Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,981 members, 7,817,900 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:16 PM

Ag. Attorney General Orders Justice Dept. Not To Defend Refugee Ban - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Ag. Attorney General Orders Justice Dept. Not To Defend Refugee Ban (481 Views)

Obama Justice Dept. Obtained Secret Order To Monitor Trump Campaign Adviser 6/16 / Trump Sacks Sally Yates After She Declines To Defend Travel Ban / Donald Trump To Sign Orders Restricting Refugee, Muslims From Entering US (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ag. Attorney General Orders Justice Dept. Not To Defend Refugee Ban by Bolster(m): 1:06am On Jan 31, 2017
Acting Attorney General Sally Q. Yates, a holdover from the Obama administration, ordered the Justice Department on Monday not to defend President Trump’s executive order on immigration in court.

“I am responsible for ensuring that the positions we take in court remain consistent with this institution’s solemn obligation to always seek justice and stand for what is right,” Ms. Yates wrote in a letter to Justice Department lawyers. “At present, I am not convinced that the defense of the executive order is consistent with these responsibilities nor am I convinced that the executive order is lawful.”

The decision is largely symbolic — Mr. Trump’s nominee to be attorney general, Jeff Sessions, is likely to be confirmed soon — but it highlights the deep divide at the Justice Department and elsewhere in the government over Mr. Trump’s order.

Mr. Trump has the authority to fire Ms. Yates, but as the top Senate-confirmed official at the Justice Department, she is the only one authorized to sign foreign surveillance warrants, an essential function at the department.

“For as long as I am the acting attorney general, the Department of Justice will not present arguments in defense of the executive order, unless and until I become convinced that it is appropriate to do so,” she wrote.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/01/30/us/politics/attorney-general-civil-rights-refugee.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&referer=
Re: Ag. Attorney General Orders Justice Dept. Not To Defend Refugee Ban by daewoorazer(m): 1:30am On Jan 31, 2017
Trump believes in all stick approach at tackling problems. History will know him as a successful businessman but a poor leader at that.

He forgot the number one Zanga rule: keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.

Governance is never business!

#zanga
Re: Ag. Attorney General Orders Justice Dept. Not To Defend Refugee Ban by bonechamberlain(m): 2:59am On Jan 31, 2017
This is America where there are strong and independent institutions, and not strong individuals as seen in Nigeria. Would an attorney general try to oppose a president in Nigeria? He would be fired the next minute.
Re: Ag. Attorney General Orders Justice Dept. Not To Defend Refugee Ban by Nobody: 3:13am On Jan 31, 2017
Okay.
Re: Ag. Attorney General Orders Justice Dept. Not To Defend Refugee Ban by falopey: 4:28am On Jan 31, 2017
Bolster:
Acting Attorney General Sally Q. Yates, a holdover from the Obama administration, ordered the Justice Department on Monday not to defend President Trump’s executive order on immigration in court.

“I am responsible for ensuring that the positions we take in court remain consistent with this institution’s solemn obligation to always seek justice and stand for what is right,” Ms. Yates wrote in a letter to Justice Department lawyers. “At present, I am not convinced that the defense of the executive order is consistent with these responsibilities nor am I convinced that the executive order is lawful.”

The decision is largely symbolic — Mr. Trump’s nominee to be attorney general, Jeff Sessions, is likely to be confirmed soon — but it highlights the deep divide at the Justice Department and elsewhere in the government over Mr. Trump’s order.

Mr. Trump has the authority to fire Ms. Yates, but as the top Senate-confirmed official at the Justice Department, she is the only one authorized to sign foreign surveillance warrants, an essential function at the department.

“For as long as I am the acting attorney general, the Department of Justice will not present arguments in defense of the executive order, unless and until I become convinced that it is appropriate to do so,” she wrote.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/01/30/us/politics/attorney-general-civil-rights-refugee.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&referer=

NO nonsense Trump just sacked the acting attorney general for defying Trump executive order on immigration Trump will make America great again.

(1) (Reply)

Brazil's Ex-president Lula Sentenced To Nearly 10 Years In Prison For Corruption / Saudi Game Of Thrones: Salman To Consfiscate $30bn From Arrested Royal Members / New Zealand's Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern, Gives Birth To A Baby Girl - Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.