Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,823 members, 7,810,161 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:13 PM

Septic Tank - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Septic Tank (8257 Views)

Biofil Toilet Digester An Alternative To Septic Tank In Flush System / Cost Of Soakaway(septic Tank) / Fumigation And Septic Tank / Sewage Evacuation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Septic Tank by beninman1(m): 7:54pm On Dec 02, 2009
Hello,

Pls, i need some advise/input.

Site is at Sango Tedo.
I have just been quoted 900K for a septic tank
Building is a block of 4 flats.
Contractor's recommendation is that one large septic tank would service the enitre building.
His suggested dimensions are:
Depth: 9 ft
Length :15ft
Width: 8 ft

Obviously worried at the huge estimate for a 'common' soak away or septic tank as he put it.

Actuallly, he has explained that soakaway is not an option due to the nature of the land.
Only a septic tank that would be emptied periodically would suffice. States it would be all concrete cast 6 inches thickness with extra re-inforced slabs on the top cos cars would drive over it.

Is anyone aware of this kind of idea and is there no cheaper solution?

Does this quote sound legit?

I assume most people her would have done similar septic tank, if my contractor is telling the truth that it is the only option

1 Like

Re: Septic Tank by ajileko: 10:18pm On Dec 02, 2009
That price is way too much for only one soakaway of that size. Don't mind him, he is building you a soakaway. Why is soakaway not an option ? Soakaway is what we normally use in Nija and especially in that area, you definitely can use it without a doubt. Although there are certain guidelines that you must follow but you can get your builder/bricklayer to do it. Find some malam/aboki to dig the dimension you need 9x15x8 is good start. Then have the bricklayer cast a 3 to 4 inch slab on all four corners and a reinforced top cover with a small drainage opening for maintenance purpose. The bricklayer and the plumber will have to work together at some point to get the drainage line aligned. Although for the size of your house, you may need two soakaways.

1 Like

Re: Septic Tank by beninman1(m): 11:33pm On Dec 02, 2009
Thanks for the info.
I was told that the ground is water logged hence cannot soak up waste.
They said as soon as you dig, you would meet water and this is same all over Lekki area?
So, he said septic tank is the best option; which is basically a concrete cast tank buried into the grd,.
He explained the casting is done on the surface and then you now dig up the grd to lower the cast

1 Like

Re: Septic Tank by KunleA2(m): 6:32am On Dec 03, 2009
benin-man:

Thanks for the info.
I was told that the ground is water logged hence cannot soak up waste.
They said as soon as you dig, you would meet water and this is same all over Lekki area?
So, he said septic tank is the best option; which is basically a concrete cast tank buried into the grd,.
He explained the casting is done on the surface and then you now dig up the grd to lower the cast

Make sure that you are not sucker punched. Ask your neighbor how they did their own. Or wait until you get back home. The estimate looks a lot fishy to me. How much then to roof the house? if a septic tank is gonna cost 900k?

1 Like

Re: Septic Tank by beninman1(m): 10:52am On Dec 04, 2009
Thanks for all your comments.

At the moment; another contractor is working on this costing. But he has come forward with a better

recommendation with rgds to surface dimension.

He says ; rather than go for 15ft length by 8ft width; we can go for 20ft length and 5ft wide.

States it makes huge diiference cos the narrower; the better in terms of strength and cost,

A wider surface slab would need more re-inforcement and hence cost more.

Also believes that with rgds to the 9ft depth proposed by d first contractor, it doesnt need to be concrete all the way.
States that water table might not be too high cos it is dry season. reckons we can get away with doing concrete half way and completing with blocks obviously with supporting pillars at strategic points. So, perhaps depth will 5 ft concrete and 4ft blockwork.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Bill of Quantities for 2 Bedroom Flat (foundation) / Your Dream Home Awaits You At Brenthills Estate. Maitama Ext., @ #34M Per Plot / Building Design

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.