Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,864 members, 7,810,293 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:01 AM

Finding Nigerian Roots - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Finding Nigerian Roots (3589 Views)

African-americans Trace Roots To Igbo Land / 50 Africa -americans Arrive Benin To Trace Their Roots …to Get Benin Names / The Chiefdom Of Ogiso And Kingdom Of Bini Both Have Roots In Ile-ife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Finding Nigerian Roots by Nobody: 1:45pm On Jan 20, 2017
Hey Nairaland,

I just recently done a DNA test on Ancestry to trace my roots. It came back with results of Great Britain, Ireland, Nigeria, Senegal, Benin and a little North African. However the largest percentage was in Nigeria at 38%. So I'm trying to find more information about Nigeria, it's people and I want to learn an Nigerian language and the resources for African languages in the U.S. is very scarce. The best option is probably Arabic but I don't think they speak any Arabic in Nigeria to any significant portion right?

I am a African-American and I want to know your opinions.
Do you see any Nigerian features or aspects about me?
I think this so interesting.

I've included a photo as well. Thanks!

2 Likes

Re: Finding Nigerian Roots by Taiwo20(m): 2:00pm On Jan 20, 2017
Your nose looks southern Nigerian.......... Yoruba or something
Re: Finding Nigerian Roots by Nobody: 2:28pm On Jan 20, 2017
So what features are the strongest with each major group ? Igbo, Hausa, & Yoruba ?
Can you tell them apart ?
Re: Finding Nigerian Roots by Probz(m): 2:53pm On Jan 20, 2017
khonos:
So what features are the strongest with each major group ? Igbo, Hausa, & Yoruba ?

Hearsay has it that all Igbos are fair (esp. the womenfolk), muscly, hairy, and flat-headed (males); that Yorubas are dark and have big booty (the broads); and that Hausas barely look Nigerian at all.

My personal observations are that Yorubas tend to be bigger overall in size and have more 'Mongoloid' features (like the nose of the guy pictured above) and Hausas do tend to have more of an Afro-Asiatic/Arab look (though stereotypically charcoal black), which isn’t surprising given it shares borders with the Sahara desert and, as an ethnic group, extends to Sahelian nations (inc. Niger and Chad) and bear more physical resemblance to these groups than they do their neighbouring, more prototypal southern Nigerians. I also would say that there’s a much higher chance of a bearded fair fellow with an African-American look being Igbo than anything else and there does seem to be a somewhat higher incidence of Igbos being light-skinned between all major ethnic groups but the whole thing’s overhyped. I’ve seen plenty of fair Yorubas in my life and most of them are the least likely to bleach (all the Mama Bukis and holy Deeper Life auntie Funkes). There's more of a variance in Igbo looks compared to the two other major tribes (esp. re. skin tone) but at least two-thirds of us are still dark-ass niggas.

1 Like

Re: Finding Nigerian Roots by Nobody: 2:59pm On Jan 20, 2017
Ah okay great explanation. As far as the man above, that is me. Haha grin

I'm asking because I get questions as to whether I'm fully black. Some see me as an Arab, Brazilian, Dominican, Mixed (Black & White) but never fully black as I was asking for your POV as Africans. Would I blend in with the crowd in Nigeria or stick out ?
Re: Finding Nigerian Roots by Probz(m): 3:23pm On Jan 20, 2017
khonos:

I'm asking because I get questions as to whether I'm fully black. Some see me as an Arab, Brazilian, Dominican, Mixed (Black & White) but never fully black as I was asking for your POV as Africans. Would I blend in with the crowd in Nigeria or stick out ?

Yeah, I should probably learn to read OPs better. My bad.

You ain't a bad-looking nigga, by the way.

I'd allow the mixed race suggestion since most akata (black Americans) and Afro-Caribbeans have anything in the region of 15-30% European ancestry but they don't see themselves as any other than full nigga, and neither do most oyibo (white) people. The only phenotypically 100% pure blacks can be found in present sub-Saharan Africa and even we've originated from a great wave of migration (a growing and sizeable minority of Igbos claim Hebrew/Israeli descent). You might not be as pure as an African but it's safe to say you've established your identity as a black man before you took your DNA test and you don't look anything other than black (however fair), unless you can give us percentages of exactly just how mixed you are with European ancestry).

I will say that you do have the stereotypical Igbo look (save for the nose). Igbos and akata are often said to have a strong physical resemblance and the last bit in my post above coincidentally describes you perfectly. grin

Make I introduce you small small to Naijalingo if you wanna be one of us. That's why I keep infusing phrases like akata.

And to answer the question in your OP, Arabic isn't spoken at all in Nigeria but Hausa is in the north (Afro-Asiatic) but you don't want to learn that and there really isn't any need learning it.
Re: Finding Nigerian Roots by Nobody: 4:35pm On Jan 20, 2017
Finally getting some answers and thanks for being accepting.

What are some traditions of the Igbo? Culture, Language etc.

I figured that now I that I know my roots, I can starting adopting them and hopefully pave the way (for my children at least) to reclaim African traditions, culture and language.
Re: Finding Nigerian Roots by Nobody: 5:23pm On Jan 20, 2017
Here are the DNA percentages if you wanted to know :

Nigeria 38%
Senegal 17%
Benin/Togo 11%
Ireland 9%
Cameroon/Congo 7%
Europe West 5%
Ivory Coast/Ghana 3%
Great Britain 2%
Africa Southeastern Bantu 2%
Africa South-Central Hunter-Gatherers 2%
Mali 1%
Africa North < 1%
America < 1%
Asia < 1%

1 Like

Re: Finding Nigerian Roots by Afam4eva(m): 7:22pm On Jan 20, 2017
@OP
Good to know that you have decided to trace your roots. But i thought those DNA tests used to be specific as to which ethnic group in Nigeria part of your DNA comes from. It would have made things better. But all is not lost.

I don't think i can use your physically to attribute to any ethnic group as you have lived in America for eons and have genes from other races as well. I'll suggest that you should just choose a Nigerian culture to adopt and take it from there. My suggestion would be IGBO because i'm one and more Igbo slaves were taken to the Americas than any of ethnic group owing to their physical strength.

Welcome Home once again.
Re: Finding Nigerian Roots by Probz(m): 9:18pm On Jan 20, 2017
khonos:

Nigeria 38%
Senegal 17%
Benin/Togo 11%
Ireland 9%
Cameroon/Congo 7%
Europe West 5%
Ivory Coast/Ghana 3%
Great Britain 2%
Mali 1%
Africa North < 1%
America < 1%
Asia < 1%

There you go. I calculate that to be 81% sub-Saharan African so you're no more mixed than your average Afro-American. Having scanty European admixture doesn't make push you anywhere near to what people would consider mixed race so you can safely call yourself a black man.

It's not even a definite that you're of Igbo ancestry since the Nigerian statistic doesn't specify tribe/ethnic group but I'd say your physical looks and the fact that you're African-American (most Nigerian ancestry in akata points more towards Igbo than any other clan and at least 60% of African-Americans are said to have at least one Igbo ancestor) both suggest you are so I'd side with that, which I can see you've already done.

One thing you'll notice about traditional Igbo society is that it's less united and homogeneous than most other Nigerian cultures and much more fragmented and regionally diverse (I'm talking pre-colonial era) but common traditions include Odinani (the ancient mythology we subscribed to before the white man brought over Christianity), kola nut (oji), yam festivals, etc. We're stereotypically highly industrious and business-minded (and our love of money) and our biggest achievement is probably Nollywood (the official Nigerian move industry, Igbo-controlled and dominated). There's tons and tons more to be said but ama leave you with a very brief summary and advise you to do your own research re. culture. Wiki sounds daft but it has a decent (but short) article on Igbos and their culture - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igbo_people, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igbo_culture. Biafra's a hot topic too so you might wanna look into the Nigerian Civil War.
Re: Finding Nigerian Roots by RedboneSmith(m): 9:29pm On Jan 20, 2017
Don't learn Arabic if you want to communicate with Nigerians. Would be a total waste of time. (I think the '70s 'Roots' widely exaggerated the impact of Arabic among black Africans.) You'll be fine with English. If you want to learn a local language, though, the most widely spoken are Hausa, Yoruba and Igbo.

1 Like

Re: Finding Nigerian Roots by Probz(m): 9:37pm On Jan 20, 2017
RedboneSmith:
Don't learn Arabic if you want to communicate with Nigerians. Would be a total waste of time. (I think the '70s 'Roots' widely exaggerated the impact of Arabic among black Africans.) You'll be fine with English. If you want to learn a local language, though, the most widely spoken are Hausa, Yoruba and Igbo.

That. Or pidgin English. Nigerians speak more of that than standard English in most informal settings and it can actually save your life in certain situations. So learn am well well.
Re: Finding Nigerian Roots by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 7:56pm On Jan 21, 2017
Lalasticlala
Re: Finding Nigerian Roots by bigfrancis21: 5:34pm On Jan 22, 2017
khonos:

Nigeria 38%
Senegal 17%
Benin/Togo 11%
Ireland 9%
Cameroon/Congo 7%
Europe West 5%
Ivory Coast/Ghana 3%
Great Britain 2%
Mali 1%
Africa North < 1%
America < 1%
Asia < 1%

What part of the US are you from? If you are from the mid-atlantic/Chesapeake area (Virginia, Maryland, DC, Pennsylvania areas etc.), your Nigerian DNA is likely to be from the Bight of Biafra region (Igbo, Ijaw, Ibibio/Efik, Ejagham etc.).

By physical looks, many Nigerians would tell you pass of as Igbo facially. 'Light-skinnedness' in Nigeria is easily attributable to Igbos of Nigeria, the Ibibios/Efiks and also the Binis/Edos. A lot of questions have been raised as to the phenomenon of 'light-skinnedness' among the Igbos, which predates slavery as Igbo slaves in the US born in Africa were often known for their 'yellowish' skin tones, hence the origin of the phrase, red ibo (in Jamaica), which later became red bone. However, this is a genetic feature which has always been native to the Igbos. Igbo slaves in the Americas were often known to be runaways and rebellious to slavery, though quite hardworking and loyal if you buy their confidence.

I would strongly recommend that you find out which of Nigeria's tribes your Nigerian DNA matches with. If it happens to be Igbo, welcome home brother. Many African Americans of Igbo ancestry are recently reuniting with Igbos in America and reclaiming their heritage, including Igbo names in a reunion ceremony, as you can see in the video below. It is being championed by Chinyere Naja Njoku, an African American who by DNA test discovered she is Igbo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvbkl9Ib_m4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvrfB7ENqvY

Every year, Igbos living here in the US organize an annual convention, Umu Igbo Unite, which showcases the beauty and customs of the Igbo tradition and attracts Igbos and African Americans of Igbo ancestry nationwide. It is definitely one event you should attend as you journey through embracing your African heritage. That of this year holds in August. Here you can view images from last year's Umu Igbo Unite event in Chicago:

http://umuigbounite.com/12th-annual-umu-igbo-unite-convention/

Welcome home Naija boy. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Finding Nigerian Roots by fflamingo(m): 11:30pm On Jan 24, 2017
khonos:
Google Carl ikeme you've a striking physical and facial resemblance with him.
Re: Finding Nigerian Roots by Nobody: 6:47am On Jan 25, 2017
Immediately i saw your picture i thought igbo without a doubt. Hope that helps.
Re: Finding Nigerian Roots by Nobody: 6:50am On Jan 25, 2017
khonos:

If i saw you on the street i would have no reason to think you werent a nigerian. Hope that helps. Obviously you may not exhibit stereotypical african complexion but a lot of nigerian ethnicities dont and your nose definitely spells igbo. Welcome to the nigerian family though.
Re: Finding Nigerian Roots by Nobody: 6:52am On Jan 25, 2017
Probz:

Hearsay has it that all Igbos are fair (esp. the womenfolk), muscly, hairy, and flat-headed (males); that Yorubas are dark and have big booty (the broads); and that Hausas barely look Nigerian at all.

My personal observations are that Yorubas tend to be bigger overall in size and have more 'Mongoloid' features (like the nose of the guy pictured above) and Hausas do tend to have more of an Afro-Asiatic/Arab look (though stereotypically charcoal black), which isn’t surprising given it shares borders with the Sahara desert and, as an ethnic group, extends to Sahelian nations (inc. Niger and Chad) and bear more physical resemblance to these groups than they do their neighbouring, more prototypal southern Nigerians. I also would say that there’s a much higher chance of a bearded fair fellow with an African-American look being Igbo than anything else and there does seem to be a somewhat higher incidence of Igbos being light-skinned between all major ethnic groups but the whole thing’s overhyped. I’ve seen plenty of fair Yorubas in my life and most of them are the least likely to bleach (all the Mama Bukis and holy Deeper Life auntie Funkes). There's more of a variance in Igbo looks compared to the two other major tribes (esp. re. skin tone) but at least two-thirds of us are still dark-ass niggas.

Here you go saying we dont look like nigerians again. What does that mean? We are nigerians just like you so what if we say you dont look nigerian how would that make you feel?
Re: Finding Nigerian Roots by Probz(m): 2:33pm On Jan 25, 2017
VomeSchakleton:

Here you go saying we dont look like nigerians again. What does that mean? We are nigerians just like you so what if we say you dont look nigerian how would that make you feel?

I'm just going by conventional Nigerian standards re. looks, and I don't know why you're saying 'again' since this is the first time I've made this type of post on here.

And I'd brush it off since everyone's allowed to express their opinions on an open forum. I expect Nigerians to have a certain level of thick skin. You know full well that the stereotypical Nigerian is a southerner, not a northerner. All I'm doing is going by conventional standards.
Re: Finding Nigerian Roots by Nobody: 2:42pm On Jan 25, 2017
Probz:

I'm just going by conventional Nigerian standards re. looks, and I don't know why you're saying 'again' since this is the first time I've made this type of post on here.

And I'd brush it off since everyone's allowed to express their opinions on an open forum. I expect Nigerians to have a certain level of thick skin. You know full well that the stereotypical Nigerian is a southerner, not a northerner. All I'm doing is going by conventional standards.

Its not just you, its most southerners seeing us as inferior nigerians or even rebuffing our citizenship. You promote these stereotypes and neglect our presence just like your comment up there did.
Re: Finding Nigerian Roots by Probz(m): 2:50pm On Jan 25, 2017
VomeSchakleton:

Its not just you, its most southerners seeing us as inferior nigerians or even rebuffing our citizenship. You promote these stereotypes and neglect our presence just like your comment up there did.

I'm not neglecting anyone's presence, bros. All I'm saying is that when a typical non-Nigerian thinks of a stereotypical Nigerian, they're thinking more about southerners than northerners, especially since northerners are the least likely to leave the shores of West Africa. Even Urhobo, Tiv, Itsekiri sef travel out more than northerners.

Bite me if you want. Una just don't represent the prototypal Nigerian image in the west.
Re: Finding Nigerian Roots by Nobody: 12:54am On Jan 26, 2017
Probz:

I'm not neglecting anyone's presence, bros. All I'm saying is that when a typical non-Nigerian thinks of a stereotypical Nigerian, they're thinking more about southerners than northerners, especially since northerners are the least likely to leave the shores of West Africa. Even Urhobo, Tiv, Itsekiri sef travel out more than northerners.

Bite me if you want. Una just don't represent the prototypal Nigerian image in the west.

Does that mean that someone who knows better like yourself should conform to these falsities?
Re: Finding Nigerian Roots by Probz(m): 3:06am On Jan 29, 2017
VomeSchakleton:

Does that mean that someone who knows better like yourself should conform to these falsities?

Am I conforming to falsities or merely stating popular belief? Without sounding petty or tribalistic, you northerners aren't exactly known for being exposed or well-travelled and you're as far removed from popular Nigerian culture as possible while still remaining in the borders of said country.

No vex.

(1) (Reply)

Afro-centrism: The Most Potent Form Of Self Hate. / I Am From East Africa! / Sub-tribalism(clanship) In South-east Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.