Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,111 members, 7,818,317 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:29 PM

Is Nas Really Claiming Nigeria? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Is Nas Really Claiming Nigeria? (6047 Views)

Is Nas The Greatest Rapper Or What? / Nas Vs Jayz / Is Nas Truly a Nigerian? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Nas Really Claiming Nigeria? by nutyay(m): 10:26am On Jan 14, 2007
Hav u all heared d track "where y'all at" on Nas' new album Hip hop is dead? He has a line on d 3rd verse which goes -'i'm in d rolls royce, like i'm d king of Nigeria' .i want y'all 2 listen 2 d joint and tell me what y'all feel.
Re: Is Nas Really Claiming Nigeria? by candylips(m): 3:32pm On Jan 14, 2007
thats just lyrics man
Re: Is Nas Really Claiming Nigeria? by maxjax(m): 4:18am On Jan 16, 2007
yeah Nas iz frm 9ja, the nas is NASIRU cheesy grin undecided
Re: Is Nas Really Claiming Nigeria? by naijafan(m): 11:29am On Jan 18, 2007
what the heck? he could have as well said

riding in my rolls royce like i'm the king of jordan
keepin' sh*t conservative like i waz eric morgan

it's just lyrics man. yea, his dad's from nigeria . . but even in one of the songs in which he featured his dad and the dude was mentioning countries he's been to (i mean the dad) he never mentioned nigeria. and there as never been a point where nas claimed nigeria, so that line was definitely just lyrics.
Re: Is Nas Really Claiming Nigeria? by JustGood(m): 3:55pm On Jan 18, 2007
if he no be naija make he carry go
Re: Is Nas Really Claiming Nigeria? by JustGood(m): 10:01pm On Jan 20, 2007
who him be sef?
Re: Is Nas Really Claiming Nigeria? by chino110: 6:17pm On Jan 22, 2007
I'm indifferent about weda Nas na Naija or not.If hes proud to be Nigerian we will know.We have neva heard that he has come to grin cool Naija for ones,so who is he.No body shld give a hoot about him.Although,I'm not mad @ him shaa!
Re: Is Nas Really Claiming Nigeria? by roflmao: 8:07pm On Jan 22, 2007
SMH @ ya'll. Seem to me people just hell bent on associating the slightest suggestion of any respected foreigner to Nigeria. Nas AIN'T bleeping Nigerian goddamit!

Yes his name is Nasir so what? Nasir is an Islamic name and not a Nigerian name. In fact his name is Nasir bin Olu Dara Jones. Olu Dara being a name he took after his father. His father is a jazz musician who spent some time in his career performing around the world. He was given the name Olu Dara when he visited Nigeria and decided to adopt the name as his official name on his return to America. He was actually born Charles Jones III.

I mean there's the good ol' Wikipedia and Google to research things if ya'll need find out stuff, undecided
Re: Is Nas Really Claiming Nigeria? by Macgreat(m): 4:48am On Jan 23, 2007
Enogh about nas already.,.,.,., talk about 50cent
talking about "50" after he came to nigeria the next video he made with G-unit,he was wearing nigerian flag "green white green" including the whole G-unit crew.
And other guy is papoose, in the touch it video same thing "green white green"

so! what y'all think wink Naija for live grin
Re: Is Nas Really Claiming Nigeria? by desiree(f): 8:03pm On Jan 23, 2007
Nas is not originally Nigerian but we can imply that he has Nigerian roots because his father adopted the name Olu dara some years back.
People don't just take up names they can't associate with.
Re: Is Nas Really Claiming Nigeria? by jugunu(m): 1:44am On Jan 25, 2007
''Olu Dara (born Charles Jones III in Louisville, Mississippi[1] in 1941) is a trumpeter, cornetist, guitarist and singer. He first became known as a jazz musician, playing alongside avant-garde musicians such as David Murray and Henry Threadgill.

His first album under his own name, 1998's In the World: From Natchez to New York, revealed another aspect of his musical personality: the leader and singer of a band immersed in African-American tradition, playing an eclectic mix of blues, jazz, and storytelling, with tinges of funk, African popular music and reggae. His second album Neighborhoods, with guest appearances by Dr John and Cassandra Wilson, followed in a similar vein.

Rapper Nas (Nasir Jones) is Dara's son. He encouraged his father to record the music he was playing with his band, and guested on a track on "In the World". Dara played the cornet on the track "Life's A Bitch" from Nas's debut album Illmatic in 1994. In 2004, his vocals and trumpet were featured on Nas's single "Bridging the Gap", from his album Street's Disciple.

He was given the name "Olu Dara" by a Yoruba priest when he returned to America. He has traveled throughout Africa and Europe.

Mr. Dara is also an accomplished playwright and actor, staging "Blues Rooms" to strong acclaim in New York City and Fairfax, VA during the 1990's''

, nas is not nigerian, im sure he implied nothin.just metaphors.
Re: Is Nas Really Claiming Nigeria? by naijafan(m): 3:16am On Feb 23, 2007
yea, i was also wondering wat's up wit papoose in that video. any info?
Re: Is Nas Really Claiming Nigeria? by creamofluv: 6:19pm On Feb 24, 2007
hahah, you guys are really doing some mistake who said Nas is from Nigeria and who said his father is from Nigeria too?? they all beleive their ancestor was from africa they dont know for sure,
Olu Dara (born Charles Jones III in Natchez, Mississippi[1] in 1941) is a cornetist, guitarist and singer. He first became known as a jazz musician, playing alongside avant-garde musicians such as David Murray and Henry Threadgill.

He was given the name "Olu Dara" by a Yoruba priest when he returned to America. He has traveled throughout Africa and Europe.

So i want you guys to tell me where you heard Olu dara is a Nigeria, may be you guys should really do a thorough background checkings before you talk on here,

Olu Dara's Dad and Mom are not from Nigeria either,
Re: Is Nas Really Claiming Nigeria? by 9ja4eva: 8:57am On Mar 03, 2007
Read hes Nigerian.
Re: Is Nas Really Claiming Nigeria? by lilthanny(m): 7:59pm On Mar 09, 2007
actually i've heard many guys over here talkin the same thing but i didnt believe them since they dont have any prove but when i saw this thread,i become more baffled about this issue.if he's ttruely a nigerian,i think he has to let everybody know and stop pretending as if he's using nigeria to rythme or anything like that
Re: Is Nas Really Claiming Nigeria? by d1twista(m): 8:06pm On Mar 09, 2007
Hey Dude let everybody get this into his/her head, Nasir Jones was not born in Nigeria, He was born in Mississippi USA,
Re: Is Nas Really Claiming Nigeria? by ebeledi(m): 2:16am On Mar 10, 2007
nas is not nigerian of course due the history of america he has some blood in him, but to say he is nigerian is ignorant
nas born in New York
Dad born in MISSISSIPPI i know yall heard the song
come on yall stop being so ignorant, NOT everyone is nigerian
Re: Is Nas Really Claiming Nigeria? by ebeledi(m): 2:25am On Mar 10, 2007
Enogh about nas already.,.,.,., talk about 50cent
talking about "50" after he came to nigeria the next video he made with G-unit,he was wearing nigerian flag "green white green" including the whole G-unit crew.
And other guy is papoose, in the touch it video same thing "green white green"

so! what y'all think Naija for live
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

just because he wears green white green does not mean he is representing nigeria, it is simply the fact that they wanted to wear green not because of nigeria
with all respects my brother
Re: Is Nas Really Claiming Nigeria? by 9ja4eva: 8:05am On Mar 10, 2007
Abeg born in wherever he is NIGERIAN.If hes not then someone help me explain why he bears Olu Dara?
Re: Is Nas Really Claiming Nigeria? by PoDeep(m): 7:21pm On Mar 10, 2007
Maybe NaS is Nigerian but I sure do smoke weed underwater sha. tongue tongue tongue
Re: Is Nas Really Claiming Nigeria? by PoDeep(m): 7:21pm On Mar 10, 2007
Maybe NaS is Nigerian but I sure do smoke weed underwater sha. tongue tongue tongue
Re: Is Nas Really Claiming Nigeria? by 9ja4eva: 3:29am On Mar 12, 2007
?Whats dt?
Re: Is Nas Really Claiming Nigeria? by PoDeep(m): 8:04am On Mar 12, 2007
@9ja4eva
U know now. . .
Re: Is Nas Really Claiming Nigeria? by d1twista(m): 9:36pm On Mar 12, 2007
@Po-Deep

do you shocked
Re: Is Nas Really Claiming Nigeria? by PoDeep(m): 12:56am On Mar 13, 2007
Who dosen't?
Re: Is Nas Really Claiming Nigeria? by spikelord(m): 1:19am On Mar 13, 2007
Whateva!!!
Re: Is Nas Really Claiming Nigeria? by PoDeep(m): 7:34am On Mar 13, 2007
:d
Re: Is Nas Really Claiming Nigeria? by d1twista(m): 10:05pm On Mar 13, 2007
@ Po Deep

Am out of this, hahah
Re: Is Nas Really Claiming Nigeria? by 9ja4eva: 4:57am On Mar 14, 2007
Po Deep:

@9ja4eva
U know now. . .

LOL.Little do u know.
Re: Is Nas Really Claiming Nigeria? by mrmetoo(m): 7:17am On Mar 14, 2007
i know this is a lil bit off topic but the statement itself "the king of Nigeria" bothers me. What does that mean? I have much respect and love for nas but it sounds kinda ignorant to me. The first time I heard the song i was thinking wtf is that. it just seems more of the same viewing African nations in that traditional tribal setting
Re: Is Nas Really Claiming Nigeria? by tianshie(m): 12:22pm On Mar 14, 2007
mr me too:

i know this is a lil bit off topic but the statement itself "the king of Nigeria" bothers me. What does that mean? I have much respect and love for nas but it sounds kind of ignorant to me. The first time I heard the song i was thinking wtf is that. it just seems more of the same viewing African nations in that traditional tribal setting

Just plain ignorance,a shame.
Re: Is Nas Really Claiming Nigeria? by 9ja4eva: 5:04am On Mar 15, 2007
Yeah like u said its plain ignorance.

(1) (2) (Reply)

DOWNLOAD MP3: ZAYN - Vibez / Download Da Hottest Afrobeats/9JA DJ Mix Of The Summer "11:45" Mixed By DJ Hypno / Download Wizkid Master Groove Instrumental

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.