Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,220 members, 7,825,832 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 01:06 AM

6 Nigerian Languages That Are Now Extinct - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 6 Nigerian Languages That Are Now Extinct (1367 Views)

6 Nigerian Cultural Myths That Are Unfavourable To Women / 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct / 6 Nigerian Kings With The Prettiest Wives (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Nigerian Languages That Are Now Extinct by Thepasserby(m): 4:15pm On Feb 03, 2017
Our culture as a Nation is dying gradually. We have neglected our ways of life and have adopted to the way of life of the white man.

Children cannot speak their mother tongue fluently and some even take pride in it. Nigeria is gradually becoming a country where everyone will start speaking English language.

Very soon some Nigerian languages will disappear from the face of the earth. In the meantime, here are six Nigerian languages that are now extinct.

1. Jawa (Bauchi state)
This language was formerly spoken in Bauchi state. It became extinct between 1920 to 1940 as the speakers switched to Hausa language.

2. Auyokawa (Jigawa)
This was formerly spoken in Jigawa state but the speakers decided to drop it for Hausa language.

3. Basa-Gumna (Niger and Nasaraw)
This is an extinct Kainji language of Nigeria. It was spoken in Chanchaga Niger state and Nasaraw near Basa homeland. The speakers dropped the language for Hausa.

4. Gamo-Ningi
A Kainji dialect cluster of Nigeria

5. Kpati (Taraba)
An extinct grassland language in Taraba state.

6. Kubi (Bauchi)
The speakers also dropped it for Hausa.

There are still more languages going extinct day by day.

Save our culture.

Copied from www.Palmchatnow.com
Re: 6 Nigerian Languages That Are Now Extinct by seunlayi(m): 4:16pm On Feb 03, 2017
hope it won't be the turn of my native yoruba language with this manace of "my pikin must sabi english at all cost"

2 Likes

Re: 6 Nigerian Languages That Are Now Extinct by RedboneSmith(m): 4:27pm On Feb 03, 2017
Hmmm. From the list it appears Hausa is the most predatory language in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Nigerian Languages That Are Now Extinct by babyfaceafrica: 4:59pm On Feb 03, 2017
Ok
Re: 6 Nigerian Languages That Are Now Extinct by scholes0(m): 8:46pm On Feb 03, 2017
All in the North?
Na wa o.

That is what happens when there are several small underdeveloped dialect clusters around a large one- like the case of Northern Nigeria.
Re: 6 Nigerian Languages That Are Now Extinct by Afam4eva(m): 10:39pm On Feb 06, 2017
seunlayi:
hope it won't be the turn of my native yoruba language with this manace of "my pikin must sabi english at all cost"
Among the 3 major languages, they will disppear in this order. Igbo, Yoruba and hausa. Igbo will definitel be the first to go, followed by Yoruba then Hausa.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Nigerian Languages That Are Now Extinct by ChinenyeN(m): 11:45pm On Feb 06, 2017
Afam4eva:

Among the 3 major languages, they will disppear in this order. Igbo, Yoruba and hausa. Igbo will definitel be the first to go, followed by Yoruba then Hausa.

Despite the fact that there exists no hard data for this, I am still inclined to support it. The collective anecdotal evidence is simply too strong.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Wow!!! Nsukka Girl Shared A Photo Of Her Preparing Their Local Food Okpa / Where Can I Get A Yoruba Translation Of The Holy Bible? / African History Quiz!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.