Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,735 members, 7,817,026 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:26 PM

The Short and Simple Guide To 5 Types Of Online Writing Jobs For Newbies - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / The Short and Simple Guide To 5 Types Of Online Writing Jobs For Newbies (484 Views)

5 Unique Tips That Can Make You A Successful Blogger(for Newbies) / Types Of Websites | Softplace.com.ng (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Short and Simple Guide To 5 Types Of Online Writing Jobs For Newbies by Copycracker(m): 6:44pm On Jan 21, 2017
Okay, I know.

I haven't written any posts in a while. And there's about 4 more sites I have to review right now.

Truth is, I've been a bit more busy than usual recently with my day job and my personal hustle. Add to that the fact that I'm on call today so let's just say I'm trying to squeeze this into the little breaks I get.

It literally feels like 24 hours isn't enough for all I want to do sad ...

...but I can't complain.

Here's what I'm going to do though.

I'll keep writing these posts and all, but I'm rethinking doing any more site reviews.

Why?

Short Answer: 'Cos they take up a lot of my time.

So after these 4 sites I have left to review, I won't be doing any more free reviews.

If you would like me to review your site, you'll have to part with a small sum of 5k and I'll do your review.

Other than that, I won't be doing any more site reviews.

Okay, now that that's been said. Let's get back to this post...

So you've decided to start writing online. I applaud you.

Most people can't make a decision and stick with it so just in case nobody says it:

"Wehdone sir.. Wehdone Sir" (in Falz voice)

But now you have a new problem.

What kind of writing do you want to do?

So this post is to make things a bit easier for you to figure it all out.

Without further ado, let's dive in:

1. Article Writing

This is your basic run-of-the-mill article writing.

This could mean writing articles about anything- from business articles, to articles about gardening or love or whatever.

Even professional articles in the field of Law, health care, fitness, fashion, Forex, etcetera shmetcetera.

As long as there are people interested in a particular field or niche, there's always going to be a need for content.

A need that, by the way, far exceeds the ability of the market to produce quality articles.

So, if you have any knowledge in any field, you can always do a Google Search for sites within that niche.

Then take the sites, type each of them into the Google search bar, add "write for us" at the ending, and then hit enter.

You'll quickly discover opportunities for article writing that you have been missing out on for most of your life!

And don't worry, about whether you're a pro or not. If you're able to prove to the client, that you can craft the article he needs, then you have a higher chance of getting the job than even the pros.

2. Blogging

Yes, people, there is a difference between article writing and blogging.

An article can basically be written plain and straightforward... You know, like that Chemistry textbook I mentioned in my previous post on increasing blog traffic. Depending on the niche, it may or may not need to be anything special.

But you can't afford to blog like that.

Trust me.

Blog originates from what was known in the first days of the Internet as a " web log". Somewhere along the line, it got shortened to blog, but a web log is what it originally is.

A great example of a log would be in the movie "Avatar" when that paralysed dude (I forget his name) had to keep recording this videos and he'll be like " It's Day so so and so, here's what I'm learning bla bla bla".

That's what a log is. A blog is just a log that's online and in written form.

The basic gist is that a blog, in its simplest form, is a conversation between you and your audience.

Sure, if you start off and create a blog, you might not have much of an audience, but this fact still holds true. A blog is a conversation between you and your audience.

It has to be engaging.

So, if you find that your writing skills (like mine) are more conversational and centered around creating engaging content, then blogging might just be a perfect fit for you.

You could guest blog, or you could get paid to ghost blog or you could create a blog of your own and earn money from Ads on your blog or gigs that come as a result of the exposure your blog is getting.

Any whish way na Blog.

3. Ghostwriting

I know rappers always make fun of other rappers who use ghost writers, and you were probably thinking about that when you saw "Ghostwriting" as number 3 here.

Well, Ghostwriting is more than writing rap verses. Actually ghostwriting basically means one person gets the credit for writing a book or an article, that someone else (who he paid) actually did.

If you're the type of person who doesn't really like the spotlight, and you prefer to just be behind the scenes, this might work for you.

I mean, you do the work and get paid, yet still maintain your anonymity.

It has that appeal of being some kind of James Bond of writing online, you come in, do your work, and then leave without a trace.

I have actually ghostwritten a lot, let's just say I'm not really a fan though... especially when it's something I love.

I once ghost-wrote a book for a "friend" (who shall not be named) and then he parades the book as his, and I got nothing, no credit, no $$ in return.

Let's just say, that experience steered me away from ghostwriting.

If you don't mind doing all the research, creating content, delivering it and remaining out of the spotlight though, this might just be the thing for you.

I think it could be great, as long as you do get compensated properly.

P.S. This obviously can merge with other types of writing jobs.

4. Web Content Creation

As long as the internet exists, there will always be websites.

As long as there will always be websites, there will always be web pages.

As long as there will always be web pages, there will always be a need for content on those web pages.

A few months back, I was trying to find an eye clinic in Abuja. I did a Google search, and then clicked on one of the sites that ranked at the top of the Google Search engine result page... and I was pissed off.

I'm really obsessed with words so when I see shitty content, I get mad.

It was like they weren't even putting in any effort.

Terrible grammar here, punctuation error there, and boring ass descriptions that could make anyone prefer to watch paint dry than read their content.

And that's when I realized there was a need for home page content.

I placed an ad for that right here on Nairaland, and I actually did a couple jobs writing web pages. And I earned some sweet cash.

Now, I'm not even close to being "Super-Writing-Man" or anything like that. I just have a basic understanding of grammar and punctuation, plus a few big words I can use to get a point across. That's it. And I earned money doing it.

The not-so-fun part though is having to create content for pages within niches I actually have no interest in.

Apart from that, it's actually one of my favourite writing jobs to do.

5. Copywriting

I'm still in the learning phase on this one though.

Copywriting basically is "writing that sells".

It doesn't matter what it is, a product, a service, a business... whatever.

Great copywriting can sell it.

You know when you go to a web page to order an ebook or a product and you see these long pages that describe the benefits of the product and somehow convince you to buy?

That's a form of copywriting.

Or you get to a page that tells you to enter your email address in order to get some free ebook or product?

That falls under copywriting.

With this form of writing, there's a shit ton of opportunities and business to do. And money to be made

A simple Google search on " How much freelance copywriters earn?" will absolutely open your eyes forever.

So there you go, 5 types of online writing jobs you can do. Pick one or a combination of a few to better your chances of getting writing jobs.

And any more types of writing jobs online you can think about, please add them in the comments section.

Speaking of writing jobs, I recently wrote an article on how to land your first writing job on Upwork, you might want to check it out here:

http://500nairawriter..com.ng/2017/01/land-your-first-online-writing-job.html

My next review is coming soon.

Till then, Happy Hustling!

(1) (Reply)

Naija Verified Google Adsense Account With 80$ For Sale / 4 Years Non Hosted Verified Nigeria Adsense Account For Sale / Incase You Need A Blog Admin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.