Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,568 members, 7,812,837 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:22 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (128) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1981898 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (125) (126) (127) (128) (129) (130) (131) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by pauloverdi: 12:45am On Oct 23, 2017
Lol at car shopping. I don buy car register am sef. All with my naija dl. Been driving for like 2 weeks now sef. How i for take manage all the daycare and shopping moves? Will do the knowledge test next month sha. (quote author=Ballerz post=61632847]

Salford Salford.... You did not give me the specific info I asked via email. I have madam's contact o, don't get it twisted. That Kitchen strike is looming. you will chop your poundo yam in powder (Wa je iyen e ni isu)

@Car shopping... Me wey don buy car, collect insurance quote before DriveTest. Iyen lo n pe ni "I must pass this test at once by faith."
I reached out to the instructor on a Saturday and told him we are going for testing on Thursday. (He did the booking becos I wasn't getting any date b4 19th.) He asked, have you driven in CDN before I said No. He said you can't pass this test. I looked him in the eye and said "I am passing" and we are going for it in 5 days. (That 19th was key becos car seller don dey disturb my voicemail say make I come commot the car from them showroom, and I said give me till 19th. They had said I cannot take delivery of the car becos I don't have a G).

After Day 1, instructor now had confidence in me that your driving is very good, You just need to learn the instructions. Come see MSB Rhythm. Me I changed it to MSTH = Mirror Signal Turn your Head

You know they said once examiner match brake for you, that is the end of testing. My examiner matched brake o. I said It was still orange so I could still go. I asked "have I failed the test" She said "Sir, please continue with the drive test" So test continue o. We got to carpark, did all the maneuvers, reverse packing, straight line parking.... When I hear that word congratulation, omo.... that was a solid nice birthday gift. Everyone had said they won't give you from G1 to G (Since you have never driven in Canada before). I kept rebuking allllllllllllllll of them say I must collect this thing. It was God jare.

Kwasi took four of us there. He picked me up at 4.15am in Brampton, We drove down to Toronto to pick the other 3 candidates before heading to test location. Omo... the place far die. 3 went for G, one went for G2. I was the only obote among the G testers. Other two don dey drive for Canada on G2. I passed, Jamaican Passed, but the other Nigerian lady did not make it.

Those instructors are making stupid money. 30 dollars per session and they can have like 5 sessions in a day. On drive test date, He took four of us there, that is 200*4 = 800 Dollars. cool cash. Nontaxable becos na cash transactions. The first day they told me I was going to pay 200 dollars for test date for him to take me there and use his car, I wanted to have a heart attack. 200 ginni for what? why wasn't I told before we started this whole thing?. I just said, I must not pay this 200 twice. Okay... continue with the process. I will bring you your money tomorrow.

I got a good deal on insurance as a member of HRPA.

Where is Maternal. I don miss my padi of life. [/quote]
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by XX01(f): 1:41am On Oct 23, 2017
Hephgirl:
it's means u have 6 months from August 1st.

Cc mummyjaygirls vcole and other seniors
U r to land on or before 6 months after ur medical or expiration of ur passport abi?

Nah. It is 1 year. Date is normally stated in the visa.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mclarry(m): 2:07am On Oct 23, 2017
One year from medicals or expiration of passport, whichever comes first. Yes, visa expiry date is usually stated on stamped visa and COPR.
XX01:

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by XX01(f): 3:13am On Oct 23, 2017
Abeehorlar:
Hi everyone, please I need your help. We are family of 4(husband, Wife with two kids) planing to apply for Canada visa though myself and my son have USA visa but my husband and my daughter does not have, infact we just came back from USA. Please what is our chance with Canada visa before we apply and how can we apply, please advise.
Please note that my husband and daughter was denied USA visa
Thanks in advance

Go to this thread and read from page 0. Then you can ask your questions there.

https://www.nairaland.com/3999848/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Hephgirl: 6:46am On Oct 23, 2017
XX01:

Ok thanks alot
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ehrnie: 9:11am On Oct 23, 2017
A555:

@Ehrnie: Do I have to wait till I get my passport back from the VO before I start the EIT application? I'm guessing you did yours from outside Canada. I'm particularly looking at the question on citizenship, and want to be careful not to misrepresent myself all for the wont to wait an additional couple of weeks, if that's required.

Also, did you indicate 0 years of experience or 3 years, so it takes you to the Member-In-Training option? I've got 10+ years but all non canadian.

Hi - I got my passport + CoPR back before I started my APEGA Registration. I don't recall any question on citizenship but I know there was a question on PR status (can't recall how it was worded though). Someone on this thread said he/she called APEGA and they confirmed that YES, you can start your registration outside CAN. I think that's the best thing to do because the application process can take up to 9 months. The last thing you want is to get to CAN and not be able to get a job related to your discipline because you are waiting on APEGA to come through.

I have just skimmed through the APEGA guide for P. Eng & Licensee and I see the citizenship question was asked. Perhaps this is what you are looking at instead of the Member-In-Training form....

With regards to the years of work experience I think I have a bit of clarity on that now after speaking with a friend who is an Engineer in Alberta. So, if you indicate your work experience (which is over 4 years), you can be eligible for Engineering Licensee. An Engineering Licensee is someone that would have been eligible for P. Eng status but just lacks Canadian experience. So, the same rules apply where one still must work under a PEng to gain the 1-year experience.

Note that if you go for the Licensee option, you will have to write the NPPE exam and fill in a logbook outlining your work experience. In my opinion starting with EIT is a better option since you’ve not written the NPPE yet and once you write it and all your experience is logged in and accounted for, you’ll get your PEng automatically.

The choice is yours -all the best!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by trishachi: 11:53am On Oct 23, 2017
Hephgirl:

U r to land on or before 6 months after ur medical or expiration of ur passport abi?

You PR Visa has an expiry date on it (usually one year from you medicals). You are to land on or before that date (preferably before and definitely b4 your passport expires). You cant come and be travelling with expired passport shocked shocked grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by LMay(f): 11:58am On Oct 23, 2017
esosa4real:

Ekpekus how ur side!! Been reading your posts! Are u a doc? If you would like to join a doctors pathway group, pls let me know so I invite you!!

Btw, about this health care aide certification, what jobs can one get from it? Is it available as an online course? And is it in alberta and ONTARIO?

@Esosa4real

I'll like to join the doctors pathway group, please invite me. I'm a doc. Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yimiton(f): 12:12pm On Oct 23, 2017
Thanks
flyhigh1881:

You can get PTA from Access bank with your one way ticket and your PR visa.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yimiton(f): 12:25pm On Oct 23, 2017
Please how are you guys handing the requirement for credit history or evidence of job in getting an apartment?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yimiton(f): 12:34pm On Oct 23, 2017
Please, is there anyone on this forum who lives in Waterloo?

I need heads-up on accommodation, job, everyday life etc.

I was initially considering London but from research, I have noticed that the labour market is not very good, so, we're not looking at Waterloo.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Lalaska(m): 1:11pm On Oct 23, 2017
yimiton:
Thanks

Abeg which branch did you purchase your PTA
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by damonas: 1:25pm On Oct 23, 2017
vcole:
hi everyone been a minute. @Ehrnie, you are female! i am also a bit surprised at that revelation. LOL!!!

@impish well done @ your home schooling. I do not think I can home school my toddler, he is that child that literally lives for the great outdoors and thrives on socializing. He speaks to people on the elevator, in malls, on the street when we go for walks, etcetera. In fact, most of the people we have now met and been acquainted with is thanks to the lil' man. So, he has started off at a day home this fall. The past 4 months with him at home were "epic" coupled with the fact that I have an infant. It was just about time for him to go out. Rotflmao!
@the ipad situation, my son wasn't a TV or tablet child until we got here and he developed an addiction to his tablet that I got so worried about. Surprisingly after about 2 months he woke up one day and was over it. So, with kids I think they transition from one stage to the next. Try to reduce his screen time but don't fret over it, he would move on before you say Jack.

@salford1 this una weather na one in town. Last week, i forgot to check the forecast and dressed very light when I went out. Let's just say that would NEVER happen again! I literally froze my a** off and had to make an impromptu and unnecessary jacket purchase since I had a meeting and could not go back home.

However, so far so good in Calgary. Greetings to all!

Hi @vcole please I sent a pm kindly respond thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ogundre: 2:10pm On Oct 23, 2017
Hephgirl:

I have seen many seniors have responded already. Just like they said I have always heard its one year from the date I did my medicals or my passport expiry which ever comes first. I am yet to get my passport back and CoPR, will see the timeline I have when I do.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 2:29pm On Oct 23, 2017
yimiton:
Please how are you guys handing the requirement for credit history or evidence of job in getting an apartment?

Any one who asks you for those and you do not have them, simply move on to the next vacancy/next opportunity. That's what I did till got a building where they waived those requirements.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 2:34pm On Oct 23, 2017
yimiton:
Please, is there anyone on this forum who lives in Waterloo?

I need heads-up on accommodation, job, everyday life etc.

I was initially considering London but from research, I have noticed that the labour market is not very good, so, we're not looking at Waterloo.

You need to consider your professional background and review the availability of work opportunities for someone with your background. As it were, I was in that locality yesterday to check out some properties and been doing some research on the place. Waterloo is largely a university town with Uni of Waterloo and Wilfrid Laurier Uni. Some large insurance companies have operations there and struggling Blackberry also has a base there.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DatechMan(m): 3:07pm On Oct 23, 2017
Cherryola:
Pls I need your help my Canada study permit application have been refuse since March now I want to reapply next month but my uncle who is my sponsor is not in Nigeria till next year hope that doesn't mean if he's signature is not on the affidavit and latter head paper but he will be giving the rest of the document

Check here

https://www.nairaland.com/3948393/canadian-student-visa-thread-part
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Cherryola: 3:47pm On Oct 23, 2017
Thx i understand better but now that I want to reapply can I use my uncle who's my mother younger brother as my new sponsorship and my dad as co sponsorship
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yimiton(f): 4:20pm On Oct 23, 2017
Ha! God bless you! I really love this comment. If you made it, I can.

Did you use Kijiji? If not, who did you use?

Blackbuddy:

Any one who asks you for those and you do not have them, simply move on to the next vacancy/next opportunity. That's what I did till got a building where they waived those requirements.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Rebarobyn: 4:25pm On Oct 23, 2017
Abby2017:
Hi,
Please tell "someone" someone told you to read the pages of the link below from page 0.
cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 5:39pm On Oct 23, 2017
yimiton:
Ha! God bless you! I really love this comment. If you made it, I can.

Did you use Kijiji? If not, who did you use?

Yes indeed, I used kijiji, 4rent.ca and a host of other online sources. I would find the vacancies that met my spec, call the landlord/building manager and tell them straight on the phone that I'm a landed PR, skilled professional with my family and looking for accommodation. I told them as it was upfront so that those who don't like my 'profile' can just tell me not to bother to come. For those who did not mind, I made appointment to go see them, discuss the vacancy and inspect the place. That was how I met my building manager, she saw I and my wife, heard about our professional backgrounds and she said you are the sort of people I need in my building. This was after numerous earlier disappointments at other places but you have to approach this like applying for a job or going for interview. Some won't work out but one surely will so don't take it personal but keep moving. I agree wholeheartedly, you can make it!

42 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by flyhigh1881: 1:10am On Oct 24, 2017
Blackbuddy:

Yes indeed, I used kijiji, 4rent.ca and a host of other online sources. I would find the vacancies that met my spec, call the landlord/building manager and tell them straight on the phone that I'm a landed PR, skilled professional with my family and looking for accommodation. I told them as it was upfront so that those who don't like my 'profile' can just tell me not to bother to come. For those who did not mind, I made appointment to go see them, discuss the vacancy and inspect the place. That was how I met my building manager, she saw I and my wife, heard about our professional backgrounds and she said you are the sort of people I need in my building. This was after numerous earlier disappointments at other places but you have to approach this like applying for a job or going for interview. Some won't work out but one surely will so don't take it personal but keep moving. I agree wholeheartedly, you can make it!

Just to add a little to what Senior blackbuddy has said. Some landlords will rent out if you tell them you can/will pay cash for maybe some months and some will just need proof that you really do have the money so they can ask to see bank statement so they see you actually have money in the account. With that, they will rent out.

6 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by merrymum: 3:36am On Oct 24, 2017
Hello everyone!
So we landed in Calgary 5 days ago. Flew KLM from Lagos to Amsterdam (6hr stopover), then from Amsterdam to Calgary. Flight from Lagos was OK, but I got to see another annoying side of how things work in Nigeria. The plane we used from Lagos to Nigeria was just there, entertainment screen was horrible, food was manageable. But the flight from Amsterdam was too different. Was almost as if we were in another airline: very nice, bigger better screens, much better food, plenty of snacks, drinks, even ice cream, nicer air hostesses. It is well with Naija o, accepting all sorts of trash airplanes into the country.

After we landed in Calgary, we went through immigration, which took like 2mins, then the guy directed us to pick our luggage and go to the landing section. The guy here was much nicer, welcomed us to Canada and collected our passports, landing card and COPR. Went through the forms, asked if we had any foodstuff. I answered dried vegetables, grounded seeds and some spices. Then he said that’s fine, just wanted to know if you had any meat or raw food. We signed COPRs, got our copies, some advice from the officer and we were good to go. Everything took like 10mins.

Our host was already waiting for us. Got to the house, ate and slept off like logs. Next morning, we went to Service Canada office for our SIN. Also got our health cards (temporary ones, waiting for the permanent ones). So far, we have gotten a family doctor, done some bloodwork, pretty much setting up our medical records. Did some apartment search and finally saw something that suited our budget and needs today. Hoping to move in next week.
That is it for now… All the best to us all!

104 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Triv: 9:22am On Oct 24, 2017
merrymum:

Our host was already waiting for us. Got to the house, ate and slept off like logs. Next morning, we went to Service Canada office for our SIN. Also got our health cards (temporary ones, waiting for the permanent ones). So far, we have gotten a family doctor, done some bloodwork, pretty much setting up our medical records.

Hey congrats merrymum on your landing, please what did you use as proof of address for your health card registration?

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yimiton(f): 10:00am On Oct 24, 2017
Thanks a lot. This is very useful information.

Blackbuddy:

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 3:09pm On Oct 24, 2017
Welcome Merrymum.

@damonas please kindly ask your question here. It's easier that way and benefits others as well.

@ballerz it's $145 For an advanced grade 5 road test in Alberta and $22.50 For the license when you pass. Affordable instructors charge $110/2hrs. So if you do the math that your $200 was affordable in a way. I wonder why the dealership didn't sell you the car. If I'm not mistaken you can buy and register your vehicle with your foreign license. That's what we did when we landed initially.

@yimiton, you'll find one that would waive those requirements for you. Just keep on searching.

9 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Cherryola: 3:44pm On Oct 24, 2017
Pls house can I use my mother younger brother who's my uncle as my sponsorship and my dad as co sponsorship
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 3:52pm On Oct 24, 2017
Cherryola:
Pls house can I use my mother younger brother who's my uncle as my sponsorship and my dad as co sponsorship
Hello Cherryola, first you have to let us know if you intend to apply for study visa or express entry? If study Visa, you should ask your questions in the right thread.

However, if for express entry you should also ask in the right thread but be informed that any proof of fund you will need should be in your name or that of your spouse or a joint account only. All the best.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by freeradical(m): 3:58pm On Oct 24, 2017
fabdee:
Hello beautiful people...sorry for the delay with my gist. grin

Sooo the first official checked our passports and b.pass...... off to the next queue, the guy already had a list. I was like ehen....its about to go down. To God be the gloryyyyy we were not on the list yayyyy my fish, crayfish, ponmo, vegetable, groundnut, egusi, ogbono etc and I started dancing skelewu....we scaled through Pharaoh of Egypt hahaha grin grin
Oook boarded the next flight...we off to toronto...bigger plane (airbus i guess) take off was cool...no ear pains just a couple of blocking and reopening..... Food came....took the bread and cheese jejely as usual.....twas a long 12hr flight, inflight entertainment was much better.....Touch down Toronto.......went through immigration........service canada(got our SIN)..........went to baggage area to get our bags.......got a porter to assist, old man charged 20CAD, i was like wawuu just to push load? Na wa o. grin

Next is customs......
Custom: what foodstuff do you have in your luggage?

We: dried cassava, dried fish.....

Custom interrupts: do you have snails, meat?

We: NO

Custom: ok you can go. Do have a great time.

We: ������ grin grin

Custom: ohh do you have goods to follow?

We: Yes

Custom: sorry go this way

We: �� shocked angry another queue ooo

By the time we were through with all that, we had missed our flight. We were placed on the next available flight to Edmonton which was like 30min so we didnt have to wait for long.

Touch down Edmonton.....we had already rented an apartment before we left naija. We got a friend to come pick us....got to our new apartment and had a lonnggggg sleep.

Next day we went to get phone lines....my dearest Techno fone did not collabo with the sim(koodo) so i had to get a new phone. Wuld be paying 63Caccounthly as opposed to 55CAD if it was just the sim.
Next stop was RBC bank to open an account.

Nextttt we shopping...at first every item i picked had to go thru a mini second multiply by 300naira, shocked drop it...how much we dey buy am for naija grin buh then i realised i will leave the mall without buying a thing oo grin

Next day we went to the registry to register for our health insurance cards. We are yet to go to any of the welcome centers, should do that in the coming week.

Its been ten days now and I've been enjoying every bit of it.
Wishing everyone landing soon a safe trip and those yet to get ppr, success!y
Cheers everyone.
Welcome to Edmonton ma'am. We should chill out sometime. I sent u a PM

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by merrymum: 4:48pm On Oct 24, 2017
Triv:

Hey congrats merrymum on your landing, please what did you use as proof of address for your health card registration?

The lady just asked for the SIN card and made a copy of it. She said that would be sufficient. But offices like where you get a driver's license might insist on utility bills as proof of address.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (125) (126) (127) (128) (129) (130) (131) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 175
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.