good.
It has everything you should know about from "Beginners networking" to "Advanced Penetration Testing". Reverse Engineering of Malware, Web App Pen-testing, Python coding for scripts and exploits, and everything else for both Defensive Security but has a lot of focus on the Offensive part.

So for everyone that wants to go for the Certified Ethical Hacker Certification and the Certs above that, check it out! smiley

It's the only good network security learning platform that I have found that covers EVERYTHING and IS FREE. And new courses are added all the time.

Happy (ETHICAL) Hacking! wink

PS: If anyone knows about other sites with this theme, please let me know about them smiley thanks!

EDIT: wow, I didn't think that so many people didn't know about the site XD but to be fair it took me quite a while to discover it too.

If you have the time and kindness to PM me your email address(geek_100@outlook.com), or write it in the comments if you don't care a lot about that email address, I will send you an invite to the site from my cybrary account!
Re: Why Is C++ So Hard? by Raypawer(m): 5:21pm On Jan 20, 2017
WhiZTiM:

if you saw my post, i said coming from c, though c is not that funny, you will find that c++ is not as heady as c, and c++ is more like an oop, and c# is also an oop language..
Re: Why Is C++ So Hard? by Pykid: 5:25pm On Jan 20, 2017
Re: Why Is C++ So Hard? by Pykid: 5:26pm On Jan 20, 2017
Whytelyon:
Best answer, start with C

Thank me later.
start with what , do you know what you're saying ... then after learning C you go back to c++ ..lulz
Re: Why Is C++ So Hard? by Whytelyon(m): 6:10pm On Jan 20, 2017
Pykid:

start with what , do you know what you're saying ... then after learning C you go back to c++ ..lulz

It's not compulsory my friend. You can even choose python or not even code at all. Better that way.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is C++ So Hard? by bet9ja(m): 11:57pm On Jan 20, 2017
C++ is not hard, i wanted to learn python due to it's simplicity but was forced to learn C++ as a CS Degree things, now i find it useful, get use to the syntax as this will be your first victory. Thank me later.

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main()
{
string language, ItuExchange;

cout <<"Enter your real name: ";
cin >> ItuExchange;

cout <<"What programming language are you struggling with: ";
cin >> language;

cout << ItuExchange << " " << language <<" language is easy to learn, learn the syntax and thank me later. " << endl;
return 0;

}
Re: Why Is C++ So Hard? by Nobody: 2:21pm On Jan 21, 2017
bot101:
Very many are mad. The problem is that it's the minority that are roaming grin grin
My guy, I just tire sef
Re: Why Is C++ So Hard? by LittleBigDick(m): 5:47am On Dec 30, 2022
People saying c++ is not hard are obviously joking

(1) (Reply)

Facebook Message Button / How To Program A PHP SMS Gateway / Who Attended The Hack Lagos Traffic Big Data Materclass Powered By Andela?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.