Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,134 members, 7,818,418 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:56 PM

Pastor Bakare On Tithes - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pastor Bakare On Tithes (5305 Views)

Why I Rejected Rolls Royce Gift — Pastor Bakare / Why Pastor Bakare Left Deeper Life Church: Television! / Numbers 18 Faults Oyedepo’s Teaching On Tithes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pastor Bakare On Tithes by Nobody: 3:37pm On Nov 28, 2009
It is heartwarming that for the first time a pentecostal pastor has come with the true position on tithes .Listen to pastor tunde bakare on tithes

"Melchizedek did no demabd tithe from abraham,it was what Abrahamdid willingly.My opinion is that let every man be persuaded in his own heart.If it is not honout it is robbery"

"If any body btells you if you don't pay tithe ,you will remain tight greed in his heart is influencing that because chist has become the cross for us for it is written curse on the one that hangs on a tree"

"do I pay tithe ?yes but I dont make it a law for every body
"

This has been my position all along .Am glad that for the first time some from the pentecostal denomination has come out with the truth.

1 Like

Re: Pastor Bakare On Tithes by CrazyMan(m): 7:03pm On Nov 28, 2009
I agree with you chukwudi; I myself, I pay my thite regularly but we need not be told before we know that we must give a certain percentage to God as a thanksgiving for his mercies and loving kindness towards our life.
Re: Pastor Bakare On Tithes by viaro: 12:52am On Nov 29, 2009
And this is supposed to be news? cheesy Haha. . I like Tunde Bakare's take on tithes. I just wonder that Nairaland's anti-tithers have not been as virulent to attack him, afterall most of what Bakare said are the same things which a lot of us have argued time and time again. Before joining Nairaland, my thoughts were similar to the same things he said, and I was delighted to read his views only afterwards.

Perhaps an excerpt might be worth reading here:

Q: What is the position of Christianity on tithing because some argue that it doesn’t have a place in Christianity?

A: I don’t have an opinion. I live by the book. I’ll tell you what is in the book. The first man to pay tithe was Abraham, when he met Melchizedek. And when he gave that tithe, the book of Hebrews says even Levi, who became a priest later, paid tithe while he was still in the loins of his father, Abraham. So, there was tithe before the law. There was tithe during the law. And Christ Jesus now came and said, this you ought to do, but you neglect the weightier matters of the law. This you ought to do and the other you do not neglect. If you are asking what is the agreed position in the New Testament, listen to Paul in I Corinthians Chapter 16, verse 1. At least I’m not reading from the Old Testament. I can tell you by the grace of God that at the Latter Rain Assembly, you can come and watch us, stay for about five or six weeks, you will not hear such a thing mentioned. You will know a church by the time you worship there for six or seven weeks.

We encourage our people because even the running of the place requires support of those who are worshipping there. Do you belong to any club or organisation? To join Ikoyi Club 1938, there are fees. It is the abuse that is the problem because it must come from your heart. Melchizedek did not demand tithe from Abraham. It was what Abraham did willingly. My opinion is that let every man be persuaded in his own heart. If it is not honour, then it is robbery. What the Bible says is honour the Lord with your susbstance and the first fruits of your increase so that your barns may be full. It has to be honour. It is the same word you use for your parents. The first time I gave my mother an allowance was when I was a Youth Corper. I gave her N50 out of my N200 monthly allowance because I was the only one she depended on. And from that year till today, my mother’s monthly allowance has increased, although I won’t tell you how much she gets now. She was 100 in October. I lost my father when I was two years old. So God allowed my mother to stay to see me through. Would I neglect my mother? So also will I not neglect the God who is the source of everything I have. But it has to be a matter of honour.

There are three priesthoods in the Bible. The priesthood of Midian, the Levitical priesthood and the Melchizedek priesthood.

This is what is causing the problem. The priesthood of Midian is that of Jethro, the father in-law of Moses. It deals with strategies, administration and dedication of duties. It teaches you how to delegate so that you are not overworked. It does not raise sons, it raises workers. So in such ministries where Jethro principle is what they’re following, you’ll be hearing workers, workers, workers, instead of raising sons of God.

Leviticus priesthood is mainly about offering. And remember they were in the wilderness; no supermarket, no work and they didn’t go anywhere. There was nowhere to spend all the money they took from Egypt. So, it’s offering in the morning, offering at night and offering in the evening. When you find a ministry whose major emphasis is bring, bring, give, give, its the Levitical priesthood. They are still in the wilderness.

But we have moved out of the wilderness. The priesthood of our Lord Jesus Christ Christ, according to Hebrew 6, 7 up to 8, is after the order of Melchizedek who was already a king before he met Abraham. He did not need the offering of Abraham to be king. So those who are practising Melchizedek priesthood do not depend on their congregation. They don’t wait because they are lazy for them to go and work and bring resources to them. They also labour with their own hands to have resources and when the church contributes, they probably contribute more. You can find out these things. So it depends on which priesthood is being practised.

Tithes are to be used to take care of widows, the helpless, and services in the house of God. Why should they come to you to say we want to pay NEPA bills, we want to pay church staff? People that are working in the ministry have to be paid and the organisation has to be run. But it’s never compulsory. If anybody tells you if you don’t pay tithe you will remain tight, greed in his heart is influencing that because Christ has become the cross for us. For it is written: ‘Cursed is anyone that hangs on the tree that the blessing of Abraham now come upon the Gentile’ If it is from your heart, like it was with Abraham, it will bring blessings. But if it is teleguided, it is no longer spirit-led and does not activate anything in heaven. I think what is causing it is that we embark on projects God did not give to us and put ourselves under financial pressure, which we transmit to people.

Do I pay tithe? Definitely. But I don’t make it a law for everybody. I do from my earnings because I don’t depend on church offerings. My hands, like Paul’s, provided for my necessities. I pay my tax like any other citizen of this country. I pay from my legitimate earnings. If I have to wait for them to give on Sundays before I send my children to school and eat, then something is wrong. If this church folds up, I cannot live anymore. And in a depressed economy, so many churches have opened up that are not at the instance of the Holy Spirit.
http://thenewsng.com/cover-story/why-i-quit-redeemed-church/2009/11

So, Bakare gives tithes? Yes. What is his persuasion to do so? The Melchizedek priesthood.

I like the way he delineated the priesthoods in the Bible: the Midian priesthood; Levitical priesthood; and the priesthood of Melchizedek. At the end of the day, let everyone be fully persudaded in his own mind; and the emphasis in red is what I had persistently maintained:

"I don’t make it a law for everybody"

He who has ears. . let him. . (?? - fill in the gap).
Re: Pastor Bakare On Tithes by afiq(m): 5:59am On Nov 29, 2009
Tithe, or donation shall we called it, is something that should be done from the heart. It comes in various forms, such as money or your natural talent/expertise. It's not mandatory. For those who likes to have childish or baseless debate about tithe, then they must have their own version of 'bible'. Beware of those who's using God's house for their scam projects, you know the endless building fund. Never trust a Pastor in fine suits tho cheesy
Re: Pastor Bakare On Tithes by Nobody: 3:50pm On Nov 29, 2009
So, Bakare gives tithes? Yes. What is his persuasion to do so? The Melchizedek priesthood.

I like the way he delineated the priesthoods in the Bible: the Midian priesthood; Levitical priesthood; and the priesthood of Melchizedek. At the end of the day, let everyone be fully persudaded in his own mind; and the emphasis in red is what I had persistently maintained:

He who has ears. . let him. . (??

Melchizedek did not demand tithe from Abraham. It was what Abraham did willingly

If this is what people who call themselves pastors preach ,nobody who will talking about tithes in nairaland.

Pastors most especially Mathew Ashimolowo wil threaten the life out of you to part with ur money.

Hypocrites like you try to cover up for them most probably because u re benefitting from the scam
Re: Pastor Bakare On Tithes by viaro: 4:08pm On Nov 29, 2009
chukwudi44:

If this is what people who call themselves pastors preach ,nobody who will talking about tithes in nairaland.

Maybe, maybe not. It is clear that most anti-tithers on Nairaland do not even take the time to understand what people are saying about tithes before they categorically condemn tithes in any fashion they choose.

Pastors most especially Mathew Ashimolowo wil threaten the life out of you to part with your money.

Ashimolowo does not speak on behalf of every Christian who tithes, as surely as he does not represent other pastors such as Tunde Bakare. Ashimolowo may threaten his own church; but he cannot threaten another church that understands why they tithe without any feeling of anti-tithing guilt.

Hypocrites like you try to cover up for them most probably because u re benefitting from the scam

I have not addressed you in such a manner, and I hope you're not calling for such responses from me. Nowhere have I tried to cover up for the likes of Ashimolowo - and my position even in the other thread on tithing quite tessellates with what Tunde Bakare teaches his own church on the same tithe. That was why I gave a summary to leave no one in doubt:

viaro:

I like the way he delineated the priesthoods in the Bible: the Midian priesthood; Levitical priesthood; and the priesthood of Melchizedek.
At the end of the day, let everyone be fully persudaded in his own mind; and the emphasis in red is what I had persistently maintained:

How does that become grounds for you to allege hypocrisy towards me?
Re: Pastor Bakare On Tithes by Nobody: 4:19pm On Nov 29, 2009
I was referring to ur numerous hypocritical posts in other threads.You don't have to mask ur true position on tithes it's all obvious you want this fraudulent acts to go on that's why u will prefer no one talks abnout it
Re: Pastor Bakare On Tithes by viaro: 4:23pm On Nov 29, 2009
chukwudi44:

I was referring to your numerous hypocritical posts in other threads.You don't have to mask your true position on tithes it's all obvious you want this fraudulent acts to go on that's why u will prefer no one talks abnout it

Outright lying is the reason why I call you a consummate fool. Not in one instance have I ever made any attempt to show that I "prefer no one talks about it". I have always made every effort to discuss the subject, and consistently maintained that Christians discuss it and share their views without trying to make either tithing or anti-tithing a law for the Body of Christ!

You must be a very queer twerp who is either too challenged to read or yet even try to understand what you type with your stupid two fingers knocking your borrowed keyboard.
Re: Pastor Bakare On Tithes by viaro: 4:46pm On Nov 29, 2009
@chukwudi44,

Let me give you a few examples to help you see why your acrid and illiterate duplicity are uncalled for:

chukwudi44:

I was referring to your numerous hypocritical posts in other threads.You don't have to mask your true position on tithes it's all obvious you want this fraudulent acts to go on that's why u will prefer no one talks abnout it

My reply just above was -

viaro:

Outright lying is the reason why I call you a consummate fool. Not in one instance have I ever made any attempt to show that I "prefer no one talks about it". I have always made every effort to discuss the subject, and consistently maintained that Christians discuss it and share their views without trying to make either tithing or anti-tithing a law for the Body of Christ!

In case you have such short memory, here are examples harvested from the other thread to show that I have always encouraged a good discussion and discouraged making any argument a law for the Body of Christ:

(1) link: [url=https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-307798.608.html#msg4836344[/color]]https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-307798.608.html#msg4836344[/url]

viaro:

There's really no need for us as Christians to keep shouting at one another - it produces absolutely nothing for the health of our collective faith in Christ; and I'd have to remind us again that no singular argument (whether anti-tithing or pro-tithing) is law for the Body of Christ. As such, we could do better to discuss. Where disagreements arise from a lack of convictions, each one of us ought to take heed to the apostolic admonition given in Phil. 3:15 - "if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal that also to you".

see:

"I'd have to remind us again that no singular argument
        (whether anti-tithing or pro-tithing)
        is law for the Body of Christ"

"As such, we could do better to discuss."

(2) link: [url=https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-307798.544.html#msg4815649[/color]]https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-307798.544.html#msg4815649[/url]

viaro:
You may notice that I'm not on NL to split hairs with anyone. I've stated my position too many times that the divide is quite unnecessary; and no argument one way or the other is so water-tight that it becomes law for the Body of Christ.

see:

"the divide is quite unnecessary"

"no argument one way or the other is so water-tight
          that it becomes law for the Body of Christ"

(3) link: [url=https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=307798.msg4810903#msg4810903[/color]]https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=307798.msg4810903#msg4810903[/url]

viaro:
Second, my discussions have never been based on making anything "binding" on anyone. People who promote an anti-tithing argument on the basis of whether it is 'binding' or not are simply wasting their time. Nobody made it "binding" upon Abraham in the first place; so why do people often resort to this mistake every time in discussing the topic?

"my discussions have never been based on
            making anything "binding" on anyone"

Are these not sufficient to show that your allegations are false? Why do you often force yourself to make such mendaciously stupid accusations to confuse yourself about my position, only to be shown up for the complete illiterate you actually are?

Is there any need to remind you again: either you discuss or ignore my comments. Making false accusations and casting aspersions against me will not work for you - and I will not spare you at any time you draw my daggers. Buffoon.
Re: Pastor Bakare On Tithes by ogajim(m): 9:22pm On Nov 30, 2009
Any form of giving that is based on a percentage is not Biblical as far as I am concerned and I do believe in giving like Jesus Christ himself warned us not to "let our right hand know what our left hand is doing", no one needs to know how much and to who I give, that is between me and my God. Those who feel a need to do that can continue and I can't hate on them for their own decision to do what they feel is right.
Re: Pastor Bakare On Tithes by KunleOshob(m): 8:49am On Dec 01, 2009
The fact still remains that any pastor who preaches compulsary tithing is either a fraud or completely deliberately ignorant, either way he is not qualified to be a pastor.
Re: Pastor Bakare On Tithes by otitokoro1: 12:47pm On Dec 02, 2009
There is something about Holy SPirit. It possess people and when he left them thay might not know. King Saul was once with god until,

Samson hardly knew that God spirit is no longer present in him when he said I will go ,

Re: Pastor Bakare On Tithes by KunleOshob(m): 12:57pm On Dec 02, 2009
otitokoro1:

There is something about Holy SPirit. It possess people and when he left them thay might not know. King Saul was once with god until,

Samson hardly knew that God spirit is no longer present in him when he said I will go ,
Are talking about your G.O in the above statement? It seems as if God is no longer present with him as he as chosen to follow the path of men. Also he needs to pray for forgiveness as he is guilty of deceiving several christians into paying a compulsary tithe that God never asked of christians in the first instance. He is also popularly called daddy contrary to the teachings of christ in matthew 23:9 which says :
Matthew 23:9:
9And do not call anyone [in the church] on earth father, for you have one Father, Who is in heaven.
Amplified Bible (AMP)
Re: Pastor Bakare On Tithes by ogajim(m): 1:05pm On Dec 02, 2009
It is wrong and un-Biblical to follow a man (no matter how highly placed) and take everything he says or preaches without cross checking the "facts" in the Bible, in the lives of Jesus Christ and his Disciples. Jesus Christ himself warned us that even some of those that have performed miracles in his name won't make it to Heaven and would be denied when it counts most, a Christian can't afford to "follow follow".

That's my 2 cents (and it's free) cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Pastor Bakare On Tithes by EdetOkon: 4:53pm On Dec 02, 2009
The only thing some churches stress most in the New Testamen(Torah) is tithing. Na wa 4 una oo. The tithe Israel paid was agricultural.

Pastor Bakare seems to know alot about priesthood. Are there priests in pentecostalism.No.

Many Christians have left their Jewish roots, they follow what their pastors say instead of the Torah, Jewish tradition and the New Testament.
Ahava Yeshua.
Re: Pastor Bakare On Tithes by zukkie4eva(f): 5:21pm On Dec 02, 2009
But the bible says - "bring in all your tithes into my house that there might be food . . .(Malachi 3:10). This is GOD talking.
Re: Pastor Bakare On Tithes by viaro: 8:54pm On Dec 02, 2009
Edet Okon:

Many Christians have left their Jewish roots, they follow what their pastors say instead of the Torah, Jewish tradition and the New Testament.

You're shooting yourself in the leg. Christians were not called to be Jews or to come under Judaism, or even practise Jewish traditions. By mentioning the 'New Testament', it should be clear to you that Christians were not brought under Judaism - and 'Jews' who are asking Christians to go back to Jewish traditions do not even practise the Judaism of the [b]O[/b]ld [b]T[/b]estament either. Your comments and arguments are often misplaced and conflating.
Re: Pastor Bakare On Tithes by KunleOshob(m): 9:01pm On Dec 02, 2009
zukkie4eva:

But the bible says - "bring in all your tithes into my house that there might be food . . .(Malachi 3:10). This is GOD talking.
So how did food become money that is apart from the fact that Malachi 3:10 was addressed to jewish people under the levitical priesthood and NOT christians under the priesthood of christ.
Re: Pastor Bakare On Tithes by Nobody: 4:11pm On Dec 03, 2009
@viaro

You are lucky I have just promised God that I would not use any foul word on anyone again in this site,other you would have gotten it very hot from me.

You have been the one attacking every one on this site who tries to expose these criminals who claim to be men God,some of their victims are not even sure of feeding the next day ,yet they will come and give money to one crook in suit who will claim he is representing God.Your wish is that people should not talk about it so that their ignorant victims will remain uniformed.That's the game you ve been playing all these while pretending to preach voluntary tithing.

This scam has led to the proliferation of churches with no significant increase in the overall christian population as most of the new churches are just business organisations out to make profit for their investors and as such are not interested in the salvation of souls but only restricted to those rich countries where they will quickly get a return on their investment even if that country is alrteady 100 % christian.

This scammers will leave the poor idol worshippers in their various villages and move over to "evangelise" those rich countries like united states,britain and other european countries .There are not beven interested in evangelising non-christian countries in the asian countries some of whom have never heard of Jesus
Re: Pastor Bakare On Tithes by ogajim(m): 6:13pm On Dec 03, 2009
Education is the key to stopping this scam, I still fellowship in one of those "Churches" on a regular bases but I won't buy into what is not Biblical and they can look at me all they want. I am still waiting for them to approach me with it but as a friend told me recently, "they're probably too scared to come at you". Me I won't "follow follow" and it is our duty to educate others too about this scam.

God help us all. cool cool cool cool
Re: Pastor Bakare On Tithes by viaro: 6:28pm On Dec 03, 2009
@chukwudi44,

chukwudi44:

@viaro

You are lucky I have just promised God that I would not use any foul word on anyone again in this site,other you would have gotten it very hot from me.

Pity that your pretentious 'promise' arrived at His doorstep too late - after all you can do, it is this whimpering that serves as plaster for your excuses. >hiss<

You have been the one attacking every one on this site who tries to expose these criminals who claim to be men God,some of their victims are not even sure of feeding the next day ,yet they will come and give money to one crook in suit who will claim he is representing God.

You're not doing too badly as a liar, for that's all you are. There is not one instance where I have supported any scams by anybody. The difference here is that viaro seeks a healthy debate with no-nonsense from twerps like you who go about 'confirming' stupid lies from folks at anselm.com!

Your wish is that people should not talk about it so that their ignorant victims will remain uniformed.That's the game you ve been playing all these while pretending to preach voluntary tithing.

This is another one of your gutless duplicity - which I have well addressed in posts #7 and #8. Can't you exercise a little shamefacedness and cease from spewing these comic lies? Or, do you want me to produce further evidence in my past posts where I have encouraged good discussions and tried to maintain that no single argument (pro-tithing  or anti-tithing) should become law for the Body of Christ? What is killing and burying you all at once is the fact that you found a respected pastor (Tunde Bakare) saying the very same things I have known and shared all along since my coming to Nairaland. What do I care if you can't find a way of controverting that plain fact?

This scam has led to the proliferation of churches with no significant increase in the overall christian population as most of the new churches are just business organisations out to make profit for their investors and as such are not interested in the salvation of souls but only restricted to those rich countries where they will quickly get a return on their investment even if that country is alrteady 100 % christian.

And what exactly does that have to do with what I posted from Tunde Bakare's comments in consonance with my views on tithing?

This scammers will leave the poor idol worshippers in their various villages and move over to "evangelise" those rich countries like united states,britain and other european countries .There are not beven interested in evangelising non-christian countries in the asian countries some of whom have never heard of Jesus

And again: what has that got to do with what I posted from Bakare?
Re: Pastor Bakare On Tithes by mavenbox: 2:32am On Dec 05, 2009
@Viaro: Hey been looking for you to tell you that it's all okay, and Im sorry for flaring up that day. Friends again?

@Topic: No comment.
Re: Pastor Bakare On Tithes by viaro: 11:55am On Dec 05, 2009
mavenbox:

@Viaro: Hey been looking for you to tell you that it's all okay, and Im sorry for flaring up that day.

No worries, mavenbox. My apologies for over-reacting that day.

Friends again?

No way! I will be your pan-enemy till resurrection day! angry
Re: Pastor Bakare On Tithes by viaro: 11:55am On Dec 05, 2009
viaro:

No way! I will be your pan-enemy till resurrection day! angry

^^^ hehe. . . of course, you should know that I was pulling your legs. grin
Hugs, mavenbox - how wonderful to be reconciled.
Re: Pastor Bakare On Tithes by kolaxy(m): 10:17pm On Dec 05, 2009
viaro:

^^^ hehe. . . of course, you should know that I was pulling your legs. grin
Hugs, mavenbox - how wonderful to be reconciled.

Good wink

(1) (Reply)

People Argue that Moses Saw God. How True Is This? / The Bible And The Human Race. / God Is Literally A Stupid Designer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.