Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,779 members, 7,831,508 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 07:56 PM

Honda Accord 09 Is Hard To Start When Hot - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Honda Accord 09 Is Hard To Start When Hot (3986 Views)

Is Lexus ES 330 Truly Hard To Maintain? / My Car Is Hard To Start When Warm / Reasons Why Steering Wheel Always Hard To Turn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Honda Accord 09 Is Hard To Start When Hot by aca77: 11:51pm On Apr 11, 2020
Experienced brothers what could be the cause? The car starts normally when engine is cool, but when you drive around for some time and then put off the engine, if you try to start it back almost immediately it drags slowly and refuses to start one hand.

Also, the acceleration is poor when trying to ascend a hilly road. Sounds like it's struggling (like exhaust leakage kinda sound), but it's not the exhaust.

I'll appreciate any expert advice on this before I take it to the mechanic, to avoid rip-off.
Re: Honda Accord 09 Is Hard To Start When Hot by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:08am On Apr 12, 2020
aca77:
Experienced brothers what could be the cause? The car starts normally when engine is cool, but when you drive around for some time and then put off the engine, if you try to start it back almost immediately it drags slowly and refuses to start one hand .

Also, the acceleration is poor when trying to ascend a hilly road. Sounds like it's struggling (like exhaust leakage kinda sound), but it's not the exhaust.

I'll appreciate any expert advice on this before I take it to the mechanic, to avoid rip-off.

clearer definition
Re: Honda Accord 09 Is Hard To Start When Hot by Nobody: 12:35am On Apr 12, 2020
Change your windshield wipers.
Re: Honda Accord 09 Is Hard To Start When Hot by aca77: 1:13am On Apr 12, 2020
GAZZUZZ:

clearer definition

When you try to start the car (when hot), it stalls, quietens, then stalls again and then may refuse to start until you wait for several minutes and try again. Don't know how else to describe it. This only happens when hot.
Re: Honda Accord 09 Is Hard To Start When Hot by aca77: 1:14am On Apr 12, 2020
CoronaVirusRelo:
Change your windshield wipers.

Seriously?
Re: Honda Accord 09 Is Hard To Start When Hot by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:39am On Apr 12, 2020
aca77:

When you try to start the car (when hot), it stalls, quietens, then stalls again and then may refuse to start until you wait for several minutes and try again. Don't know how else to describe it. This only happens when hot.

Starter motor most likely. (Kick starter)

1 Like

Re: Honda Accord 09 Is Hard To Start When Hot by yungboss(m): 6:53am On Apr 12, 2020
aca77:

Likely fuel pump? Check that too.

2 Likes

Re: Honda Accord 09 Is Hard To Start When Hot by Mrford(m): 8:36am On Apr 12, 2020
aca77:
Experienced brothers what could be the cause? The car starts normally when engine is cool, but when you drive around for some time and then put off the engine, if you try to start it back almost immediately it drags slowly and refuses to start one hand.

When this happen does the battery cable get really hot?
Re: Honda Accord 09 Is Hard To Start When Hot by Nobody: 8:46am On Apr 12, 2020
yungboss:

It's not likely fuel pump.....ITS DEFINITELY FUEL PUMP, e go soon park u for road finally if u fail to change it asap. From personal experience.

2 Likes

Re: Honda Accord 09 Is Hard To Start When Hot by aca77: 9:27am On Apr 12, 2020
princeeze1:

It's not likely fuel pump.....ITS DEFINITELY FUEL PUMP, e go soon park u for road finally if u fail to change it asap. From personal experience.

Bros, which other symptoms did yours give? And also, how much does it cost to change the fuel pump?
Re: Honda Accord 09 Is Hard To Start When Hot by aca77: 9:29am On Apr 12, 2020
Mrford:

When this happen does the battery cable get really hot?

I've not checked the battery cables yet when this happens. I'll check when next it happens.
Re: Honda Accord 09 Is Hard To Start When Hot by aca77: 9:30am On Apr 12, 2020
yungboss:

Thanks bro. Do you know which other signs a bad fuel pump will give? And the cost of replacing it also.
Re: Honda Accord 09 Is Hard To Start When Hot by aca77: 9:31am On Apr 12, 2020
GAZZUZZ:

Starter motor most likely. (Kick starter)

Someone said if it is kick starter, it would be giving that ki ki ki sound (rather than the slow drag) when trying to start. Don't know how true.
Re: Honda Accord 09 Is Hard To Start When Hot by yungboss(m): 9:49am On Apr 12, 2020
aca77:

Thanks bro. Do you know which other signs a bad fuel pump will give? And the cost of replacing it also.
Like Princeeze1 stated, it will only get worse if you don't replace it.
Re: Honda Accord 09 Is Hard To Start When Hot by aca77: 9:59am On Apr 12, 2020
yungboss:

Like what Princeeze1 stated, it will only get worse if you don't replace it.

Any idea how much it costs for Honda Accord 08/09?
Re: Honda Accord 09 Is Hard To Start When Hot by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:10am On Apr 12, 2020
aca77:

Someone said if it is kick starter, it would be giving that ki ki ki sound (rather than the slow drag) when trying to start. Don't know how true.

would you rather tinker with the fuel pump? wink
Re: Honda Accord 09 Is Hard To Start When Hot by aca77: 12:21pm On Apr 12, 2020
GAZZUZZ:

would you rather tinker with the fuel pump? wink

Boss I'm a novice o, lol. I'm just leaning on your knowledge. I could have the kick and fuel pump checked out. Bear in mind the starting issue only happens when engine is hot. But starts normally when cool.

The car is outside Lagos. Cna you advise the price range for kick and fuel pump for O9 Evil Spirit? Thanks boss.

Happy Easter everyone.
Re: Honda Accord 09 Is Hard To Start When Hot by kellystech(m): 12:23pm On Apr 12, 2020
I know I had similar experience with my 07 accord, it was fixed after changing the whole fuel assembly
Re: Honda Accord 09 Is Hard To Start When Hot by Mrford(m): 12:37pm On Apr 12, 2020
aca77:

I've not checked the battery cables yet when this happens. I'll check when next it happens.

Alright.
Re: Honda Accord 09 Is Hard To Start When Hot by Mrford(m): 12:49pm On Apr 12, 2020
aca77:

Boss I'm a novice o, lol. I'm just leaning on your knowledge. I could have the kick and fuel pump checked out. Bear in mind the starting issue only happens when engine is hot. But starts normally when cool.

The car is outside Lagos. Cna you advise the price range for kick and fuel pump for O9 Evil Spirit? Thanks boss.

Happy Easter everyone.

The question is does it crank/crank well? Nothing concern fuel pump if it doesn't. From your first discription all I deduced is that it does not crank. So it's either your battery cable or your kick starter as Gaz said
Re: Honda Accord 09 Is Hard To Start When Hot by nawa4discorn3: 1:35pm On Apr 12, 2020
aca77:

Its most likely your kick starter. I have had similar experience regarding the cold start a couple of years back on my honda baby boy. The car dealt with me then ehn. There were times it refused to start at various awkward locations during my evening waka waka grin. What I did then was to remove any valuable item and abandon it there till it cools down. Most times the next morning once I put key,one hand it will start. This continued until i changed the kick starter.
Re: Honda Accord 09 Is Hard To Start When Hot by xtremely9ja: 3:57pm On Apr 12, 2020
aca77:

Nothing is wrong with your engine, it is most likely your battery. Forget that your battery indicator might be showing that it is still OK, most of the batteries we have in the market now will not last more than 18 months. If your battery is older or around 18 months old your might want to drive to your battery dealer to check your battery health and if it is around 75% or lower, then it is time to change it. The dealer might also help you to see if there is electricity leakage which might weaken your battery. It is also good to make sure when replacing your battery that you stick with the recommended Amperes rating which is in your case 75 Amp for Honda Accord 8th Gen AKA 08 Accord.
Good luck �

1 Like

Re: Honda Accord 09 Is Hard To Start When Hot by aca77: 4:11pm On Apr 12, 2020
kellystech:
I know I had similar experience with my 07 accord, it was fixed after changing the whole fuel assembly
The fuel assembly consists of what components precisely, and how much did the fix cost you?
Re: Honda Accord 09 Is Hard To Start When Hot by aca77: 4:14pm On Apr 12, 2020
nawa4discorn3:
Its most likely your kick starter. I have had similar experience regarding the cold start a couple of years back on my honda baby boy. The car dealt with me then ehn. There were times it refused to start at various awkward locations during my evening waka waka grin. What I did then was to remove any valuable item and abandon it there till it cools down. Most times the next morning once I put key,one hand it will start. This continued until i changed the kick starter.
Thanks. In addition to the difficulty in starting when hot, was your acceleration also poor with a dragging engine sound like leaking exhaust?
Re: Honda Accord 09 Is Hard To Start When Hot by sultaan(m): 4:25pm On Apr 12, 2020
unfortunately no one recommended scanning to check the engine temp.
try either of the method in these youtube video and see if it helps with your problem.
first has to do with coolant temp sensor, and second with the fuel pump relay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaz8Aw8dEoA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2RLQQy4XTQ
Re: Honda Accord 09 Is Hard To Start When Hot by alphaNomega: 4:28pm On Apr 12, 2020
Replace your fffuckinng Kickstarter
Re: Honda Accord 09 Is Hard To Start When Hot by sultaan(m): 4:43pm On Apr 12, 2020
alphaNomega:
Replace your fffuckinng Kickstarter

Note that it always start when cold only turns when hot which looks more like a fuel pump relay problem.

You always start you diagnosis and fix with the cheapest and most likely culprit.Don't just throw parts at it
Re: Honda Accord 09 Is Hard To Start When Hot by alphaNomega: 4:52pm On Apr 12, 2020
sultaan:

Note that it always start when cold only turns when hot which looks more like a fuel pump relay problem.

You always start you diagnosis and fix with the cheapest and most likely culprit.Don't just throw parts at it

Okay. He should start with the fuel pump and replace his fuel filter too
Re: Honda Accord 09 Is Hard To Start When Hot by sultaan(m): 4:56pm On Apr 12, 2020
alphaNomega:

Okay. He should start with the fuel pump and replace his fuel filter too

Watch video , it is a fuel pump relay which is like a fuse, some of the solder jiont in the relay craked and when it is hot the lose contact all the video showed is the joints being soldered with a soldering iron.
Re: Honda Accord 09 Is Hard To Start When Hot by lewis512(m): 5:43pm On Apr 12, 2020
aca77:

Check your Fuel Pump and gauge your radiator

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Volkswagen Sharan A Reliable Car / Super Weekend Deal: Honda Accord Evil Spirit / Honda Accord 2005 Model V6 Vs Mercedes Benz C240 2003 Model

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.