Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,930 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:14 PM

Man Had To Choose: Save Wife Or Son - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Man Had To Choose: Save Wife Or Son (979 Views)

The Law, The Husband, The Wife Or The Man, Who Is To Blame For This? (snapshots) / Who Would You Help? Your Mom, Wife Or Son? / Man Had Accident On His Way To His Traditional Marriage!!god Help Him!!(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man Had To Choose: Save Wife Or Son by amebono1: 11:30pm On Nov 29, 2009
A man had to make the terrible choice of rescuing his wife or teenage son when their car plunged into a river at the weekend.

Stacey Horton saved his wife, Vanessa, and their 13-year-old son Silva drowned in the Whanganui River.

Mid-Central police communications manager Kim Perks said today it was a very tough call for Mr Horton. "I would certainly not have wanted to be in his shoes."

Mrs Horton, 35, was driving Silva, his best friend, Robert Palmer, 14, and the family dog when her Mazda MPV stationwagon went off Somme Parade in Wanganui and plunged down a steep 10-metre bank into the water on Saturday.

Mr Horton said he arrived at the crash scene, less than two minutes after the accident happened to hear his wife screaming in the darkness and to see Robert and the dog scrambling up the bank.

He tried to dive down to their vehicle, which was nose down, more than a metre beneath the surface, he told The Dominion Post.

"I tried to get down and get him but I couldn't, it was just too deep. And Vanessa was going under," Mr Horton told the newspaper.

"I made a call to pull my wife to safety. I looked back and I could see the tail-lights but it was too far and I couldn't get him.

"I just had to accept the fact that he had gone.

"Instead of going down and risking my life as well as my wife and son's, I chose to take V back and sat on the shore praying. It was all I could do."

Police and fire officers were also unsuccessful in rescuing the boy.

"It was an incredibly traumatic incident for everyone involved," Sergeant Andrew McDonald of Wanganui police said.

"Police officers in uniform were diving in to try to reach the boy and fire officers were doing the same trying to hook a rope around the vehicle to pull it within easier reach.

"At the same we had staff trying to comfort his distraught family on the river bank."

Two local divers eventually reached the vehicle, which had sunk in about 4.5 metres of water, but it was too late to save Silva, Mr McDonald said.

The boy's mother and friend were treated for shock and minor injuries and had since been discharged from hospital.

Wanganui senior station officer Gary Wilson said the water was dark and murky and the firefighters struggled to reach the car.

"We tried everything but to no avail. It was a longshot but it was worth the risk to try and save him."

Divers recovered Silva's body early yesterday. His funeral will be held in Taihape.

Police said that alcohol and speed were not factors in the crash which occurred when the vehicle apparently skidded on wet grass. Silva Horton was one of three reported deaths on the country's roads during the weekend.

A 47-year-old woman died after her car rolled and caught fire on straight piece of road in Kirwee, 37km west of Christchurch, about 4am yesterday.

Police said the car was ablaze when emergency services arrived.

The woman, from Kirwee, was the only person in the car, said Constable David Pitkethley of Darfield police.

It was not known whether she was killed in the crash or by the fire.

Another person was killed in a two-car crash on SH33 at Okere Falls, 20km northeast of Rotorua, about 5pm on Saturday.

It appeared the driver of a Mitsubishi Colt lost control on a corner and crossed the centre line, colliding with a Mazda Proceed 4WD towing a boat, police said.

The driver of the Mitsubishi, the sole occupant, died at the scene.

Two adults and two children in the other vehicle were taken to hospital with moderate injuries.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/world/6529945/dad-shoose-crash-wife-son/
Re: Man Had To Choose: Save Wife Or Son by Explosive(m): 11:52pm On Nov 29, 2009
Wow, this is a very serious issue i wouldnt want anyone to be in. But if this happens to me, i think i would go for my son bcuz i could always remarry (no offense to the ladies), then my memory of my late wife would still be wit me as long as i have my son around me. It may sound strange but guys what will y'all do.
Re: Man Had To Choose: Save Wife Or Son by Fhemmmy: 1:44am On Nov 30, 2009
This is a very tough one, cos:
The wife could always give me another son and without her, the son wouldn`t have been.
The Son can always have a step mom, and the blood is always thicker than water.
I will be honest, i cant take a pick.
I am sitting on the fence on this one
Re: Man Had To Choose: Save Wife Or Son by donjon: 2:32am On Nov 30, 2009
I'ld rather die than sacrifice any child of mine, or even any child at all.
Re: Man Had To Choose: Save Wife Or Son by ima1(f): 4:17am On Nov 30, 2009
i would rather my child live, than me, i would give up my life for my child cuz he/she has got a life ahead to live and deserves a chance.
Re: Man Had To Choose: Save Wife Or Son by SeanT21(f): 4:59am On Nov 30, 2009
The child should be saved. He is still young with a big future ahead of him..
Re: Man Had To Choose: Save Wife Or Son by Fhemmmy: 5:21am On Nov 30, 2009
Would there have been a child without the mother ^^^^
Re: Man Had To Choose: Save Wife Or Son by SeanT21(f): 5:32am On Nov 30, 2009
NO but he can always get a good step mother.
Re: Man Had To Choose: Save Wife Or Son by Fhemmmy: 5:46am On Nov 30, 2009
And the wife can always have another great son or even 3plets of a son
Re: Man Had To Choose: Save Wife Or Son by SeanT21(f): 5:59am On Nov 30, 2009
Its not fair to cut the little boy life short. Who knows what God has in store for him.
Re: Man Had To Choose: Save Wife Or Son by Fhemmmy: 6:16am On Nov 30, 2009
SeanT21:

Its not fair to cut the little boy life short. Who knows what God has in store for him.

One thing that life has thought us all . . .Life aint fair.
Please dont get me wrong oh, i am not saying i would let my kid die, boy or a girl and that was why i said above that, i cant pick.
But my take is that the life of the son is not worth more than the life of the mother, neither does the life of the mother over that of the son, life is life.

SO ME NO FIT PICK OH
Re: Man Had To Choose: Save Wife Or Son by SeanT21(f): 4:21pm On Nov 30, 2009
True. cheesy
Re: Man Had To Choose: Save Wife Or Son by Fhemmmy: 6:04pm On Nov 30, 2009
^^^^ Lol
Re: Man Had To Choose: Save Wife Or Son by N101: 7:38pm On Nov 30, 2009
Looking at the scenario, the question is unrealistic. There isn't a "the wife or son" element whatsoever. That would only come into play if both were in identical situations, which they weren't.

The father had a choice, save who was easiest to save or drown saving the one more difficult to save. No one would want to be in that position.
Re: Man Had To Choose: Save Wife Or Son by blackspade(m): 7:56pm On Nov 30, 2009
^ I agree. If the father had decided to go after the son instead of his wife and ended up loosing them both, it would have been an even bigger tragedy. As for the question, it would probably be the most difficult decision in my life god forbid.
Re: Man Had To Choose: Save Wife Or Son by Fhemmmy: 11:12pm On Nov 30, 2009
well said.
Re: Man Had To Choose: Save Wife Or Son by Nobody: 12:50am On Dec 01, 2009
@post
whatever choice a person makes in this situation is RIGHT. one life saved is better than none.
Re: Man Had To Choose: Save Wife Or Son by Akinagirl(f): 12:59am On Dec 01, 2009
Wow what a situation, but he did everyhting he could do. Even the rescuers couldn't get him. This is so sad. sad cry
Re: Man Had To Choose: Save Wife Or Son by mamagee3(f): 1:53am On Dec 01, 2009
I laugh in Zamfara!!!
Foolish poster.
grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Is It Right To Involve a Brother In Law Financially In The Upkeep Of The Home / Does Engagement Party Alone Make Sense? / o

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.