Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,092 members, 7,818,277 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:43 AM

Why Nigerian Certificates Lose Value — UK School - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Nigerian Certificates Lose Value — UK School (24307 Views)

30-Year-Old Pupil - Asylum Seeker Fools UK School, Pretends To Be 14 (See Photo) / Why Nigerian Certificates Lose Value - UK School / Why Nigerian Certificates Lose Value — UK School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Nigerian Certificates Lose Value — UK School by viki84(m): 9:06am On Feb 07, 2017
na poland sure pass, i'm considering polish Universities over the Uk Unis, The Kind Money Wey You Go Spend For Uk Ehnn, Your Account Balance Go Tell You
Re: Why Nigerian Certificates Lose Value — UK School by AntiNigerian: 9:15am On Feb 07, 2017
Soreza:
ANYTHING THAT is ASSOCIATED WITH THE NAME NIGERIA IS BOUND FOR FAILURE 100%,BEFORE U SUFFERING AND SMILING little thinking Nigerians quote me give me anything done in the name of Nigeria since 1960 that was and still successful till date?? ofcourse NON. My father's Nigeria was better than mine and the way things are going am scared my children may say so too, so the only option for me is to support BIAFRA ! lipsrsealed
#noban#truth
CORRECTED!

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Certificates Lose Value — UK School by porozhniy(m): 9:27am On Feb 07, 2017
Origin:
Nigerians are the ones making a mockery of themselves and that is why our certificates may be alleged to be losing value. The best of the best are Nigerians. We go abroad we take all the first Class.

The only difference is in the teaching methods and facilities.

We are Nigeria, we defeated ebola and still sent our doctors to Liberia to help stop the Outbreak. The UK and US no fit boast that levels.
I like your optimism sis, but the system here is designed not to allow us flourish, that's why those who manage to go abroad make headlines.
I have a degree in chemistry, almost zero hands on experience. Practical classes were hell! 50-70 students to one table, close to 500 students in one tiny lab(cubicle).
I was taught QBasic & FORTRAN on a white board (I know learn anything).
A good number of 400L computer science students can't identify the common problems associated with a computer or other related hardware.
Almost all the protectors & interactive boards installed in the classrooms are now moribund cos lecturers either don't know how to use them or don't give a hoot.

Our poor educational system is why we are stuck in the 19th century as a country. We only manage to survive cos of our resilience.
Re: Why Nigerian Certificates Lose Value — UK School by johhnnie(m): 9:34am On Feb 07, 2017
[quote author=40kobo77 post=53488413]Some days ago.

One young boy put a story here which made front page praising UNILAG. Laff catch me, if only that boy know say na tissue paper be UNILAG Certificate once you cross Murtala Airport.

This is not a derailer, but has anybody seen the picture of this lady using the Moniker Adesewa4uyahoo? OHH BOY THAT GIRL FINE OHH.

Chisos. You fine. Saw your picture and i fell in love with you immediately.

Adesewa4uyahoo i know there is a reason God guided me like Joseph to Nairaland this morning.[/quote

Do your credential evaluation and it will be at par!]
Re: Why Nigerian Certificates Lose Value — UK School by AssLeeKar: 9:42am On Feb 07, 2017
40kobo77:

Good morning Ade.

I thought i had found my missing ribs, but apparently some other hunger hawks had checked you out before me, and confirmed you are married, and i had to confirm from your IG Page too.

Your husband is lucky.

I am taking my love somewhere else. Do you by chance have a single sister? thank you so much.
zomby u just made me waste mb checking a lady with small breastANDass plus an over edited pix. man Beta face your front Abeg control that your lost for the flesh and as for that lady, since she is married, she better stop stiring some mumu boys dìke or may be she is not contented

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Certificates Lose Value — UK School by Limitless72(m): 9:48am On Feb 07, 2017
ArcFresky:
So everybody should leave Nigeria and go and school in UK....
No maa.

Bro me tire oooooo...them for just close school for 9ja and let everybody go uk ,,,Lol,,,funny set of people
Re: Why Nigerian Certificates Lose Value — UK School by Dynast(m): 9:51am On Feb 07, 2017
Tokziby:
Let the truth be said, its not about the certificate, its about the mode and quality of teaching. If u have not been there, u definitely cannot understand their point of view. Our Lecturers and teachers have failed us because they only sit in a class and use the same teaching materials for several years without updating their syllabus. They have failed to realize that world keeps evolving everyday and things become obsolete if u dont move with it. They still use textbooks (especially science and technology) that are published 20-30 years ago without upgrading. i am pretty sure some lecturers still go about teaching FOTRAN and COBOL or history of computers when they should be teaching Java, SQL, d-base, A+, Networking etc. I became so disheartened when i saw graduate engineers enrolling for vocational courses related their their course, when all u needed in life ought to have been taught in the University. The only professional courses (practicable courses) available in Nigeria are just 3, accounting, law and medicine every other course aside these in the Uni are in a "one chance bus" cos what they teach is abstract (theories) that are not practicable when u graduate. In case u are reading this and u are in the Uni, whatever ur course is that is not related to the above 3, kindly start learning a trade now or vocational course in order not to add to the over-saturated labour market.

Good observation,even the law you quoted here is invalid until you go to Law school. Accounting as well has shallow practical scenarios in the uni until corporate experience
Re: Why Nigerian Certificates Lose Value — UK School by j1mmy: 10:01am On Feb 07, 2017
Debaddest:
Summary : Nigerian certificate loose value cos our Presido is an Illiterate (dullardino).

And because the citizens are also illiterates and educated-illiterates.

A typical Nigerian university graduate lacks basic commonsense.
Re: Why Nigerian Certificates Lose Value — UK School by Chukwuka16: 10:10am On Feb 07, 2017
At the risk of sounding biased let me state that I have been educated both here in Nigeria's best university - UI and of course a top ranking world/UK university. From my experience, studying in the UK offers you a PLATFORM. How you utilize it is entirely left to your creativity. Aside the PLATFORM, the lectures are still boring (though updated), some lecturers are still awful and mean (I think depression affects them a lot) and of course racism does still exist - Shocking doesn't even describe it. You will also be surprised to know that the English lecturers do not really care about your welfare/interests, they are more interested in rankings and nice feedbacks.
However, you cannot disagree on the following fallout of the PLATFORM:
• Mobility: Visa application to countries is always easy most especially when you are funded or going for conferences to present a technical paper. This is mostly helpful since the application process in UK is usually stress free and most times successful whenever the application is packaged well.
• Reflection: You stand the chance of looking at Nigeria from an outside-in perspective which allows you assess critically your place in the country. This period of sober reflection is most needed as it determines if you will return to Nigeria idle or engaged. Please note that engagement need not be employment, it might be a business idea which you have thoroughly researched or further studies etc.
• E-advantage: the e-advantage here is tailored towards economy. With the hype surrounding FOREX and the difficulty in accessing it, schooling in the UK offers one the opportunity of having accounts in fantastic banks – Barclays, NatWest, Lloyds etc. This becomes helpful when foreign transactions are to be made and your Nigeria domiciled cards become ‘useless’. I remember how easy it was swiping my debit card at POS terminals in Chicago, Atlanta, Montreal, France, Antwerp and Amsterdam with ease. All I had to know then was that £ was more powerful than euro, $ and CDN$. I might be more careful now considering how £ has taken some serious bashing.
• Exposure: My first time flying (local or international) was to go study in the UK. The thrill of going through the check-in process, boarding, taking my connecting flight, accessing my luggage, meeting new people from varied cultures etc. was just exciting. Moving through the streets of London and other popular world cities was something memorable considering my humble background and the near impossibility of ever having this experience. Furthermore, I had the privilege of working with Chinese and Arabs and Asians on projects. I was able to learn their strengths and weaknesses and relate with their varied backgrounds.
• Mind-set: one thing that has obviously changed in me is how I now reason. I’m no longer quick to judge, I’m now more inclined to listen to people, I can now appreciate someone else’s view and further agree that the solution put forward by someone else supersedes mine. It doesn’t mean that I have now jettisoned my Christian values, No! I now appreciate being a Christian. Furthermore, I now believe that anything is possible (American dream!)
• Contacts: You will be shocked to know that our leaders no mean well for us. You will be shocked to know that every ‘big man’ is keen on seeing his child get some quality education outside Nigeria. You discover classmates whose parents are senators, ministers (serving and past), diplomats etc. No be joke o, one of them could link you to their parents and the rest as they say becomes history.
• Jobs: You will be shocked to know that many Nigerian companies come to London yearly to recruit Nigerians to come work in Nigeria. What an irony. Many of my colleagues have/would be resuming in some cool places soonest. Furthermore, there is usually some disparity in earnings between their pay and their Nigerian colleagues just because they are regarded in some way as ‘expatriates’.
I could go on and on but then the whole idea is not to rubbish the educational system in Nigeria. No! Some of my best research experiences were from Nigeria. In fact, my best papers to date were written at UI. I have also carefully excluded from the list electricity and internet as some form of advantage. When I consider what the average Nigerian youth spends on data subscription and what it is used for then I weep. Furthermore, electricity is not an excuse because even its availability has not produced any tangible output from us.
One might argue on the access to scholarly articles and e-journals. I experimented and discovered that sites exist that make these things available for free. researchgate, academia.edu etc. are some free platforms existing but are not being utilized by the majority here in Nigeria.
Nigeria still has a long way to go but then as most people have rightly posited, certificate is not what matters – it is very important but then how skillful are we in turning all the training into viable income generating sources?

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Certificates Lose Value — UK School by plainmirror(m): 10:59am On Feb 07, 2017
ironheart:
Pure lies to gain more patronage. Our schools teaches us great sense n thats why we can outsmart them, we are the best all over the world be it science, accademic even crime

Big LIE!
Drawing comparison with EU education system and the one we have here is like comparing Banana island with ohanku in Aba grin.
Now here is the practical difference between them:
In a science class, a black guy study and cram how and when the 1st mobile phone was made, who made it, the volume of production and the versions made.
A white guy on the other hand brainstorms and research on how to add a new feature to the phone made. like developing a voice-to-message app, sound detection and the rest.

We study the yesterday they left behind while they think about the future.
We are drunk on power, religion and voodoo, while they are driven by innovation and invention.
We strive to be like them, while they strive to better their best.
That's what's up!

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Certificates Lose Value — UK School by uvalued(m): 12:04am On Feb 18, 2017
Chukwuka16:
At the risk of sounding biased let me state that I have been educated both here in Nigeria's best university - UI and of course a top ranking world/UK university. From my experience, studying in the UK offers you a PLATFORM. How you utilize it is entirely left to your creativity. Aside the PLATFORM, the lectures are still boring (though updated), some lecturers are still awful and mean (I think depression affects them a lot) and of course racism does still exist - Shocking doesn't even describe it. You will also be surprised to know that the English lecturers do not really care about your welfare/interests, they are more interested in rankings and nice feedbacks.
However, you cannot disagree on the following fallout of the PLATFORM:
• Mobility: Visa application to countries is always easy most especially when you are funded or going for conferences to present a technical paper. This is mostly helpful since the application process in UK is usually stress free and most times successful whenever the application is packaged well.
• Reflection: You stand the chance of looking at Nigeria from an outside-in perspective which allows you assess critically your place in the country. This period of sober reflection is most needed as it determines if you will return to Nigeria idle or engaged. Please note that engagement need not be employment, it might be a business idea which you have thoroughly researched or further studies etc.
• E-advantage: the e-advantage here is tailored towards economy. With the hype surrounding FOREX and the difficulty in accessing it, schooling in the UK offers one the opportunity of having accounts in fantastic banks – Barclays, NatWest, Lloyds etc. This becomes helpful when foreign transactions are to be made and your Nigeria domiciled cards become ‘useless’. I remember how easy it was swiping my debit card at POS terminals in Chicago, Atlanta, Montreal, France, Antwerp and Amsterdam with ease. All I had to know then was that £ was more powerful than euro, $ and CDN$. I might be more careful now considering how £ has taken some serious bashing.
• Exposure: My first time flying (local or international) was to go study in the UK. The thrill of going through the check-in process, boarding, taking my connecting flight, accessing my luggage, meeting new people from varied cultures etc. was just exciting. Moving through the streets of London and other popular world cities was something memorable considering my humble background and the near impossibility of ever having this experience. Furthermore, I had the privilege of working with Chinese and Arabs and Asians on projects. I was able to learn their strengths and weaknesses and relate with their varied backgrounds.
• Mind-set: one thing that has obviously changed in me is how I now reason. I’m no longer quick to judge, I’m now more inclined to listen to people, I can now appreciate someone else’s view and further agree that the solution put forward by someone else supersedes mine. It doesn’t mean that I have now jettisoned my Christian values, No! I now appreciate being a Christian. Furthermore, I now believe that anything is possible (American dream!)
• Contacts: You will be shocked to know that our leaders no mean well for us. You will be shocked to know that every ‘big man’ is keen on seeing his child get some quality education outside Nigeria. You discover classmates whose parents are senators, ministers (serving and past), diplomats etc. No be joke o, one of them could link you to their parents and the rest as they say becomes history.
• Jobs: You will be shocked to know that many Nigerian companies come to London yearly to recruit Nigerians to come work in Nigeria. What an irony. Many of my colleagues have/would be resuming in some cool places soonest. Furthermore, there is usually some disparity in earnings between their pay and their Nigerian colleagues just because they are regarded in some way as ‘expatriates’.
I could go on and on but then the whole idea is not to rubbish the educational system in Nigeria. No! Some of my best research experiences were from Nigeria. In fact, my best papers to date were written at UI. I have also carefully excluded from the list electricity and internet as some form of advantage. When I consider what the average Nigerian youth spends on data subscription and what it is used for then I weep. Furthermore, electricity is not an excuse because even its availability has not produced any tangible output from us.
One might argue on the access to scholarly articles and e-journals. I experimented and discovered that sites exist that make these things available for free. researchgate, academia.edu etc. are some free platforms existing but are not being utilized by the majority here in Nigeria.
Nigeria still has a long way to go but then as most people have rightly posited, certificate is not what matters – it is very important but then how skillful are we in turning all the training into viable income generating sources?

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Certificates Lose Value — UK School by uvalued(m): 12:15am On Feb 18, 2017
seguno2:

If our president can leave Nigeria for the UK to get treatment why should ordinary citizens not go there for education?
Buhari banned government officials from going abroad for treatment.
He budgeted more for Aso Rock clinic than all teaching hospitals combined.
Yet he claims to be fighting corruption.
Which sensible Nigerian would believe such rubbish, hypocritical lies?

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Certificates Lose Value — UK School by xxmanbj(m): 5:42am On Feb 18, 2017
Nonsense... How could foreign certificates be equate with Nigeria.certificates....
I implore all the Nigerian organizations to pls place more preference to our local certificates to those of foreign certificate....
This will make all those people that felt Nothing good can come from this country...
Govt too must place higher value on our local certificate..
However, bad and cocoanut head lectures in our tertiary institutions should be weed off....
I was at the University of Abuja few months ago... I saw many unproductive classroom teachers calling themselves lecturer ..... It is a pity....
Govt should enact a taskforce that will be monitoring the school systems. God bless Nigeria
Re: Why Nigerian Certificates Lose Value — UK School by Nobody: 5:22pm On Feb 18, 2017
Nonsense and ingredients

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Private And Goverment Recognised Schools Of Nursing In Nigeria. / Strike: Enough Is Enough - Buhari Tells ASUU / ASUU Update:nec Meeting Should Hold Tomorrow Saturday 16 Nov..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.