Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,821 members, 7,813,704 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:45 PM

open engine when hot (good or bad) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / open engine when hot (good or bad) (1364 Views)

Honda Accord 09 Is Hard To Start When Hot / How To Examine The Engine When Buying A Used Vehicle / Toyota Camry 2001 Model Jerking Of Engine When Changing Gear To Drive N Reverse (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

open engine when hot (good or bad) by ayenny02(m): 3:43pm On Jan 22, 2017
Please I need clarification on this two questions below

1. My mechanic said too much of open the cylinder or bottom of the engine will cause the engine to smoke

2. And to open the cylinder or bottom of the engine when its hot will cause the engine to smoke too

Pls house I need clarification on how true are those assumptions. Thanks
Re: open engine when hot (good or bad) by diportivo: 7:55pm On Jan 22, 2017
Bros

Why una dey wan open cylinder up and down for in the first place?
Re: open engine when hot (good or bad) by kingreign(m): 8:08pm On Jan 22, 2017
ayenny02:
Please I need clarification on this two questions below

1. My mechanic said too much of open the cylinder or bottom of the engine will cause the engine to smoke

2. And to open the cylinder or bottom of the engine when its hot will cause the engine to smoke too

Pls house I need clarification on how true are those assumptions. Thanks
Its risky to his health cos it could cause burns, besides, heat cooling of metals causes contraction which if not checked could cause microscopic hairline cracks which may lead to structural failure of the engine.

1 Like

Re: open engine when hot (good or bad) by ayenny02(m): 5:05am On Jan 23, 2017
diportivo:
Bros

Why una dey wan open cylinder up and down for in the first place?

The timing chain was noisy and we changed it, later it noisy again the mechanic said the oil pump is faulty and we changed it but the oil pump was not working, we need to change the oil pump for the second time and I told him to open it and do it quickly and he said the engine must cool before he can open it. That's what cause my question.
Re: open engine when hot (good or bad) by ZIMDRILL(m): 5:33am On Jan 23, 2017
ayenny02:

The timing chain was noisy and we changed it, later it noisy again the mechanic said the oil pump is faulty and we changed it but the oil pump was not working, we need to change the oil pump for the second time and I told him to open it and do it quickly and he said the engine must cool before he can open it. That's what cause my question.

Its only health and safety, he will burn him/her if he strips the engine while hot, yes it has to cool down, its not a job that you pull up and say do it now

1 Like

Re: open engine when hot (good or bad) by ayenny02(m): 6:08am On Jan 23, 2017
ZIMDRILL:

Its only health and safety, he will burn him/her if he strips the engine while hot, yes it has to cool down, its not a job that you pull up and say do it now
OK, thks
Re: open engine when hot (good or bad) by ironheart(m): 7:28pm On Jan 23, 2017
ayenny02:

if you open a hot engine, the two separate parts may cool at different rate causing Wapping of both surfaces.
Re: open engine when hot (good or bad) by ZIMDRILL(m): 9:46pm On Jan 23, 2017
ironheart:
if you open a hot engine, the two separate parts may cool at different rate causing Wapping of both surfaces.

no normal person would able to work on engine which is still hot so forget about wapping
Re: open engine when hot (good or bad) by ironheart(m): 11:13pm On Jan 23, 2017
ZIMDRILL:

no normal person would able to work on engine which is still hot so forget about wapping
they can loosen the bolts and thats where your wahala starts. It doesnt mean they start working on it

(1) (Reply)

This Car Has Been Stolen From Where It Was Parked / This 6-wheel Drive Wheelchair Can Travel Through Water And Muds Without Stalling / GMC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.