Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,867 members, 7,824,609 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:26 PM

Sorry, I'm also devastated by her sudden death! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Sorry, I'm also devastated by her sudden death! (1601 Views)

Sorry Where Can Get A New Honda Coupe 2003 Engine? / Taking Delivery Of Your Car From The Ports. FX35 SUDDEN OVERHEATING / Nissan Primera Sudden Battery Cutoff (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sorry, I'm also devastated by her sudden death! by TRYGO(m): 11:42pm On Jan 20, 2017
INTRODUCTION

I know most of you guys would have being curious to find out, what the...does thus writer mean by "She suddenly died"?. Well, in sorry, I never meant to throw you guys into a state of mourning here.

I'm not referring to the death of a human being, here. But I'm kind of like referring to your car's engine.

Have you ever wondered, what on earth, could cause your car to suddenly stop on the middle of the road, maybe for instance, you're having a nice ride to the East, or going to Jos, Plateau State, or even being suddenly stuck in traffic on third mainland bridge, in Lagos Nigeria.

You crank the engine several times, the engine attempts to start, but hmmm! It just doesn't want to respond to your " abeg, start na" prayer?

If you're a resident of Lagos, Nigeria, you suddenly are unleashed with different thugs claiming to be "saviours" to you. If you aren't careful, you're disposed of your possessions.

Your cars engine can die down in the middle of the road, as a result of several reasons.

They're as follows:

* ignition related faults. Spark plugs that are worn out, or fouled with carbon deposits; faulty ignition control modules; deteriorated ignition coils(coil on pack on some models).

* bad ECUs. ECUs are a car's ultimate control system. It's the centre where all processing activities are carried out.

High speed communications between different sensors/switches/actuators are executed in some instances, via CAN(communication area network) protocols.

ECUs are synonymous to your computers CPU, in which that they are comprised of comprised of electronic components such as capacitors, dioxides, and even the circuit board circuitry.

*mechanical failure. This, I mean, engine failure.

This article would focus more on the MECHANICAL ASPECT of why SHE (your car) DIED SO SUDDENLY, EVEN THOUGH YOU KNEW THE CAR WAS IN A PERFECT STATE.

WHY DO CARS SUDDENLY SEIZE UNEXPECTEDLY WHILE DRIVING?

I think we or perhaps some of us, must have heard stories or experienced situations where someone you knew was hale and hearty, suddenly dies, or suffers from a certain form of seizure.

That's the same thing that happens to your cars engine. Its an inanimate object, so its bound to fail someday, without your knowing it. I know some folks would argue that with me though. Well, its fine; that's "democracy" in action.

Here are the reasons for engine seizures

1. Delayed engine oil change. Just like how blood is a very vital resource in the human body, so is an engine oil in a a car's engine.

Without engine oil in your car, your car's not gonna move an inch, without breaking down.

I know the economy is hard, and probably it's going to be insane for me to recommend a 3000km oil change to you. But I bet you, the cost of driving a car with an overdue engine oil, outweighs the benefits you might be expecting.

Delayed oil change most if the times, leads to oil shortages.

This is how it happens:
Oil in your car's engine, contains additives, which with time, oxidize, and form sludge, which settles down firstly, on the oil pan, and the valve cover baffle, before clogging other vital engine components. It is these clogs that are responsible for excess temperature rise, and engine failure.

So, what does the oil do to your car's engine?

¶ acts as a lubricating agent on the various internal engine components (crankshaft, camshaft, pistons, etc).
Lubricating these necessary parts, affords you a high fuel economy, reduction in overheating.

¶ acts a a cooling agent. Your car's engine is cooled to a tolerable level, in order to preserve the internal engine components, and also improve fuel economy.

* acts as contaminant absorber. Oils because of the additives in them, tend to absorb abrasives, and dirt from the engine, thereby protecting the engine.

What makes engine oils vary from one another, are the different grades of additives added, to achieve all, or some of the features above. Such additives are added, based on the required targeted engine operating performances(viscosities, temperature, etc).

∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆

If the engine oil in your car isn't replaced as at when due, the already existing additives necessary to achieve the desired objects would have degraded, increasing the chances of engine wear and tear, overheating, sludge build up, and even engine seizures(knock).

An overdue engine oil, contains contaminants like sludge, from the oxidation of the oil additives.
They also contain metal shavings, as a result if poor lubrication of engine parts.
It also contains dirt from the environment.

In such situations, the oil in your car, becomes like just ordinary oil, without any additives in it.

Its advisable to replace the engine oil, as at when due, in order to avert engine damage.

∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆

2. Overheating. An overheated or overheating engine is a panacea for an engine's sudden demise.

Overheating, or extreme temperature rise, does not occur without initial signs. You must have noticed that your temperature's gauge suddenly peaks, or the engine makes high engine noise.

This I mean, for instance, if the engine RPM had being, say, 1000, and suddenly you notice it has increased to 1800, or 2000, that calls for urgent attention.

The car's engine temperature would peak, and fuel economy suffers at the same time.

An overheated engine can cause the pistons, to undergo "beyond normal" temperature rise, which in the long run, are inimical to the smooth operation of the engine.

It is when these pistons expand, as they undergo several thousand degrees of temperature rises, that they tend to seize and stop working, in the interface between the engine block wall, and the pistons.

In some of these scenarios, engine block walls have broken, warranting the replacement of such components. You'll be lucky though, for that to be replaced, if your vehicle isn't under warranty.

3. Design flaws. No vehicle manufacturer that doesn't have one or two design flaws on their engine production lines. Humans make mistakes, robots, or animated processes also make "worst" mistakes too.

So, take for instance, if the diameter of oil passages on the crankshaft of a RX 300 is 5mm, and oil volume supply from the oil pump is at a rate if 1L/min. Let's assume that the standard diameter specifications for a Toyota production line making crankshafts, in say, for example, Mexico.

There would definitely be some mistakes
during such productions of those shafts(increased diameter to say, 20mm). The flow of oil through the crankshafts, and to the top at the requires speed, would be hampered. Because, the larger the diameter, the slower the movement. But the smaller the diameter, would increase the rate of spray to the required components at the right time.

SIGNS YOUR CAR'S ENGINE HAS SEIZED(FAILED)

* You suddenly realised while driving, the car just suddenly loss power.

* You start the car, the car refuses your cranks, even after all other culprits that could cause such failures, have being isolated.

* Sometimes you might here a knocking noise, before the engine dies down finally.

* Engine would never turn, as a mechanic attempts to rotate the engine e by hand, at the bonnet area.

WHAT DO YOU DO IN SUCH A SITUATION?

* Call your mechanic to find out what might have happened to your car, or engine.

* Be calm, and do not rush into doing anything.

* Request for a towing van, if the car is in an unsafe place.

You could tow the car to any neighboring town, or village, you have confidence in.

CONCLUSION

Engines do not suddenly fail, without no warning signs.
It pays to tackle every engine related noise or problem early, before it degenerates into something "mountainous", that at the end, creates a big hole in your finances.
Engine failures like this, don't require outright engine replacements.
It still depends on which side of the fence you're sitting on though.

€€€€€€€€€€€€¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶

CASE STUDY

Vehicle type: Highlander; 4X4
Model year: '03
Mileage: 167, 830miles
Engine type: V6; 1MZ-FE
Transmission type: Standard automatic

CUSTOMER'S COMPLAINT

Here's the customer's complaint

"I bought this Lexus as a Tokunbo(Nigeria's term for a used car), and as I was driving from Lagos to the Eastern part of the country(specifically Anambra), the car suddenly lost power, and stopped on the muddle of the road. It was such a dreadful thing, that there weren't cars behind me. I pulled over to a safe part of the road, tried cranking the engine several times, without success.
Consulted some mechanics over there, I was told the engine had knocked, or seized.
Customer towed the vehicle from Ore back to Lagos. Cost of towing was N60,000.

PS: This was a Tokunbo car, that's being in service for just 5months.

WHAT WE DID

In this part of our fix, we presented to options to the client.

1. Outrightly replace the engine completely. This method is mostly employed, if a client hasn't got the luxury of time to wait for engine overhauls.

2. Overhaul the engine, by replacing the damaged parts.
This would require us tearing the engine e apart, and replacing parts. Its cheap, depending g o. state of engine components damage, and the available time the client is willing to sacrifice.

Let me reiterate here that no engine that cannot be overhauled. Whether it's an aluminum, or cast engine block.

Don't believe the false stories people tell you about when aluminum engines are overhauled, they won't last. That would come I to play, if genuine engine parts aren't used, or the competence level of the technician is called to question.

*Inspected the car's engine when it was brought

*Discovered engine has seized already, and couldn't turn when the crankshaft pulley was turned manually.

* Dismantled the engine, and discovered

∆ 2Nos connecting rods main bearings had failed;

∆ Oil pan strainer, clogged with metal shavings

∆ Crankshaft No4 connecting rod inserts damaged, as a result of excessive friction.

∆ Noticed the engine internal components were all filled with sludge.

©©©©©©©©®®®®®©®®®®

* We ordered for the replacement parts, washed all necessary parts, and assembled the engine.
Started the engine, and everything runs cool.
* So, the other time you want to outrightly replace an engine, consider all other alternatives.

©©©©©©©©©®®®®®®®®®®

PSS: Just in case you've got any Toyota vehicle with model year from 98-2000, pray you don't experience engine seizures.

Toyota, has especially acknowledged there are some problems with this current engine make(1MZ-FE), suddenly stalling in motion, as a result of engine failures.

Here's the link:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-1st-to-4th-gen-1990-2006/262014-toyota-settles-on-oil-sludge-lawsuit-es300-and-rx300.html

That might be the probable reason why some Americans sell such cars, to Nigeria, in connivance with some Nigerian car dealers.

Regards,
Joseph(08066643532/call/WhatsApp)
oigonojoseph@yahoo.com
www.facebook.com/dexterwise - dw nig ltd

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sorry, I'm also devastated by her sudden death! by tizzdi(m): 11:56pm On Jan 20, 2017
I read all ..i die angry grin
Re: Sorry, I'm also devastated by her sudden death! by TRYGO(m): 12:02am On Jan 21, 2017
@tizzdi. Abeg no die o! grin@tizzdi. Abeg no die o!
Re: Sorry, I'm also devastated by her sudden death! by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:55am On Jan 21, 2017

1 Like

Re: Sorry, I'm also devastated by her sudden death! by kolnel: 5:24am On Jan 21, 2017
Pix showed is highlander, not RX 300
Re: Sorry, I'm also devastated by her sudden death! by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:51am On Jan 21, 2017
kolnel:
Pix showed is highlander, not RX 300

just looking at it.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4766179_tmpcam1917719341_jpeg324daa4bd0119dd0f01643f0a8671b59

Toyota, has especially acknowledged there are some problems with this current RX 300, suddenly stalling in motion, as a result of engine failures.

That might be the probable reason why some Americans sell such cars, to Nigeria, in connivance with some Nigerian car dealers.

absolute nonsense. Please quote where toyota stated this?
Re: Sorry, I'm also devastated by her sudden death! by Nobody: 6:06am On Jan 21, 2017
GAZZUZZ:
www.nairaland.com/attachments/4766185_tmpcam786842094_jpegae796cd7da55a5d70f48054632cd998f

I hope you know where the crankshaft is located?

This is a camshaft
Re: Sorry, I'm also devastated by her sudden death! by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:07am On Jan 21, 2017
Hayjaycity:

This is a camshaft

Tell Trygo, he seems to have a problem with identifying car parts.

2 Likes

Re: Sorry, I'm also devastated by her sudden death! by Nobody: 7:02am On Jan 21, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

Tell Trygo, he seems to have a problem with identifying car parts.
grin grin grin grin

Re: Sorry, I'm also devastated by her sudden death! by kingreign(m): 7:24am On Jan 21, 2017
Just passing by with my aunt's RX300 99 model to go inspect one tokunbo 2003 highlander. tongue tongue
Re: Sorry, I'm also devastated by her sudden death! by TRYGO(m): 8:14am On Jan 21, 2017
@Gazzuzz and others,l. Thank you guys for the corrections. Was a typo error.
I meant to inscribe "camshaft" rather on that pix

Re: Sorry, I'm also devastated by her sudden death! by TRYGO(m): 8:22am On Jan 21, 2017
@kolnel. Yes you're right
Re: Sorry, I'm also devastated by her sudden death! by TRYGO(m): 8:23am On Jan 21, 2017
@kolnel. Yes you're right. Where you de pass de go? Come back jor.

@Gazzuzz. Maybe this might help your curiosity.

Here's the link.
Please ensure you read and understand the entire article, before commenting.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-1st-to-4th-gen-1990-2006/262014-toyota-settles-on-oil-sludge-lawsuit-es300-and-rx300.html
Re: Sorry, I'm also devastated by her sudden death! by TRYGO(m): 8:45am On Jan 21, 2017
@hayjaycity. Was an oversight. Thanks for the corrections though.
Re: Sorry, I'm also devastated by her sudden death! by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:06am On Jan 21, 2017
Toyota still says the sludge didn't result from any engine-design problem.

Toyota did not accept that there was anything wrong with their designs.

1 Like

Re: Sorry, I'm also devastated by her sudden death! by TRYGO(m): 9:13am On Jan 21, 2017
@kingreign. You funny o! Emmmm, I just rebuilt aunty's highlander '03 with the rx300 engine o! using the 1MZ-FE.
Re: Sorry, I'm also devastated by her sudden death! by TRYGO(m): 9:18am On Jan 21, 2017
@Gazzuzz. They've refused to accept that. But you know no automakers would want to accept such. That would be a terrible financial drain on their parts, considering what recalls would entail.

Did you read that part, some mechanics also blamed them for designing some of their oil galleries extremely of a minute diameter, thereby encouraging the build up of sludge?
Re: Sorry, I'm also devastated by her sudden death! by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:22am On Jan 21, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

just looking at it.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4766179_tmpcam1917719341_jpeg324daa4bd0119dd0f01643f0a8671b59

absolute nonsense. Please quote where toyota stated this?

My question has not changed.

Re: Sorry, I'm also devastated by her sudden death! by TRYGO(m): 9:29am On Jan 21, 2017
@kk na.

(1) (Reply)

Amazing Toyota Hilux Hilly Limited Edition Unveiled (photos) / Toyota Camry 2003 For Sale / What Happens If Lightning Carrying 600k To 1m Volt Of Electricity Strikes A Car?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.