Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,838 members, 7,810,222 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:36 AM

Abel's Journal...( It Took A Bucket Of Water) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Abel's Journal...( It Took A Bucket Of Water) (590 Views)

Love Is A Game By Onyeneke Abel / Novel: Caught In The Moment (house Of Earl Fashion) Written By: Onyeneke Abel / Novel: Life Of A Celebrity Written By Onyeneke Abel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Abel's Journal...( It Took A Bucket Of Water) by jbgeorge: 8:47pm On Jan 20, 2017
IT TOOK A BUCKET OF WATER

My name is Abel and I am from the Eastern part of Nigeria. Two years ago frustration chased me out of my base in Abuja to spend some time with a friend of mine in Port Harcourt. I was frustrated because I had left the university three years before and no good job was forthcoming coupled with the fact that my girlfriend then had broken up with me because to her ' I had no future'.

I was so heart broken and called up my friend in Port Harcourt, we had gone to school together and he was fortunate to have been retained in the company he had served. Whenever he goes to work in the morning, I will be left alone in the house and the more I stayed alone, the more lonely and depressed I became.

One day, I got so depressed,so I just picked up my friend's bicycle and rode out. He stays in an estate and as such, the streets are always lonely especially on working days. As I was riding down the street, I saw a well dressed man pacing by his flashy car. When he caught sight of me, he beckoned on me. I was reluctant at first,hence he was a stranger. He beckoned again. A little more thought and my mind was made. I rode towards him.

" Young man please I need your help" He said to me and at that point, I noticed his car was overheating.
"What can I do for you sir?" I had asked him
"Please as you can see my car is overheating, I came looking for someone in this estate but like I missed my way and the person's phone is not connecting, please can you help me with some water to pour into the radiator?" I didn't see it as a problem since my friend's house was just a stone throw away, so I quickly went and got a bucket of water and I helped pour it into the radiator.

The man was so thankful and as he was dipping his hand into his pocket to give me some money, I told him not to bother,that I was happy to have helped him. But when he drove off, I began to regret why I didn't collect what he had wanted to give me,dipping my hand into my pocket, I felt the only N100 bill I had in my pocket and in my life at that time. I was as at then living at the mercy of my friend who I had come to stay with for a while but all the same I decided to forget it besides, while growing up my mother taught us kids not to receive payment for kindness shown to others, what we expect people to do to us we should do likewise.

Ater spending about two months at my friend's, I returned to Abuja to continue job hunting.One year later, whilst googling the internet in search of a job,I stumbled on a company in Lagos, I had always wanted to relocate to Lagos but only if I could get a job there so I decided to try the company but the problem was that one had to submit his/her CV in person and another problem was that I had no money to transport myself down to Lagos but I rallied around and got a loan from a few friends, I called my aunt in Lagos to tell her I was coming over and would be putting up with her.

So to Lagos I came, the very day I came my aunt said she hoped I wasn't staying in her house for long. I understood because she stayed in a single room with her 2 little kids and was striving to make it as a single mother. On a Monday, I went in person to submit my CV to the company, when I gave it to the man in charge,he reluctantly took it from me and said "We will give you a call"
"That's all?" I was forced to ask.
"Excuse me?" he said to me
"I came all the way from Abuja to submit this CV in person and all I get is that we will give you a call?" I asked in shock
"Were you expecting to hear the job is yours?" The man asked sarcastically and at that very moment, I hated him, I realized he was such a rude man"Please don't spoil my day, just go and we will get back to you"
"You wouldn't even open the envelop?"
"The person to open it has not arrived please Mr. man I say again, we will call you" With that said I turned and left the office, feeling so disappointed. As I walked towards the gate a security man ran to open the gate for a black Range Rover, I admired the ride and continued walking down still feeling so disappointed.

"Hello young man" A voice said to me, it was then I realized that the Range Rovee had packed right next to me and a man sitting at the owner's corner was looking at me with a smile.
"Hello sir" I greeted him as I stared at him
"How are you?"
"I am fine sir"
"You seem to have a very poor memory young man"
"I don't understand sir"
"Really? so my face is not familiar to you?"
I looked at him for a while and I said "No"
"Can I have a bucket of water?" He asked
"I am sorry sir, I don't work here, I only came to submit my CV"
"Don't tell me you are this dumb" He said laughing out loud "What will I be needing a bucket of water for? to bath in my car?" He asked still laughing and the more confused I got."You came to submit your CV you say?"
"Yes sir"
"What's your discipline?"
"I read statistics sir"
"No wonder, your brain is for remembering figures only and not faces" he said still laughing. Why was this man wasting my time and making me confused? I asked myself getting impatient and as I was about to tell him I needed to take my leave, he called one of the security guards to take me to his office and the driver drove off.
"Who is he? I mean the man?" I asked the security guard as he took me to the man''s office.
"That's the oga na,the owner of the company"
"Are you serious?" I asked in shock as he led me into the man's office, already he was seated at his desk.
"Have your seat" He said and I took my seat opposite him. "What's your name?" He asked and I immediately told him
He picked up his intercom and dialed a number "Ahmed bring Abel"s CV to my office now please" Almost immediately the man I had submitted my CV to came in with my CV and I could see the shock on his face when he saw me sitting opposite 'Oga at the top' and I couldn't help but smile at that moment. He handed over my CV and left immediately and I watched as the boss opened my CV and read through and as he did, he nodded his head.
"This is impressive Abel, I usually hire people with a good number of years of experience but you are hired"
"I am hired?" I asked surprised
"Yes, one good turn deserves another"
"I don't understand sir"
"Exactly one year ago I was stranded on a lonely street, passer-by number one walked by and I asked for water to put into my overheated engine but he said he was in a hurry and passer-by number two came riding on a bicycle and when I made the same.................."
"Ok sir, now I remember, I am so sorry I didn't recognize the face, so sorry sir, I am really bad with recalling faces especially if I meet the person just once"
"Some people are like that" He said to me with a smile "You are hired, I will instruct the HR to do you your appointment letter"
Yes, that was how a bucket of water changed my life. I was given an accommodation and an official car, my aunt had told me that she couldn't accommodate me for long only for me to get a 2 bed room apartment and an official car that same week. I have a very cordial relationship with my boss, I love my job, it has taken me to so many states in Nigeria and about 6 African countries.

All because I did a kind deed to a man.

The story continues in " My ex girlfriend on my mind" Watch out!!!

Re: Abel's Journal...( It Took A Bucket Of Water) by xaviercasmir(m): 9:09pm On Jan 20, 2017
intresting. Ride on

(1) (Reply)

Thank You Nigerians, From South Africans!!! / An Interview With Akinjide Akintayo (divepen) / It Is Rape

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.