Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,915 members, 7,821,205 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:49 AM

Expired 9ja Passport - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Expired 9ja Passport (6524 Views)

. / Going To Nigeria: Expired Passport: Big Problem: / I Need Suggestions On Travelling With An Expired Passport. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Expired 9ja Passport by mycutiepie(f): 10:14pm On Dec 02, 2009
Is this true, a friend of mine told me that you can travel to Nigeria with your expired Nigerian passport. Cos mine is expired, didnt know that until I checked this month, I have renewed it once and cant go to NY. I should be visiting 9ja this month but I dont know if what my friend told me is true. I will apply for the e-passport during my trip. Thanks. Your urgent response will be appreciated.
Re: Expired 9ja Passport by johnkent(m): 12:12am On Dec 03, 2009
If you re boarding a direct flight from the US to Nigeria, i think the airline can let u board on an expired nigerian passport since ur destination is nigeria. Nigeria cant deny u entry since u re a nigerian citizen.
Re: Expired 9ja Passport by Kc0022000(m): 12:48am On Dec 03, 2009
Being a Nigerian doesnt give you the right to enter Nigeria with expired passport. Not even at this festive period, our immigration officers at the airport will have good reason. I would suggest you apply for a new passport but if time is a factor for you since you wanted to visit this month then ask for ETC,get to Nigeria and do a new one.Why not call the embassy closer to you and ask for the best step to follow ? But no expired 9ja passport
Re: Expired 9ja Passport by 1forall: 12:48am On Dec 03, 2009
An expired document is . . . . expired
Re: Expired 9ja Passport by johnkent(m): 1:06am On Dec 03, 2009
1forall:

An expired document is . . . . expired
so re u saying that if she got to nigeria on an expired Nigerian passport, she wont be let into the country u must be kidding. let me see where they'll deport him/her to.
Re: Expired 9ja Passport by Delta007(m): 7:20am On Dec 03, 2009
, the airline may not allow her to travel with an expired passport.
Re: Expired 9ja Passport by mycutiepie(f): 8:25am On Dec 03, 2009
Thanks guys! But Lol@Johnkent, you made me laugh. But really where will they deport me to, if its Ghana, I will be sooooo fyne. lol.

Well, I know that those officers@9ja airport will take advatage of the situation. But maybe they will be more considerate with my three children involved.

@going to my nearest embassy, that's like 4 hours from my abode, it's not a problem going there but the issue is (am not certain if I will be attended to/my passport will be renewed) and I had been calling all the listed numbers but they seem to lock those fones in an empty room and let them ring.

We're flying with Arik airlines, so thats direct but am not sure if they will let me board with expired passport. Anyone traveled with one or knows someone that passed? Anyone knows a private embassy number I can call in NY? We will be traveling b4 Christmas and I dont think that mailing my passport to them will worl without contacting a person to work on it. Pls come to my rescue o.
Re: Expired 9ja Passport by 1forall: 1:07pm On Dec 03, 2009
I suggest you take the time out to go there as thats where I guess you'll get the best immigration advise, than regret not doing so when ure at the airport already.

johnkent of course she'll get in, though it aint like she's just gonna waltz in without stress. The question is 'will she be allowed to board at the origin?'
Re: Expired 9ja Passport by Nobody: 1:34pm On Dec 03, 2009
A chic on this same NL said she travelled to Nigeria from the UK without a 9ja Passport not to even talk of an expired one, but she had to part with about £300 or so.
Re: Expired 9ja Passport by ayomidej(f): 1:37pm On Dec 03, 2009
Why travel to Nigeria with an expired passport, you can but don't take the risk.

Its expensive, those guys will milk you.

Thats a fact
Re: Expired 9ja Passport by johnkent(m): 2:05pm On Dec 03, 2009
1forall:

I suggest you take the time out to go there as thats where I guess you'll get the best immigration advise, than regret not doing so when ure at the airport already.

johnkent of course she'll get in, though it aint like she's just gonna waltz in without stress. The question is 'will she be allowed to board at the origin?'
i dont understand why you guys think that immigrations in Nigeria will give her a hard time. I dont think so. I know its Nigeria but trust me, they wont really do anything to her. The issue here that i can see is if the airline here in the US will let her board on an expired passport. They'll probably will since its a direct flight to Nigeria.
She is a Nigerian citizen and has every right to enter nigeria with or without a passport. We only carry passports as proof of citizenship. because she has an expired Nigerian passport doesnt make her less of a citizen.
call Arik and see what they tell ya.
Re: Expired 9ja Passport by Delta007(m): 2:12pm On Dec 03, 2009
johnkent:

i dont understand why you guys think that immigrations in Nigeria will give her a hard time. I dont think so. I know its Nigeria but trust me, they wont really do anything to her. The issue here that i can see is if the airline here in the US will let her board on an expired passport. They'll probably will since its a direct flight to Nigeria.
She is a Nigerian citizen and has every right to enter nigeria with or without a passport. We only carry passports as proof of citizenship. because she has an expired Nigerian passport doesnt make her less of a citizen.
call Arik and see what they tell ya.
Point of correction - She has no right to travel with an expired travel document. People carry passports for different reasons. . .identification, travel document, proof of citizenship, etc. There's a reason for the expiration date you know.

@OP, you already spent almost $2000 for an economy ticket (or more for a premium class). If you do not think that's a hefty enough, try your luck at the airport; However, if you cannot risk screwing up your trip and having to go back and forth the airport, take some time to renew the passport. Normally, a renewal is just a stamp that can be done on the spot. The only problem I see is that you have renewed the passport once (already). The lifetime of a passport is 10 years; so I'm guessing you got the first 5years when it was new and 5years upon renewal. I doubt they can renew a renewal. Perhaps you should try to get a temporary travel document; but you need to take time and go to the nearest embassy. Goodluck!
Re: Expired 9ja Passport by johnkent(m): 3:00pm On Dec 03, 2009
i remember coming back from Mexico a few months ago and this Hispanic guy didn't have any form of ID and he claimed to be a US citizen. They couldnt send him back to Mexico as he claimed to be a US citizen but anyways, he was detained for a while until they could figure out his citizenship and he sure was a US citizen. has lived in Southern cali since birth and could hardly speak a lick of english. They let him in let alone someone that has a passport. The expiration date on the passport doesnt matter when u re seeking entry into YOUR COUNTRY/country that issued the passport.
Re: Expired 9ja Passport by jaybee3(m): 3:02pm On Dec 03, 2009
johnkent:

i remember coming back from Mexico a few months ago and this Hispanic guy didn't have any form of ID and he claimed to be a US citizen. They couldnt send him back to Mexico as he claimed to be a US citizen but anyways, he was detained for a while until they could figure out his citizenship and he sure was a US citizen. has lived in Southern cali since birth and could hardly speak a lick of english. They let him in let alone someone that has a passport. The expiration date on the passport doesnt matter when u re seeking entry into YOUR COUNTRY/country that issued the passport.
r u sure u didn't watch all u typed above from the US border patrol ? Story looks exactly the same.
Re: Expired 9ja Passport by johnkent(m): 4:07pm On Dec 03, 2009
US border patrol? I have no idea wat u're referring to.
Re: Expired 9ja Passport by Bossman(m): 12:29am On Dec 04, 2009
I know how you feel mycutiepie, about those folks at the Naija embassy not picking up the phone. And, if you are lucky to get someone to talk to, it's usually some idiot that has no clue and will likely just spit out incorrect information. Unfurtunaly, the new passport renewal procedure is hell, because fingeprints are now required. As huge as the US is, they now require everyone to show up in NY physically. So, if I live in Los Angeles, Miami, etc. we are talking about a 5 hour flight or so. I am in Chicago, and my brother is in the same predicament. They pretty much told him he has to do it online, then at some point someone will contact him with an interview/fingerprint date. I do not see why fingerprints cannot be mailed to them, just like it is for a lot of other US documents.

This I know, going to Naija without a valid passport is a big risk. There is no guarantee you will even board the flight, talkless of entering the country. Yes, it's your country but the officers there have all right to deny you entry if your papers are not valid or complete. It's just like saying you want to enter the US with an expired US passport. Now, you know that will not happen.
Re: Expired 9ja Passport by iice(f): 4:34pm On Dec 04, 2009
Bossman:

I know how you feel mycutiepie, about those folks at the Naija embassy not picking up the phone. And, if you are lucky to get someone to talk to, it's usually some idiot that has no clue and will likely just spit out incorrect information.

Aswerigawd. So darn annoying.
Re: Expired 9ja Passport by Nobody: 5:07pm On Dec 04, 2009
Bossman:

I know how you feel mycutiepie, about those folks at the Naija embassy not picking up the phone. And, if you are lucky to get someone to talk to, it's usually some slowpoke that has no clue and will likely just spit out incorrect information. Unfurtunaly, the new passport renewal procedure is hell, because fingeprints are now required. As huge as the US is, they now require everyone to show up in NY physically. So, if I live in Los Angeles, Miami, etc. we are talking about a 5 hour flight or so. I am in Chicago, and my brother is in the same predicament. They pretty much told him he has to do it online, then at some point someone will contact him with an interview/fingerprint date. I do not see why fingerprints cannot be mailed to them, just like it is for a lot of other US documents.

This I know, going to Naija without a valid passport is a big risk. There is no guarantee you will even board the flight, talkless of entering the country. Yes, it's your country but the officers there have all right to deny you entry if your papers are not valid or complete. It's just like saying you want to enter the US with an expired US passport. Now, you know that will not happen.

You don't expect the embassy to open up branches everywhere in the states, it's still better than travelling to Nigeria to get the E-passport. 5hrs is not that much grin I know you are scared of turbulence grin grin grin grin, and the stress u will be going thru. Just go thru the tribulation and get what you want

Sending fingerprints to them via mail is not possible, you are going to thumbprint with your fingers on the machine. You need to go there physically and it's a must.
Re: Expired 9ja Passport by Nobody: 7:10pm On Mar 18, 2013
mycutiepie: Is this true, a friend of mine told me that you can travel to Nigeria with your expired Nigerian passport. Cos mine is expired, didnt know that until I checked this month, I have renewed it once and cant go to NY cos I am a mom of 3, going to school and in btw. I should be visiting 9ja this month but I dont know if what my friend told me is true. I will apply for the e-passport during my trip. Thanks. Your urgent response will be appreciated.

where you able to travel on expired passport??

(1) (Reply)

How Is Cameroon? / 5 Must Visit National Parks In Nigeria / Nigerian Resident Permit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.