Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,113 members, 7,814,910 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:59 PM

Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). (43567 Views)

Throwback Photos Of Louis Van Gaal And Jose Mourinho At Barcelona In 1997 / Iran Women Attend First Football Match In 40 Years (Photos) / South Africa Vs Nigeria: AFCON Qualifiers - 1 - 1 (Full Time) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by Nobody: 11:26pm On Feb 07, 2017
Dapyem:

Ajibade Babalade(he was d captain of d side then),David Ogaga,Edith Agoye,Patrick Pascal etc were also part of d team then

Something Manga.

Duke Udi was fans' favourite at the time
Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by Kassidy90(m): 11:32pm On Feb 07, 2017
I was there , I can still remember d match vividly...
Some bad belle will say it's Memoryshop
Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by thinkative: 12:00am On Feb 08, 2017
kjhova:

That Shooting Stars side was an awfully good side at the time. I saw the 1st leg of that final at a pub in Ota, Ogun State and the pub was filled to the brim! The atmosphere was no less than an AFCON final or UEFA champs league setting!!

Can't rem most of the lads in that side by name now but Duke Udi, Abiodun Baruwa, Gbenga Okunnowo et al shone like million stars. shame they lost the cup.

Lol. That could be CJ at oju ore in ota. all roads led to that place on matchdays back then.

was still in primary school at the time, but I remember an uncle always taking me there. I remember struggling for the discipline to sip a bottle of coke through 90 mins.

Memories!
Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by sniper77(m): 12:20am On Feb 08, 2017
naptu2:

He kept for Shooting Stars in the 1996 African Champions Cup. They lost to Zamalek in the final.

Abiodun Baruwa a.k.a Omo Alhaja. He was always chasing Ike Shorunmu from his days at stores to shooting stars and to the national team. I always watched him jog pass my street then to adamasingba stadium and i knew he was above 23 when he represented us at the Olympics. He would have been a disaster at the goal post if he was chosen as the number one goalie at France 98 world cup tournament.
Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by fuckingAyaya(m): 12:40am On Feb 08, 2017
gabazin080:
nice game, i was there live in benfica that night.

some will quote and say its a lie
nobody will say it a lie but ur conscience is already judging u
Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by driand(m): 4:35am On Feb 08, 2017
SWG25:
Who loves Rui Costa here? I love that dude. Him and mustapha hadji were great midfielders, especially in Winning Eleven 4.

Who played Winning eleven 4 here? grin

World Soccer! Jikyo! Winning Eleven, Four!

Rui Costa, shot 88, one of the best free kick takers in the game.
that eleven 4 features the greatest number of starts ever,.. .. Edgar Davis, kluivert, Shevchenko, Michael Owen, Santa Cruz, Amokachi, babangida speed 9 accl 9, Batistuta, Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Carlos, zamorano, koller, illie of Romania, there was something special about that guy can't phantom wat it was but he was good, Patrick Mboma, Henry, chilavet, peruzzi, Mustafa hadji,.. .. So much stars, but in football today after Messi, Ronaldo, hazard, griezma and Sanchez e don finish

1 Like

Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by naptu2: 6:23am On Feb 08, 2017
Abiodun Baruwa made a beautiful point blank save from Casiraghi in the second half.

Pierluigi Casiraghi was one of my favourite players when he was at Lazio (and with the Italian national team). He was a deadly striker. Then he moved to Chelsea and got injured soon afterwards and that was the end. In fact, at a point I even forgot that he was still on Chelsea's books. What a sad way to end a career.

1 Like

Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by Gotaya: 7:45am On Feb 08, 2017
chesterlee:

Baruwa was renouned to be a basket..the guy can act movie for Africa

One of the worst goalies that kept for the super eagles till date!

But he was certainly good enough to be noticed and even considered to be in an African All stars team. so it was nice representation at least in that match.
Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by Gotaya: 7:51am On Feb 08, 2017
naptu2:

He kept for Shooting Stars in the 1996 African Champions Cup. They lost to Zamalek in the final.
I think they were the first Nigerian team to play in the final of a caf competition
Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by Gotaya: 8:02am On Feb 08, 2017
funmo:

LB Echejiele (Nigeria)

Predicted scores

Africa 1 Europe 5

U can't be too sure with the score line, it's football anything can happen. meanwhile replace Echejiele with another LB from the just ended Afcon. He is not the Best LB in Nigeria not to talk of Africa... so the Score line don't come into fruition
Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by naptu2: 8:05am On Feb 08, 2017
Gotaya:

I think they were the first Nigerian team to play in the final of a caf competition

Yes, but not in that match.

These are the other Nigerian teams that played in the final before 1996 (from memory. Forgive me if I forget to mention any team).

Shooting Stars won the African Cup Winners Cup in 1976, played against Zamalek in the final of the Champions Cup in 1984 (Odegbami was injured, but if I remember correctly, Yekini played in that final) and beat Nakivubo Villa 3-0 in the final of the 1993 CAF Cup.

Rangers International won the 1977 African Cup Winners Cup.

Stationery Stores lost to Union Douala in the final of the 1981 African Cup Winners Cup.

My dad led the government delegation to Algeria as Iwuanyanwu Nationale lost in the final of the 1988 African Champions Cup.

BCC Lions of Gboko (coached by Amodu Shuaibu) won the 1990 African Cup Winners Cup (aka Mandela Cup).

(A Nigerian team also won the 1993 WAFU Cup, but I can't remember which team)
Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by Gotaya: 8:11am On Feb 08, 2017
naptu2:

Yes, but not in that match.
yes I meant generally in the history of Nigeria football.
Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by naptu2: 8:14am On Feb 08, 2017
Gotaya:

yes I meant generally in the history of Nigeria football.

Yes.
Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by naptu2: 2:06pm On Feb 08, 2017
Jarus:

Something Manga.

Duke Udi was fans' favourite at the time

Patrick Mancha.

I think Arthur Madueme was also in that team.

1 Like

Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by SalomonKane: 3:58pm On Feb 08, 2017
Jarus:
I remember this game very well. Was 14, in JSS 3
14 in JSS3. Hmm. shocked You don old sha. grin
Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by Nobody: 4:04pm On Feb 08, 2017
SalomonKane:
14 in JSS3. Hmm. shocked You don old sha. grin

You think all Nairalanders are teenagers?
Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by SalomonKane: 4:07pm On Feb 08, 2017
Jarus:

You think all Nairalanders are teenagers?
Nope. I don't think so, I know so because I was older than you then. So, I'm still older than you. tongue

I watched the football match and loved every minute of it. That was when African football was mighty.
Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by Nobody: 6:16pm On Feb 08, 2017
SalomonKane:
Nope. I don't think so, I know so because I was older than you then. So, I'm still older than you. tongue

I watched the football match and loved every minute of it. That was when African football was mighty.

Oh, so reverse was the case grin
Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by SalomonKane: 6:45pm On Feb 08, 2017
Jarus:

Oh, so reverse was the case grin
Yea, pity you didn't have the scud to see that. grin tongue
Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by naptu2: 7:36am On Feb 09, 2017
naptu2:
Being a goalkeeper is not an easy job. You can keep hundreds of clean sheets, make thousands of spectacular saves, but all people will remember is that terrible mistake that you made.

May 29th, 1998. Abiodun Baruwa dashed deadly Yugoslavian striker, Predrag Mijatovich a very easy goal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQbR-iR5jXI
Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by kjhova(m): 11:20pm On Feb 09, 2017
Dapyem:

Ajibade Babalade(he was d captain of d side then),David Ogaga,Edith Agoye,Patrick Pascal etc were also part of d team then

Yeeeees!!

Thanks for the reminder.
Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by kjhova(m): 11:29pm On Feb 09, 2017
thinkative:

Lol. That could be CJ at oju ore in ota. all roads led to that place on matchdays back then.

was still in primary school at the time, but I remember an uncle always taking me there. I remember struggling for the discipline to sip a bottle of coke through 90 mins.

Memories!

Yes, it was CJ's and I'm glad to sprout memories for you, man.

We must have been over a hundred folks in the pub that day stumping for 3SC.

How I would that Nigerians today will stump for a Nigerian club again. Somehow, we seem to be waiting for them to be as rich as Chelsea or Real before we accord them due regards.
Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by thinkative: 12:50am On Feb 10, 2017
kjhova:

Yes, it was CJ's and I'm glad to sprout memories for you, man.

We must have been over a hundred folks in the pub that day stumping for 3SC.

How I would that Nigerians today will stump for a Nigerian club again. Somehow, we seem to be waiting for them to be as rich as Chelsea or Real before we accord them due regards.

its quite sad.

our league fell asleep at the same time the premier league started to boom in Nigeria.

despite that, people still showed lots of interest when enyimba and Julius berger went on continental cup runs in the early 2000s

however, the league couldn't leverage on it. at some point, we didn't even have a professional league.

there have been improvements recently. but I'm afraid, the European leagues have done too much damage to local consumption.

I long for the feeling I had at CJ watching the boys in Nigeria 99. sam okoye. gbenga okunowo. julius aghahowa, tijani babangida. Gabriel melkam. Pius ikedia. Joseph yobo. eddy dombraye. Sunday afolabi. I loved that team!
Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by tck2000(m): 1:05pm On Aug 31, 2019
Kassidy90:
I was there , I can still remember d match vividly...
Some bad belle will say it's Memoryshop
lol
Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by Preciousgirl(f): 3:52pm On Aug 31, 2019
Abedi Pele

The most gifted African player ever
Re: Africa Vs Europe Football Match In 1997 (Throwback Video). by tck2000(m): 7:41am On Oct 31, 2019
SalomonKane:
That was when African football was top notch. Now I can just imagine if Africa play Europe, the outcome would be devastating.
lol

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Top 25 Most Valuable Football Players 2022 / Esimaje Awani: NFF Has Not Paid Me For Super Eagles World Cup Outfits / AFCON: Huges Ngouelondele, DR Congo Sports Minister Beaten On Arrival

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.