Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,546 members, 7,955,022 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 02:40 PM

Could This Be Transmission Failure? RX350 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Could This Be Transmission Failure? RX350 (1156 Views)

6 Typical Reasons Why Your Transmission System May Not Last Long / Help! My Automatic Transmission Failure / Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Could This Be Transmission Failure? RX350 by Whynow(m): 1:13pm On Feb 07, 2017
Car : 2007 Lexus RX350 AWD.

Dear Car repair Enthusiasts, I am in need of an urgent fix.

Feb Sat 4th: Changed front axles due to the slight to heavy shudder while accelerating from stop , car would shake and smoothen out
Then steering vibrating above 100km/hr.

The car was allowed 24hrs before the axle change , right in my compound.
Car Parked around 4pm, Friday, axle installed Saturday 6pm.
Oil drained and filled with Toyota WS.
Filter has never been cleaned.

Feb Mon 6th, while in traffic I experienced a forward jerk/ bump from transmission ,nearly hit a truck in front of me. This was experienced 3x

I refused to drive the car to work, so as not to cause any additional damages.

Gazzuz, thanks for the phone chat .
Let me know the way forward and how to reach the experts, Gazuuz suggests Kashif.
Re: Could This Be Transmission Failure? RX350 by Kashif(m): 2:00pm On Feb 07, 2017
Your triple bump is not enough to make a diagnosis. Drive it some more and note any malfunction. If your transmission was really dirty before the atf change, I am afraid it may eventually come out of that vehicle. Dirty/neglected transmission and top notch atf don't mix well.

But, you just have to drive it some more.
Re: Could This Be Transmission Failure? RX350 by Whynow(m): 2:20pm On Feb 07, 2017
Thanks for prompt response.
It was very scary and could have hit the vehicle in front.
The hard bump can throw any one out of a window sad

What do you suggest I do , drain and clean filter? Or scan.
There are no CEL or malfunction codes on instrument cluster.

Please inbox me your garage address.
I wish no other person to touch my vehicle, especially at this time
Re: Could This Be Transmission Failure? RX350 by Kashif(m): 2:33pm On Feb 07, 2017
Whynow:
Thanks for prompt response.
It was very scary and could have hit the vehicle in front.
The hard bump can throw any one out of a window sad

What do you suggest I do , drain and clean filter? Or scan.
There are no CEL or malfunction codes on instrument cluster.

Please inbox me your garage address.
I wish no other person to touch my vehicle, especially at this time

The transmission does not have power of its own so, a surge at rest, without any tap on the throttle is not coming from the transmission, it was only responding to power from the engine (that is if I understand you correctly). The issue is not coming from the filter either, as clogged filter would result in slips/flares and no go. Drive it some more. It might just be a glitch.

Unfortunately, my hands are full now. I have responded to your email though.

1 Like

Re: Could This Be Transmission Failure? RX350 by mayor2013: 10:01pm On Feb 07, 2017
Does this jerk come in when you engage transmission I.e from park to drive ? Coupled with a sound
Re: Could This Be Transmission Failure? RX350 by Whynow(m): 9:47pm On Feb 08, 2017
Update
Today car was scanned, no codes,
ATF was drained, dark pinkish with no metal scrapping.
Filter was dirty like it was folded inside, replaced with a new one
Refilled with WS fluid

Test drove, no jerks, shifts okay

Will still drive more days to observe performance

update soon...............

(1) (Reply)

I Need Help / Amazing N1 Billion Apollo Intensa Emozione Unveiled (photos) / Benz C230k 2005

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.