Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,254 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:41 AM

6 Typical Reasons Why Your Transmission System May Not Last Long - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 6 Typical Reasons Why Your Transmission System May Not Last Long (10183 Views)

5 Typical Reasons Why Your Car Fails To Start / 5 Signs That Indicates Your Transmission Needs To Be Flushed / 5 Typical Reasons Why Your Car Starter Fails (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Typical Reasons Why Your Transmission System May Not Last Long by Godspower35(m): 12:35pm On Nov 04, 2019
Shifting,when not stopped

Switching to reverse or reverse while your vehicle is not fully stopped can quickly destroy your transmission. On vehicles with automatic transmissions, it is always best to stop completely before switching to either driving or reverse.

In a car with automatic transmission, it is not comparable to shifting gears in a manual transmission vehicle where the
clutch can disengage, an automatic transmission is a rigid linear action and can grind the teeth in the gears while forcing your transmission while moving the gears to move. This can not only damage your transmission, but also your suspension and drive shaft.

Towing beyond the possibilities of your car

It's that easy if your car is not supposed to carry a heavy load. If your car has a certain transport capacity, you must not exceed the recommended weight limits. Towing loads your gear enormously, which can cause it to overheat.

Too little gear oil

If you have low transmission oil, the gears in your transmission will not be lubricated, causing them to drag together, overheat and eventually fails. You need to keep your transmission fluid at the optimum level to keep your transmission running smoothly.

Using the wrong transmission fluid

Your gear requires a certain type of gear oil to operate. Different types of gear oils have different viscosity levels and additive mixtures and are formulated for various vehicle transmissions. Using the wrong fluid for your transmission may result in your transmission not getting the necessary lubrication or cooling properties.

Your gearbox is not serviced

If you do not service your transmission regularly, dirt and debris can accumulate and cause your transmission to develop problems over time. The transmission power decreases and the parts inside wears out. If you ignore the regular maintenance of your transmission long enough, it may fail immediately.

Ignoring transmission problems

Most catastrophic problems are avoidable, there are warning signs along the way. Hearing strange sounds, car tremble, shiver or strangle. These are all early warning signs that something is wrong with your transmission. It is best to take your car to a certified transmission expert sooner or later if these warnings occur instead of waiting for the problem to worsen and repair becomes more expensive.
Source:
http://www.eliancars.com/2019/11/6-typical-reasons-why-your-transmission.html
[img]https://1.bp..com/-5cyM5UWUWOw/XcAKjeZ_56I/AAAAAAAADLE/IJW5nNldMG8uXymny0gMbJF6Me_U3JlGwCLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/Trans.jpg[/img]

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Typical Reasons Why Your Transmission System May Not Last Long by chinavs9ja(m): 7:25am On Nov 05, 2019
Thanks For The Info! God bless all that will comment after me grin

Check my signature biko

2 Likes

Re: 6 Typical Reasons Why Your Transmission System May Not Last Long by momodub: 7:25am On Nov 05, 2019
Nice one
Re: 6 Typical Reasons Why Your Transmission System May Not Last Long by PheelzAlmighty: 7:25am On Nov 05, 2019
As I don't have a car nko
Re: 6 Typical Reasons Why Your Transmission System May Not Last Long by abbatoir(m): 7:26am On Nov 05, 2019
Noted
Re: 6 Typical Reasons Why Your Transmission System May Not Last Long by iCauseTrouble: 7:26am On Nov 05, 2019
shocked
Re: 6 Typical Reasons Why Your Transmission System May Not Last Long by BotherMleeper(m): 7:27am On Nov 05, 2019
Leaving your gearshift in the Park position without applying your handbrake. This places all the weight of the vehicle on the tranny itself, especially on inclines, and quickly damages your transmission.

Always apply your handbrake, electronic or manual.

Also, never move your tranny to Neutral when driving just because someone lied that it saves your fuel.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Typical Reasons Why Your Transmission System May Not Last Long by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:28am On Nov 05, 2019
Very good thread.

Thanks OP.

We can relate!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 6 Typical Reasons Why Your Transmission System May Not Last Long by obo389(m): 7:31am On Nov 05, 2019
That shifting issue , I do it a lot.
Re: 6 Typical Reasons Why Your Transmission System May Not Last Long by OakConsultNG: 7:32am On Nov 05, 2019
Interesting..

Meanwhile, did you know you can get your business registered for as little as 23 thousand naira? Well, check our profile for contact details to enjoy this offer. --080-752-56644--
Re: 6 Typical Reasons Why Your Transmission System May Not Last Long by Mutemenot(m): 7:37am On Nov 05, 2019
Gear wahala can frustrate sha, I think it's the most sensitive expensive part of the car ..

2 Likes

Re: 6 Typical Reasons Why Your Transmission System May Not Last Long by MrVagina: 7:40am On Nov 05, 2019
[s]
post=83751718:
Very good thread.

Thanks OP.

We can relate!
[/s]
trash

2 Likes

Re: 6 Typical Reasons Why Your Transmission System May Not Last Long by Ijaya123: 7:55am On Nov 05, 2019
BotherMleeper:
Leaving your gearshift in the Park position without applying your handbrake. This places all the weight of the vehicle on the tranny itself, especially on inclines, and quickly damages your transmission.

Always apply your handbrake, electronic or manual.

Also, never move your tranny to Neutral when driving just because someone lied that it saves your fuel.

I do this regularly when I'm at a short stop like at a traffic light or go-slow, not to save fuel but to ease the load on the engine when the vehicle is not in motion.

In another instance, I was in a terrible traffic in a hot afternoon and my gear was in Drive all through. Then I noticed the temperature indicator started moving up. By instinct, the first thing that came to my mind was to shift the gear to Neutral which lead to an obvious ease on the engine. A short while later, the indicator came down back to place.

I agree with your first and second paragraph absolutely. There seem to be lots of drivers guilty of this act these days. Lost count of time I've corrected people about this.

12 Likes

Re: 6 Typical Reasons Why Your Transmission System May Not Last Long by Nobody: 8:15am On Nov 05, 2019
Pesin wey Sabi to drive only automatic, that one na driver?
Re: 6 Typical Reasons Why Your Transmission System May Not Last Long by toaterry(m): 8:19am On Nov 05, 2019
PheelzAlmighty:

God will grant you the grace to buy one.
Re: 6 Typical Reasons Why Your Transmission System May Not Last Long by SlyPe(m): 8:22am On Nov 05, 2019
I changed the shaft of my car in the driver's side last month and just 2 days ago the shaft in the passenger side is making some weird sound, I was told I should have changed the two front shaft the sametime but the thing is the shaft in the passengers side wasn't making noise before then. My question is should I still change the shaft in the drivers side again or I should only change that of the passengers side?? Thanks as you reply.
Re: 6 Typical Reasons Why Your Transmission System May Not Last Long by alphaNomega: 8:27am On Nov 05, 2019
SlyPe:
I changed the shaft of my car in the driver's side last month and just 2 days ago the shaft in the passenger side is making some weird sound, I was told I should have changed the two front shaft the sametime but the thing is the shaft in the passengers side wasn't making noise before then. My question is should I still change the shaft in the drivers side again or I should only change that of the passengers side?? Thanks as you reply.

Change both at the sane time. If one side is bad, the other is already on its way out.

1 Like

Re: 6 Typical Reasons Why Your Transmission System May Not Last Long by SlyPe(m): 8:43am On Nov 05, 2019
alphaNomega:

Change both at the sane time. If one side is bad, the other is already on its way out.

OK thanks for the reply
Re: 6 Typical Reasons Why Your Transmission System May Not Last Long by realestniggah: 8:53am On Nov 05, 2019
Manual drivers can't relate we follow all the rules
Re: 6 Typical Reasons Why Your Transmission System May Not Last Long by olexjay(m): 8:57am On Nov 05, 2019
SlyPe:
since the driver's side shaft is okay then you should only change the passenger side shaft, try to allow the automobile mechanic do some road test on your car so he could be sure it's really the shaft and not hub, I hope it's not hub anyway but when changing the shaft I advice you to confirm that it's not hub cuz sometimes it might be hub due to the strange noise you hearing

2 Likes

Re: 6 Typical Reasons Why Your Transmission System May Not Last Long by olexjay(m): 9:04am On Nov 05, 2019
alphaNomega:

I don't agree with you since he has already changed the driver side recently, I think changing both is just a waste since he bought a good shaft for the driver side.. I once experienced this sometimes ago hearing some strange noise in the driver side wheel to the extent that it almost overcome the music while playing I thought it's the shaft but it's hub, I only recalled I changed all the 4 absorbers after and I think it's due to bad road, but I think if the driver's side shaft is still okay then no need of changing again

1 Like

Re: 6 Typical Reasons Why Your Transmission System May Not Last Long by BotherMleeper(m): 9:04am On Nov 05, 2019
Ijaya123:

I do this regularly when I'm at a short stop like at a traffic light or go-slow, not to save fuel but to ease the load on the engine when the vehicle is not in motion.

In another instance, I was in a terrible traffic in a hot afternoon and my gear was in Drive all through. Then I noticed the temperature indicator started moving up. By instinct, the first thing that came to my mind was to shift the gear to Neutral which lead to an obvious ease on the engine. A short while later, the indicator came down back to place.

I agree with your first and second paragraph absolutely. There seem to be lots of drivers guilty of this act these days. Lost count of time I've corrected people about this.

True

Just like a lot of Nigerians don't care about MIL or Check Engine lights. Once the car runs and drives, the heck with it.
Re: 6 Typical Reasons Why Your Transmission System May Not Last Long by Ipodisacriminal: 9:33am On Nov 05, 2019
PheelzAlmighty:

You will buy one soon ijn

1 Like

Re: 6 Typical Reasons Why Your Transmission System May Not Last Long by SlyPe(m): 9:36am On Nov 05, 2019
olexjay:
since the driver's side shaft is okay then you should only change the passenger side shaft, try to allow the automobile mechanic do some road test on your car so he could be sure it's really the shaft and not hub, I hope it's not hub anyway but when changing the shaft I advice you to confirm that it's not hub cuz sometimes it might be hub due to the strange noise you hearing

Wow I never knew about this "hub" ... Thanks

1 Like

Re: 6 Typical Reasons Why Your Transmission System May Not Last Long by olexjay(m): 9:59am On Nov 05, 2019
SlyPe:

Wow I never knew about this "hub" ... Thanks
you're welcome.... Tell your automobile mechanic to also help you check the hub

1 Like

Re: 6 Typical Reasons Why Your Transmission System May Not Last Long by isax(m): 10:22am On Nov 05, 2019
PheelzAlmighty:

get the knowledge to add value to yourself and others in the meantime.
Re: 6 Typical Reasons Why Your Transmission System May Not Last Long by wilcox(m): 10:27am On Nov 05, 2019
Very informative. This are the kind of things we should see on front page.
This post must have saved some body ftom spending some huge amount of money.

1 Like

Re: 6 Typical Reasons Why Your Transmission System May Not Last Long by gobuchinny: 10:29am On Nov 05, 2019
toaterry:

God will grant you the grace to buy one.

Whixh one is grace to buy car again shocked shocked. Ordinary car wey even person wey no get grace dey buy na em God go grant you grace to buy? So even if you then buy d car that means God has blessed you abi?

Nigerians and religion. D thing dey taya person

2 Likes

Re: 6 Typical Reasons Why Your Transmission System May Not Last Long by achi4u(m): 10:50am On Nov 05, 2019
SlyPe:
If it is only two days, change the passenger side too because the driver's side is still OK.

1 Like

Re: 6 Typical Reasons Why Your Transmission System May Not Last Long by Peterosky(m): 11:19am On Nov 05, 2019
post=83751718:
Very good thread.

Thanks OP.

We can relate!
.Why are you this hated my NLers? or is it because of your support for a dead brain President? Cause I see your comments on this forum being cancelled always. Maybe you need to tender an unreserved apology to NLers.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Typical Reasons Why Your Transmission System May Not Last Long by paix(m): 11:21am On Nov 05, 2019
PheelzAlmighty:
No knowledge is a waste. There's time for everything.

(1) (2) (Reply)

4 Typical Signs Of A Failing Radiator / 10 Skills Every Female Car Driver Should Have / Has A Kid Ever Scratched Your Car? Like Written A, B. C...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.