Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,412 members, 7,954,641 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 04:05 AM

The Inadequacy Of Hard Skills - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Inadequacy Of Hard Skills (5305 Views)

Hard Skills Vs Soft Skills: Why Are They Important To Your Career? / 9 Hard Skills That Will Land You More Career Opportunities. / Career Advancement: The Inadequacy Of Hard Skills (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Inadequacy Of Hard Skills by uwaj54: 9:45am On Feb 02, 2017
To do your work, you typically need hard skills. For example, Dentists need to know how to fill cavities, Computer Programmers need to be able to write functional codes, and Accountants need to be certified.

However, beyond the hard skills, which dentist do you go to? The one who is pleasant and takes time to answer your questions; or the one who treats you like a number in a long line of numbered mouths?

Which programmer do you retain when the economy is down? The one whose attitude is positive and upbeat, and who is always willing to help; or the one who is inflexible and has a hard time admitting mistakes?

Likewise, think about accountants. The one who has a great work ethic, listens actively, and encourages his colleagues is the one who will, most likely, excel in his position and organization.

In these situations, and all the others like them, it’s the soft skills that matter. Soft skills are personal attributes that enable you to interact effectively and harmoniously with other people. Examples include your communication skills, attitude, business etiquette, work ethic, emotional intelligence, ability to handle crises, and even the way you carry yourself.

On the other hand, hard skills are the technical expertise and skill sets you need to complete your tasks at work. In other words, they are your knowledge and occupational skills. Examples of hard skills include an accountancy certification (like ACCA), knowledge of a particular software, typing, writing, or experience in a particular industry sector.

Since hard skills are specific knowledge and abilities typically backed up with certificates and certifications, people tend to focus more on them. But the reality is that hard skills are inadequate for optimal career advancement. While your hard skills may get your foot in the door, your soft skills are what open most of the doors to come.

If you’re a hard worker who has watched a string of other seemingly less-qualified individuals being promoted ahead of you, what you may not know is that it could be your soft skills—or lack thereof—that could be holding you back from achieving the next level in your professional life.

Soft skills are that important. When they are lacking, the outcome is evident.

For instance, managers with poor people skills can create an unfriendly work environment, which will typically lead to unhappy workers, low productivity, and costly employee turnover.

Similarly, an employee who lacks time management skills can cause unnecessary delays in projects. In many cases, this could cost an organization valuable time or make unhappy customers to leave.

Also an employee who is not assertive can make needless concessions to demanding customers at the expense of the organization.

Outcomes like these highlight the inadequacy of hard skills and make soft skills the determinant factor during reorganization and downsizing.

Ironically, many organizations do not train their employees on soft skills as much as they do on hard skills. The reason is that your organization expects you to know how to behave on the job, like being on time, taking initiative, being friendly, and producing high quality work – typical soft skills.

And truly, you need to have a reasonable level of soft skills to complement your occupational skills. Gone are the days when professionals could hope to achieve sustainable career progress without first cultivating necessary soft skills.

Unfortunately, too many people in professional positions won’t concern themselves with developing their soft skills. For instance, some who have bad interpersonal skills dismiss criticisms of their interaction styles by saying it’s just their personality and they can’t change.

Others feel their on-the-job training has been enough to get them to their current positions and they don’t need soft skills development to advance their career.

However, smart individuals know that hard skills are not sufficient so they continue to develop their soft skills to avoid prematurely reaching a plateau in their career.

To advance in your career, it’s important to start to develop your soft skills now and practise using them at work on a regular basis.

Soft skills revolve around personal relationships, character, and attitude. You can nurture these skills by developing your communication skills, strengthening your interpersonal relationships, and demonstrating enthusiasm and ingenuity in any role you find yourself.

By doing so, you can increase your work performance, build stronger relationships, and ultimately move your career to the next level.

“There’s not one specific thing or skill people have to have to work for us. But I can tell you why we fire people: soft skills. We hire for hard skills. We fire for soft skills. The ability to interact and communicate with others or behave ethically and take responsibility for things tends to be where people tend to break down.” -- Rick Stephens, Senior Vice President of HR, The Boeing Corporation

Source: http://learnsmart.com.ng/

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Inadequacy Of Hard Skills by Ademat7(m): 11:23am On Feb 02, 2017
Wao! lalasticlala HQ pls

1 Like

Re: The Inadequacy Of Hard Skills by ifeanyi317(m): 7:19am On Feb 05, 2017
nice one

1 Like

Re: The Inadequacy Of Hard Skills by powerfulsettingz: 7:20am On Feb 05, 2017
Still yet there some jobs that doesn't even require any hard skill and dey make cash

Very clean Hp elite probook 6450b Core i3 laptop for sale

Specifications are:
Hard drive 250 HHD
4gig Ram
Processor pentium (R) Dual Core 2.40GHz
Backup 4 hours
Bluetooth
Wireless
4 serial USB port
Activated window 10
Asking price 75k
Not negotiable
Location Abeokuta Ogun State
Contact me on call and
Pls only serious buyer should pm

Re: The Inadequacy Of Hard Skills by awoo47: 7:24am On Feb 05, 2017
Too long to read why don't u write in points Anyway haters gonna hate grin angry
Re: The Inadequacy Of Hard Skills by greatdeal1408: 7:26am On Feb 05, 2017
wink smiley
This write up is fantastic.
My soft skills has given me so many awards in my company that others with hard skills wonder if they are different.
The truth is... Personal relationships with your clients and colleagues matters alot.

1 Like

Re: The Inadequacy Of Hard Skills by falakrajput: 7:27am On Feb 05, 2017
Superb. I really enjoyed very much with this article here. Really it is an amazing article I had ever read. I hope it will help a lot for all. Thank you so much for this amazing posts and please keep update like this excellent article.thank you for sharing such a great post with us.

Sarkari Naukri | Bank Jobs | Railway Jobs | SSC Online | Employment News

1 Like

Re: The Inadequacy Of Hard Skills by AdemolaA2: 7:52am On Feb 05, 2017
I agree with you poster ..but most times , soft skills are inborn . its either you have them or not .hard skills also have its own advantages.they are both encompassing and ability to combine both gives a greater edge ..
Re: The Inadequacy Of Hard Skills by Nobody: 7:56am On Feb 05, 2017
op are u trying to say softwork? if yes, u coret. Whedone Sir.
Re: The Inadequacy Of Hard Skills by ybalogs(m): 7:58am On Feb 05, 2017
Can't believe I read this long epistle and didn't regret. Very nice article.Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Re: The Inadequacy Of Hard Skills by Marcolaw: 7:58am On Feb 05, 2017
powerfulsettingz:
Still yet there some jobs that doesn't even require any hard skill and dey make cash

Very clean Hp elite probook 6450b Core i3 laptop for sale

Specifications are:
Hard drive 250 HHD
4gig Ram
Processor pentium (R) Dual Core 2.40GHz
Backup 4 hours
Bluetooth
Wireless
4 serial USB port
Activated window 10
Asking price 75k
Not negotiable
Location Abeokuta Ogun State
Contact me on call and
Pls only serious buyer should pm

How can u say its a core i3 and d processor is a pentium r dual core Am not understanding u fraudsters again
Re: The Inadequacy Of Hard Skills by Nobody: 8:03am On Feb 05, 2017
huh
Re: The Inadequacy Of Hard Skills by powerfulsettingz: 8:13am On Feb 05, 2017
Marcolaw:

How can u say its a core i3 and d processor is a pentium r dual core Am not understanding u fraudsters again
Sorry it's a mistake I mean Intel(R) core(TM)

Re: The Inadequacy Of Hard Skills by encryptjay(m): 8:17am On Feb 05, 2017
Quite educative. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: The Inadequacy Of Hard Skills by KevMitnick: 8:22am On Feb 05, 2017
I know of a company In which the only way to get promoted is to always lick your bosses' arse. The company remains mediocre to this day.

2 Likes

Re: The Inadequacy Of Hard Skills by bologzy(m): 10:42am On Feb 05, 2017
I was unaware I lacked some soft skills. But thanks to NYSC. I met a lot of corpers that possess these soft skills and I realised I have been fumbling. At the moment of awakening, I began learning and practising some soft skills.

Nice write up op

1 Like

Re: The Inadequacy Of Hard Skills by greenermodels: 11:13am On Feb 05, 2017
KevMitnick:
I know of a company In which the only way to get promoted is to always lick your bosses' arse. The company remains mediocre to this day.
it's often the only way to progress in Nigerian private and church owned establishments, that's why the nation remains in mediocre state.
Re: The Inadequacy Of Hard Skills by pressplay411(m): 7:31pm On Feb 05, 2017
AdemolaA2:
I agree with you poster ..but most times , soft skills are inborn . its either you have them or not .hard skills also have its own advantages.they are both encompassing and ability to combine both gives a greater edge ..

They can be learned too.
To some it just comes naturally and effortlessly.

1 Like

Re: The Inadequacy Of Hard Skills by AdemolaA2: 7:46pm On Feb 05, 2017
pressplay411:

They can be learned too.
To some it just comes naturally and effortlessly.
Yes they can be learnt but won't be as smooth as developing the inborn soft skills . The disparity will be very obvious .

1 Like

Re: The Inadequacy Of Hard Skills by pressplay411(m): 7:55pm On Feb 05, 2017
AdemolaA2:

Yes they can be learnt but won't be as smooth as developing the inborn soft skills . The disparity will be very obvious .

I quite agree. But it all depends on the intention behind learning it. If you learn these "soft skills" simply for professional purpose, it'll never be effortless. But if learnt to improve yourself and become a better evolved person, and inculcate it in your daily interactions beyond work, it becomes effortless.

1 Like

Re: The Inadequacy Of Hard Skills by uwaj54: 11:42pm On Feb 05, 2017
Soft Skills can be learned. For example, work ethic is a form of soft skill. And no one is born with the right work ethic even though it can be shaped by environment, upbringing, etc. Same applies to communication skills, business etiquette, resilience, and many other forms of soft skill.

I agree with AdemolaA2 that people with natural preference in certain soft skills will find it easier to learn them. However, there may not be any difference after all if learnt with the right purpose (as rightly stated by pressplay411). If you have time, please find and read the book " Talent is Overrated" by Geoff Colvin.

We need not allow any belief to stop us from developing ourselves into what we want to become. Through personal development you can make yourself better in any area of drawback - be it in soft or hard skills, personal or professional life. You may want to read my related post on personal development titled "Developing Yourself to Success": https://www.nairaland.com/3580814/developing-yourself-success#52932445

2 Likes

Re: The Inadequacy Of Hard Skills by dicksonadams(m): 8:14am On Feb 06, 2017
This is rich

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Info On AEDC Salary Scale / Who Is Better An Economist Or Accountant / Radiography Vs Pharmacy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.