Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,406 members, 7,819,439 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:21 PM

Lagos Living: Solving Nigeria's Megacity Housing Crisis - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Lagos Living: Solving Nigeria's Megacity Housing Crisis (10654 Views)

Victoria Island Lago De Curamo Lagos Megacity Region / Africans Revive Ancient Egyptian Construction Methods To Solve Housing Crisis / Prices Of Apartments Of The Lagos State Housing Mortgage Scheme (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Living: Solving Nigeria's Megacity Housing Crisis by ritababe(f): 7:20am On Jan 23, 2017

Nigeria's largest city Lagos is facing a housing crisis. The BBC's Nancy Kacungira looks at how entrepreneurs are trying to solve the crisis.

Affordable housing is a considerable challenge for urban areas with large populations, and this is particularly prevalent in the Nigeria's city of Lagos.
More than 500,000 people move to the city every year, and there is already a housing deficit of more than 17 million units.

There are on-going projects of varying scale trying to address the shortage; one is reclaiming land from the Atlantic Ocean to build a new city suburb called Eko Atlantic on the shores of Victoria Island.
Tonnes of sand and heavy rock were poured into the ocean to provide 10 sq km (3.8 sq miles) of land for shops, offices and homes.
Protected by an 8km long sea wall, the city will have its own power and water supply, and even an independent road network.
Eko Atlantic will be able to accommodate more than 500,000 people, but the multibillion dollar project has been perceived as being "only for the rich".

Ronald Chagoury Jr, one of the developers, says it is a perception they have been trying to shake off.
"From the beginning we always thought that this would be a city for the middle income.
"We know that the middle income has grown significantly in the past 15 years and we know that it is going to grow even more."

'Living with granny'

Still, some residents of Lagos feel that there are already many housing options - they just cannot afford them.
Properties are pricey and landlords typically require annual, not monthly rent payments.
Banking consultant Abimbola Agbalu tells me that he has to live at his grandmother's house, because renting his own place would be too expensive.
"If I wanted to rent a house where I would prefer in Lagos I would be spending at least 80% of my pay cheque to move in because I would have to pay two years' rent upfront, agency fees and maintenance fees.

"And from then on I would have to spend another 60-70% of my pay cheque every year on rent, which doesn't make sense.
"The problem is not that there are no houses. If you look around, there are empty houses all over Lagos; some can even go a year without being rented out.

"The problem is that people can't afford them. We need better alternatives."
Refurbishing shipping containers
One Nigerian company is thinking inside the box in order to provide a cheaper housing option - by making homes out of cargo containers .

Dele Ijaiya-Oladipo says he co-founded Tempo Housing Nigeria to provide a creative solution in a city that desperately needs low-cost housing.
"The only way we can get the housing deficit sorted is by providing good quality houses at affordable rates.
"You can't build a million homes at a price that no-one will ever afford - that doesn't achieve anything."
Mr Ijaiya-Oladipo's container homes are 25% cheaper than traditional housing, and can be built in as little as two weeks.
"But the concept is still foreign to many Nigerians; so most of his clients tend to use the containers to build office spaces, not homes," he says.

"Until a potential client actually sees our past work, they can't really picture how a shipping container can be used as a finished house or office.

"We have to encourage people to visit our office which is made out of containers, so they can see what we are talking about."

From a self-sustaining city to refurbished-shipping containers, private sector real-estate developers are offering both big and small solutions - and Lagos needs them all.
The city is Africa's largest, and its population is expected to [b]double by 2050; [/b]putting even more pressure on already limited housing options.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-38688796

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lagos Living: Solving Nigeria's Megacity Housing Crisis by TANKDESTROYER(m): 7:33am On Jan 23, 2017
Wow....
Re: Lagos Living: Solving Nigeria's Megacity Housing Crisis by Nobody: 7:38am On Jan 23, 2017
Las-gidi

1 Like

Re: Lagos Living: Solving Nigeria's Megacity Housing Crisis by veekid(m): 9:50am On Jan 23, 2017

that sound telemundoish

1 Share

Re: Lagos Living: Solving Nigeria's Megacity Housing Crisis by Ruggedpen: 9:50am On Jan 23, 2017
Re: Lagos Living: Solving Nigeria's Megacity Housing Crisis by good4all40: 9:52am On Jan 23, 2017
Great!
Re: Lagos Living: Solving Nigeria's Megacity Housing Crisis by Wiseandtrue(f): 9:52am On Jan 23, 2017
You can't build a million homes at a price that no-one will ever afford - that doesn't achieve anything."
Mr Ijaiya-Oladipo's container homes are 25% cheaper than traditional housing, and can be built in as little as two weeks.

True. nice concept but the container houses will still need space where you can drop them.
So how do you go about that challenge
Re: Lagos Living: Solving Nigeria's Megacity Housing Crisis by smogup: 9:53am On Jan 23, 2017
Buhari has taken the recession to the red side of London.

7 Likes

Re: Lagos Living: Solving Nigeria's Megacity Housing Crisis by SexyNairalander: 9:53am On Jan 23, 2017
booked
Re: Lagos Living: Solving Nigeria's Megacity Housing Crisis by talk2hb1(m): 9:54am On Jan 23, 2017
sad shocked
Re: Lagos Living: Solving Nigeria's Megacity Housing Crisis by ayusco85(m): 9:54am On Jan 23, 2017
Imagine renting a room self contained in an estate in ajah for 350k including agent and agreement. Something needs to be done abt Lagos rent
Re: Lagos Living: Solving Nigeria's Megacity Housing Crisis by seunlayi(m): 9:55am On Jan 23, 2017
hunger in the land

1 Like

Re: Lagos Living: Solving Nigeria's Megacity Housing Crisis by Luvdmx(m): 9:55am On Jan 23, 2017
undecided

11 Likes

Re: Lagos Living: Solving Nigeria's Megacity Housing Crisis by Nobody: 9:55am On Jan 23, 2017
No ports, no lagos
Re: Lagos Living: Solving Nigeria's Megacity Housing Crisis by Nobody: 9:58am On Jan 23, 2017
But which land dem go mount this containers,when you tell babe you dey live inside container,I dey imagine how her reaction go be,igbo girls go jump ontop your preek that's for sure.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Living: Solving Nigeria's Megacity Housing Crisis by justmenoni: 9:58am On Jan 23, 2017
[Na wa for u

quote author=veekid post=53052605]
that sound telemundoish [/quote]
Re: Lagos Living: Solving Nigeria's Megacity Housing Crisis by Kx: 9:58am On Jan 23, 2017
Eko Atlantic for middle income earners

What exactly defines middle income again?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Living: Solving Nigeria's Megacity Housing Crisis by ayusco85(m): 10:07am On Jan 23, 2017
justscorchone:
But which land dem go mount this containers,when you tell babe you dey live inside container,I dey imagine how her reaction go be,igbo girls go jump ontop your preek that's for sure.

Igbo girls won't even follow u home

1 Like

Re: Lagos Living: Solving Nigeria's Megacity Housing Crisis by ayusco85(m): 10:08am On Jan 23, 2017
justscorchone:

Lol. Igbo girls no go even follow u reach the area.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Living: Solving Nigeria's Megacity Housing Crisis by pochoo: 10:18am On Jan 23, 2017
Lagos ... lagos
Re: Lagos Living: Solving Nigeria's Megacity Housing Crisis by nurez305(m): 10:36am On Jan 23, 2017
Ok
Re: Lagos Living: Solving Nigeria's Megacity Housing Crisis by AnambraDota: 10:37am On Jan 23, 2017
Most Yolobas i know are squatting with their grandparents in the crowded neighbourhoods of lagos.
Re: Lagos Living: Solving Nigeria's Megacity Housing Crisis by deebsman1(m): 10:40am On Jan 23, 2017
Nice 1
Re: Lagos Living: Solving Nigeria's Megacity Housing Crisis by Twistaray(m): 11:13am On Jan 23, 2017
AnambraDota:
Most Yolobas i know are squatting with their grandparents in the crowded neighbourhoods of lagos.

Who doesn't know that what you just said is what Yeigboss are known For in Lagos, quatting ? grin
Or how do you think emaka that came to Lagos to hustle without a place to stay survives ? lipsrsealed
They deceive ya self!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Living: Solving Nigeria's Megacity Housing Crisis by dacovajnr: 11:43am On Jan 23, 2017
AnambraDota :
You mean am? My friend chukwudi enter lagos early last year as e see say lasgidi sweet..he call Ebuka,chigozie,Chukwuma,Chukwujekwu,Gift,ikechukwu all come join am for him for the Single room apartment for Owode Elede..Maka Why? cry

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Living: Solving Nigeria's Megacity Housing Crisis by misterchris(m): 12:30pm On Jan 23, 2017
smogup:
Buhari has taken the recession to the red side of London.
That one you are seeing is it not serving the purpose?
Re: Lagos Living: Solving Nigeria's Megacity Housing Crisis by lazsnaira(m): 12:47pm On Jan 23, 2017
OK
Re: Lagos Living: Solving Nigeria's Megacity Housing Crisis by Nobody: 12:58pm On Jan 23, 2017
AnambraDota:
That is why we say you people are ignorant, go to the most overcrowded places in Lagos like Ajegunle, Festac and Alaba and you would see how your potential boyfriends and husbands are fighting themselves on daily basis over bed space and toilet sharing.
Re: Lagos Living: Solving Nigeria's Megacity Housing Crisis by YTderin(f): 1:34pm On Jan 23, 2017
What's the definition of middle income, again Eko Atlantic for middle income earners? Issokay.
Re: Lagos Living: Solving Nigeria's Megacity Housing Crisis by Zirah: 2:57pm On Jan 23, 2017
Igbos. Opportunists. Flooding Lagos every day like refugees. Go to okota/ Ago, Iyana iba, mile 2, you'll see them flocked in one like hopeless sheep. Backward clan.
Re: Lagos Living: Solving Nigeria's Megacity Housing Crisis by laudate: 3:12pm On Jan 23, 2017
YTderin:
What's the definition of middle income, again Eko Atlantic for middle income earners? Issokay.

Don't mind that ignorant reporter. Eko Atlantic where flats go for excess of $ 1 million USD is meant for the middle-income, going by their twisted ideology. They think that they are talking to f00ls.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Eastland Golf Estate And Fairfield Apartment @ Abijo +2349030188831 Secure Yours / 5 Bedroom Mansion (Duplex) Aba - Abia State Project / Don't compromise On Quality, Buy The DS/S-Korean Stone Coated Roofings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.