Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,513 members, 7,958,554 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 05:05 PM

5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars (24981 Views)

Myth About Electric & Hybrid Cars: Are They Really For Nigeria? / 5 Disadvantages Of Putting Your Cars In Park At The Traffic Light? / What Is Tge Advantage Of Hybrid Cars Over Non Hybrids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars by Nobody: 8:02am On Jan 22, 2017
kingreign:

Must you always be an idiot?

Bros aaaah! that was too harsh calling him an idiot is an insult to all existing idiots worldwide. don't take life seriously o jare!
Re: 5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars by youngice(m): 8:03am On Jan 22, 2017
You guys should stop posting poorly researched topics in the car section
I Remember the good old days when the car talk section was the most mature on Nl

1 Like

Re: 5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars by kingreign(m): 8:05am On Jan 22, 2017
AutoJoshNG:
Hybrids are awesome ,the opportunity of having not to waste much money on fuel is a great advantage .But in the engineering world we have a saying “No machine is hundred percent efficient “.And I also have a belief , no matter how awesome a machine is ,there would be some down sides .So what are the disadvantages of hybrids ?,lets find out .

1.INITIAL COST PRICE
Well, this is not a subject of debate , hybrids cost more .Some prices can make you drain your account .So if you are thinking of getting a hybrid , consider the cost.

2. RUNNING COST
From maintenance to replacements,the running cost of hybrid cars is neck breaking.The last I heard the batteries go for nothing less than 300,000 Naira .

3.POSSIBLE ELECTROCUTION
Because the batteries have high voltages ,there could be electrocution most likely when an accident occurs.

4.FLOOD LIMITATIONS
Because of a high concentration of electrical gadgetry , it’s very dangerous driving in a flood .Especially because of the battery .Infact the flood can render the vehicle useless,as I stated earlier ,it has more electrical and electronic components than regular cars ,the water from the flood could cause a short or bridge in the electrical circuits causing a total or partial damage.

5.LESS ENGINE POWER
Because of the small gas engine with and electric side to compensate for it .Most ,though not all hybrid cars , have less engine power compared to regular cars .So if you are looking for speed and acceleration and massive Horse Powers , hybrids are not for you.

Have a point or two to add ?,or do you disagree with any of my points ?.Keep the comments rolling in.

By Donald3d

https://autojosh.com/5-disadvantages-of-hybrid-cars/

Cc
Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy

Your post lack credence. No pun intended.
1. Production Cost of hybrids are more expensive compared to conventional petrols. This droves the cost of the car higher and would be seen as a disadvantage.

2. Materials for production: in the course of producing hybrid cars which lessens the impact of harmful gases to the atmosphere, the compounds and chemicals and various parts used are product of chemical reactions and they also have been found to constitute environmental hazards when they are analyzed or reverse engineered.

3 mass of vehicles: most hybrids are heavier than conventional vehicles. Compare the mass of a 2009 Camry Left 2.4l and a Camry Hybrid of same year, the hybrid packs alone could weigh up to 129kg more.

4. Complexity of the cars: the hydrid cars are very complex vehicles and require specialized repair workshops who would charge high amounts to repair them.

5. Disposal of hybrid components: during disposal of hybrid components, one must be careful not to touch the live wires with bare hands as they could electrocute one. Besides, the hybrid battery packs requires special disposal methods so as not to contaminate the environment or explode when subjected to the elements.

6. Bill for repairs: Conventional cars could last long with less repair bills, to fix a hybrid inverter or replace a battery pack you'd need to spend close to 600,000 naira.
Re: 5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars by folahann(m): 8:05am On Jan 22, 2017
Why is Toyota Prius always associated with hybridization. Are all Prius cars hybrid?

1 Like

Re: 5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars by kingreign(m): 8:07am On Jan 22, 2017
siakhris:

Bros aaaah! that was too harsh calling him an idiot is an insult to all existing idiots worldwide. don't take life seriously o jare!

I do not take things too serious, but must he insult the person of the president who is even his grand father's age mate?
His dislike for the president should be kept to his circles and not brought up to derail all threads thus showing his stupidity.

5 Likes

Re: 5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars by Nobody: 8:15am On Jan 22, 2017
Brightwood:
What people fail to realize is that by changing your old car to a Hybrid you are contributing more for global warming and pollution, The factories that manufacture these cars aren't clean, Okay, your fancy Hybrid runs on Electricity yeah? Where does that electricity come from? And is it clean?

Case in point, don't buy a car until your current completely breaks down.

Bros it's hybrid,which means its hybrid not electric,it charges itself.

@op,
Hybrid cars are on a different level now try Mercedes,Lexus or Prius new models from 2011 and tell me if there's power or not.

Hybrids rock.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars by Nobody: 8:22am On Jan 22, 2017
folahann:
Why is Toyota Prius always associated with hybridization. Are all Prius cars hybrid?

Yes.
Hybrid and electric only.

1 Like

Re: 5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars by Nobody: 8:23am On Jan 22, 2017
euromilion:

Bros it's hybrid,which means its hybrid not electric,it charges itself.

@op,
Hybrid cars are on a different level now try Mercedes,Lexus or Prius new models from 2011 and tell me if there's power or not.

Hybrids rock.

No, hybrids simply use two or more energy sources...usually electricity and gas so I'm right.
Re: 5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars by Nobody: 8:25am On Jan 22, 2017
Brightwood:

No, hybrids simply use two or more energy sources...usually electricity and gas so I'm right.

Hybrid is battery and gas.

Electric car uses electricity.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars by ojlifa: 8:25am On Jan 22, 2017
children of hate well done,what you wish for others would get to you first

project55:
Hybrid cars are better than this zoo president.. ..Am happy that buhari is dead .. Even though my dog name is buhari
Re: 5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars by Nobody: 8:29am On Jan 22, 2017
euromilion:

Hybrid is battery and gas.

Electric car uses electricity.

Of course everyone knows Hybrids use gas, I was referring to its electric component and how does Hybrid run on Battery isn't that the same thing as rechargeable lithium aka electricity.

Re: 5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars by Nobody: 8:30am On Jan 22, 2017
kingreign:

Your post lack credence. No pun intended.
1. Production Cost of hybrids are more expensive compared to conventional petrols. This droves the cost of the car higher and would be seen as a disadvantage.

2. Materials for production: in the course of producing hybrid cars which lessens the impact of harmful gases to the atmosphere, the compounds and chemicals and various parts used are product of chemical reactions and they also have been found to constitute environmental hazards when they are analyzed or reverse engineered.

3 mass of vehicles: most hybrids are heavier than conventional vehicles. Compare the mass of a 2009 Camry Left 2.4l and a Camry Hybrid of same year, the hybrid packs alone could weigh up to 129kg more.

4. Complexity of the cars: the hydrid cars are very complex vehicles and require specialized repair workshops who would charge high amounts to repair them.

5. Disposal of hybrid components: during disposal of hybrid components, one must be careful not to touch the live wires with bare hands as they could electrocute one. Besides, the hybrid battery packs requires special disposal methods so as not to contaminate the environment or explode when subjected to the elements.

6. Bill for repairs: Conventional cars could last long with less repair bills, to fix a hybrid inverter or replace a battery pack you'd need to spend close to 600,000 naira.

Bros you and the op are saying the same thing na,which one come be lack credence?

1 Like

Re: 5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars by Djtm(m): 8:31am On Jan 22, 2017
Gidobaba:
We learn every day

A lot of those points are not true.
Re: 5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars by kingreign(m): 8:37am On Jan 22, 2017
euromilion:

Bros you and the op are saying the same thing na,which one come be lack credence?
No, we are opining differently. This time, read both opinions S L O W L Y, you'd realise the difference. wink
Re: 5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars by Nobody: 8:41am On Jan 22, 2017
kingreign:

No, we are opining differently. This time, read both opinions S L O W L Y, you'd realise the difference. wink

Everything you wrote there is disadvantage na,no?

1 Like

Re: 5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars by 912(m): 8:52am On Jan 22, 2017
Brightwood:
[s]What people fail to realize is that by changing your old car to a Hybrid you are contributing more for global warming and pollution[/s], The factories that manufacture these cars aren't clean, Okay, your fancy Hybrid runs on Electricity yeah? Where does that electricity come from? And is it clean?

[[s]b]Typical ignorant Dunce, who's talking about Car components, buying electric or hybrid cars simply switch your energy consumption from gas to electricity...The electric charging stations of hybrids are usually run by power plants that consume non Renewable products like coal, natural gas in Third
World countries, so hybrids are virtually useless for saving energy there, infact studies have shown if all cars are replaced with hybrids, it will reduce pollution by a very negligent amount.
[/b]
[/s]

Please get your facts right. Don't try to mislead people with false information. There is one at Dutchee Park close to my place in the UK. It has nothing to do with any type of power plants you just mentioned. And by studies it reduces pollution by about 60% and not a negligible amount like you claimed ( www.audubon.org/magazine/september-october.../green-guru-do-electric-cars-really )

Again they don't contribute to any global warming rubbish like you claim. That is why your emission tax is next to nothing if you drive an electric car.

Please do not tell lies just to prove a point.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars by kabrud: 9:12am On Jan 22, 2017
Brightwood:
What people fail to realize is that by changing your old car to a Hybrid you are contributing more for global warming and pollution, The factories that manufacture these cars aren't clean, Okay, your fancy Hybrid runs on Electricity yeah? Where does that electricity come from? And is it clean?

Typical ignorant Dunce, who's talking about Car components, buying electric or hybrid cars simply switch your energy consumption from gas to electricity...The electric charging stations of hybrids are usually run by power plants that consume non Renewable products like coal, natural gas in Third
World countries, so hybrids are virtually useless for saving energy there, infact studies have shown if all cars are replaced with hybrids, it will reduce pollution by a very negligent amount.

Why not do urself a favour by stopping this naked display of ignorance? U mean hybrid cars have chambers for the combustion of chemicals like coal? Haba bros. If they actually have those facilities as u claim, why is it that the emitted residues that constitute environmental pollution are not visible? Or are u saying that the product of incomplete combustion from coal (mainly carbon monoxide) is not visible again? Pls explain how exactly hybrid cars constitute environmental pollution.
U also shot urself in the foot by admitting that research has shown that if all cars are replaced by hybrids, it will reduce pollution by a very negligent amount. If it actually reduces pollution, then how do u reconcile this with ur claim that hybrid cars are more sources of pollution than conventional cars?

2 Likes

Re: 5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars by uncleu(m): 10:16am On Jan 22, 2017
I have this funny story. Two years ago I bought a 2008 Toyota highlander online on www.iaai.com. I don't know what happened, but I didn't see the part that stated clearly that it was hybrid. The car was delivered straight to my mechanic who called me immediately asking me why I used my money to buy trouble. He made me feel bad.
I have enjoyed the car these past 2 years. Haven't had any problem with the hybrid system and the fuel economy is something else. I could stay in the car for hours playing music and enjoying the AC with the fuel level remaining unchanged. My only problem is that I know it has little or no second hand value, and also that I can't easily find a ready buyer in Nigeria. I will not advise anyone to buy a hybrid guy.

1 Like

Re: 5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars by Mrtesso: 10:24am On Jan 22, 2017
Donbiddy:
And here I am, thinking of buying an Hybrid Camry. Let me read well and see if I need to think twice.

By all means bro, pls go for the hybrid camry. Toyota's hybrids are great and come with amazing efficacy On gas mileage, and some other maintenance like engine servicing and brake servicing too. If u like speed, pls dont be deterred by the Op's opinion, they give as much horsepower as u desire, only that handling might be poor because the ride feels weightless most times.

07 Highlander hybrid used cumulatively #6000 on fuel from Port Harcourt to Uromi in Édo state and back, covering roughly 249miles(may have to check where i copied that down to be sure.)

The major challenge hybrids have had in this country are qualified technical personnel to handle em. However that's no longer the case. In Port Harcourt there are a number of guys who are well trained on hybrid vehicle maintenance. I've met persons who ve driven their hybrids for 6years with neither changing the battery nor major hybrid components. As with most equipment hybrid systems have rules; u stick to them, they serve u well. Basically don't touch wat ure prohibited from touching, don't place the car on neutral Wen idling- to prolong battery life and transmission issues, and be sure to READ THE MANUAL COVER TO COVER!!!

It's a good buy...go for it. My 1cent opinion.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars by Mrtesso: 10:25am On Jan 22, 2017
uncleu:
I have this funny story. Two years ago I bought a 2008 Toyota highlander online on www.iaai.com. I don't know what happened, but I didn't see the part that stated clearly that it was hybrid. The car was delivered straight to my mechanic who called me immediately asking me why I used my money to buy trouble. He made me feel bad.
I have enjoyed the car these past 2 years. Haven't had any problem with the hybrid system and the fuel economy is something else. I could stay in the car for hours playing music and enjoying the AC with the fuel level remaining unchanged. My only problem is that I know it has little or no second hand value, and also that I can't easily find a ready buyer in Nigeria. I will not advise anyone to buy a hybrid guy.

Please whenever u wanna sell pleaaassssseeeer contact me. Please!!!! Infact I go dey monitor u hence forth grin

If its well used it has good resale value. Hybrid cars are the future. The sooner we accept that the better. These same myths came with the automatic transmission thingy. And that made our fathers to drive manual cars till their spines and limbs started warning them. Now who wants to drive a manual car? Really few Nigérians I'm sure.

Hybrid systems are the future of cars in Nigeria and the world over. Gas prices arent coming down, the weather is getting warmer and the economy is biting harder. U have an edge over the other man if u understand the hybrid system. grin

So if u need a hybrid technician in and around Port Harcourt just feel free to ask and I'd point u in d direction of one.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars by tillaman(m): 12:13pm On Jan 22, 2017
Hybrid all the way!!
Re: 5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars by Donbiddy(m): 1:04pm On Jan 22, 2017
Mrtesso:

By all means bro, pls go for the hybrid camry. Toyota's hybrids are great and come with amazing efficacy On gas mileage, and some other maintenance like engine servicing and brake servicing too. If u like speed, pls dont be deterred by the Op's opinion, they give as much horsepower as u desire, only that handling might be poor because the ride feels weightless most times.

07 Highlander hybrid used cumulatively #6000 on fuel from Port Harcourt to Uromi in Édo state and back, covering roughly 249miles(may have to check where i copied that down to be sure.)

The major challenge hybrids have had in this country are qualified technical personnel to handle em. However that's no longer the case. In Port Harcourt there are a number of guys who are well trained on hybrid vehicle maintenance. I've met persons who ve driven their hybrids for 6years with neither changing the battery nor major hybrid components. As with most equipment hybrid systems have rules; u stick to them, they serve u well. Basically don't touch wat ure prohibited from touching, don't place the car on neutral Wen idling- to prolong battery life and transmission issues, and be sure to READ THE MANUAL COVER TO COVER!!!

It's a good buy...go for it. My 1cent opinion.
What a read! Worth the read! Thanks bro. I'm definitely going for it now.

Going for the 07 Toyota Camry (Sport Version). Costing a fortune but I guess its going to be money well spent. Thanks again.
Re: 5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars by Nobody: 2:35pm On Jan 22, 2017
kabrud:

Why not do urself a favour by stopping this naked display of ignorance? U mean hybrid cars have chambers for the combustion of chemicals like coal? Haba bros. If they actually have those facilities as u claim, why is it that the emitted residues that constitute environmental pollution are not visible? Or are u saying that the product of incomplete combustion from coal (mainly carbon monoxide) is not visible again? Pls explain how exactly hybrid cars constitute environmental pollution.
U also shot urself in the foot by admitting that research has shown that if all cars are replaced by hybrids, it will reduce pollution by a very negligent amount. If it actually reduces pollution, then how do u reconcile this with ur claim that hybrid cars are more sources of pollution than conventional cars?

What ignorance, it's you whom fail to grasp my simple logic...RUBBISH....who said anything about Car combustion...If you drive your car to a charging station, the electricity you use to charge it comes from power plants fueled by Non renewable resources so you are actually switching your energy from Gas to Gas and Electricity capische?

So what's your point? What are the chances of all the cars being switched to Hybrids, in fact even 50% are switched, it won't make a difference.
Re: 5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars by Odinz(m): 2:53pm On Jan 22, 2017
I think the manufacturers are aware and know how to handle the last three things you mention.

Technology is rapidly advancing, hybrid cars are the future of cars
Re: 5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars by kabrud: 2:58pm On Jan 22, 2017
Brightwood:

What ignorance, it's you whom fail to grasp my simple logic...RUBBISH....who said anything about Car combustion...If you drive your car to a charging station, the electricity you use to charge it comes from power plants fueled by Non renewable resources so you are actually switching your energy from Gas to Gas and Electricity capische?

So what's your point? What are the chances of all the cars being switched to Hybrids, in fact even 50% are switched, it won't make a difference.

I say keep kwayet. Why are u mentioning this non Renewable energy source as if it is one big thing? Don't get urself confused with words whose meaning are not very clear to u. Hybrid cars use the conventional energy sources (pms/ago). However, they have high-capacity batteries which are charged with the aid of alternators when the cars are running on fuel just the way the batteries of conventional cars are charged but when they switch from the fuel mode, the propelling energy is drawn from energy stored in the battery while running on fuel, and this is why the cars are called hybrid, i.e they can alternate between fuel and battery (cross breed). So what is so difficult to understand that u are busy mentioning things like non renewable, coal etc.
Re: 5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars by Pebcak: 3:00pm On Jan 22, 2017
No I drive a lexus hs250 hybrid and all what you have said is pretty wrong these are part of the issues we raising highbrow when hybrid cars started getting into the market as far as less power my hs250 still gat the kick

Re: 5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars by Mrtesso: 3:14pm On Jan 22, 2017
Donbiddy:
What a read! Worth the read! Thanks bro. I'm definitely going for it now.

Going for the 07 Toyota Camry (Sport Version). Costing a fortune but I guess its going to be money well spent. Thanks again.

Best wishes bro, u welcome

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Made In Nigerian Buses Finally Hit Lagos Road. / Innoson Rolls Out 500 Made In Nigeria Cars Today / These Are Duties And Functions Of LASTMA, VIO And FRSC Officers - AutoReportNG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.