Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,004 members, 7,814,424 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:41 PM

It Is Over Between Me And Kazeems. My Near Death Experience With Photos - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / It Is Over Between Me And Kazeems. My Near Death Experience With Photos (1689 Views)

Drama @ Kazeems / The Danger Of Following Nigerian Mechanics Or 'kazeems' Blindly. / A Very Serious Warning To All Naija 'kazeems'. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

It Is Over Between Me And Kazeems. My Near Death Experience With Photos by Ayloaded04: 7:35pm On Jan 22, 2017
I set out on Friday the 20th of January from Lekki to Iyana Ipaja to pay my peeps a visit. By the time I exited the 3rd mainland bridge, I was hearing a rumbling sound from the passenger side of my rear wheel. I parked and gave it a physical inspection. Nothing looked out of place. I continued my journey but at a much slower pace.

On getting close to my destination, the noise had become deafening and annoying. When I got to my destination, I told a friend about the problem and he immediately recommended an excellent kazeem (real name is fatai). Our kazeem joined us in a matter of minutes, did his diagnosis and said the bearings in the hubs of both rear wheels were bad.

He gave me the cost estimate, I paid and the repair took about 3 hours. When he was done, we took the car for a test drive and it was flawless. "This kazeem is wonderful", I told myself.

I set out on my journey back to the island with a settled mind. I maintained an average speed o 80-100 all the way. On getting past osborne estate, I heard a cranking sound for a second and it stopped. There was a traffic light ahead, so I applied my brakes to slow down.

Alas, no response from my vehicle. Brakes were out! I took my foot off the accelerator, turned on my hazard light and kept my hand on my horn. Fortunately for me, light turned green before I got too close. When the car had slowed down to a reasonable speed, I gradually pulled my handbrake and it stopped at a point.

A passerby directed me to a kazeem on rumen street. I slowly guided my car to his shed. On getting there, my brake oil was flowing freely. He took out the tire and I got a shocker of my life. The chamber housing the brake pads and other components weren't tightened (caliper, he called it). My brake pads had fallen off, piston too which was why the oil leaked.

Got new caliber, pads, brake oil and the second kazeem fixed it. I called the first kazeem and all he could give was unnecessary apology. Car got home safely and seems fine. However from my recent experience, I'm not trusting any kazeem anymore.

I would appreciate a recommendation of a certified automechanic in the lekki/Ajah axis.

Tnx for reading my epistle

NB: First picture is of the first kazeem while others are of my saviour kazeem

1 Like 1 Share

Re: It Is Over Between Me And Kazeems. My Near Death Experience With Photos by Nobody: 7:36pm On Jan 22, 2017
Correct place for a testimony....

Is a church

3 Likes

Re: It Is Over Between Me And Kazeems. My Near Death Experience With Photos by Ayloaded04: 7:40pm On Jan 22, 2017
cummando:
Correct place for a testimony....

Is a church

It's not a testimony. It's a warning against the dangers of kazeems

1 Like

Re: It Is Over Between Me And Kazeems. My Near Death Experience With Photos by sultaan(m): 7:48pm On Jan 22, 2017
Looking at the set of tools they have to work with it is a very unfortunate situation.

Think of it like this, the guy working on your brake pads has a $20 tool set.

The engine is the life of your car and the brakes is your life will you bet $20 on your life; yet that is what you have to do

2 Likes

Re: It Is Over Between Me And Kazeems. My Near Death Experience With Photos by shortgun(m): 8:14pm On Jan 22, 2017
You can't do without them sire.
Recently I lost a gearbox to a careless kazeem.
He removed the gearbox but didn't fix it back properly..... I have to get a new one. All I got was sorry sir, if you say make I pay, I go sell myself.

Since that day, I've sworn to always inspect what they are doing in my car.

3 Likes

Re: It Is Over Between Me And Kazeems. My Near Death Experience With Photos by ndcide(m): 8:19pm On Jan 22, 2017
Ayloaded04:

Dangers of Kazeems. Where did such name came from. I don't think we should destroy the name. Also, you wouldn't have fixed your vehicle on your own at the first point.

You were only unlucky to have met a poorly skilled technician.

2 Likes

Re: It Is Over Between Me And Kazeems. My Near Death Experience With Photos by kingreign(m): 8:21pm On Jan 22, 2017
ndcide:

Dangers of Kazeems. Where did such name came from. I don't think we should destroy the name. Also, you wouldn't have fixed your vehicle on your own at the first point.

Correct, you're a wise man bro!

1 Like

Re: It Is Over Between Me And Kazeems. My Near Death Experience With Photos by Nobody: 8:25pm On Jan 22, 2017
sultaan:
Looking at the set of tools they have to work with it is a very unfortunate situation.

Think of it like this, the guy working on your brake pads has a $20 tool set.

The engine is the life of your car and the brakes is your life will you bet $20 on your life; yet that is what you have to do

Hmm, I never knew u need $20,000 tools to work on brakes lol. Kazeem, we all hate them but we can't live without them. It's a fact.

4 Likes

Re: It Is Over Between Me And Kazeems. My Near Death Experience With Photos by Nobody: 8:28pm On Jan 22, 2017
Ayloaded04:

Ok noted
Re: It Is Over Between Me And Kazeems. My Near Death Experience With Photos by shortgun(m): 8:34pm On Jan 22, 2017
ndcide:

There is nothing wrong in anyone fixing their cars if d person has d knowledge. You will even do a better job......just know wot u r doing

2 Likes

Re: It Is Over Between Me And Kazeems. My Near Death Experience With Photos by ojun50(m): 8:37pm On Jan 22, 2017
Lagos mechanic i raise my yash for them
Re: It Is Over Between Me And Kazeems. My Near Death Experience With Photos by Nobody: 8:40pm On Jan 22, 2017
@OP...so what did u testdrivewafter d first repair... Next time, whenever a work is carried out on your tires, your brake is the first to test for.. And also d bolts holding the tires to the hub, make sure they are tightened back with the right torque... Kazeems have killed many in this regards.. Congrats for surviving d trafic light

1 Like

Re: It Is Over Between Me And Kazeems. My Near Death Experience With Photos by oblo(m): 10:20pm On Jan 22, 2017
I had learnt long time ago to always watch and observe when my kazeem was doing repairs like brake pad changes, oil changes and other maintenance fixes on my ride. Since I am handy with a spanner I do.such repairs myself now and I check.and double.check after I am done. Whatever I cant do I let a competent kazeem handle.under my eagle eyes. I no wan hear say oil soak egusi. undecided

I got wise when my kazeem changed my pads once and forgot to tighten the wheels properly. I was lucky and even more lucky was the bystander who saw my back tyre speed past him and the brake disk follow shortly. ( a tyre off a car at even a speed as low as 20 klm per hour is more like a misile.that can maim or kill. ) it was a 98 nissan pathfinder. angry angry I will always remember that day....
Re: It Is Over Between Me And Kazeems. My Near Death Experience With Photos by MPVGoddess: 10:31pm On Jan 22, 2017
i have seen a 4 wheel drive stop by the road. The owner/driver faced with the arduous task of finding a tire that had separated from the vehicle and found its way into the thick forest along lokoja okene highway, I don't know if he did.

I didn't wait to find out...

I guess this might have caused it...shoddy repair

2 Likes

Re: It Is Over Between Me And Kazeems. My Near Death Experience With Photos by dokyOloye: 9:45am On Jan 23, 2017
As a habit,anytime something is being done on d 'legs' of my car,I usually insist that I hover around and watch.
Have had problems wt some,esp d so called professional automobile technicians but I politely insist.
If it's d engine or any other part,at most I'll have a knocked engine but for some1 like me whose average speed on good/free roads is 140km/h,I can't take chances.
Have seen a lot in my 22yrs behind d wheels,a female colleague of mine was driving on d highway few years ago,one of her front tires jejely overtook her.lol
Last time one young hausa boy was working on d leg of my car,I was like, make sure U tight everything well oo,I like to speed,and he was like "Oga,no worry,it's God that saves lives".
I kukuma collected d spanner from him,since I'm handy wt spanners.Cos I remembered how recklessly they ride their okadas wt d same belief that if God doesn't will it,nothing bad will happen,yet they are always ending up on d stretchers in my department.
Re: It Is Over Between Me And Kazeems. My Near Death Experience With Photos by aieromon(m): 2:21pm On Jan 23, 2017
You will still make use of Kazeems,just make sure to observe them at work.

Except you want to hire a "certified" automechanic to follow you everywhere you go.
Re: It Is Over Between Me And Kazeems. My Near Death Experience With Photos by shotuns: 3:18pm On Jan 23, 2017
And looking at your old brake pads, I noticed those pads are already out of warranty, if so you might have seen the light indication on your dash board. I experienced this too from Shagamu to Abeokuta, I got a check gauge warning light and I only thought may be water level in the radiator until I started hearing a deafening cranking noise on the left front wheel. I stumbled on a bump applied my brake but no response, I thank God it was at the time I had to slow down before the traffic light at the entrance to Ogun State secretariat, then pulled over, took out the tire myself and behold the brake pad is gone, already eating into the brake drum. Story cut short , lucky to have a mechanic guy around NNPC at KUTO. bought another pad. Later bought new brake drums ,change all four at the same time
Moral of the lesson is, regular checks is very important,let all you sense organ be active while driving and don't over speed.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How Much Do You Think I Can Get This Ride. / I Urgently Need A Low Budget Car Sharply / 2003 BMW 3 Series Or 2003 Benz C-class? Help My Friend Decide Please

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.