Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,958 members, 7,821,374 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:08 PM

4 Ways To Create A Good Reading Habit. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 4 Ways To Create A Good Reading Habit. (15191 Views)

Cultivate Good Reading Culture, VC Charges Students / 5 Effective Ways Of A Good Reading Habit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Ways To Create A Good Reading Habit. by lexilla007(m): 10:22pm On Jan 23, 2017
Cultivating the reading habit.
As a goal oriented person, I took the time out at the beginning of this year to ask myself these questions : Where do I want to be at the end of this year ? and How do I want to achieve this things ? So i did a kind of thinking or better put meditation on these questions and found out the exact answers to them.
Yes I had goals for myself and at least a viable plan to meet those goals. Yes I want to have been this , I want to have achieved this, I want to have done those and blah blah blah. But what are my plans to achieving these my goals?
I read somewhere that what we are is a matter of our habits. Simple as that statement is, it imprinted in me like seriously. So I asked myself, what habits do I need to cultivate if I am to become the kind of person I want to be at the end of 2017 ? Through researches both on and offline, I got some habits I wanted to inculcate in myself to become the kind of person that I am.
One of such habits is the reading habit. What is this reading habit ? How can one cultivate the reading habit ? What are the benefit of a cool reading habit ? These are the questions to be answered in this weeks Monday Motivational Moment MMM4.

So what exactly is the reading habit I am talking about ?
This is an habit one keeps such that one reads one thing or the other in a regular pattern. A person with a good reading habit makes sure he or she reads something every waking moment. This may be a piece of literature, an academic book, a religious one, a piece of newspaper, magazine , blog post etc. It can even be research materials like dictionaries.
How can one cultivate good reading habits ?
1. Set a goal over a period of time.
Have it as a goal to finish a particular piece over a reasonable period of time. This keeps you focused on keeping your good habit. I personally has it as a goal to read at least a book in every month. Another of such is reading the bible in the year. Want to make an habit of reading ? Set a goal for yourself.
2. Create time for reading just as you do for eating. Have you ever seen a man who is as busy as not setting a time for eating in a 24 hour period of time ? This is so because food provides the body with nourishment. How much more we need to on nourish our minds and hearts through reading. This time might be late in the night or early in the morning. Choose a time that suits you. Period.
3. Avoid procrastination. Kill it now, never postpone. The time is that very moment. Don't Fall into the habit of "latering" reading.
4. Avoid distractions. Off your phones. Don't read in front of a television. Off your stereo. Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

When you have done all these, you will created for yourself a good reading habit and the benefits are endless. Readers are leaders. They are well informed. They can draw on experiences of others through the lines of the pages they read and can therefore make wise decisions in their everyday life.

To good habits.

www.ogunleyeakinola.

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 4 Ways To Create A Good Reading Habit. by TheVictorious(m): 9:04am On Jan 24, 2017
Thank you very much man!

1 Like

Re: 4 Ways To Create A Good Reading Habit. by Nobody: 7:48pm On Jan 24, 2017
Nice one op.

1 Like

Re: 4 Ways To Create A Good Reading Habit. by lexilla007(m): 8:31pm On Jan 24, 2017
Gaborone:
Nice one op.
thanks Bro
Re: 4 Ways To Create A Good Reading Habit. by SirdimayG(m): 10:10pm On Jan 24, 2017
Good one OP

1 Like

Re: 4 Ways To Create A Good Reading Habit. by lexilla007(m): 5:39am On Jan 25, 2017
SirdimayG:
Good one OP
Thanks Sir.
Re: 4 Ways To Create A Good Reading Habit. by veekid(m): 7:39am On Jan 25, 2017
Informative
Re: 4 Ways To Create A Good Reading Habit. by Barbarthundey(m): 7:41am On Jan 25, 2017
veekid:
Informative

Educative

1 Like

Re: 4 Ways To Create A Good Reading Habit. by Nobody: 7:42am On Jan 25, 2017
The intention of this article is good but it requires grammatical surgery

1 Like

Re: 4 Ways To Create A Good Reading Habit. by nightingalee: 7:43am On Jan 25, 2017
Re: 4 Ways To Create A Good Reading Habit. by koxi: 7:43am On Jan 25, 2017
...it's as simple as that!
There are no hard and fast rules.
wink op

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 4 Ways To Create A Good Reading Habit. by GoldPencil: 7:44am On Jan 25, 2017
You can cultivate the habit by reading an excerpt from my book here.https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/1DC8OMK80D9IW
PLEASE REMEMBER TO CLIQ THE NOMINATE BUTTON

Re: 4 Ways To Create A Good Reading Habit. by airminem(f): 7:45am On Jan 25, 2017
Reading Can Be A Good Positive Habit, But Try Avoiding Reading Much About Health Issues.

1 Like

Re: 4 Ways To Create A Good Reading Habit. by airminem(f): 7:46am On Jan 25, 2017
Tazmode:
The intention of this article is good but it requires grammatical surgery

Is That Your Summary?
Re: 4 Ways To Create A Good Reading Habit. by Jumat08(m): 7:47am On Jan 25, 2017
Food for thought,very informative.
Re: 4 Ways To Create A Good Reading Habit. by Genea(f): 7:52am On Jan 25, 2017
I really need to stop procrastination angry
Re: 4 Ways To Create A Good Reading Habit. by Nobody: 7:57am On Jan 25, 2017
airminem:

Is That Your Summary?
not summary, observation. Don't get me wrong pls
Re: 4 Ways To Create A Good Reading Habit. by Opistorincos(m): 7:59am On Jan 25, 2017
This came through at the right time
Re: 4 Ways To Create A Good Reading Habit. by Maxcollins042(m): 7:59am On Jan 25, 2017
airminem:
Reading Can Be A Good Positive Habit, But Try Avoiding Reading Much About Health Issues.
Why?
Re: 4 Ways To Create A Good Reading Habit. by Nobody: 8:05am On Jan 25, 2017
Well said
Re: 4 Ways To Create A Good Reading Habit. by talkeverytime: 8:13am On Jan 25, 2017
Nice one Op. This kind of thread no dey pull traffic like that.

Serious minded people, also read "5 Things to do to ensure your success in 2017" http://talkeverytime..co.id/2017/01/5-things-to-do-to-ensure-your-success.html
Re: 4 Ways To Create A Good Reading Habit. by slawomir: 8:19am On Jan 25, 2017
creating time for reading is boring. following a reading time table is more disastrous and scaring. and as time goes on you will be afraid to read.
just read when you feel like reading. and I bet you the urge to read all the time will grow
talking about switching off your phone. switching off the TV and music is a no no. what if you have important calls?
people read and understand in different environment. like my uncle he read and understands after taking some bottles of alcohol. a friend of mine can read and understand in noisy environment. and for me I can't read without music, especially foreign songs from artiste like One Direction, sia, the weekend, a great big world, passenger, Bruno Mars, avicii, Ed Sheeran, Sam Smith, xambassador, George ezra

1 Like

Re: 4 Ways To Create A Good Reading Habit. by engrMikemd(m): 8:28am On Jan 25, 2017
kudos
Re: 4 Ways To Create A Good Reading Habit. by nice360: 8:44am On Jan 25, 2017
Good. God bless you man
Re: 4 Ways To Create A Good Reading Habit. by Barondval: 8:45am On Jan 25, 2017
Keep it up!
Re: 4 Ways To Create A Good Reading Habit. by Ofodibe(m): 8:45am On Jan 25, 2017
Information lead to transformation......
Re: 4 Ways To Create A Good Reading Habit. by Soljaboi44(m): 8:47am On Jan 25, 2017
K
Re: 4 Ways To Create A Good Reading Habit. by Barondval: 8:52am On Jan 25, 2017
Nice one
Re: 4 Ways To Create A Good Reading Habit. by fitinwell: 8:56am On Jan 25, 2017
I need someone to please summarise Op write up... just too lazy to Read history.. Thanks
Re: 4 Ways To Create A Good Reading Habit. by oforij(m): 8:59am On Jan 25, 2017
Great and helpful article. Please, anybody with an idea of the subject combination for npdc exam?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

DELSU Backs Out Of ASUU Strike, Resumes Classes / 50,000 To Two Lucky People / Fumigation: 100 Ekiti Students Hospitalised After Inhaling Chemicals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.