Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,790 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:36 AM

Reducing Lending Rate Will Worsen Economy –CBN - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Reducing Lending Rate Will Worsen Economy –CBN (6518 Views)

CBN Sells N187b T-bills In One Week As Lending Rate Falls / Nigeria’s Interbank Lending Rate Rises To 15% – Traders / Cbn Retains Lending Rate At 14% As Faac Shares N429bn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reducing Lending Rate Will Worsen Economy –CBN by Ekiti360(m): 8:39am On Jan 25, 2017
The Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has re- tained lending rate at 14 per cent, saying a rate cut will worsen inflation.

The 10 MPC members yesterday unanimously voted to retain the Monetary Policy Rate (MPR) at 14 per cent, maintain the Cash Reserve Ratio at 22.5 per cent and then keep the Liquidity Ratio at 30 per cent.

Also, the Asymmetric corridor was retained at +200 and -500 basis points around MPR. Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Mr. Godwin Emefiele, said reducing the lending rate would further worsen inflationary conditions and undermine the current outlook in foreign exchange market. Besides, he said that a downward cut in lending rate would aggravate demand pressures.

Explaining why CBN would not bow to pressure on reduction of its lending rate, Emefiele, who addressed the media in Abuja at the end of MPC meeting, said: “The committee further noted that inflationary pressures would begin to subside as non-oil output recovers and the naira exchange rate stabilises. “Until then, it stressed, a rate cut would worsen the inflationary conditions, stunt growth and undermine the current outlook for stability in the foreign exchange market.

“The committee also feels that doing so would further aggravate demand pressures while undermining existing income levels in the face of the already expansionary monetary policy and increasing inflationary pressures, which will make the economy unattractive for foreign and domestic investment. “Given these limitations, the committee was reluctant to lower the policy rate on this occasion, but remained committed to doing so when the conditions permit. “The MPC is concerned that the current situation is not amenable to simplistic analyses and quick fixes such as have found expression and increased attention at different fora and the media.”

Commenting on the preferential 60 per cent to 40 per cent forex allocation in favour of manufacturing sector, the CBN governor clarified that players in the power sector were in the category of the 60 per cent forex allotment.

“I will dare say those in power sector also qualify, those importing raw materials, either importing transformers or importing what you call generators or machines. I don’t mean generators that people put in their houses, because that one is a finished product and they will not qualify under the 60 per cent.

What I mean are plants and equipment, raw materials; those supporting agricultural sector that will assist the inputs they need to conduct their agricultural businesses. “The power sector qualifies, but it is also possible that the constraints some of the local and small business face may also be confronting these power assets companies and we use the opportunity to appeal to banks to look into their direction,” he said. The governor described the recent increase in the reserves as a good development, adding that the bank would be very prudent in its management.

He said: “The reserves today is $28.9 billion. It is exciting to see this happen, but is there a need to float the naira? It is important for us to know that, we do not float the naira; we run a manage float.

What that means is that, from time to time, there is need to intervene in the market to ensure that the exchange rate does not go beyond our own expectations. “This intervention would be to moderate the rate as we deem necessary.

The fact that we began to build up reserves does not mean we should be reckless. We will ensure foreign exchange is made available to those who are importing raw materials, those who are importing plants and equipment by supporting agriculture.”

On measures being taken to close the widening forex gap that exists between the official rate and black market, he said: “Naturally, what we try from time to time is to make more foreign exchange available within the limit of our available resources to those sector that we consider priority sectors. We will continue to do that, hoping that as we do that, the urge for people to go to illegal market, hopefully, would reduce and I want to assure that we would increasingly direct forex resources to those very important sectors of the economy.”

Emefiele also used the occasion to fire back at his critics, whom he said had all access to the bank, but rather chose to play to the gallery. He noted: “I think it is important to react to some of the things I have read, heard in the media about some multiple exchange and rest of them. I have heard about parallel market, airline rate, pilgrims’ rate. It is unfortunate that some of those we’ve read discussing this issue are those who have direct access to CBN. “What we would have expected is that they would talk to us, but of course the objectives they are pursuing are best known to them. Budget rates are forecast rates.

The budget rate as a forecast rate has always been there from history and it’s rate that is used in determining the budget. “Like you heard, the budget is a forecast. It is tentative, so I can’t understand why people are using budget as basis to say that there are different exchange rates in the market. The parallel and interbank rate, as far as I am concerned, is moderate. I do not understand the duplicity about the rate. We explained the issue of pilgrimage when it came up and I keep saying you must put yourself in the position of a businessman where you have struck a deal at a rate at which you will do a deal.

But be- cause the conditions are not favourable to you, you now go back and begin to change the conditions.

“That is unfair business practice. I repeat, what happened was that around March last year, the Pilgrims’ Commissions, both Christian and Muslim pilgrim commissions, approached the CBN and that time the rate was N197 to dollar.

The people who were going to go on pilgrimage started making payment at N197 to the dollar, they now want to embark on pilgrimage sometime in August, then somebody says because market has moved, they should pay N300 as the case may be. “That would have on the part of CBN be unfair business practice just like if the rate had gone down, we would have gone to them in the same direction.

It is important for people not to play to the gallery. They know what they are saying, they know what they are doing, but as I said, their motive is best known to them.” He also expressed confidence in the economy, saying it will record its mileage this year just as he harped on policy coordination by fiscal and monetary authorities.

http://www.kikiotolu.com/2017/01/reducing-lending-rate-will-worsen.html

Lalasticlala Mynd44 seun Dominique
Re: Reducing Lending Rate Will Worsen Economy –CBN by budosky(m): 8:40am On Jan 25, 2017
Ok
Re: Reducing Lending Rate Will Worsen Economy –CBN by Deeypeey(m): 8:53am On Jan 25, 2017
So increasing it will make it better.....Being Broke alone is far far better than being Broke and in-debt....

2 Likes

Re: Reducing Lending Rate Will Worsen Economy –CBN by izzy4shizzy(m): 8:55am On Jan 25, 2017
Which economy? Nigeria get economy? Warey people

1 Like

Re: Reducing Lending Rate Will Worsen Economy –CBN by chimdi101: 8:55am On Jan 25, 2017
So lending is the only possible way to help the economy?
Make una dey lend dey go!
Re: Reducing Lending Rate Will Worsen Economy –CBN by Ermacc: 8:56am On Jan 25, 2017
all your policies have already worsened the economy.

7 Likes

Re: Reducing Lending Rate Will Worsen Economy –CBN by coolbreezy01: 8:57am On Jan 25, 2017
Oh now so they mean if we collect loan the economy will strong abi. But na for where the money wan comot from in the first place na cause as at no naija is broke!!!
Re: Reducing Lending Rate Will Worsen Economy –CBN by Adesiji77: 8:59am On Jan 25, 2017
"Do nothing" approach cool

1 Like

Re: Reducing Lending Rate Will Worsen Economy –CBN by maziyo(m): 8:59am On Jan 25, 2017
we r tired.
Re: Reducing Lending Rate Will Worsen Economy –CBN by Btruth: 9:00am On Jan 25, 2017
This CBN governor certainly doesn't know jack shit! He is one of our problem in this country.

4 Likes

Re: Reducing Lending Rate Will Worsen Economy –CBN by Young109(m): 9:08am On Jan 25, 2017
Maybe I don't know what to say. In this confused country. Abeg it's high time we realised we can't live together anymore.
Next

1 Like

Re: Reducing Lending Rate Will Worsen Economy –CBN by AngelsAndStars(m): 9:12am On Jan 25, 2017
This is absolutely true.

reducing lending rates will increase inflation, but subsidising some certain sectors will be better. the only issue I have is why they subsidise pilgrims. who does that?

anyway, increase or decrease we'll suffer in both scenarios so let them just leave the rate as it is. let's suffer now instead of postponing dooms day
Re: Reducing Lending Rate Will Worsen Economy –CBN by Nobody: 9:12am On Jan 25, 2017
I guess he is looking at it like a one way thing or maybe he knows better.

That 14% seems to be the benchmark rate, some banks might even charge higher.

I think it should be more of a chain event_ reduce lending rate to single digit grin (cfman's idea), this would in turn spur SMEs to borrow more, generate employment and business opportunities...part of the income still gets ploughed back into the economy.

2 Likes

Re: Reducing Lending Rate Will Worsen Economy –CBN by AngelsAndStars(m): 9:14am On Jan 25, 2017
Btruth:
This CBN governor certainly doesn't know jack shit! He is one of our problem in this country.
and what do you propose the CBN governor does? tell us
Re: Reducing Lending Rate Will Worsen Economy –CBN by agitator: 9:15am On Jan 25, 2017
This so called rate does not impact the Nigerian economy as it is because banks lend to only the oil & gas, politicians and telecoms giants. Banks hardly lend to SMEs as most times the people with brilliant productive ideas cannot meet the banks requirements. undecided undecided undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reducing Lending Rate Will Worsen Economy –CBN by Bimpe29: 9:15am On Jan 25, 2017
Macro economics are in disarray. Our economic managers are short of necessary tips and measures to arrest the ugly circumstances surrounding Nigerian economy.
Re: Reducing Lending Rate Will Worsen Economy –CBN by AngelsAndStars(m): 9:16am On Jan 25, 2017
PaperLace:
I guess he is looking at it like a one way thing or maybe he knows better. I think it should be more of a chain event_ reduce lending rate to single digit grin (cfman's idea), this would in turn spur SMEs to borrow more, generate employment and business opportunities...part of the income still gets ploughed back into the economy.
Lolz. you talk as though it's simple as ABC.
Re: Reducing Lending Rate Will Worsen Economy –CBN by hezy4real01(m): 9:17am On Jan 25, 2017
hmmmm God have Mercy on our Country Nigeria
Re: Reducing Lending Rate Will Worsen Economy –CBN by TRADELYN: 9:17am On Jan 25, 2017
Most comments here show that our biggest problem is ignorance. undecided
Re: Reducing Lending Rate Will Worsen Economy –CBN by Nobody: 9:21am On Jan 25, 2017
AngelsAndStars:
Lolz. you talk as though it's simple as ABC.
It's not that simple in the long run, but it's 'doable' and it's his job to do it. grin

TRADELYN:
Uncle let's hear your submission na. We're all learning...

4 Likes

Re: Reducing Lending Rate Will Worsen Economy –CBN by 989900: 9:25am On Jan 25, 2017
Reserves increasing, dollar exchange rates also increasing . . . with multiple exchange rates . . . I am not understanding . . . Emefiele and CBN are one part clueless, one part complicit.
Re: Reducing Lending Rate Will Worsen Economy –CBN by AngelsAndStars(m): 9:26am On Jan 25, 2017
PaperLace:

It's not that simple in the long run, but it's 'doable' and it's his job to do it. grin
Shoro niyen? it's obvious you don't know jack. Oya go locate tonto dike thread.
Re: Reducing Lending Rate Will Worsen Economy –CBN by AngelsAndStars(m): 9:28am On Jan 25, 2017
TRADELYN:
imagine how empty the thread is. laughable. if na to complain about mmm e fit don reach page 30

2 Likes

Re: Reducing Lending Rate Will Worsen Economy –CBN by TRADELYN: 9:28am On Jan 25, 2017
PaperLace:
Uncle let's hear your submission na. We're all learning...
My dear, the CBN is right as we have to spend out of this recession, OK?
I would explain more here or in another thread when I am less busy.

Cheers!
Re: Reducing Lending Rate Will Worsen Economy –CBN by Nobody: 9:33am On Jan 25, 2017
AngelsAndStars:
Shoro niyen? it's obvious you don't know jack. Oya go locate tonto dike thread.
Quit throwing tantrums, I never argued that I know 'jack'.
You know right? Let's hear you. I'm open to learning...

TRADELYN:

Cheers!
I'll be waiting patiently.

1 Like

Re: Reducing Lending Rate Will Worsen Economy –CBN by agitator: 9:34am On Jan 25, 2017
TRADELYN:

Cheers!

hmmmm, we dey wait. wink wink wink

1 Like

Re: Reducing Lending Rate Will Worsen Economy –CBN by AngelsAndStars(m): 9:35am On Jan 25, 2017
PaperLace:

Quit throwing tantrums, I never argued that I know 'jack'.
You know right? Let's hear you. I'm open to learning...

I'll be waiting patiently.
oya sorry na. why you kan vex now now. chop kiss. Muah#
Re: Reducing Lending Rate Will Worsen Economy –CBN by Nobody: 9:37am On Jan 25, 2017
Btruth:
Clearly, the man does not know what he's doing. He should quickly throw in the towel.

1 Like

Re: Reducing Lending Rate Will Worsen Economy –CBN by AngelsAndStars(m): 9:40am On Jan 25, 2017
DeeTus:
Clearly, the man does not know what he's doing. He should quickly throw in the towel.
tell us what should be the case.
Re: Reducing Lending Rate Will Worsen Economy –CBN by Nobody: 9:46am On Jan 25, 2017
AngelsAndStars:
oya sorry na. why you kan vex now now. chop kiss. Muah#
I'm far from being angry.
Still waiting to hear your opinion smiley
Re: Reducing Lending Rate Will Worsen Economy –CBN by AngelsAndStars(m): 9:50am On Jan 25, 2017
PaperLace:

I'm far from being angry.
Still waiting to hear your opinion smiley
Do you reside in Lagos? if yes then let's have a date I'll explain better.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Need Car Park And Canopy In Abuja? / Soap Making Business Training/workshop By Ihart *UPDATED* / Wadata Market Makurdi Gutted By Fire Last Night

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.