Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,667 members, 7,816,738 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:04 PM

Bad Habits Christians Should Drop - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Bad Habits Christians Should Drop (20804 Views)

5 Reasons Christians Should Share Testimonies In Church - Tunde Korede / 10 Things Christians Should Avoid In Church For Their Own Good. / 6 Bad Habits Christians Have To Drop With Immediate Effect (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bad Habits Christians Should Drop by Richy4(m): 8:49am On Jan 29, 2017
pressplay411:
In short, you're saying they should stop being Christians.

I love your sarcasm grin
Re: Bad Habits Christians Should Drop by charlesucheh(m): 9:02am On Jan 29, 2017
Apple1992:
Christians are known for doing some good things: helping the poor, feeding the hungry, caring for the sick, uplifting the downtrodden, fighting for justice and many other feats of love.
But Christians also own a poor reputation for numerous bad habits. Here are six things we must stop doing

BEING JUDGEMENTAL

One of the few sins Jesus repeatedly warns His followers not to do is be judgmental.
Despite this, many Christians mistakenly assume that withholding judgment is a form of accepting, condoning and even affirming sin. But judgment from Christians doesn’t determine whether a particular belief, action or lifestyle is either wrong or righteous in the eyes of God.

PREDICTING THE FUTURE

The Gospel message of Christ’s love is often overshadowed by misguided Christians who make predictions and “prophecies” about political affairs, planetary alignments, environmental phenomena, current events, natural disasters, the Antichrist, End Times and the Apocalypse.

POSTING GARBAGE ON SOCIAL MEDIA

The clickbait links, offensive political memes, self-righteous condemnations of others, bitter theological rants, and out-of-context Bible excerpts cause more harm than good.
Posting vitriolic, superficial, and offensive content on our Facebook feeds and Twitter accounts doesn’t glorify God. Before posting anything, stop and think: “Is this true, helpful, inspiring, necessary and kind?”

BEING HYPOCRITICAL

It’s easy to talk about God, argue theological issues and post about faith issues on all sorts of communication platforms. But in order to follow Christ, we are required to actually put our words into actions. As the old adage goes, we must practice what we preach.Unfortunately, too many Christians talk about Christ’s love without actually being loving. Meanwhile, the rest of world witnesses this obvious contradiction and simply stops listening.

OVERCOMPLICATING THE LOVE OF JESUS

There comes a point, unfortunately, in the Christian journey when many start to feel bored, unfulfilled and dissatisfied with the unglamorous task of loving others.
It’s very hard work to follow Jesus. It requires sacrifice, humility, service, patience, forgiveness and lots of love. It can be tempting—and much easier—to focus on specific parts of the Bible that don’t require as much endurance, are more flashy, will draw more attention and will instill a greater sense of excitement.
So some of us create a “Christian” platform that becomes our passion. A political agenda, social cause, moral practice or specific theological belief can become central to our faith—overtaking Jesus’ command to love others as yourself. Thus, we get people who will practically fight to the death over things such as Calvinism, infant baptism and various other causes and doctrines. In and of themselves these things aren’t necessarily bad—everyone has their own convictions about theological issues—but when things are prioritized above Christ’s love, it leads to idolization.

BEING CLOSEMINDED

The problems listed above are often caused by being closed-minded not considering, acknowledging or even dialoguing with the infinite amount of diverse factors that exist beyond our own limited experiences.

HAPPY SUNDAY ALL.
Lalasticlala, mynd44.
LALA! In as much as you have love for "SNAKE" meat, it still helps in eliciting the truth from you!!! Happy Sunday to you too!
Re: Bad Habits Christians Should Drop by Jpierre: 9:43am On Jan 29, 2017
What will you say about all ds branch church members who are being asked not to marry a catholic
Re: Bad Habits Christians Should Drop by Codes151(m): 10:07am On Jan 29, 2017
Firstly, are you a Christian?? Cuz obviously na thing kind garbage your mods they like put for fp! Secondly, this habit makes Christians have morals! So rather y not post bad habits other religion should refute from, I gues they will need it more!
Re: Bad Habits Christians Should Drop by Codes151(m): 10:11am On Jan 29, 2017
I still wonder why Christianity always entertain critics n u guys really enjoy jumping into this trend to comment! This platform as well as its mods are hypocrites cuz lays I check, before u will jump into a thread concerning Muhammad or Islam u need to accept a term! Well since I can't I don't bother! So mr lama or lala n brothers! Since I can't comment freely on a thread about Islam, I guess Muslims should comment either on anything about Christianity! Una know say my mouth they always run o!!! Before Una ban me again just cuz I said make Una edit book
Re: Bad Habits Christians Should Drop by hopefulLandlord: 12:49pm On Jan 29, 2017
Wilgrea7:

you didn't seem to understand what he said.. reading the bible with an open mind and being open minded to other opinions are two different things.. being open minded to other beliefs doesn't mean you must discard yours.. I'm open minded to other beliefs but I'm still a Christian.. some beliefs do make sense... being open minded to an atheist doesn't really yield anything.. cuz the only contribution you guys give here on nl is just to attack beliefs and not to teach your view..

not all Christians are interested in using the bible to narrate stories of the past... i would've said more... but for the sake of fundamentalists.. i will hold my peace

nice one

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bad Habits Christians Should Drop by pressplay411(m): 12:52pm On Jan 29, 2017
GuDErboY:
You are permitted to share with your church members please:

LATENESS TO CHURCH
--------------------------------
Ever since I was born, I have not seen many people arrived late to the airport when the person is travelling. In fact, when the plane is taking off at 11:00pm, the person will be at the airport by 7:00pm, wow! That's how much people value travelling overseas. But on a Sunday morning when Church has long begun that's when you see men and women with 'swag' gliding like pregnant serpents to Church, they know they are late, but because they have a new armani suit on and the latest michael kors bag, they want everyone to see it. Church starts at 7:00 or 8:00am, but people will come at 10:00am, why? They think praise and worship is for the uncivilized. Just take the test to call them on Monday at 5:30am, you'll realise they are already on their way to work and some will be there already.

Know this today, anytime you go to Church one minute late, you have NOT attended Church at all. There is a register of God, where angels record the name of those who come on time, and you'll be surprised that in Heaven they will tell you, you never attended Church. If Christ is saying 'where two or three are gathered, I'm in their midst', you think He comes late?
The time you give is the time He keeps.
What does it mean to arrive late to Church
1) Disrespect to Christ
2) Betrayal of Christ
3) Disregard to the Church and the Pastor
4) Interruption of an eternal Program

Now consider all these, and tell me they have not sin. Remember, Eternity's Flight is not a flight taking you to overseas, it's a flight taking you to Heaven. Don't miss it!

There are a lot of people who are, planning to go to Church late this coming Sunday. Let this message hit them. God bless!

Most of us are guilty of this! Let's make a change of attitude, starting from this sunday!

You're the perfect slave to the church.
You made no mention of God, just loyalty to your pastor and Christ. Wow, just wow.
Re: Bad Habits Christians Should Drop by Okies27(m): 1:10pm On Jan 29, 2017
Apple1992:
Christians are known for doing some good things: helping the poor, feeding the hungry, caring for the sick, uplifting the downtrodden, fighting for justice and many other feats of love.
But Christians also own a poor reputation for numerous bad habits. Here are six things we must stop doing

BEING JUDGEMENTAL

One of the few sins Jesus repeatedly warns His followers not to do is be judgmental.
Despite this, many Christians mistakenly assume that withholding judgment is a form of accepting, condoning and even affirming sin. But judgment from Christians doesn’t determine whether a particular belief, action or lifestyle is either wrong or righteous in the eyes of God.

PREDICTING THE FUTURE

The Gospel message of Christ’s love is often overshadowed by misguided Christians who make predictions and “prophecies” about political affairs, planetary alignments, environmental phenomena, current events, natural disasters, the Antichrist, End Times and the Apocalypse.

POSTING GARBAGE ON SOCIAL MEDIA

The clickbait links, offensive political memes, self-righteous condemnations of others, bitter theological rants, and out-of-context Bible excerpts cause more harm than good.
Posting vitriolic, superficial, and offensive content on our Facebook feeds and Twitter accounts doesn’t glorify God. Before posting anything, stop and think: “Is this true, helpful, inspiring, necessary and kind?”

BEING HYPOCRITICAL

It’s easy to talk about God, argue theological issues and post about faith issues on all sorts of communication platforms. But in order to follow Christ, we are required to actually put our words into actions. As the old adage goes, we must practice what we preach.Unfortunately, too many Christians talk about Christ’s love without actually being loving. Meanwhile, the rest of world witnesses this obvious contradiction and simply stops listening.

OVERCOMPLICATING THE LOVE OF JESUS

There comes a point, unfortunately, in the Christian journey when many start to feel bored, unfulfilled and dissatisfied with the unglamorous task of loving others.
It’s very hard work to follow Jesus. It requires sacrifice, humility, service, patience, forgiveness and lots of love. It can be tempting—and much easier—to focus on specific parts of the Bible that don’t require as much endurance, are more flashy, will draw more attention and will instill a greater sense of excitement.
So some of us create a “Christian” platform that becomes our passion. A political agenda, social cause, moral practice or specific theological belief can become central to our faith—overtaking Jesus’ command to love others as yourself. Thus, we get people who will practically fight to the death over things such as Calvinism, infant baptism and various other causes and doctrines. In and of themselves these things aren’t necessarily bad—everyone has their own convictions about theological issues—but when things are prioritized above Christ’s love, it leads to idolization.

BEING CLOSEMINDED

The problems listed above are often caused by being closed-minded not considering, acknowledging or even dialoguing with the infinite amount of diverse factors that exist beyond our own limited experiences.

HAPPY SUNDAY ALL.
Lalasticlala, mynd44.
. Lots of you jump to criticize Christians when you see post like this. Remove the planks from your eyes before criticizing. You are not a Christian but always the first to throw stones. What do you call that? Leave us to worry about ourselves and the places of worship we go to .
Re: Bad Habits Christians Should Drop by Themandator: 1:20pm On Jan 29, 2017
ITbomb:
Stop worshiping your pastor or GO, they are not greater than Apostle Paul that got his ministry directly from Christ yet he made tent along with the brethren to support his stay with them

Worst with Orthodox Church were the head is called father like is he your father or you don't know who your mother had you by
Re: Bad Habits Christians Should Drop by Nobody: 1:26pm On Jan 29, 2017
Okies27:
. Lots of you jump to criticize Christians when you see post like this. Remove the planks from your eyes before criticizing. You are not a Christian but always the first to throw stones. What do you call that? Leave us to worry about ourselves and the places of worship we go to .

who tells you am not a Christian? And whats wrong with what i just write? is like you are guilty of all what i listed there.
Re: Bad Habits Christians Should Drop by Okies27(m): 1:39pm On Jan 29, 2017
Apple1992:

who tells you am not a Christian? And whats wrong with what i just write? is like you are guilty of all what i listed there.
. Read my comment properly, son, before your cojones gets hot. It's for those who jump to criticize Christians when they see post like yours.
Re: Bad Habits Christians Should Drop by xerxes456(m): 5:36pm On Jan 29, 2017
Being Judgemental is been taken out of context dis days, Bible says Iron sharpens Iron... forsake not the assembly of one another... if you see your brother going astray and refuse to warn him, his blood will be required at your hand... today people just fight anybody that warns them when they are going wrong and then hide behind the curtain of... "judge not that ye may not be judged" what is judgement? Judgement is a complete package which includes identifying a fault, and punishing the offender... like the case of the woman accused of marrying several husbands in the Bible, the pharisees judged her... but Christ rebuke them, he didn't condemn her, he forgave her, but for him to forgive that means he identified her wrong doing... so a wrong doing can be identified, the offender can be corrected in love, but punishment is God's duty not ours... when a fellow believer corrects or rebukes you, he isn't judging you, but if you feel that way, just know that you are building defences and you've gone far from the faith... you're lost...
Re: Bad Habits Christians Should Drop by xerxes456(m): 5:42pm On Jan 29, 2017
OP just typed a whole lot of crap here, Christianity goes far beyond all that you're complaining about here, There's so much to learn Mr poster...
Re: Bad Habits Christians Should Drop by Guddyever(f): 7:26pm On Jan 29, 2017
xerxes456:
Being Judgemental is been taken out of context dis days, Bible says Iron sharpens Iron... forsake not the assembly of one another... if you see your brother going astray and refuse to warn him, his blood will be required at your hand... today people just fight anybody that warns them when they are going wrong and then hide behind the curtain of... "judge not that ye may not be judged" what is judgement? Judgement is a complete package which includes identifying a fault, and punishing the offender... like the case of the woman accused of marrying several husbands in the Bible, the pharisees judged her... but Christ rebuke them, he didn't condemn her, he forgave her, but for him to forgive that means he identified her wrong doing... so a wrong doing can be identified, the offender can be corrected in love, but punishment is God's duty not ours... when a fellow believer corrects or rebukes you, he isn't judging you, but if you feel that way, just know that you are building defences and you've gone far from the faith... you're lost...

Thanks for this piece. It makes a whole lot of sence.
Please can I share ?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Letter from King Leopold II of Belgium to Colonial Missionaries, 1883 / Fufeyin Makes Prophecies With Colours, Insignia, Drawings In Cloths (Video) / Paying Tithe To Widows And Orphans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.