Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,941 members, 7,817,760 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:49 PM

Abel's Journal 4 ( 3 Years On) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Abel's Journal 4 ( 3 Years On) (479 Views)

Love Is A Game By Onyeneke Abel / Novel: Caught In The Moment (house Of Earl Fashion) Written By: Onyeneke Abel / Novel: Life Of A Celebrity Written By Onyeneke Abel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Abel's Journal 4 ( 3 Years On) by jbgeorge: 7:33pm On Jan 28, 2017
Three Years On......
Parking my brand new Honda Accord Crosstour SUV,2014 model in my parking slot, I raced out of my car,heading for the elevator. I had a management meeting to attend by 10 am and I still had to finish up my slides for my presentation. Heading to the elevator,I was relieved I didn't have 'co passengers . I immediately punched the button to the fourth floor. Looking at my wrist watch,I realized it was 8:45 am. I had an hour fifteen minutes.
"Good morning sir" My PA greeted me as I jumped out of the elevator in a hurry at the same time handling her my brief case.
"Good morning Gloria,how was your weekend?"
" Very well sir and yours?" She asked matching my long strides to my office.
" Was busy all through preparing my slides and yet I have not rounded up"
"Anything I can help you with sir?" She asked as she rushed ahead of me to open the door leading to my tastefully furnished office.
"None at the moment dear". I said to her as I took my seat behind my desk. Gloria set my brief case on the desk and quickly I opened it to retrieve my laptop.
'I will be at my desk if you need me sir"
"Alright Gloria" I said to her as she took her leave. I relaxed back in my extra soft and comfy executive chair wondering how I was going to start my presentation. Looking at my wrist watch again,I realized I had an hour and five minutes. At this juncture I am so tempted to pause and spend a little time telling you how my last three years have been. Here it goes....

Over the last three years,I have been so busy with my professional career. I decided not to get involved with any woman again, I had been hurt so bad,the pain was still so fresh. I had loved so hard that I felt I had no love to give anymore. So I started a relationship with ICAN instead and became a Chartered Accountant. When I started working with D W Anderson, I started as a junior accountant, working in the book keeping department,where I handled bookkeeping services for clients such as account payable and receivable,billing,payroll,monthly and quarterly taxes,bank reconciliations,general ledger entries and monthly trial balances. Sometimes I helped generate financial statements.
When I became a Chartered Accountant, I was promoted to the accounting department. In my department, we help clients create budgets,perfect financial statements, prepare local,state and federal tax returns.

Last year I was made the chief auditor of my department,in my department we perfect financial statements, prepare local,state and federal tax returns. We also offer audit and business valuation services,monitor depreciation of assets and help clients determine cash flow needs. We also specialize in setting up computer accounting systems.
Three years on the job, I have come to learn a whole lot, I am a whole new brand in the field of accounting and I am so loving it. In the future, I hope to do more of consulting focusing on managing financial investments just like what my boss does currently. He is a guru in this field with nearly forty years experience in accounting, with numerous certifications to his credit. He goes in and out of government establishments as he pleases, handling various projects for them. As a certified government financial manager(CGFMs), my boss mainly works with the federal,state and local government.

I mustn't fail to mention how honored I am to be a part of the leading accounting firms in the country with about twenty branches across the federation. So being so busy,I had hardly had the time to think of a relationship. Don't get me wrong,I have in the course of my job seen and being around some really beautiful women, some had even made passes at me but I just can't bring myself to fall in love again.
My ringing intercom chased me out of my thoughts......
"Hello Jude" I said into the receiver, recognizing the caller's number. Jude and I have in the space of time become such good friends, he is married with three lovely kids.
"Guy how far? How was your weekend?"
"Busy with my presentation all through,yours?"
"Same but I was able to round up early hours of Sunday,my wife warned me not to allow it affect our Sunday routine" he replied laughing
"I just need to put some finishing touches to mine and I will be good to go"
"You mean an entire weekend wasn't enough for you to finish up? Guy tell me the truth what were you up to? Who is she?" He asked still laughing
" Nahhhh, no she in the matter,guess I was just lazy"
"That's why I always tell you that you have to settle down my guy,if you had a woman at home, she surely would have made you finish up your presentation"
" Here you go again, I don't need to be married to do what I have got to do"
" Oluchi really did something to you" he said sounding sad
"I will just round up and head to the conference room" I said to him as I punched some keys on my keyboard, I didn't want to talk about Oluchi, not now,not ever.
"Okay, we have thirty minutes"
"Alright, thanks"
"Don't be late Guy" he said as he hung up.

It was 9:50 am when my boss walked into the conference room with the same lady I had been seeing him with for two weeks. I placed her age to be twenty six,twenty seven. Bespectacled and of average height. Not fat not slim. Not so beautiful but okay,at least presentable . We had never said a word to each other the few times our path had crossed,I had looked at her as a snub,full of pride. Her clothes were simple but looked expensive. The scent of her perfume traveled round the room.
I stole a glance at her as she took her seat next to our big boss.Could she be his daughter? I knew nothing of my boss' family,no one mentioned them and I had never bothered to ask any one. I scanned their faces for some resemblance but saw none.
" Alright ladies and gentlemen" came my boss' husky voice. "A good Monday morning to you all,hope you all enjoyed your weekend?" He asked as he looked around him.
" Yes sir" we all chorused "And you sir?" Mrs Hassan the company's general manager asked on our behalf.
" it was extremely busy as usual,I had to fly to Abuja on Saturday for a meeting with some government officials,the meeting didn't end that day as we had hoped,it extended through Sunday to the early hours of this morning, 2 am to be precise "
"Are you serious sir?" I was forced to ask him,there was no sign of tiredness written on his face.
" I came straight here from the airport " he said in a matter of fact voice.
"How do you do it sir? How do you manage the stress?" Jude asked in admiration.
" its being forty long years Jude in this profession of ours, a long time enough to learn stress management" he answered with a smile.
" You will need to go home early to rest boss" Kunle,his PA said.
" I have a meeting at the government house by 2 pm,afterwards I will head home,thanks for caring guys, now let's start shall we?"
"Okay sir" we all chorused again
" Before we begin,let me introduce you all to Ella,majority of you don't know her,she has visited here a few times,she will be working with me, in my absence she represents me,you know these old bones of mine are not getting younger,soon I will have to go behind the scene" he said as he gave Ela a smile. "Her office is adjacent to mine"
"You are welcome madam" A few of us said.
"Thank you very much guys" Ella said in the most sweetest British accent I have ever heard. " Here we are one big family and we must stay united for the continued smooth running of this establishment that spans over two decades. Its my utmost desire to work closely with you all in your various departments,so I can be abreast with what has been happening here and also get to know you all better, thank you so much once again and I sincerely look forward to working with you all" she said conclusively as we all applauded.
" Nice one Ella" My boss said aa he gave her a light pat on her back."Alright to the reason we are here,who goes first?" My boss asked as he made himself more comfortable on his chair.
" I sir" Mrs. Hassan said as she got to her feet.

The presentations lasted less than three hours, just In time for our lunch break. I and Jude marched like two hungry soldiers to our cafeteria and immediately ordered for our usual menu.
" So we technically have a new boss" Jude said breaking the silence as he sent his ball of semo to the underworld, washing it down with a chilled bottle of coke.
"Looks like it" I said in reply as I rolled my fufu into a ball,dipping it into my bowl of egusi soup,I sent it to where it belonged.
" I expected the boss' daughter to be beautiful you know"
" Is there a specific way a boss' daughter should look?" I asked as I laughed,sometimes Jude could really talk stupid.
"I was expecting a more beautiful woman,I think she's fat and I have never being a fan of dark skinned girls maybe that's why I don't find her attractive" he said as he swallowed one ball after another.
"Well she's not really fat,just in between,besides she's got brains,what's beauty without brains?" I asked as I licked the soup off my fingers.
"Beauty goes with brains my friend,anyway as you said she got brains,it seems she's the one to take over the baton of the company,surely you must have brains to handle such an establishment at a young age "
" I agree with you Jude"
"But frankly speaking, she's not my spec, fair skinned ladies are the bomb!" He exclaimed.
" Your wife is proof enough right?" I asked as I stared at him.
"You can say that again,I will marry that woman over and over again guy,fair skinned,beautiful,brilliant, what else could a man ask for? Look at the beautiful kids she gave me"
"Well your wife is beautiful no doubt about that but every woman is beautiful in her own unique way"
" Tell me truthfully guy,is she your spec?"
"I don't like proud women,I see her to be that and snubish too"
" Well,I haven't noticed that,will be on the look out, I wonder why she couldn't work on her complexion with all her money"
"Jude,are you suggesting she bleaches her skin?" I asked him in surprise.
"There are other ways than bleaching,she just needs to walk into a beauty parlour,she has the money"
"Not every lady must be fair skinned Jude and can we stop talking about her?" I asked as I was tired of the same topic.
"Seems the boss doesn't have a son" Jude said in a bid to changing the topic.
"You should know better,you have been here longer than me Jude" I told him as I drank my glass of cold juice. Now I felt well satisfied, I had skipped breakfast earlier.
"I know nothing personal of our boss and he doesn't share"
"Does he even have the time for that,the man is a busy bee" I said as I got to my feet,it was almost break over. If I hadn't done that,Jude was ready to spend the entire hours of work left,gisting or will I say gossiping? Never have I met a man like him.
"Back to work" he said as he got to his feet,realizing I had given up on our discussion. Together we walked out of the cafeteria.

Two heavy knocks on my desk abruptly brought an end to my nap. Looking up and standing right before me was boss lady,I hadn't heard her come into my office,she had caught me sleeping on the job.
"Mr. Abel,you were sleeping on duty" she said as she crossed her arms over her chest.
"Good afternoon Miss Ella" I decided to show courtesy by greeting since she hadn't any and besides did she knock before entering into my office or she just barged it? I could only wonder.
"You were sleeping on duty" she said again without reciprocating the greeting.
"Good afternoon " I said to her again,she could be the boss' daughter but I am also a superior staff I said to myself.
"Its unethical to sleep on the job Mr. Abel" she said sternly as she adjusted her spectacle with a finger. What's wrong with this girl? I wondered.
"And its unethical not to respond to a greeting" I told her,matching her stern look and at the same time getting a better look at her. Yes,She's no beauty queen but not bad looking either. Not a fair skinned lady but the dark complexion she had was well maintained....shinning.
"Good afternoon Mr. Abel, I won't have my staff sleeping on the job"
"Your staff?" I was forced to ask as I burst out in laughter.
"You can laugh all you want Mr. Abel but that's what you are,my staff!"
"Okay Madam but could the madam be caring enough to know why her staff is sleeping on the job?" I asked as I got up to look down at her, 'short lady' I said to my myself.
"Whatever may be wrong with you gives you no reason to sleep,I knocked severally and there was no response that was why I had invited myself in"
"Well Madam,I am no machine but a human like you" opening my drawer,I brought out a small white nylon containing my malaria drugs. "I have been down with malaria for a week now and I have been on these medications" I said as I raised the nylon higher to meet her gaze."And if you don't know,such drugs could have an adverse effect on people,I am no exception,I grew dizzy after taking them and fell asleep. If you care,you can ask around,I am one of the most hand working staff in this organization and my hard work brought me this far. I could have called in sick,stay back at home and relax but no, I came to work because I have a department to run,people are counting on me,looking up to me. That's how much I love this company, so much that I sacrifice staying back at home to be here despite being sick!" I said to her,she got the message,saw the annoyance that had welled up as I had spoken to her.
"Sorry" she muttered,did an about turn and walked out of my office,leaving her scent behind.
My God,she has been here less than a month and already being so bossy? What was in store for us in D W Anderson? For me,in the hands of this woman especially now that I may have entered her black book? Only time could tell.

The story continues shortly...

(1) (Reply)

You Are Your Obstacle (A Must Read) / Kidnap Story Of A Multi Billionaire Child / Heroes ( A Poem )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.