Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,013 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:15 AM

Writing Off A Car Engine - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Writing Off A Car Engine (1175 Views)

7 Signs That Your Car's Engine Performance Might Be Decreasing / Should You Turn Off The A/C System Before Shutting Off Your Car’s Engine? / Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Writing Off A Car Engine by fidtopade: 5:29pm On Jan 18, 2017
I have this issue that has been brodering me for some time now. That had made me to come up with this question 'when do you consider a car engine a Write Off'. Me as a person who has no deep knowledge about the workerbility of car engine and functions of most of the parts. I believe that when an engine go bad it won't be in its entirety, so the parts that goes bad can easily be change and the car come on road again. I have a car engine that got knocked some time last year, precisingly 2.4 Camry. Before it got knock, the red oil light came up but I didn't pay attention to it, when the car finally knock, I was asked to buy all the damaged parts which I did but after all said and done the oil light is still on. I took the car to another mechanic who strip the whole engine and still couple it back, the oil light still on. The block engine, I was told by both mechanic that its ok, the crackshaft, piston and rigs are all new. Now mechanics are telling me to buy a new engine but within me, I feel since the block engine and other major parts are ok, the error could just be from mechanics. Please, expert in the house advise me on the way to go.
Re: Writing Off A Car Engine by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:13pm On Jan 18, 2017
fidtopade:
I have this issue that has been brodering me for some time now. That had made me to come up with this question 'when do you consider a car engine a Write Off'. Me as a person who has no deep knowledge about the workerbility of car engine and functions of most of the parts. I believe that when an engine go bad it won't be in its entirety, so the parts that goes bad can easily be change and the car come on road again. I have a car engine that got knocked some time last year, precisingly 2.4 Camry. Before it got knock, the red oil light came up but I didn't pay attention to it, when the car finally knock, I was asked to buy all the damaged parts which I did but after all said and done the oil light is still on. I took the car to another mechanic who strip the whole engine and still couple it back, the oil light still on. The block engine, I was told by both mechanic that its ok, the crackshaft, piston and rigs are all new. Now mechanics are telling me to buy a new engine but within me, I feel since the block engine and other major parts are ok, the error could just be from mechanics. Please, expert in the house advise me on the way to go.

Oil pressure is reduced by a leak from the balance shafts/a lack of the balance shafts. Seen it too many times
Re: Writing Off A Car Engine by fidtopade: 10:00pm On Jan 18, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

Oil pressure is reduced by a leak from the balance shafts/a lack of the balance shafts. Seen it too many times
what do you suggest I should do??
Re: Writing Off A Car Engine by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:20am On Jan 19, 2017
fidtopade:
what do you suggest I should do??

ask mechanic if this was installed or removed

Re: Writing Off A Car Engine by Emekayoung(m): 9:22pm On Jan 20, 2017
Oil pump might have gone bad.
Re: Writing Off A Car Engine by Lancasterman: 7:48pm On Jan 21, 2017
sorry pls. i did a scan on my car and got some codes for knock sensor 1 and 2 and o2 sensor. the O2 sensor should be the reason for my high consumption but what is the significance of the knock sensor code. i have noticed oil shortage on the engine. is it due to the knock sensor issue. the car is a Sienna 2000 model. thanks.
Re: Writing Off A Car Engine by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:36pm On Jan 21, 2017
Lancasterman:
sorry pls. i did a scan on my car and got some codes for knock sensor 1 and 2 and o2 sensor. the O2 sensor should be the reason for my high consumption but what is the significance of the knock sensor code. i have noticed oil shortage on the engine. is it due to the knock sensor issue. the car is a Sienna 2000 model. thanks.

If you notice, cars no longer have distributors that can be adjusted to advance or ret.ard timing, timing values are adjusted when the knock sensors report information from combustion detonation and the timing is advanced or reta.rded by the engine ecu as required.

The knock sensors are very powerful microphones that can pic up vibrations caused by detonation in the combustion chamber. They also generate their own A.C voltage.

(1) (Reply)

Who Has This Car For Sale At A Reasonable Price? / Symptoms That Might Indicate That Your Timing Belt Is Wearing Out - FRSC / How Can I Get Driving Licence In Port Harcourt In Less Than 2 Weeks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.