Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,062 members, 7,810,956 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:27 PM

What Is Islamophobia? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is Islamophobia? (2120 Views)

Richard Dawkins' Berkeley Event Cancelled For 'Islamophobia' / End Islamophobia Thread / Islamophobia And The Hypocrisy Of Christianity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Islamophobia? by alBHAGDADI: 12:28pm On Jan 26, 2017
Islamophobia is a word i hear almost everyday now, on the streets and in the news (mostly CNN, BBC and Aljazeera). Before we go into the meaning of Islamophobia, we have to first of all consider the fact that the word is a combination of 2 words- Islam and Phobia. We all know what Islam is, they call it a religion of peace. Phobia, on the other hand, means a fear of something.

If am afraid of heights, I can say i have a phobia for heights. This means that i will always ensure that i stay off high grounds. If it is a fear of driving i have, i can say i have phobia for driving. This means that i will avoid ever driving.

To musims, Islamophobia means a fear of Islam, while Islamophobe is a person who has fear of islam in him. That is the name Muslims love to call anyone who speaks or criticizes islam genuinely. I believe they are using the word wrongly. If i say that I have a phobia for heights and am seen smiling while jumping off a flying helicopter with a parachute, can anyone believe that i have such phobia? No. Since Islamophobia is a fear of Islam, if i criticize Islam and someone calls me an islamophobe, the person needs to check himself for using the word wrongly. How can you call someone that challenges Islam an Islamophobe?

I believe the word Islamophobe should only be used on people who cant speak up against Islam's terrorism and backward ways due to fear of being beheaded or persecuted, not people who are bold enough and show no fear in challenging it.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Islamophobia? by alBHAGDADI: 12:31pm On Jan 26, 2017
feliximor aminusanti annunaki2 plappville plapville friendchoice, rilwayne001 udatso seun jackbizzle ilynem
Re: What Is Islamophobia? by amnesty7: 12:33pm On Jan 26, 2017
It is a spiritual disease that will kill you. Islam has survived the worst of its enemies and they died while the religion became even stronger and more populous. It will outlive you too. No doubt.

4 Likes

Re: What Is Islamophobia? by thesicilian: 12:40pm On Jan 26, 2017
alBHAGDADI:

Phobia, on the other hand, means a fear of something.
I think the word itself is a misnomer. But first let me point out that the word phobia does not just mean fear of something, the actual definition is an irrational fear of something. For example the fear of heights (Acrophobia) example you gave above. If you are afraid of a height with a very high risk of injury, e.g being on the edge of the roof of a skyscraper with no supports whatsoever, that fear is normal and to be expected. It is not a phobia. But when you are afraid to climb a well built staircase, for example, even with all the safety measures in place, that fear is irrational and can be termed a phobia.
Now the word itself islamophobia is a misnomer because Islam itself, based on its teachings and behavioral characteristics attributed to its followers, is a religion that should be feared.
Look at all the major terrorist groups in the world - ISIS, Al Qaeda, Boko Haram, Al shabaab, Hezbollah, the Taliban, Fulani Herdsmen - the only common denominator is their Islamic roots.
Now tell me is it irrational to fear a religion so deadly and dangerous as Islam?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Islamophobia? by 40kobo77: 12:57pm On Jan 26, 2017
The fear of Islam is the beginning of Wisdom.

For those that have not seen Muslims do things in the name of Allah,pray to never see any. These guys will maim,kill,wreak and cause havoc without even blinking.

I think the number 1 requirement to becoming a Muslim,is the ability to not have problems killing people of your own faith,or others.

Christianity is not better either. It was just yesterday night I read on about the scandals and crimes committed by at least 10 Pope's of the Catholic.

Nearly all Catholic Pope's back in the days ordered the killing of people,and 90% of them were openly homosexuals,and the other 10% fathered plenty of Children even if they were not suppose to touch women.

Pope Stephen V1 even ordered that the Corpse of Pope Formosus,be exhumed and was tried as a criminal because he hated that Pope. When the dead body was found guilty,it was thrown into the River.

Islam,Christianity all messed up.

Na Atheist I wan port to.
Re: What Is Islamophobia? by alBHAGDADI: 12:59pm On Jan 26, 2017
amnesty7:
It is a spiritual disease that will kill you. Islam has survived the worst of its enemies and they died while the religion became even stronger and more populous. It will outlive you too. No doubt.
The worst of islam's enemies is christianity which is still growing and the largest religion on earth. The enemies islam overcame were defeated by terrorism, islamic invasion and forceful conversion.
Re: What Is Islamophobia? by alBHAGDADI: 1:10pm On Jan 26, 2017
40kobo77:
The fear of Islam is the beginning of Wisdom.

For those that have not seen Muslims do things in the name of Allah,pray to never see any. These guys will maim,kill,wreak and cause havoc without even blinking.

I think the number 1 requirement to becoming a Muslim,is the ability to not have problems killing people of your own faith,or others.

Christianity is not better either. It was just yesterday night I read on about the scandals and crimes committed by at least 10 Pope's of the Catholic.

Nearly all Catholic Pope's back in the days ordered the killing of people,and 90% of them were openly homosexuals,and the other 10% fathered plenty of Children even if they were not suppose to touch women.

Pope Stephen V1 even ordered that the Corpse of Pope Formosus,be exhumed and was tried as a criminal because he hated that Pope. When the dead body was found guilty,it was thrown into the River.

Islam,Christianity all messed up.

Na Atheist I wan port to.

Before you can judge any religion, you have to look into the life of the person that brought it. Christ live and preached peace. He told his followers to do the same. Now, if some of them decide to do otherwise, it means they failed and have veered off his teachings. You cant lay the blame on Christ just as you cant lay the blame on a teacher who taught a class very well but still had a few failed students.

But Muslims are good students of Mohammed as they carry out the same terror act he did and as commanded by the Quran.

1 Like

Re: What Is Islamophobia? by Juxtified(m): 1:12pm On Jan 26, 2017
thesicilian:

I think the word itself is a misnomer. But first let me point out that the word phobia does not just mean fear of something, the actual definition is an irrational fear of something. For example the fear of heights (Acrophobia) example you gave above. If you are afraid of a height with a very high risk of injury, e.g being on the edge of the roof of a skyscraper with no supports whatsoever, that fear is normal and to be expected. It is not a phobia. But when you are afraid to climb a well built staircase, for example, even with all the safety measures in place, that fear is irrational and can be termed a phobia.
Now the word itself islamophobia is a misnomer because Islam itself, based on its teachings and behavioral characteristics attributed to its followers, is a religion that should be feared.
Look at all the major terrorist groups in the world - ISIS, Al Qaeda, Boko Haram, Al shabaab, Hezbollah, the Taliban, Fulani Herdsmen - the only common denominator is their Islamic roots.
Now tell me is it irrational to fear a religion so deadly and dangerous as Islam?
Well on point. Let me add the Muslim Brotherhood and Shi'ites also.

1 Like

Re: What Is Islamophobia? by alBHAGDADI: 1:12pm On Jan 26, 2017
thesicilian:

Nice one. Yet, they say it is a peaceful religion.

1 Like

Re: What Is Islamophobia? by PureHeart01: 1:15pm On Jan 26, 2017
thesicilian:

Re: What Is Islamophobia? by hopefulLandlord: 1:17pm On Jan 26, 2017
alBHAGDADI:
Before you can judge any religion, you have to look into the life of the person that brought it. Christ live and preached peace. He told his followers to do the same. Now, if some of them decide to do otherwise, it means they failed and have veered off his teachings. You cant lay the blame on Christ just as you cant lay the blame on a teacher who taught a class very well but still had a few failed students.

I actually disagree here for just one simple but huge reason

both religion believes in the "Divine Command Theory"

that's one of the issues I have with all god based religion

Once you believe that Divine Command Theory is good you open yourself to a problem of not having ANY base to criticise other religion especially killings and destructions that many of their members are doing
Re: What Is Islamophobia? by alBHAGDADI: 1:26pm On Jan 26, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

I actually disagree here for just one simple but huge reason

both religion believes in the "Divine Command Theory"

that's one of the issues I have with all god based religion

Once you believe that Divine Command Theory is good you open yourself to a problem of not having ANY base to criticise other religion especially killings and destructions that many of their members are doing
But Christianity doesn't command to kill neither did Christ did. It only commands to be peaceful. So, you cant rope Christianity in.
Re: What Is Islamophobia? by hopefulLandlord: 1:29pm On Jan 26, 2017
alBHAGDADI:
But Christianity doesn't command to kill neither did Christ did. It only commands to be peaceful. So, you cant rope Christianity in.

you don't get it do you?

I'm not roping Christianity in, Christianity is ALREADY IN!!!

Let me ask you 2 simple questions, do you believe that anything your version of god orders is good?

could you possibly "disagree" with your god on anything?

what's your take on the divine command theory? is it valid?
Re: What Is Islamophobia? by alBHAGDADI: 1:58pm On Jan 26, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

you don't get it do you?

Let me ask you 2 simple questions, do you believe that anything your version of god orders is good?

Where did my God SPECIFICALLY command me to do evil?
Re: What Is Islamophobia? by hopefulLandlord: 2:00pm On Jan 26, 2017
alBHAGDADI:
Where did my God SPECIFICALLY command me to do evil?

bros, can you answer my questions and stop attempting to sidestep it?

anyways, I understand why you're sidestepping so if you think you have no answer to those questions asides sidestepping then this discussion can't go further
Re: What Is Islamophobia? by hopefulLandlord: 2:02pm On Jan 26, 2017
as for the Muslims

As an atheist, I have a question: Could a few muslims here provide me with a few of their favorite verses from the Quran? Ones that you find inspirational and which lead to reverence for the book and the prophet? I read the Quran some years ago, but don't remember much, and I gave up on a recent attempt because the first few suras seemed to be mainly condemnations of infidels...I'm sure there's better stuff in there

Thanks!

CC Friendchoice, Aminusanti,
Re: What Is Islamophobia? by alBHAGDADI: 2:05pm On Jan 26, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

bros, can you answer my questions and stop attempting to sidestep it?
Answer mine first. BtW, you haven't addressed the OP
Re: What Is Islamophobia? by alBHAGDADI: 2:06pm On Jan 26, 2017
hopefulLandlord:
as for the Muslims

As an atheist, I have a question: Could a few muslims here provide me with a few of their favorite verses from the Quran? Ones that you find inspirational and which lead to reverence for the book and the prophet? I read the Quran some years ago, but don't remember much, and I gave up on a recent attempt because the first few suras seemed to be mainly condemnations of infidels ...I'm sure there's better stuff in there

Thanks!

CC Friendchoice, Aminusanti,
@BOLD grin grin grin
Re: What Is Islamophobia? by hopefulLandlord: 2:09pm On Jan 26, 2017
alBHAGDADI:
Answer mine first. BtW, you haven't addressed the OP

my questions actually moves in steps of addressing the OP

BTW I asked my questions first

you don't get to answer my questions with a question then tell me to answer yours first, that's purely dishonest tactics

1 Like

Re: What Is Islamophobia? by alBHAGDADI: 2:14pm On Jan 26, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

my questions actually moves in steps of addressing the OP

BTW I asked my questions first

you don't get to answer my questions with a question then tell me to answer yours first, that's purely dishonest tactics
Face topic
Re: What Is Islamophobia? by hopefulLandlord: 2:27pm On Jan 26, 2017
alBHAGDADI:
Face topic

lol, if you think I'm not facing the topic then you're not so versed in the art of debate

I'm not going to give you the satisfaction of spilling the ace up my sleeve

you're dodging because the answers to my questions would expose the huge level of hypocrisy Christianity and Islam is totally made of

you dodge to fight another day

but if you're not dodging answer my questions

Let me ask you these simple questions, do you believe that anything your version of god orders is good?

1 Like

Re: What Is Islamophobia? by ilynem(m): 8:14pm On Jan 26, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

you don't get it do you?

Quick question. Where do you think morality comes from? What determines what is good and what is bad?
Re: What Is Islamophobia? by ilynem(m): 8:22pm On Jan 26, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

lol, if you think I'm not facing the topic then you're not so versed in the art of debate

I'm not going to give you the satisfaction of spilling the ace up my sleeve

you're dodging because the answers to my questions would expose the huge level of hypocrisy Christianity and Islam is totally made of

you dodge to fight another day

but if you're not dodging answer my questions

Let me ask you these simple questions, do you believe that anything your version of god orders is good?

God is not subjected to man's moral standard. He is the moral standard that we reference. And since He is good, he cannot command anything that is not Good. We are just too limited in out understanding to see all of His commands as good.

1 Like

Re: What Is Islamophobia? by Ranchhoddas: 8:32pm On Jan 26, 2017
alBHAGDADI:

Islamophobia is a word i hear almost everyday now, on the streets and in the news (mostly CNN, BBC and Aljazeera). Before we go into the meaning of Islamophobia, we have to first of all consider the fact that the word is a combination of 2 words- Islam and Phobia. We all know what Islam is, they call it a religion of peace. Phobia, on the other hand, means a fear of something

If am afraid of heights, I can say i have a phobia for heights. This means that i will always ensure that i stay off high grounds. If it is a fear of driving i have, i can say i have phobia for driving. This means that i will avoid ever driving.

To musims, Islamophobia means a fear of Islam, while Islamophobe is a person who has fear of islam in him. That is the name Muslims love to call anyone who speaks or criticizes islam genuinely. I believe they are using the word wrongly. If i say that I have a phobia for heights and am seen smiling while jumping off a flying helicopter with a parachute, can anyone believe that i have such phobia? No. Since Islamophobia is a fear of Islam, if i criticize Islam and someone calls me an islamophobe, the person needs to check himself for using the word wrongly. How can you call someone that challenges Islam an Islamophobe?

I believe the word Islamophobe should only be used on people who cant speak up against Islam's terrorism and backward ways due to fear of being beheaded or persecuted, not people who are bold enough and show no fear in challenging it
Your definition is incomplete. A phobia is defined as an irrational fear or AVERSION to something.
So you see, the word 'Islamophobe' fits you perfectly.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Islamophobia? by hopefulLandlord: 9:15pm On Jan 26, 2017
ilynem:

Quick question. Where do you think morality comes from? What determines what is good and what is bad?

if you can answer my questions, please do

asking a question as an answer to questions is an attempt as sidestepping the initial question

I have answers to your question BUT I'll withhold it till you answer mine first and that's a sensible thing to do in a debate otherwise it becomes entangled in too many unanswered questions

God is not subjected to man's moral standard. He is the moral standard that we reference. And since He is good, he cannot command anything that is not Good. We are just too limited in out understanding to see all of His commands as good.

this is evasive attempt, you've still not answered my questions

I wonder what's so extremely difficult in that question or why does it make our Christians so uncomfortable?

2 Likes

Re: What Is Islamophobia? by jonbellion(m): 9:21pm On Jan 26, 2017
alBHAGDADI:

[s]Islamophobia is a word i hear almost everyday now, on the streets and in the news (mostly CNN, BBC and Aljazeera). Before we go into the meaning of Islamophobia, we have to first of all consider the fact that the word is a combination of 2 words- Islam and Phobia. We all know what Islam is, they call it a religion of peace. Phobia, on the other hand, means a fear of something.

I believe the word Islamophobe should only be used on people who cant speak up against Islam's terrorism and backward ways due to fear of being beheaded or persecuted, not people who are bold enough and show no fear in challenging it.[/s]
lol you are an lslamophobe
You can criticise Islam without being an islamophobe which unfortunately you do not do. Pls don't compare religous criticism and islamophobia
Re: What Is Islamophobia? by hopefulLandlord: 9:25pm On Jan 26, 2017
jonbellion:
lol you are an lslamophobe
You can criticise Islam without being an islamophobe which unfortunately you do not do. Pls don't compare religous criticism and islamophobia

I'm actually asking Christians who are in a habit of criticising Islam the below questions

it seems all they can muster is answering it with questions of their own and not attempting to even directly answer it

the can of worms these questions would open is apparently too uncomfortable for them and they see it from a mile away

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is Islamophobia? by jonbellion(m): 9:31pm On Jan 26, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

I'm actually asking Christians who are in a habit of criticising Islam the below questions

it seems all they can muster is answering it with questions of their own and not attempting to even directly answer it

the can of worms these questions would open is apparently too uncomfortable for them and they see it from a mile away
lol I observed it cheesy
The op was trying to evade
Lmao
They shouldn't even be condemning Islam because if their god commanded them to di worse they would not see a problem undecided
Re: What Is Islamophobia? by lepasharon(f): 9:55pm On Jan 26, 2017
OP, ur a Hypocrite but anyway critising the Islamic religion is not islamaphobia, but antagonizing somebody because they are muslim is smiley

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Islamophobia? by lepasharon(f): 9:55pm On Jan 26, 2017

1 Like

Re: What Is Islamophobia? by lepasharon(f): 9:56pm On Jan 26, 2017
grin

Re: What Is Islamophobia? by jonbellion(m): 9:59pm On Jan 26, 2017
lepasharon:
OP, ur a Hypocrite but anyway critising the Islamic religion is not islamaphobia, but antagonizing somebody because they are muslim is smiley
the OP is a good example of that
He once made a statement that all Muslims are potential terrorists
That is clear cut proof

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Help Me To Interpret My Dream; I Do See Myself Fly / Salvation Ministries 5 Nights Of Glory Starts Today!!!!! / Understanding The Power Of Praise, Part 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.