Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,156 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:53 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (160) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1980182 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (157) (158) (159) (160) (161) (162) (163) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Oben209(f): 10:12pm On Dec 15, 2017
Nogen:
Finally here!!! Please, do we have anyone in Quebec here. Moving to Sherbrooke in Quebec with my children on a study visa this December. How's the weather, trnsport system, accommodation , daycare services?

Would be happy to get some responses. Thanks all

Hi Nogen..
Please I need you to help me go through my research statement. Thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by CAstruggle(m): 11:49pm On Dec 15, 2017
AZeD1:
Anyone who Software Developer/Web developer about to land in Ottawa anytime soon?
Me, Landing at Windsor ON

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 12:23am On Dec 16, 2017
CAstruggle:
Me, Landing at Windsor ON
An ecommerce in Montreal invited me for an interview but I'm not going and the HR guy is asking for recommendations.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 5:10am On Dec 16, 2017
[quote author=kachikapor post=63310611][/quote]

I am in Mississauga. My dear, i don't know who will get job where. It is possible she gets a job in the bank. With God all things are possible.

You want to start your ACCA conversion after you have landed? It's all up to you but it's good you get your CPA as soon as possible because ACCA is not appreciated here. Instead of seeing ACCA as a job requirement, you will see sound knowledge of IFRS.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 5:13am On Dec 16, 2017
Blackbuddy:

Looking forward to this Meadowvale story, Ontario chronicles loading smiley

Yes in fullness of time, the testimony will be shared.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maygreaves(m): 6:09am On Dec 16, 2017
Blackbuddy:

salford1 is right, the bicycle as a primary use of transport in Canada is only possible in dreams smiley And now that winter is here where even car driving takes skill, bicycles have all gone into storage and it's not an exaggeration. It's just not feasible so rathe,r budget up to $4,000.00 for a decent used car to get you around depending on your taste. But beware of cars that are dirt cheap to avoid buying a lemon, you want to own/use the car and not the other way around. After landing for me, it was buses, taxis and trains until my wife got her job then I opened my tight hands and got a car tongue I just wanted to hold on to our POF until Canadian income was coming in to avoid using money for family living to maintain a car, pay insurance, etc. It helped that we landed in summer and that my kids loved the buses here since they had never used public transport/taxis back in Nigeria. I remember the first time I took them on keke Napep in my Gbagada neighborhood for the experience, it was like Disney World to them! cheesy
Anyway, once you're used to Google Maps as a means to plan your movements and get a travel card like Ontario's Presto, you will do okay. The key is to plan your trips out, note the route and the wether you will need buses/trains (I recommend using them just to help you learn to get around your city) and always set out early. If you have young kids, then taxis will do the trick for you for family outings.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maygreaves(m): 6:14am On Dec 16, 2017
einsteino:

the bolded alone just make person wan konk you.. why not stay to experience the consequences of your action?

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Love this thread, God bless you all.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 40manlappy: 8:02am On Dec 16, 2017
AZeD1:

An ecommerce in Montreal invited me for an interview but I'm not going and the HR guy is asking for recommendations.

God bless you bro! smiley

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mcstan18(m): 1:01pm On Dec 16, 2017
TEECANN:

Maternal has said it all.

Bro, if it is 200k/mth that you are really earning in here in naija, please don't even bother, just pack your luggage and move immediately to Canny soon as you get your CoPR....I was waiting to read 1million naira/month from you grin...and even at that, guys that I know that are within 1million/month salary region are not even thinking it twice. In Lagos, living within decent standards, 900k-1million/month is just barely covering the mammoth list of expenses and family responsibilities that you have to contend with, so much that these my guys with that type of inflows are still complaining like small boys like us. grin grin

@Beube, how many kids do you have and what is your NOC and job experience area? Drop these info and I can say some things more...however, my bro, on expense for expense, quality of life for quality of life (including the kids' future), suffering for suffering...generally speaking, I guarantee you, you will be better of on the long run in Canada, If you can weather that 1st 10months to 1 year, then you are in! (None of my friends that have left returned out of not being able to survive, that says something. grin grin)

On the job issue, trust your God and your abilities...don't expect an immediate miracle (it may happen though), plan for 10-12 months of "no job" period in Canada...fill this time with a strategically lined up activities to engage yourself in, which should be directed at your getting a job before the expiration of that waiting period.

Go to Canada with savings ready for the first 10 months for rent, feeding and other basic utilities for your family.

Regarding the bolded above, I laugh.... grin grin grin. Nigerians and "projects" and this really got me thinking....Hmmmm

Let me ask you a question, what makes us do the things we do in this part of the world?- our type of society!

Most of us grew to know that the system does not have a social buffer/fall back for us...nothing! So when God finally answer our prayers and we get a job, we start the rat race....acquire, acquire, acquire...lands, start building, build more, buy more lands, never having a life of relaxation and enjoyment at any point in time, no specially planned family vacation, not really doing what we love to do at any point in time...some even console themselves that they are doing the several projects so that their children will not suffer...all these are understandable because of the peculiarities of our society...

Whenever I talk with friends on this Canny hustle, I always advice.. whenever you cross over to Canada, "Try to question your Nigerian Acquired Value systems...what makes you do what you have always known to be what to do? Is it right?, Is it fueled by fear of the unknown? or that wanton Blackman's egoistic gratifications? Why do we chase after so much material acquisitions and millions here? Will all these Nigerian Acquired Valuesystem be necessary where the system (Canny) is working and has your back in the event of a worse case scenario?

Take the opportunity of this relocation and a re-starting of life, to re-choose our life preferences, query what drives us--to amass the millions, wanting to oppress and show off or what? Rebuild your valuesystem in line with sane society best practices, volunteer your time in a cause you are passionate about, help people consciously (go out of your way to exhibit those fine behaviors and integrity known with most oyinbos, consciously do these to make them become part of you because from home, it is not naturally in our DNA to do these)...our kids will generally be on a good path civility-wise by virtue of that environment but we also have a duty to guide them properly with the good parts of our African traditional values (not everything from our society is bad, our culture is rich and imbibing it is beautiful! cheesy)

(WHEN you reevaluate your life drive and restructure it appropriately according to sanity of a developed society, one thing is certain, you will be calm, contented and fulfilled. Trust me, whenever you come visiting Nigeria in the next 5 years, you will look at colleagues that you left behind and be sad, not because you are richer than them (in fact they may even be monetarily richer than you), you will be sad because all you are seeing are old friends still chasing the "rat" in the same race, not having really realized the taste of contentment and a fulfilled life all the years you were away!

I even told some that if I decide to go to work on my bicycle in Naija, some that don't know me will say "Ehyah, poverty has really dealt this man a big blow, God will help him soon grin" Those that know me will say "He is so stingy to even himself, we know he can buy a jeep and look at him, he is using bicycle to the office" grin

But if I critically take look at my need in Canada and decide to go to my office some blocks away on my bicycle, I'm sure nobody will give a hoot, even if I am a manager there and the office tea girl is driving a Range Rover to the office everyday...that is valuesystem modifications! grin

God bless us all!

It will all end in praise IJN

How I wish I could like this post multiple times.

Brother, I have copied, saved, printed, laminated and filed this purpose redefining expository message. I know I'll need it someday in the future and I shall show it to my kids too. There's no aspect of sanity (as regards the subject matter) that you didn't touch, be it subtly or impliedly. GOD BLESS YOU.

16 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TEECANN: 1:28pm On Dec 16, 2017
Blackbuddy:

salford1 is right, the bicycle as a primary use of transport in Canada is only possible in dreams smiley And now that winter is here where even car driving takes skill, bicycles have all gone into storage and it's not an exaggeration. It's just not feasible so rathe,r budget up to $4,000.00 for a decent used car to get you around depending on your taste. But beware of cars that are dirt cheap to avoid buying a lemon, you want to own/use the car and not the other way around. After landing for me, it was buses, taxis and trains until my wife got her job then I opened my tight hands and got a car tongue I just wanted to hold on to our POF until Canadian income was coming in to avoid using money for family living to maintain a car, pay insurance, etc. It helped that we landed in summer and that my kids loved the buses here since they had never used public transport/taxis back in Nigeria. I remember the first time I took them on keke Napep in my Gbagada neighborhood for the experience, it was like Disney World to them! cheesy
Anyway, once you're used to Google Maps as a means to plan your movements and get a travel card like Ontario's Presto, you will do okay. The key is to plan your trips out, note the route and the wether you will need buses/trains (I recommend using them just to help you learn to get around your city) and always set out early. If you have young kids, then taxis will do the trick for you for family outings.

I laugh so deeply at the bolded above...I can relate with the above...my wife had issues with her car some weeks ago and had to charter keke napep to go pick the kids at school, when I returned from work, she told me how excited they were and felt so on top of the world going on the keke for the 1st time ever! Next day when she eventually got her car back and went picking them in school, they asked her why couldn't they go on another ride on the keke napep? grin grin

BTW, you stayed in gbagada whilst in Nigeria...I'm sure that your former residence is a trekkable distance from mine.

It is surely ending in praise IJN!

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by CAstruggle(m): 2:22pm On Dec 16, 2017
AZeD1:

Recommend me please. But I would be landing early February. Is that too late?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 2:27pm On Dec 16, 2017
CAstruggle:

Recommend me please. But I would be landing early February. Is that too late?
I think February would be too late but I'll respond with the message "the person I can recommend right now is not in the country" and we would see if he gets back to me.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by esosa4real(m): 4:34pm On Dec 16, 2017
Ekpekus:

Giving answer to your last question..
Yes there is loan, both federal and provincial in Alberta. You might also get a grant self.
If you really wan go school, then take loan cos you can't be using POF to be paying for school fees except your pocket is deep. Collect the money keep, use the grant and when you are almost done with your schooling, pay off your loan. However, if na small small you wan take pay off the loan, that option still dey.

Dockay how far nah, longtime, Wats d situation report!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 7:25pm On Dec 16, 2017
Newmum0615:
@Blackbuddy good evening. I am in desperate need of your advice. My PR application depends on it. Can I please send you a PM please? It's a question I'd rather not ask here. Thanks.

I just responded to your PM. Let's see if we can resolve the challenge.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 7:49pm On Dec 16, 2017
esosa4real:

Dockay how far nah, longtime, Wats d situation report!
Dockay now when your bp don come back to normal. How far landing?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 7:51pm On Dec 16, 2017
Una no vex. I know this is the wrong thread for this but abeg no vex. Please help me torchlight this kweshun. Does anyone know what the rules are for updating family info after receiving ppr but before copr?
I have someone who just got ppr on thursday and was already scheduled to marry on Saturday. As per they had done intro months before and had done the registry app thing and Saturday was d approved wedding date. However ppr came on thursday.
Can he still update his info that he's now married and what are the implications? His timeline from aor to ppr was 4 weeks so it was unexpected.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newmum0615: 8:21pm On Dec 16, 2017
Thanks. I have responded.
Blackbuddy:

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vascey(m): 8:24pm On Dec 16, 2017
AZeD1:

Hello pls have you landed in Canada? If not, how did you get an invite from the company? Please share the method you used in applying for the job from Nigeria.
Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 8:34pm On Dec 16, 2017
vascey:

Hello pls have you landed in Canada? If not, how did you get an invite from the company? Please share the method you used in applying for the job from Nigeria.
Thanks
I have landed already but you can still apply from Nigeria. If you have a place to stay when you land, use that as you address then get an app that can give you a Canadian number.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Santino1(m): 9:08pm On Dec 16, 2017
vcole:
Una no vex. I know this is the wrong thread for this but abeg no vex. Please help me torchlight this kweshun. Does anyone know what the rules are for updating family info after receiving ppr but before copr?
I have someone who just got ppr on thursday and was already scheduled to marry on Saturday. As per they had done intro months before and had done the registry app thing and Saturday was d approved wedding date. However ppr came on thursday.
Can he still update his info that he's now married and what are the implications? His timeline from aor to ppr was 4 weeks so it was unexpected.

I don't know if this helps (or if it's generic) but when I got my PPR, there was nota bene in bold stating that I should notify the Paris Visa Office (where my application was handled) immediately if there has been a change in my family status/composition (can't remember the exact wordings now). Thus, to answer your question, s/he should contact his/her VO before sending the passport and I believe s/he will be advised on how to proceed.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DrGaius(m): 9:55pm On Dec 16, 2017
Thank you everyone on this thread. Kindly help with your advice. I plan to move to Canada with my wife. Just wedded. How easy would it be to go with her?. She makes shoes and bags while am an IT pro. Which province will be good for us. What kind of job can she easily get?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AlexanderGreat(m): 2:22am On Dec 17, 2017
vcole:
He should send a mail to Ottawa (I hope his VO was ottawa) notifying them that he just got married and would like to include her as accompanying spouse. He should also ask them if he could still go ahead and send his passport now or wait till he's sent another PPR that will come after his wife's documents must have been uploaded and reviewed. The only implication is that his timeline will further increase by maybe a month or even less.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 2:45am On Dec 17, 2017
AlexanderGreat:

He should send a mail to Ottawa (I hope his VO was ottawa) notifying them that he just got married and would like to include her as accompanying spouse. He should also ask them if he could still go ahead and send his passport now or wait till he's sent another PPR that will come after his wife's documents must have been uploaded and reviewed. The only implication is that his timeline will further increase by maybe a month or even less.
Santino1:

I don't know if this helps (or if it's generic) but when I got my PPR, there was nota bene in bold stating that I should notify the Paris Visa Office (where my application was handled) immediately if there has been a change in my family status/composition (can't remember the exact wordings now). Thus, to answer your question, s/he should contact his/her VO before sending the passport and I believe s/he will be advised on how to proceed.
Thanks so much. Quite helpful. Also came across similar experiences online. Ottawa is the VO or at least we think it is. Ppr email came from ircc.cpco
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by soja84: 5:52am On Dec 17, 2017
Blackbuddy:

@Blackbuddy, I sent you a PM yesterday.Kindly respond,Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nogen: 5:56am On Dec 17, 2017
OK Family! Good Morning from Naija. I have some concerns and I hope to get some answers here.

Been reading up on Air Maroc reviews and they are giving me some cold chills. Been asking myself who sent me? Never used them before. Used to flying Klm, Air France, Virgin Atlantic, Delta and Emirates. But when I look at the amount of money we would be saving , it makes so much sense. It can pay about 1 year house rent for us in Canada. Also, my POE is Montréal, my base.

Those who have used Air Maroc here, please I need your reviews. Na your own I go believe. Lol. How's their service, in flight entertainment, the Casablanca airport? Thanks as i await your responses.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 6:53am On Dec 17, 2017
Nogen:
OK Family! Good Morning from Naija. I have some concerns and I hope to get some answers here.

Been reading up on Air Maroc reviews and they are giving me some cold chills. Been asking myself who sent me? Never used them before. Used to flying Klm, Air France, Virgin Atlantic, Delta and Emirates. But when I look at the amount of money we would be saving , it makes so much sense. It can pay about 1 year house rent for us in Canada. Also, my POE is Montréal, my base.

Those who have used Air Maroc here, please I need your reviews. Na your own I go believe. Lol. How's their service, in flight entertainment, the Casablanca airport? Thanks as i await your responses.
I used Air Marroc and the flight was ok.. Long but ok.

From Lagos to Casablanca, there was no inflight entertainment but there flight is 4:30hrs.

I had a 7 hours lay over at Casablanca and we were taking to a lounge. The lounge is ok. There are beds, Couches and free WiFi ( sit at the dining area to get good WiFi service).
I was also served food at the lounge so hunger no kill me.

From Casablanca to Montreal you get inflight entertainment because it's a bigger plane.

You'd probably clear immigration at Montreal and if your final destination is Ottawa, I suggest you take the bus from the airport to Ottawa at 12 am rather than spend the night at the airport.

Overall my experience with Air Marroc was good and I have no problems flying them again.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nogen: 7:55am On Dec 17, 2017
AZeD1:

I used Air Marroc and the flight was ok.. Long but ok.

From Lagos to Casablanca, there was no inflight entertainment but there flight is 4:30hrs.

I had a 7 hours lay over at Casablanca and we were taking to a lounge. The lounge is ok. There are beds, Couches and free WiFi ( sit at the dining area to get good WiFi service).
I was also served food at the lounge so hunger no kill me.

From Casablanca to Montreal you get inflight entertainment because it's a bigger plane.

You'd probably clear immigration at Montreal and if your final destination is Ottawa, I suggest you take the bus from the airport to Ottawa at 12 am rather than spend the night at the airport.

Overall my experience with Air Marroc was good and I have no problems flying them again.

Thanks a lot . This is a huge relief. Going to Quebec and Montreal is the economic capital. Have booked a bus online to our final destination Sherbrooke.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by esosa4real(m): 8:37am On Dec 17, 2017
vcole:

Dockay now when your bp don come back to normal. How far landing?

My sister, i was just thinking about messaging you days ago ooh. I go stilo email you.

I dey wait for copr, if not my flight was supposed to be this coming Thursday but seems i will move it.

Yes my BP, be don go down but it's rising again because accra is still holding my passport for one month now.

who did i offend in this canada waka? grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vascey(m): 8:42am On Dec 17, 2017
Nogen:

Thanks a lot . This is a huge relief. Going to Quebec and Montreal is the capital. Have booked a bus online to our final destination Sherbrooke.

Hi Nogen,

Please if u don't mind my prying, why Sherbrooke? Hearing it for the first time. What makes it so great? Will you work there or do you expect to commute to Toronto? Or is housing cheap? Pray tell.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by EJIZY: 9:44am On Dec 17, 2017
esosa4real:

My sister, i was just thinking about messaging you days ago ooh. I go stilo email you.

I dey wait for copr, if not my flight was supposed to be this coming Thursday but seems i will move it.

Yes my BP, be don go down but it's rising again because accra is still holding my passport for one month now.

Mine is 5weeks now, I just tire for Accra making me move all my plans because they have not released passport. Really tot I will spend Xmas in Canny..SMH
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by perks: 9:52am On Dec 17, 2017
esosa4real:

Arabian doc u don suffer too much for dis Canada matter sha cheesy

If I were u I will send a mail to Accra informing them of my flight date and plead for expedited processing. Also attach evidence of the flight confirmation as proof. Worst that can happen is they will ignore. Otherwise they will work on it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by optionese: 10:20am On Dec 17, 2017
Nogen:

Hi i used them to the UK last year. The in flight entertainment to Casablanca was no it at all. However you will change planes in Casablanca to a bigger one so maybe better entertainment.
Food: i loved their food as my only other flight experience is Kenyan Airways.
Airport : The airport is lovely ,lots of fast food joints and places to eat and wait. My kids had a good time .
Also the kids will get play toys and a bag with puzzle and drawing books. You will get blankets ask immediately you get in.

That's what i would most likely use when am relocating too

(1) (2) (3) ... (157) (158) (159) (160) (161) (162) (163) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.