Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,793 members, 7,810,065 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:52 PM

Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment (36287 Views)

Sleep Paralysis: Is It Natural Or Spiritual? / Share Your Sleep Paralysis Experience Here. / Ovarian Cyst And Pregnancy: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Effect In Pregnant Wom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Aroh48(m): 5:20am On Feb 04, 2017
jatau7:
absolutely right. ..i do experience it alot...n sometimes its due to irregular sleep pattern. .or either caffeine...i hardly sleep esp at night. ...just hope am okay .
same thing with me bro, when I visited my doctor, he told me that "sleeplessness" may be a symptom of high blood pressure.
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Nobody: 5:23am On Feb 04, 2017
MARKone:
It is a common occurance. But basically to reduce it, avoid sleeping on your back.

And never cross your legs while sleeping. I figured that out the hard way after series of attacks that made me even scared to go to sleep at night. REMEMBER!!! Your legs should never be crossed or get tangled with your partner while sleeping.
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by pressplay411(m): 5:27am On Feb 04, 2017
Dreamwaker:
In the past I would have similar dreams, first thing as an African man was to think the bad people are after me. It happened for a while until I googled it and found out it wasn't supernatural. I used to drink a lot then so it was probably the alcohol that caused mine.

Its a horrible feeling and its worse when it lasts long. Praying usually works for me because I'm awake spiritual or mentally but unable to wake up physically but as I'm praying, I'm trying to open my eyes and after a few mins, I open my eyes. Sometimes I panic sha and I'm stuck somewhere between the real world and dream world all alone.

It's good to know what works for you.
Have you actually tried, not praying?
Once you realise it's normal and do not panic, you ease out of it and wake up.
The fear of dying usually makes one panic that's when you remember all the names of Jehovah that are not even in the bible. But no, it's not a spiritual attack. Apparently no one has died from it @least that I know of.

2 Likes

Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by samnaija: 5:39am On Feb 04, 2017
@pressplay if someone says prayer works for him. why u wan make him use ur method. na by force. simply any method that works for u use it. do not let anybody tell u otherwise as if the have a phd on the subject.

1 Like

Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by pressplay411(m): 5:41am On Feb 04, 2017
VickyRotex:

Hahahahaha. Thanks Sweetheart. But its not as easy as it sounds. Cos there's just a lot to do trust me. Not tryna form too busy.
These days when I sleep for 5 or 6 hours, it's a great achievement o cheesy cheesy

My body has even gotten used to not sleeping before 12 or 1am. Last night I was so tired, so I slept from 11pm and woke up 2am, it felt like I've slept all my life. Havent slept since then.

It's only at times, I can use that luxury, when there isn't really much to do. Its well! embarassed embarassed

Your body clock has been re-adjusted. Perhaps you made it a habit at some point. Watching late nite movies or waking up very early to work?
To reset your body clock try going to bed early and reading a boring book, an old difficult textbook I never like does this for me. (You learn something new and dose off before you know it.)
Our body/mind has its inbuilt alarm. I know people who have never set an alarm to wake up, they just naturally wake up at their determined time.
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by goldennugget: 5:42am On Feb 04, 2017
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Correspondence(m): 5:46am On Feb 04, 2017
How can you get up to 6 or 8 hours of sleep when internet is there on your phone? Whatapp messages nko? [/color][color=#990000][/color]
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by oluspicy: 5:48am On Feb 04, 2017
mhisbliss:
Sleep Paralysis

Have you ever had a nightmare (usually horrible) and tried to react to it, but you couldn't, you tried to scream, wake up, run or struggle but you couldn't and you felt like an intruder or a supernatural force is holding you down, keeping you from waking up, or scream for help? The condition is called sleep paralysis,

Sleep paralysis is a phenomenon in which an individual, either during falling asleep or awakening, briefly experiences an inability to move, speak, or react. It happens during REM(rapid eye movement) sleep,

REM is a stage of sleep when the brain is very active and dreams often occur. The body is unable to move, apart from the eyes and muscles used in breathing, possibly to stop you acting out your dreams and hurting yourself.

Sleep paralysis is usually accompanied by fear, hallucinations, fast or difficulty in breathing, sometimes sufferers feel like supernatural forces or human (which thier consciousness believes is capable of hurting them) is trying to kill or suffocate them in thier sleep and when they try to call for help and couldn't, they'll come to the conclusion that its the village witch at work,

Most people who experienced sleep paralysis often feel the presence of an intruder in thier room, outside by the window, a shadowy shapeless figure holding them down to thier bed or someone looking down at them, the paralysis is partial though, and thats why they can move some parts of their body when it occurs,

In some cases they might be visions, out of body experiences and ghostly presence, they're unverified claims that the mythical creature incubus a male demon which lies upon women in order to engage in sexual activities with them, its female counterpart seccubus does the same to men in thier sleep.

Symptoms of sleep paralysis

*you'll be aware of your surroundings but you'll be unable to move, because you're temporarily paralyzed

*irregular and rapid breathing, and perspiration, which you cant control

*you feel the presence of someone(the intruder who you believe is there to harm you) in your room, fear, and panic.

*you wont be able to move, some people can open thier eyes though.

Causes of sleep paralysis

1. Genetics: when theres a history of sleep paralysis in your family

2. Not getting much sleep (insomnia)

3. Little or no night rest to relax the brain, the brain is responsible for your dreams.

4. Jetlag or irregular sleep pattern

5. Sleeping at inappropriate time, which might be induced by drugs, weed, narcolepsy, night job.

Treatment of sleep paralysis

1. Always sleep at the same time every day day, if you're the type that goes to bed by 9pm every day keep it that way

2. Sleep in a sleep inducing environment, quiet, dark, comfortable temperature

3. Don't consume substances that might keep you up at night, like caffeine, kolanut, alcohol

4. Dont eat big meals before going to bed

5. Get at least 6-8 hours of sleep every night

Original author:mhisbliss

This is quite educating.

I was once a victim of this and usually occurs when I was working somewhere on the mainland. I will wake up as early as 4a.m in order to beat traffic from the island and coming back home is another story cos I getting home late by 10 or 11p.m.

By the time I closed my eye to get some sleep, d next thing was that someone came into my room(either spirit or a witch in my neighbourhood) pinning me really hard on the bed. To open my mouth would be difficult. By the time I regained consciousness, "Blood of Jesus!" or "Jesus!" would be my scream, and I will quickly grab my Bible to pray.

Honestly, I thought its the unknown or perceived witchs/ wizards were at work in my sleep.

Its quite obvious that religion has clouded our sense of logical reasoning as Africans So that if someone heard a cat's voice at night will shout "I bind you by the blood of Jesus!..." Or the sighting of cockroaches, rats, spiders, wall geckos etc, will quickly begin to form prayer points, or even call pastors. Whereas they forgot to uunderstands that cats are very active at night, and when they are hungry or playing with one another, they seldom make such noises.

Besides, dirty environments or rooms breeds rats, cockroaches, spiders, wall geckos and so on. And their presence is inevitable.

I pray that our mentality change on this.

More ink to your pen MhisBliss for this information. I celebrate your worth.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Sunbellar: 5:50am On Feb 04, 2017
Azil:
The one time it happened to me, I remained calm and let it run it's course as I had read once about it.

I told my Dad about it and the prayers he 'fired' afterwards, I couldn't stop laughing.
And you now think you are wiser than your Dad?

2 Likes

Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by pressplay411(m): 5:54am On Feb 04, 2017
samnaija:
@pressplay if someone says prayer works for him. why u wan make him use ur method. na by force. simply any method that works for u use it. do not let anybody tell u otherwise as if the have a phd on the subject.

Lol I'm an advocate of "whatever works for you" just letting him know it's a natural phenomenon just like having cramps or pins & needles.
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by VickyRotex(f): 5:56am On Feb 04, 2017
pressplay411:

Your body clock has been re-adjusted. Perhaps you made it a habit at some point. Watching late nite movies or waking up very early to work?
To reset your body clock try going to bed early and reading a boring book, an old difficult textbook I never like does this for me. (You learn something new and dose off before you know it.)
Our body/mind has its inbuilt alarm. I know people who have never set an alarm to wake up, they just naturally wake up at their determined time.

You're so right about this. Been a long time it's been an habit for me. Right from my undergraduate, when I loved to do TDB at times. And now because I've got quite a lot to do, I really don't see not sleeping long hours as anything.

I do exactly what you say about reading a boring book. But it doesn't just work. I'm not really a movie person, so whenever I try to watch a movie, I sleep off, which helps.

Besides night is the best time I can study and assimilate faster.

Exactly! I cant remember the last time I actually had to set an alarm. I wake up at a time I have in mind to wake up.
At times, even when I set my alarm. A minute or few seconds to when it rings I just grab my phone and say "Keep Kwayet" grin
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by azimibraun: 5:59am On Feb 04, 2017
Post of the Month.

1 Like

Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Omoluabi16(m): 6:05am On Feb 04, 2017
Babaevans1:

Look for one babalawo or fake pastor and dash ur hard earned money since d enemies are after u. Ignorance is truly a disease.
thank you for your advice dear enlightened one. I'll do as you say.
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Nobody: 6:14am On Feb 04, 2017
Forget all d grammer! Na witch dey press person, jst shout jesus and u will be free grin

1 Like

Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by harmless(m): 6:18am On Feb 04, 2017
I agree, op's explaination was not actually exhaustive on the issue. You need to hear confessions of some occultic/spiritual people to appreciate the depth of realm of "sleep". People can travel while are asleep and do stuffs, does that have mastered the concept. They leave their body and do stuff. Watch the movie Doctor Strange although it's just a movie ...You will have an idea
Bnimz:
Sleep paralysis is quite simply the gateway to Astral Projection ... And most experiences at that time are actually real...
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Nobody: 6:19am On Feb 04, 2017
jerryunit48:
Wow! And them say na witch
dey dia make oyibo dey decieve u with grammer
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by fizzy94(m): 6:20am On Feb 04, 2017
MARKone:
It is a common occurance. But basically to reduce it, avoid sleeping on your back.
Simple, I thought I was the only one who noticed that too.
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by harmless(m): 6:26am On Feb 04, 2017
You needed to respond to this guy, right?....its like it excited you a bit when he talked about male scrtm....Hmmm, it seems sleep paralysis is not your only area of interest grin grin... confess
mhisbliss:
am not a guy, rolls eyes
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Image123(m): 6:29am On Feb 04, 2017
Azil:
The one time it happened to me, I remained calm and let it run it's course as I had read once about it.

I told my Dad about it and the prayers he 'fired' afterwards, I couldn't stop laughing.

Is it coincidental that it didn't happen to you again after the prayers? Is that scientific?

1 Like

Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by bqlekan(m): 6:30am On Feb 04, 2017
When you experience something supernatural, they say you are hallucinating. When you dream about the supernatural, they say your thalamus is sending a poor signal to the cerebral cortex. When you are lost between the future and the past, they say it is dejavuu. They have explanation for every supernatural occurrence, they insult our intelligence, yet they could not explain our beginning..

4 Likes

Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Nature8(m): 6:39am On Feb 04, 2017
Hmm, I think say na some kind of witches and wizards be that! Never knew it's natural, thanks for the info..
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by muyibaba222(m): 6:39am On Feb 04, 2017
nice one OP. U have Educated me a lot
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Image123(m): 6:39am On Feb 04, 2017
pressplay411:

It's good to know what works for you.
Have you actually tried, not praying?
Once you realise it's normal and do not panic, you ease out of it and wake up.
The fear of dying usually makes one panic that's when you remember all the names of Jehovah that are not even in the bible. But no, it's not a spiritual attack. Apparently no one has died from it @least that I know of.

And how would you know if someone died from it, they'd tell you? I've never again had sleep paralysis despite
3. Little or no night rest to relax the brain, the brain is
responsible for your dreams.
5. Sleeping at inappropriate time, which might be induced by
drugs, weed, narcolepsy, night job.

When i had it then, i prayed. If you adjust and take it normal, well some people take unclothedness, illiteracy, molestation and physical abuse as normal for them.

2 Likes

Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by harmless(m): 6:48am On Feb 04, 2017
Why did you say this, is it because of her signature pm, pls trow more lite
chiefolododo:
This girl should not be taken serious due to reasons best known to me .Thanks
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by reubenobi(m): 6:49am On Feb 04, 2017
mhisbliss:
Sleep Paralysis

Have you ever had a nightmare (usually horrible) and tried to react to it, but you couldn't, you tried to scream, wake up, run or struggle but you couldn't and you felt like an intruder or a supernatural force is holding you down, keeping you from waking up, or scream for help? The condition is called sleep paralysis,

Sleep paralysis is a phenomenon in which an individual, either during falling asleep or awakening, briefly experiences an inability to move, speak, or react. It happens during REM(rapid eye movement) sleep,

REM is a stage of sleep when the brain is very active and dreams often occur. The body is unable to move, apart from the eyes and muscles used in breathing, possibly to stop you acting out your dreams and hurting yourself.

Sleep paralysis is usually accompanied by fear, hallucinations, fast or difficulty in breathing, sometimes sufferers feel like supernatural forces or human (which thier consciousness believes is capable of hurting them) is trying to kill or suffocate them in thier sleep and when they try to call for help and couldn't, they'll come to the conclusion that its the village witch at work,

Most people who experienced sleep paralysis often feel the presence of an intruder in thier room, outside by the window, a shadowy shapeless figure holding them down to thier bed or someone looking down at them, the paralysis is partial though, and thats why they can move some parts of their body when it occurs,

In some cases they might be visions, out of body experiences and ghostly presence, they're unverified claims that the mythical creature incubus a male demon which lies upon women in order to engage in sexual activities with them, its female counterpart seccubus does the same to men in thier sleep.

Symptoms of sleep paralysis

*you'll be aware of your surroundings but you'll be unable to move, because you're temporarily paralyzed

*irregular and rapid breathing, and perspiration, which you cant control

*you feel the presence of someone(the intruder who you believe is there to harm you) in your room, fear, and panic.

*you wont be able to move, some people can open thier eyes though.

Causes of sleep paralysis

1. Genetics: when theres a history of sleep paralysis in your family

3. Little or no night rest to relax the brain, the brain is responsible for your dreams.

5. Sleeping at inappropriate time, which might be induced by drugs, weed, narcolepsy, night job.

Treatment of sleep paralysis

1. Always sleep at the same time every day day, if you're the type that goes to bed by 9pm every day keep it that way

2. Sleep in a sleep inducing environment, quiet, dark, comfortable temperature

3. Don't consume substances that might keep you up at night, like caffeine, kolanut, alcohol

4. Dont eat big meals before going to bed

5. Get at least 6-8 hours of sleep every night

Original author:mhisbliss

mmm,ve had so many encounter,nd its only wen i sleep wit my face pointin to d ceilling it always occur.
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by harveyspec: 6:52am On Feb 04, 2017
sleep paralysis is like big bang theory, another scientific way of explaining the supernatural

for those saying it's purely natural or nothing suoernatural about it.

How do you explain folks who experienced "sleep paralysis" and woke up with serious whip or scratch marks on their body or ladies who felt they were penetrated & woke up bleeding from their va-gina.

1 Like

Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Ruggedpen: 7:06am On Feb 04, 2017
If there is anything like sleep paralysis sometimes enemies take advantage of it to manipulate, there one family I served before, the woman is into ritual and the son and every time, I always see them in dreams either the son or the woman, no other person in that family that show up in the dream apart from those 2, op how can u explain that. Then why do we have relief once u shout jesus if is not spiritual, sometimes when u sleep in particular compound it always happen there than other places. So explain that to me.

3 Likes

Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Proudlyngwa(m): 7:11am On Feb 04, 2017
MARKone:
I believe that's experience talking.
Sleep paralysis occurs when the consciousness is awake but the body is not yet awake, i believe it is the body experiencing OBE unwillingly.

1 Like

Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by rickyephraim(m): 7:16am On Feb 04, 2017
well, i think there is still some unseen materials that induce sleep paralysis. This why people pray when there are afraid.

1 Like

Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by mhisbliss(f): 7:17am On Feb 04, 2017
harmless:
You needed to respond to this guy, right?....its like it excited you a bit when he talked about male scrtm....Hmmm, it seems sleep paralysis is not your only area of interest grin grin... confess
isn't it too early to be this wrong? grin
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by mhisbliss(f): 7:18am On Feb 04, 2017
oluspicy:

This is quite educating.

I was once a victim of this and usually occurs when I was working somewhere on the mainland. I will wake up as early as 4a.m in order to beat traffic from the island and coming back home is another story cos I getting home late by 10 or 11p.m.

By the time I closed my eye to get some sleep, d next thing was that someone came into my room(either spirit or a witch in my neighbourhood) pinning me really hard on the bed. To open my mouth would be difficult. By the time I regained consciousness, "Blood of Jesus!" or "Jesus!" would be my scream, and I will quickly grab my Bible to pray.

Honestly, I thought its the unknown or perceived witchs/ wizards were at work in my sleep.

Its quite obvious that religion has clouded our sense of logical reasoning as Africans So that if someone heard a cat's voice at night will shout "I bind you by the blood of Jesus!..." Or the sighting of cockroaches, rats, spiders, wall geckos etc, will quickly begin to form prayer points, or even call pastors. Whereas they forgot to uunderstands that cats are very active at night, and when they are hungry or playing with one another, they seldom make such noises.

Besides, dirty environments or rooms breeds rats, cockroaches, spiders, wall geckos and so on. And their presence is inevitable.

I pray that our mentality change on this.

More ink to your pen MhisBliss for this information. I celebrate your worth.
awwwn thanks you just made my day

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Guidance On The Use Of Face Masks In Nigeria By NCDC / 8 Common Habits That Are Unhealthy For Your Eyes / 5 Almajiris Test Positive For COVID-19 In Kaduna After Repatriation From Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.