Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,543 members, 7,812,697 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:42 PM

Burning Shrines, Eating Bibles, Killing Christians And Other Issues - Opinion - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Burning Shrines, Eating Bibles, Killing Christians And Other Issues - Opinion (16146 Views)

China Shuts Down Christian Churches, Destroys Crosses, Burn Bibles / Three Catholic Priests Die In Anambra Community After Burning Of Shrines. Photos / El-rufai Must Produce Herdsmen He Paid To Stop Killing Christians –  suleman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Burning Shrines, Eating Bibles, Killing Christians And Other Issues - Opinion by martineverest(m): 8:14pm On Jan 31, 2017
Sunnycliff:
What would have happened, of it was the Koran that was eaten and shred in pieces?
y wud u rip another religion holy book apart,if not for trouble?
Re: Burning Shrines, Eating Bibles, Killing Christians And Other Issues - Opinion by strenghtt: 8:17pm On Jan 31, 2017
Angered ke!!! shocked He didn't anger any Christian by tearing the Bible if he like burn nam follow no Christian will call for his head instead they will let him face God's wrath unlike a self proclaimed " religion of peace " that I know they would have called for his head. angry
Re: Burning Shrines, Eating Bibles, Killing Christians And Other Issues - Opinion by Ezedon(m): 8:17pm On Jan 31, 2017
Bubu's demise is causing commotion all over the country
Re: Burning Shrines, Eating Bibles, Killing Christians And Other Issues - Opinion by Kowor(f): 8:18pm On Jan 31, 2017
kropotkin2:
The average Nigerian Christian is a disgusting hypocrite
Re: Burning Shrines, Eating Bibles, Killing Christians And Other Issues - Opinion by Mrkikago: 8:19pm On Jan 31, 2017
Ok
Re: Burning Shrines, Eating Bibles, Killing Christians And Other Issues - Opinion by CXLVII: 8:19pm On Jan 31, 2017
lovat:
We are talking about DSS bias against Christians and you have time to write about A mad boy that feels eating the bible will cure his madness.

Now you want this piece to be moved to FP. Who dey tidy ur life like dis bros

Make a point and stop exposing your mental state.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Burning Shrines, Eating Bibles, Killing Christians And Other Issues - Opinion by onyeks14(m): 8:20pm On Jan 31, 2017
Christains burning shrines since 230 BC
Re: Burning Shrines, Eating Bibles, Killing Christians And Other Issues - Opinion by salabscholar01(m): 8:22pm On Jan 31, 2017
ok
Re: Burning Shrines, Eating Bibles, Killing Christians And Other Issues - Opinion by strenghtt: 8:24pm On Jan 31, 2017
fratermathy:
A young man angered many Christians recently when he uploaded a video of himself apparently eating a bible and cursing Reverend Father Emmanuel Obimma (Ebube Muonso)

Angered ke!!! shocked He didn't anger any Christian by tearing the Bible if he like burn nam follow no Christian will call for his head instead they will let him face God's wrath unlike a self proclaimed " religion of peace " that I know they would have called for his head. angry

2 Likes

Re: Burning Shrines, Eating Bibles, Killing Christians And Other Issues - Opinion by Nobody: 8:24pm On Jan 31, 2017
Even though I'm a Christian,,,,,
I hate some of stupid religious acts

Esp. we Christians,,,,,, hypocritical in nature undecided

2 Likes

Re: Burning Shrines, Eating Bibles, Killing Christians And Other Issues - Opinion by mich24(m): 8:25pm On Jan 31, 2017
Making sense, one bottle of hero for you

Re: Burning Shrines, Eating Bibles, Killing Christians And Other Issues - Opinion by Cire80: 8:26pm On Jan 31, 2017
I'm a Christian but I don't support burning of shrine except with the consent of the worshipper of the shrine maybe after repentance. Another instance where a shrine can be burnt is if the some very bad diabolical sacrifices involving human sacrifices are involved. In this case, the police need to be involved in the destruction before the Pastors do the subsequent spiritual cleansing.

But it's not fair to equate killing of Christians with burning of shrine. Even if you're a pagan, the disparity is too wide. Christians burning shrine doesn't happen all the time and most times and I've never heard of anybody being killed as a result of it.

And no Christian gives a fck if you order a truck load of Bible with your money and burn it. Christians don't fight for God. The last time I checked, there are many people going online to tear Bible or smoke with Bible, I never seen anybody take it upon themselves to fight them

3 Likes

Re: Burning Shrines, Eating Bibles, Killing Christians And Other Issues - Opinion by Richielol: 8:28pm On Jan 31, 2017
What's nigeria turning into?
Re: Burning Shrines, Eating Bibles, Killing Christians And Other Issues - Opinion by daneni1(m): 8:44pm On Jan 31, 2017
I have come to realise that many a person who religion have eaten deep to their sense of reasoning are hypocritical in nature. Most don't practice what dey preach.

The problem is every religion portray their religion as d religion of light and others aside theirs do not possess any light
Re: Burning Shrines, Eating Bibles, Killing Christians And Other Issues - Opinion by Agimor(m): 8:45pm On Jan 31, 2017
Brb... Chelsea Liverpool calling.....
Re: Burning Shrines, Eating Bibles, Killing Christians And Other Issues - Opinion by TeamSimple(m): 8:52pm On Jan 31, 2017
Cool
Re: Burning Shrines, Eating Bibles, Killing Christians And Other Issues - Opinion by TeamSimple(m): 8:54pm On Jan 31, 2017
daneni1:
I have come to realise that many a person who religion have eaten deep to their sense of reasoning are hypocritical in nature. Most don't practice what dey preach.

The problem is every religion portray their religion as d religion of light and others aside theirs do not possess any light
God bless you

1 Like

Re: Burning Shrines, Eating Bibles, Killing Christians And Other Issues - Opinion by oglalasioux(m): 9:08pm On Jan 31, 2017
Anything religion, be it modern or ancient, is counter productive.

The so called African traditional religion is a joke on itself. Shrines that didn't give us any clue about malaria until the coming of the white man.
Re: Burning Shrines, Eating Bibles, Killing Christians And Other Issues - Opinion by Rapmoney(m): 9:18pm On Jan 31, 2017
One of the best threads I have read this year!!! cool

1 Like

Re: Burning Shrines, Eating Bibles, Killing Christians And Other Issues - Opinion by CodeHouse: 9:37pm On Jan 31, 2017
fratermathy:

I await your reply oniovo.

Oshare, oniovo me..I see you smiley

1 Like

Re: Burning Shrines, Eating Bibles, Killing Christians And Other Issues - Opinion by ipodstinks: 10:07pm On Jan 31, 2017
Later they will come here and say they are Israelites grin. Flattiessss.
Re: Burning Shrines, Eating Bibles, Killing Christians And Other Issues - Opinion by lastpage: 10:16pm On Jan 31, 2017
lovat:
i am mad

You and yours wasted your vote by voting the clueless one............ now you are being a real Eediot, for asking for change!

Did you even pay a kobo?

Lastpage!
Re: Burning Shrines, Eating Bibles, Killing Christians And Other Issues - Opinion by oddessey007(m): 10:23pm On Jan 31, 2017
Segadem:

u can't do dat with gods of iron (ogun) or gods of thunder (amadioha or Sango)it is instant judgement but our Almighty is a GOD of patience, that's why we Yoruba call him; Adake d'ajo (that is, The God that delivers judgement without verbal or audible utterances)

Hmmmm, but if it is Quran, u know the the answer now, why u dhey ask?
Kindly tell us what will happen when if its the Quran. Average reasoning of a typical Nigerian, the thread is all about religious tolerance and the op took his time to encourage the need for tolerance regardless of our religious affiliations. If you can't add meaningful thought don't add fuel to the fire. Omoluabi I remain....... Peace.
Re: Burning Shrines, Eating Bibles, Killing Christians And Other Issues - Opinion by oddessey007(m): 10:26pm On Jan 31, 2017
ipodstinks:
Later they will come here and say they are Israelites grin. Flattiessss.
What do you gain calling others names, tribe, language and religion is free. Don't be a bad Omoluabi, remember charity begins at home.
Re: Burning Shrines, Eating Bibles, Killing Christians And Other Issues - Opinion by oddessey007(m): 10:27pm On Jan 31, 2017
daneni1:

God will grant you more in everything you ever wish for in you life.
Re: Burning Shrines, Eating Bibles, Killing Christians And Other Issues - Opinion by oddessey007(m): 10:32pm On Jan 31, 2017
oglalasioux:
Anything religion, be it modern or ancient, is counter productive.

The so called African traditional religion is a joke on itself. Shrines that didn't give us any clue about malaria until the coming of the white man.
The so called shrine was the man thing before the advent of foreign religion yet people lived happily then. Religion don't cure malaria, I think if it does, government needs to build more churches and mosques instead of Hospitals.
Re: Burning Shrines, Eating Bibles, Killing Christians And Other Issues - Opinion by fromnigeria(m): 10:34pm On Jan 31, 2017
fratermathy:
A young man angered many Christians recently when he uploaded a video of himself apparently eating a bible and cursing Reverend Father Emmanuel Obimma (Ebube Muonso) for burning a shrine at Ekwulobia, Anambra State. I understand that many people were provoked by religious sentiments in their response to the young man's obviously senseless act. However, I wish to state the objective facts of the matter, not as a Christian or as an adherent of any traditional religion, but as a Nigerian and a cultural activist.

1. No shrine should be burnt by ANYONE under any guise whatsoever. We need to learn religious tolerance (yes, traditional religion is RECOGNISED in Nigeria as a religion). No one gave any person the right to burn another man's place of worship, however fetish it may be perceived. This is especially if the shrine is a communal one. Why don't they go about burning mosques for the same reason? Is it because the traditional worshippers are few, scared and lack political connections? Fulani herdsmen are killing Christians in the country and nothing is being done. Southern Kaduna has become a wasteland where the horrors of the holocaust is re-lived by the inhabitants. The so-called pastors and Christian religious leaders have not spoken out for Christians to defend themselves. They have also not torched any mosque or even verbally castigated the senseless murders. Some have had their own pastors killed and they couldn't even say anything about it. Why do they flex muscles over peaceful shrine goers? Are they the threat to Christianity?

2. Eating a bible or tearing it is counterproductive because it means nothing and does not equate the crime committed against the shrine. Burning a church may be the best way to go in this regard (if an eye is to equal an eye). However, arson is a crime under the law and the law of the land must be respected at all cost. The bible eater should have taken the legal path by sueing the so-called pastor and his church to court for arson and wanton destruction of a religious place (and a cultural heritage site as well). As far as I am concerned, his act is counterproductive, not vengeful enough, and done simply for show.

3. No one should support the burning of the shrine or the eating of a bible. It is best to be objective and not allow religious sentiments to becloud judgement in this instance. Imagine if a church is burnt by adherents of a traditional religion? Christians will cry with rage and shout "foul play"! People will be arrested, investigations made, prison sentences passed, and many more. However, because it is a traditional religious shrine that has been burnt, no Christian or Muslim cares. After all, it is a "pagan" religion! Who gave anyone the moral justification to judge what is to be burnt or not? Why can't we do unto others, what we want them to do unto us?

Whether Christian or not, we have to be tolerant and do things to support harmony. Gone are those days when "demon destroyers" and the likes burn cultural artefacts, religious places, etc, and destroy grooves, natural habitats, etc, in the name of whatever. Just because you don't believe in something doesn't mean you should destroy it. You may preach against it but leave it at that. Even if the adherents have "repented" and no longer practise the religion, they have no right to destroy the shrines. It is better they leave it to grow weeds and when someone, for whatever reason, may want to study or worship in the shrine, it will be accessible once the weeds are cleared. Just for emphasis, I reiterate that burning the bible is counterproductive and shouldn't be supported as well. Any objective mind would know that a legal means (arresting the pastor) would have sent a stronger message.

Let Christians face their contemporary realities of terrorism and systematic cleansing rather than pay attention to traditional worshippers and their shrines. If the same energy which pastors put in burning shrines and "casting demons" is put into helping Christians at this time of persecution and slaughter, it would go a long way, at least to give hope to people. If the pastors and prophets who catch witches and wizards, break yokes of poverty, collect fat tithes and offerings, stay in mansions and fly private jets, etc, transfer their attention to the plights of Christians being persecuted daily by herdsmen, it would go a long way. If radicalism and terrorism has come to stay, defensive Christianity must evolve to match it.

I pray it doesn't become too late before your eyes really opens up to see and know the trruth.
Re: Burning Shrines, Eating Bibles, Killing Christians And Other Issues - Opinion by oglalasioux(m): 10:42pm On Jan 31, 2017
oddessey007:

The so called shrine was the man thing before the advent of foreign religion yet people lived happily then. Religion don't cure malaria, I think if it does, government needs to build more churches and mosques instead of Hospitals.

I concur. My very thoughts.

So what's the good of religion? What has it added to mankind positively?

The answer is nothing except perhaps catapulting us back to the stone ages.

2 Likes

Re: Burning Shrines, Eating Bibles, Killing Christians And Other Issues - Opinion by gawu1: 10:51pm On Jan 31, 2017
LynnPetra:
Nigeria is a secular state and even as a christian, I still respect traditional religion better than other religion.

Christians tolerates ,exactly why that guys head still sits perfectly on his neck! smiley smiley
''Christians tolerates'' by burning others' place of worship? Is that tolerance? Not in this instance at least. For God sake, the pastor was the assailant. The man's reaction commensurated not with what the pastor did. You should thank God that the adherence of the shrine are few in number, if not the reaction would definitely have been devastating. It might not have been eating a bible alone, most churches might have been set ablazed in retaliation. Let any pastor tries muslims places of worship.

1 Like

Re: Burning Shrines, Eating Bibles, Killing Christians And Other Issues - Opinion by Zenlife: 10:51pm On Jan 31, 2017
fratermathy:
A young man angered many Christians recently when he uploaded a video of himself apparently eating a bible and cursing Reverend Father Emmanuel Obimma (Ebube Muonso) for burning a shrine at Ekwulobia, Anambra State. I understand that many people were provoked by religious sentiments in their response to the young man's obviously senseless act. However, I wish to state the objective facts of the matter, not as a Christian or as an adherent of any traditional religion, but as a Nigerian and a cultural activist.

1. No shrine should be burnt by ANYONE under any guise whatsoever. We need to learn religious tolerance (yes, traditional religion is RECOGNISED in Nigeria as a religion). No one gave any person the right to burn another man's place of worship, however fetish it may be perceived. This is especially if the shrine is a communal one. Why don't they go about burning mosques for the same reason? Is it because the traditional worshippers are few, scared and lack political connections? Fulani herdsmen are killing Christians in the country and nothing is being done. Southern Kaduna has become a wasteland where the horrors of the holocaust is re-lived by the inhabitants. The so-called pastors and Christian religious leaders have not spoken out for Christians to defend themselves. They have also not torched any mosque or even verbally castigated the senseless murders. Some have had their own pastors killed and they couldn't even say anything about it. Why do they flex muscles over peaceful shrine goers? Are they the threat to Christianity?

2. Eating a bible or tearing it is counterproductive because it means nothing and does not equate the crime committed against the shrine. Burning a church may be the best way to go in this regard (if an eye is to equal an eye). However, arson is a crime under the law and the law of the land must be respected at all cost. The bible eater should have taken the legal path by sueing the so-called pastor and his church to court for arson and wanton destruction of a religious place (and a cultural heritage site as well). As far as I am concerned, his act is counterproductive, not vengeful enough, and done simply for show.

3. No one should support the burning of the shrine or the eating of a bible. It is best to be objective and not allow religious sentiments to becloud judgement in this instance. Imagine if a church is burnt by adherents of a traditional religion? Christians will cry with rage and shout "foul play"! People will be arrested, investigations made, prison sentences passed, and many more. However, because it is a traditional religious shrine that has been burnt, no Christian or Muslim cares. After all, it is a "pagan" religion! Who gave anyone the moral justification to judge what is to be burnt or not? Why can't we do unto others, what we want them to do unto us?

Whether Christian or not, we have to be tolerant and do things to support harmony. Gone are those days when "demon destroyers" and the likes burn cultural artefacts, religious places, etc, and destroy grooves, natural habitats, etc, in the name of whatever. Just because you don't believe in something doesn't mean you should destroy it. You may preach against it but leave it at that. Even if the adherents have "repented" and no longer practise the religion, they have no right to destroy the shrines. It is better they leave it to grow weeds and when someone, for whatever reason, may want to study or worship in the shrine, it will be accessible once the weeds are cleared. Just for emphasis, I reiterate that burning the bible is counterproductive and shouldn't be supported as well. Any objective mind would know that a legal means (arresting the pastor) would have sent a stronger message.

Let Christians face their contemporary realities of terrorism and systematic cleansing rather than pay attention to traditional worshippers and their shrines. If the same energy which pastors put in burning shrines and "casting demons" is put into helping Christians at this time of persecution and slaughter, it would go a long way, at least to give hope to people. If the pastors and prophets who catch witches and wizards, break yokes of poverty, collect fat tithes and offerings, stay in mansions and fly private jets, etc, transfer their attention to the plights of Christians being persecuted daily by herdsmen, it would go a long way. If radicalism and terrorism has come to stay, defensive Christianity must evolve to match it.

Couldn't have said it better.
Thank you.
Re: Burning Shrines, Eating Bibles, Killing Christians And Other Issues - Opinion by gawu1: 10:58pm On Jan 31, 2017
Chiedu4Trump:
MAKE EVERYBODY JUST SABI SAY. JESUS IS LORD, AND LORD ALONE. JESUS IS NOT A PEDOPHILE MARRIER AND HE IS NOT A STATUE.
JESUS DIED FOR US, SO YOU DON'T NEED TO BLOW YOURSELF UP
Son of bitch, you need to preach that to the man who ate your bible.
Re: Burning Shrines, Eating Bibles, Killing Christians And Other Issues - Opinion by Origin(f): 11:25pm On Jan 31, 2017
Chiedu4Trump:
MAKE EVERYBODY JUST SABI SAY.
JESUS IS LORD, AND LORD ALONE.
JESUS IS NOT A PEDOPHILE MARRIER AND HE IS NOT A STATUE.

JESUS DIED FOR US, SO YOU DON'T NEED TO BLOW YOURSELF UP

Bros Muslims no de worship men. You know now. We believe in Jesus Moses Mohammed etc we do not insult them . Muslims worship the One true God of Abraham, Moses, Jesus, Mohammed.

Because we respect them, e go be somehow if you no come respect wetin we respect.

Why cant you christians be peaceful. You want to burn shrine and be left in peace. You want to mock others and find peace. HYPOCRITE.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Six Important Things You Should Care For On Earth / Ramlocator: An App That Leads You Where The Sallah Rams Are / Death Toll In Anambra Church Stampede Rises To 52

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.