Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,790 members, 7,817,282 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:26 AM

How Our Parents Taught Us To Conquer Our Fears Those Days - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Our Parents Taught Us To Conquer Our Fears Those Days (1060 Views)

MY FEARS ARE GETTING REAL. / Lady Reveals How She Taught Her Husband's Entitled Friend A Painful Lesson / How A Pant Taught Me How To Always Mind My Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Our Parents Taught Us To Conquer Our Fears Those Days by xynerise: 6:09pm On Jan 24, 2017
There is something about giving your kids edge in difficult and controversial situations those days to face and fight their fears. Though we don't fight bloody using dangerous weapons and causing mayhem in the street, but we sure do know how to win "Wars" grin.

My Dad would tell us

" If you come back home crying that your age mate beat you up, you will not eat that day and you will get 12strokes of cane".

Sometimes, even if the person is a older , he would say

" Even if you can't beat them, at least give them a scar they will never forget"

My parents would tell us that it is better for other kids' parents to come to our house to report us for beating the proteins off their kids than for them to do so.

The interesting part is,after they finished reporting, my mum will kneel and apologise but that day will be special meal for the person that got the job done grin.

Those days when we fight, we remember the reward at home and make sure we drop a "legacy" on your body grin

Today's children na Akamu...my kids must have edges grin

Share yours grin

Lalasticlala

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Our Parents Taught Us To Conquer Our Fears Those Days by Nobody: 6:25pm On Jan 24, 2017
I am not understanding angry
Re: How Our Parents Taught Us To Conquer Our Fears Those Days by Nobody: 6:25pm On Jan 24, 2017
My mama guilty. Made me strong. Lived every moment beating sosun eghosa kazeem and OBOYE boys.

Now I'm cummando
Re: How Our Parents Taught Us To Conquer Our Fears Those Days by xynerise: 6:29pm On Jan 24, 2017
DESNAT:
I am not understanding angry

Yes, you must be among the akamus grin
Re: How Our Parents Taught Us To Conquer Our Fears Those Days by Ishilove: 10:19pm On Jan 24, 2017
I was never a fighter but what I lacked in fighting skills I more than made up with my mouth and pen cheesy

In primary school I wrote my bestie Adesua the toddler's version of a hate mail.

"I hate you," I wrote in her notepad.

Of course she took the note to our class teacher who promptly forced me to erase it. I also spent break time kneeling down and facing the wall. angry

I went home and reported to my mum who told me "sorry", and that was the end of it.

I avoided fights but whenever I got into one, I was usually soundly beaten. cheesy

I focused all my energy into writing stinkers to the jerks who beat me, and those times when I couldn't get the notes to them, I reported to my big sis who beat them for me. If they were bigger than her, she would help me abuse them thoroughly. grin

When we got home, Mother would tell me 'sorry', and that was that.

In time, my folks taught me that fighting is for riffraffs so it must be avoided at all cost. My dad would write letters (I got my flair for the pen from him) to the parents of bullies sternly exhorting them to warn their kids to leave me alone or otherwise face his wrath. He would also write to the school management to curb activities of bullies.

This helped me a long way sha. At least I was never waylaid on the way again after his letters began pouring in. cheesy

3 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How Our Parents Taught Us To Conquer Our Fears Those Days by uboma(m): 5:35am On Jan 25, 2017
^^^^
grin
Re: How Our Parents Taught Us To Conquer Our Fears Those Days by sisisioge: 7:13am On Jan 25, 2017
I was a huge mouth while growing grin plus I have a residence muscle: my sis. We were a forced set of twins with only 18months apart. We shared friends and foes. Been in same class since pry 4! She was cubby and calm, I was skinny and fierce! If I get in a fight, it becomes her fight. Together, no one messes with us. grin Our mom was thus not worried about anyone beating us, her only worry was us killing each other. As closed as we were, when we both disagree...Na die o. We would beat each other up like kilode!

The last physical fight we had before retiring was while we were in the university...We of course shared a room. We had an argument about the speed the ceiling fan should roll on that day, before you could say jack, we were fighting. She beat the heck out of me sha cos she had grown way bigger than me grin. It was as if trailer hit me by the time we were done! My then BF had to come and beg her not to beat me again. By the next day, she saw what she had done and pitied me....She apologized. She ended up nursing me for the several days I was off colour.

Anyways, we retired from fighting others long before we retired from fighting each other. The people that knew me then are always awed by my coolness now. Even when I escalate issues for peeps now...I mostly don't break a sweat cool

2 Likes

Re: How Our Parents Taught Us To Conquer Our Fears Those Days by xynerise: 7:52am On Jan 25, 2017
sisisioge:
I was a huge mouth while growing grin plus I have a residence muscle: my sis. We were a forced set of twins with only 18months apart. We shared friends and foes. Been in same class since pry 4! She was cubby and calm, I was skinny and fierce! If I get in a fight, it becomes her fight. Together, no one messes with us. grin Our mom was thus not worried about anyone beating us, her only worry was us killing each other. As closed as we were, when we both disagree...Na die o. We would beat each other up like kilode!

The last physical fight we had before retiring was while we were in the university...We of course shared a room. We had an argument about the speed the ceiling fan should roll on that day, before you could say jack, we were fighting. She beat the heck out of me sha cos she had grown way bigger than me grin. It was as if trailer hit me by the time we were done! My then BF had to come and beg her not to beat me again. By the next day, she saw what she had done and pitied me....She apologized. She ended up nursing me for the several days I was off colour.

Anyways, we retired from fighting others long before we retired from fighting each other. The people that knew me then are always awed by my coolness now. Even when I escalate issues for peeps now...I mostly don't break a sweat cool

You be akamu pikin grin

You may beat me up but I must make you a bleeder grin
Re: How Our Parents Taught Us To Conquer Our Fears Those Days by Syphax(m): 9:06am On Jan 25, 2017
Ishilove:
I was never a fighter but what I lacked in fighting skills I more than made up with my mouth and pen cheesy

In primary school I wrote my bestie Adesua the toddler's version of a hate mail.

"I hate you," I wrote in her notepad.

Of course she took the note to our class teacher who promptly forced me to erase it. I also spent break time kneeling down and facing the wall. angry

I went home and reported to my mum who told me "sorry", and that was the end of it.

I avoided fights but whenever I got into one, I was usually soundly beaten. cheesy

I focused all my energy into writing stinkers to the jerks who beat me, and those times when I couldn't get the notes to them, I reported to my big sis who beat them for me. If they were bigger than her, she would help me abuse them thoroughly. grin

When we got home, Mother would tell me 'sorry', and that was that.

In time, my folks taught me that fighting is for riffraffs so it must be avoided at all cost. My dad would write letters (I got my flair for the pen from him) to the parents of bullies sternly exhorting them to warn their kids to leave me alone or otherwise face his wrath. He would also write to the school management to curb activities of bullies.

This helped me a long way sha. At least I was never waylaid on the way again after his letters began pouring in. cheesy
U get luck sey u no meet me, I for finish you with mouth grin angry
Re: How Our Parents Taught Us To Conquer Our Fears Those Days by Syphax(m): 9:07am On Jan 25, 2017
cummando:
My mama guilty. Made me strong. Lived every moment beating sosun eghosa kazeem and OBOYE boys.

Now I'm cummando
Go slap army man first nah grin
Re: How Our Parents Taught Us To Conquer Our Fears Those Days by Nobody: 9:11am On Jan 25, 2017
Syphax:

Go slap army man first nah grin
Apayan!
Re: How Our Parents Taught Us To Conquer Our Fears Those Days by sisisioge: 11:36am On Jan 25, 2017
xynerise:

You be akamu pikin grin

You may beat me up but I must make you a bleeder grin

For where! No go try me then o...Two of us go finish you!
Re: How Our Parents Taught Us To Conquer Our Fears Those Days by xynerise: 11:39am On Jan 25, 2017
sisisioge:

For where! No go try me then o...Two of us go finish you!

With bite abi? grin
Re: How Our Parents Taught Us To Conquer Our Fears Those Days by sisisioge: 11:41am On Jan 25, 2017
xynerise:

With bite abi? grin

grin grin grin
Re: How Our Parents Taught Us To Conquer Our Fears Those Days by xynerise: 11:42am On Jan 25, 2017
sisisioge:

grin grin grin

E pass like that? grin
Re: How Our Parents Taught Us To Conquer Our Fears Those Days by sisisioge: 11:43am On Jan 25, 2017
xynerise:

E pass like that? grin

Na like that...My set of teeth have always been a force to reckon with.
Re: How Our Parents Taught Us To Conquer Our Fears Those Days by xynerise: 11:58am On Jan 25, 2017
sisisioge:

Na like that...My set of teeth have always been a force to reckon with.

I will first file those teeth flat before spanking you both
Re: How Our Parents Taught Us To Conquer Our Fears Those Days by Ishilove: 1:01pm On Jan 25, 2017
Syphax:

U get luck sey u no meet me, I for finish you with mouth grin angry
You are a learner grin
Re: How Our Parents Taught Us To Conquer Our Fears Those Days by megareal: 4:32pm On Jan 25, 2017
xynerise:

My Dad would tell us

" If you come back home crying that your age mate beat you up, you will not eat that day and you will get 12strokes of cane".

Sometimes, even if the person is a older , he would say

" Even if you can't beat them, at least give them a scar they will never forget"

Lalasticlala

grin. This was my father o, a natural hothead where go enter military join. He didn't want a timid child at all.

Mum was teaching us not to fight, caning us if we do, dad was giving us bottles to break someone's head if they find our trouble and beating the shi*&it out of us if we didnt. His words were '' break their heads, I will defend you''.

The positive side was that his lessons were always to defend ourselves if attacked, he never advised us to go look for trouble.

Truly, I learned to defend myself and siblings at a tender age and now have no fear to confront any situation.

Pesin no fit slap me think say I go turn the other cheek o. Dem never born you. cheesy grin
Re: How Our Parents Taught Us To Conquer Our Fears Those Days by xynerise: 4:42pm On Jan 25, 2017
megareal:

grin. This was my father o, a natural hothead where go enter military join. He didn't want a timid child at all.

Mum was teaching us not to fight, caning us if we do, dad was giving us bottles to break someone's head if they find our trouble and beating the shi*&it out of us if we didnt. His words were '' break their heads, I will defend you''.

The positive side was that his lessons were always to defend ourselves if attacked, he never advised us to go look for trouble.

Truly, I learned to defend myself and siblings at a tender age and now have no fear to confront any situation.

Pesin no fit slap me think say I go turn the other cheek o. Dem never born you. cheesy grin

My kind of woman grin. You sabi better thing jare

1 Like

Re: How Our Parents Taught Us To Conquer Our Fears Those Days by Nobody: 6:02pm On Jan 25, 2017
oh my mum.
smiley

After all the early morning devotions and sermons of being a good child.

some kids my age were trying to bully me, I think I was 7 or so, I told my mum expecting to get sympathy from her and warn the kids off me but instead she scolded me for being a weakling.
"if they insult you, can't you talk? if they slap you, you slap them back 10 times more".
for a moment I was confused, but then her words gave me alot of confidence.

Never got bullied again.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Residential Cleaning In Port Harcourt / Cesarean Section (cs) Versus Normal/vaginal Delivery. / British Man Finds Out Three Sons Aren't His After Raising Them For 20 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.