Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,914 members, 7,817,684 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:15 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (157) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1985121 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) (159) (160) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vascey(m): 10:48am On Dec 12, 2017
TEECANN:

A PRAYER FOR MYSELF, MY FAMILY AND ALL WHO DESIRE SAME

For the remaining time that we will be in here (to collect our CoPRs), for our friends & families that we will leave behind, for the times we will come back for holidays and vacation, may this Nigerian system never consume us, our friends & families. IJN, AMEN!

It will surely end in praise IJN!

Amen.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vascey(m): 10:56am On Dec 12, 2017
mclarry:
Migration is not for everybody. If there's no interest in it, one should not be on this thread. Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant is the topic(and not a question) of the thread. Please let's get to read more experiences from our landed brothers and sisters out there to the benefit of those planning to land or even the newly landed. This is a life changing thread and not a gamble, families are involved.

On the flip side, I have been preparing myself for the new life studying for relevant professional qualifications, working with a CANPREP mentor to be job ready in canny and processing admissions for studies to acquire a canny qualification, in my opinion, will help me integrate and adapt to their academic standards. My spouse is also preparing so we can be of benefit to each other and make life easier. We have plans to do a survival job as well as volunteer during the waiting period for the dream job. We have an idea about the neighborhood we will be looking for accommodation, an idea about school for the kids, shopping and other social amenities.

We also do online research every other day and sometimes make phones calls to people to get real answers. I read and learn from this thread regularly. I sieve out what is important to us and add to the heap of information already in our kitty. Shouldn't people be doing same in here? My thoughts.

Now with all the above, we feel very confident about the future, what about you?

My brother this is the same thing I have been saying. Abi them send them ni.
Meanwhile, How are you doing canprep mentoring from here. can you share the link? Is it also possible to partake in those bridging programs while awaiting PR?

I think you are doing great. This is surely the way to go. While I have been working on aligning my current professional qualification with theirs, I am yet to enroll in any school for additional courses. I have also been looking up job openings I am interested in. This will help me tailor my resume properly.

Nice one

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 11:49am On Dec 12, 2017
TEECANN:

A PRAYER FOR MYSELF, MY FAMILY AND ALL WHO DESIRE SAME

For the remaining time that we will be in here (to collect our CoPRs), for our friends & families that we will leave behind, for the times we will come back for holidays and vacation, may this Nigerian system never consume us, our friends & families. IJN, AMEN!

It will surely end in praise IJN!

Amen

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 11:59am On Dec 12, 2017
mclarry:
Migration is not for everybody. If there's no interest in it, one should not be on this thread. Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant is the topic(and not a question) of the thread. Please let's get to read more experiences from our landed brothers and sisters out there to the benefit of those planning to land or even the newly landed. This is a life changing thread and not a gamble, families are involved.

On the flip side, I have been preparing myself for the new life studying for relevant professional qualifications, working with a CANPREP mentor to be job ready in canny and processing admissions for studies to acquire a canny qualification, in my opinion, will help me integrate and adapt to their academic standards. My spouse is also preparing so we can be of benefit to each other and make life easier. We have plans to do a survival job as well as volunteer during the waiting period for the dream job. We have an idea about the neighborhood we will be looking for accommodation, an idea about school for the kids, shopping and other social amenities.

We also do online research every other day and sometimes make phones calls to people to get real answers. I read and learn from this thread regularly. I sieve out what is important to us and add to the heap of information already in our kitty. Shouldn't people be doing same in here? My thoughts.

Now with all the above, we feel very confident about the future, what about you?

how did you get to do canprep from here?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by careerwoman(f): 12:10pm On Dec 12, 2017
shygunXs:

How secure is this RV? One day, you'd just go out and return to the location where you parked it and you would start wondering if that was the spot you left it. Its easy to tow away.

cheesy grin grin It will just be like horror movie

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by careerwoman(f): 12:12pm On Dec 12, 2017
einsteino:

The benefits of using the internet... the world is one click away
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 12:20pm On Dec 12, 2017
That salary is not good enough my brother. Some earn multiples of that and they are on their way out.
In fact I know people earning 1m and above monthly who have left this country. Opportunities abound broaden your horizon.
As someone said earlier. You need to know why you want to leave. This Canadian PR thing is not for the faint hearted.
Beube:
like 200-300k

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by optionese: 12:38pm On Dec 12, 2017
CanadianEnginee:

I agree with all you wrote except the part you said that girls are regarded less in this country. In Nigeria, women get preferential treatment.

Which part ? In marriage ? In police station (where a woman cannot stand as surety) government position? High level positions with having to compromise your moral values?

Yep definitely not this Nigeria where i live now even as a woman of power .

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by careerwoman(f): 1:54pm On Dec 12, 2017
Pidgin2:

Nice post, but you're wrong by saying Nigeria is unknown. Infact, you have the freedom to control your life in Nigeria without committing anything to the govt

Not entirely true.. You do not control your life in Nigeria. As a student, you can't predict your graduation year and make plans for your future. I lost a year because of the incessant strike actions and I know people who lost two or more. As a young guy making money, SARS can stop you anytime and give you the beating of your life. As an employee working for the government, you don't know when the next salary will be paid or if you will be able to meet up with bills and pay your children's fees. As an employee in a private company, you may be paid less than the amount of work you put in and can be sacked anytime without question. Tell me what freedom you're talking about. Start a small business and the govt will force huge taxations on you. What they use the taxes for, I don't know but you might be able to tell me.[/font]

As a high earner in Nigeria, you have the option of sending your kids to the best schools here or abroad, the choice is yours

Thank God you said high earner. I presume you mean those earning 1 million and above a month. Please, how many Nigerians out of 160 million people earn that much. Last I checked, a semester in Covenant University cost over 750,000. Some private primary schools charge up to 250,000 per term. Sending your children abroad is not beans these days. Find out how much international students pay in these countries. Getting forex is not beans either, the banks are making a lot of money by getting dollar at 307 from CBN and selling at 360. This is a complete scam but nobody is complaining because some people are benefitting from it.[/font]
You can produce your own electricity if you don't want to depend on the govt for it, you can remove yourself entirely from paying PHCN bills with no questions asked, hence you can put on your light knowing there will be light all the time. Try alternative power or move to areas with good light supply e.g Osun, Jos, Abuja etc tongue

Osheyy baddest, you've come again. You say?? Again, how many Nigerians can afford to run on generators everyday. Not to think of the environmental pollution (air and noise)it generates. How much is a litre of fuel? One day you will wake up and there will be fuel scarcity or some union strike and all the soups and raw produce you kept in the freezer will waste. With the advent of prepaid metre and increase in PHCN tarriff, you pay through your noses for power supply. Just recently, a friend of mine spent 15,000 for one month without putting on the air conditioner or using the microwave.[/font]

Also, you can chose to stay in service flats with 24/7 light supply and 24/7 security, you don't have to travel to Canada to achieve this, trust me if you can afford a service flat you can have this too. Or better still, take advantage of security gadgets like alarms and such, you can also get a gun licence or employ private security guards.
Oh well, I don't know where you found these service flats. Maybe, you can furnish us with more details. My friend's experience in Lagos:
the service flats she looked at in Ikeja cost roughly 1.3 million naira per year. Again, how many Nigerians can afford this? No 24/7 power supply, you get only 7 hours at night if there's no PHCN light. Security.. Hmm, by the time correct armed robbers decide to remember that area, that security will turn to secur... If you survive, thank God; if you dont, you go to the grave without justice because 80% of the time your true killers will not be put behind bars. [/font]

In Nigeria, just get a sim, register and use your line to access any state or country in the world, no need for long stories, pay as you go, o'er second billing, cheap data.
Na so e easy.. I'm that person who keeps a record of how much I spend on everything. I buy 400 MTN, this gives me only appr 20 mins of talk time for mtn nos and 15 mins for other nos. 9 moblie is worse.. credit will just finish before you say 'hello'. Data plans are expensive. 5GB can finish in one week if you're the type that uses YouTube, Instagram and likes. You cant even scout for free WiFi because that is not very common in Naija public places.[/font]
Your flat should have water running but if it doesn't, I personally will prefare supplying my own treated water via boreholes so that I can maintain the standard to my taste, if this is not your forte, make sure you rent a flat or house with running water or find out how you can get your house connected to the govt's own.
we have a borehole at home so we don't buy water but it increases our power bill. Places with water problems pay for water or use well water. How many people in Nigeria have access to clean water? Around the beginning of the rainy season, we see an influx of children with end stage typhoid in hospitals in Ibadan (reason is too long to state here) 18.9L of CWAY cost 550 naira in Lagos. For two persons, it finishes in 3 days, how much will a family of 4 spend on drinking water in a week? (Recommended daily intake is 3L) I leave that to you.

In Lagos, I assure you that emergency numbers are all working, I'm not too sure about other States but in Lagos, it works.
well, I haven't used the emergency numbers(thank God) so I can't relate.
However, 160 million people can't all live in Lagos. So if only 1 or two states got it right, it still doesn't make Nigeria desirable.
[/font]
To avoid Maina eating your pension funds, you can subscribe to any reputable RSA of your choice and if you are into private business, you can try life assurance policy, these are privately owned not govt's so no Mainas here
How many Nigerians can afford private insurance policies or are knowledgeable enough to obtain these pension plans?.
Out of pocket health funding is still very much with us. NHIS the govt introduced doesn't even cut it. However, healthcare is expensive everywhere though. If only our govt can step up. I hate to think about how much of our money the president spent while in the UK receiving treatment. They won't tell anyone of course. Also, why should anyone in his right senses steal pension funds. He's not even in jail atm.[/font]

For relaxation, you can plan summer trips or seasonal trips as you wish and I assure you, if you can prove that you are a genuine traveller, getting a visa wouldn't be an issue for you. Let them know you aren't deserting your country and you will definitely get visa without stress.
]Osheyy planner, if you're an average Nigerian like me or you earn 200k below and sponsoring yourself, don't even smell the embassy except you work for a well known company. The way you will be refused ehhh.. I had genuine reasons to travel yet I know how hard it was to get my visas. If you work in a private company that secures visas for her workers, good for you. Getting a visa on your Nigerian passport is not beans. Don't make it sound like it's easy. Again, how many Nigerians can afford a family vacation abroad?. Last I checked, a return flight ticket to Dubai was roughly 250k. A family of 4 will spend roughly 1 million on flight alone. If you're not very wealthy, you will think twice before you spend that money. [/font]

To be sure your children will never experience strikes by lecturers, you can make use of the numerous private universities we have down here, 100% strike free
Again, an average Nigerian can't afford those so called good private universities. It's rare to find any below a million per academic year especially for professional courses. [/font]

As for hospitals, try researching for good ones and get familiar with your doctors also take advantage of HMOs to get good deals for your medical insurance. It will save you a lot of money.
Good hospitals equal more money.

Who will take care of senior citizens? Definitely children, relatives or even good Samaritans. It's hard to come across an elderly person without at least a helper but if such occurs, old people's homes are still available here. If you have the money, you can get a life long domestic staff to support and care for you in the comfort of your home
Hehehe, good samaritans in this country? Issok,with this hardship someone will be taking care of your oldies for free..How many old people's homes are in Nigeria plix.. the "first modern" geriatric centre was built in UCH, Ibadan. How many professionals are skilled in geriatric medicine?. Are these homes free? What happens if you don't have money to get a long domestic staff who will actually steal from you if you have the money grin[/font]
When next you arrive and someone askes you "Wetin you bring come?* smile and tell him nothing, if you need someone to welcome you with a smile, you can invite friends and family to pick you up at the Airport
]Na so, tell them nothing and you don't get anything done. A fews days back,
a friend had to give money to a HR staff in a hospital to submit my application for job. I was furious then someone told me about her ordeal getting an internship placement after medical school. HR staff call you to say you passed entry exams but that if you don't pay 200k, your place will be given to someone else. Your salary isn't even up to 200k monthly and someone is asking for that to give you a job as an intern. Just when your parents thought they were done spending money on you. [/font]

The land is truly green and beautiful.
]Yea, it's truly green and beautiful on your side sha but not for the 80% of Nigerians on the other side. You need to leave your side to see how people are suffering especially since the beginning of this administration. Bribery, Corruption,
tribalism, over religiousity, ignorance, wickedness, greed, and selfishness have become the order of the day. I pray we will be uplifted someday but for now, allow us to indulge in these plans of finding an alternative route out of this low quality of life and giving our children a better future. smiley]

My responses are in bold.
I am tired of keeping quiet about these comparisons going on between a developed and developing country, a sane and an insane society. Please whatever rocks your boat. Don't move from one thread to another on Nairaland giving people shallow reasons why they shouldn't relocate.
Peace..

43 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by flyhigh1881: 2:19pm On Dec 12, 2017
CanadianEnginee:

I can give you instances but I would like to understand why you or vcole feel that ladies are regarded less in nigeria even with all the preferential treatment they get in Nigeria. Yes, in Nigeria.

Please sir/ma, Nigeria is a country where women don’t have a voice. It is so hard being a woman in Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by keni: 2:56pm On Dec 12, 2017
Pidgin2:

Nice post, but you're wrong by saying Nigeria is unknown. Infact, you have the freedom to control your life in Nigeria without committing anything to the govt

As a high earner in Nigeria, you have the option of sending your kids to the best schools here or abroad, the choice is yours

You can produce your own electricity if you don't want to depend on the govt for it, you can remove yourself entirely from paying PHCN bills with no questions asked, hence you can put on your light knowing there will be light all the time. Try alternative power or move to areas with good light supply e.g Osun, Jos, Abuja etc tongue

Also, you can chose to stay in service flats with 24/7 light supply and 24/7 security, you don't have to travel to Canada to achieve this, trust me if you can afford a service flat you can have this too. Or better still, take advantage of security gadgets like alarms and such, you can also get a gun licence or employ private security guards

In Nigeria, just get a sim, register and use your line to access any state or country in the world, no need for long stories, pay as you go, o'er second billing, cheap data

Your flat should have water running but if it doesn't, I personally will prefare supplying my own treated water via boreholes so that I can maintain the standard to my taste, if this is not your forte, make sure you rent a flat or house with running water or find out how you can get your house connected to the govt's own.

In Lagos, I assure you that emergency numbers are all working, I'm not too sure about other States but in Lagos, it works.

To avoid Maina eating your pension funds, you can subscribe to any reputable RSA of your choice and if you are into private business, you can try life assurance policy, these are privately owned not govt's so no Mainas here

For relaxation, you can plan summer trips or seasonal trips as you wish and I assure you, if you can prove that you are a genuine traveller, getting a visa wouldn't be an issue for you. Let them know you aren't deserting your country and you will definitely get visa without stress

To be sure your children will never experience strikes by lecturers, you can make use of the numerous private universities we have down here, 100% strike free

As for hospitals, try researching for good ones and get familiar with your doctors also take advantage of HMOs to get good deals for your medical insurance. It will save you a lot of money

Who will take care of senior citizens? Definitely children, relatives or even good Samaritans. It's hard to come across an elderly person without at least a helper but if such occurs, old people's homes are still available here. If you have the money, you can get a life long domestic staff to support and care for you in the comfort of your home

When next you arrive and someone askes you "Wetin you bring come?* smile and tell him nothing, if you need someone to welcome you with a smile, you can invite friends and family to pick you up at the Airport

The land is truly green and beautiful.

Joor me I just have one small question, Please the nollywood actor in your narrative up there, is he still going to pay Tax after providing all those basic amenities for himself?

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by XX01(f): 3:41pm On Dec 12, 2017
CanadianEnginee:

Good. I'm happy you know that women get preferential treatment here in Nigeria.

If that makes you sleep better. Whatever rocks your boat.

9 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by A555: 5:41pm On Dec 12, 2017
einsteino:

Once you get your COPR, you can apply for pre arrival services.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/before-services.asp

6 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kike100: 6:23pm On Dec 12, 2017
As you all are doing Voltron on long distance marriage/relationship ontop canny matter, remember say:

WHAT A MAN CAN DO, A WOMAN CAN DO WAY BETTER!(RSV) wink wink wink wink wink grin grin grin

16 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by CanadianEnginee(m): 7:11pm On Dec 12, 2017
kike100:
As you all are doing Voltron on long distance marriage/relationship ontop canny matter, remember say:

WHAT A MAN CAN DO, A WOMAN CAN DO WAY BETTER!(RSV) wink wink wink wink wink grin grin grin

grin grin grin angryq

There are some battles North Korea wouldn't get into, against the USA.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by temitope06(m): 7:49pm On Dec 12, 2017
Surest Doc @Feygbe, my phone has gone nuts o, reason I've not been online since. How's prep?, X more days to go o, U n I know what X is. Dunno which is better, buying a phone here or over there. Reply me, lemme know wassup..
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 8:26pm On Dec 12, 2017
This is to remind us of ACCA members networking in Toronto tomorrow from 5pm to 7pm.

ACCA sent out the invite for this event. Hoping to see you people there tomorrow with your resumes.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DadR: 10:05pm On Dec 12, 2017
Chai, when will this long post/debate end? Everyone of us has our reasons for relocating to Canada and our individual reasons may not even correlate with one another. All man for himself and God for us all.

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Oyamade: 10:09pm On Dec 12, 2017
mclarry:

Way to go
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 10:17pm On Dec 12, 2017
https://www.nairaland.com/4229848/photo-wasilat-olaronke-marshal-died

K1 just lost his daughter in CANADA may her soul rest in peace cry
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AngelicBeing: 10:23pm On Dec 12, 2017
Pidgin2:

Hypocrite, so this is the best place to post it, are you not the same person going from thread to thread spewing trash and spitting bulshit against those who seek a better and quality life in the West, are you posting this to spite those on here or what, now carry the obituary elsewhere and let those who are tired of the useless jungle you adore daily to share meaningful information angry

32 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dtaminator: 10:32pm On Dec 12, 2017
Bsbabe:

Thank you sis. I truly wonder why everyone thinks Canada is only for the Nigerian ne’er do wells

On the contrary, I think Canada attracts the best of Nigerians. The highest quality amongst us who understand the value of patience and are ready to undertake a process to migrate. I can't count how many people I have tried in futilty to convince to relocate the right way and not relocate to the US on a visiting Visa.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by CAstruggle(m): 10:54pm On Dec 12, 2017
A555:

Once you get your COPR, you can apply for pre arrival services.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/before-services.asp

You dont need to receive COPR before applying for Pre arrival services. All you need is your PPR mail

3 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by EzeIgboNwaChukwu(m): 11:16pm On Dec 12, 2017
careerwoman:

The benefits of using the internet... the world is one click away
can you give me an advice on career?
Need some counselling
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Algbenguze: 2:09am On Dec 13, 2017
Oga @Pidgin2, I initially thought u were pulling our legs here.
You speak like the average Nigerian earns N2m per month from all the illusion u painted in your posts. Let's even start with the most privileged Nigerian:
Even your president is not guaranteed good quality of life here otherwise he wouldn't be doing ordinary "routine check-ups" (not surgery o) in London with taxpayers' money. His children also school abroad, likewise that of the Senate President. Our first lady had to go search for a private hospital just to have an x-ray; thank God it wasn't an emergency.
The funniest part of that your post talked about treating borehole water "to your taste". U be chemist? Water that should be tasteless and odourless?
Talking of serviced apartments on the Island, no be bad and flooded roads person go drive pass? What we even call enjoyment here sef is very questionable.

Wait sef...What are you even doing on this thread and the EE thread if you're not planning to relocate yourself?

If na joke, pls stop am!

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Morbolar: 3:49am On Dec 13, 2017
keni:

Joor me I just have one small question, Please the nollywood actor in your narrative up there, is he still going to pay Tax after providing all those basic amenities for himself?

grin grin grin...your comment cracked me up so bad. Na real movie oooo. The guy na script writer. So far from the reality of the average Nigerian. I think we shuld waka pass on his comments which in my opinion are totally against the aim of dis thread Na dat one go pain am pass. tongue

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 5:24am On Dec 13, 2017
dtaminator:

On the contrary, I think Canada attracts the best of Nigerians. The highest quality amongst us who understand the value of patience and are ready to undertake a process to migrate. I can't count how many people I have tried in futilty to convince to relocate the right way and not relocate to the US on a visiting Visa.

this is true. I have tried on many occasions to persuade friends to migrate via legitimate means, but they always keep saying it is a long thing. There has been instances i have offered to help process everything for them, "all you have to do is sit for ielts" i would say, yet they still prefer the crooked ways.

9 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vascey(m): 5:49am On Dec 13, 2017
czaratwork:
This is to remind us of ACCA members networking in Toronto tomorrow from 5pm to 7pm.

ACCA sent out the invite for this event. Hoping to seel you people there tomorrow with your resumes.

My brother how has it been? Have you concluded your ACCA to CGA? what are the opportunities. I've come to realise that Canada has over 260k CPAs, a high number for such a small population. Yet it's also a finance hub. How has it been for you?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 6:04am On Dec 13, 2017
Pidgin2:

you didnt say anything about cause of death, or does living in Canada make one immortal? Eitherways, I am certain it couldnt have been as a result of taking fake drugs or an army officer shooting her for daring to refuse his advances.. she definitely didnt die in accident caused by a car running into her, in a bid to avoid potholes. if she was murdered, even as an immigrant she has a higher chance of getting justice in canada than Nigeria. as long as life expectancy is higher in Canada than in Nigeria, you have no case.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 7:12am On Dec 13, 2017
einsteino:

this is true. I have tried on many occasions to persuade friends to migrate via legitimate means, but they always keep saying it is a long thing. There has been instances i have offered to help process everything for them, "all you have to do is sit for ielts" i would say, yet they still prefer the crooked ways.

What's an ielts am new here .....
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by olajide21: 7:39am On Dec 13, 2017
Chukason1:

What's an ielts am new here .....

It's Internations English Language Testing System. It's the only exam you would write on this Journey. A very simple one for that matter!

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 7:42am On Dec 13, 2017
vascey:

My brother how has it been? Have you concluded your ACCA to CGA? what are the opportunities. I've come to realise that Canada has over 260k CPAs, a high number for such a small population. Yet it's also a finance hub. How has it been for you?

My sister you mean. I am still in the process. The mistake i made was to write BC that i am in Ontario for them to move my file to Ontario. I was supposed to be inducted in November but as i type now, i dont even know the status of my application. I only got a mail that my file has been transferred to them in October and dats all. I have sent their automated enquiry mail but no response. I have also tried to speak with the registrar's office only to drop voicemail for them. I may be there physically tomorrow if time permits me.

My dear this land is to each his own. You can't use another person's story to know what lies in wait for you. I have learnt that not just because everybody has different story to tell but because MY CASE IS DIFFERENT. You will understand in fullness of time. Meanwhile you can never be hungry here. There are always jobs to pay the bills and worse case scenario you become government pickin wey dem go dey pay allowance (not advisable though).

Then the accounting and finance jobs are more in Ontario (Toronto to be precise). But i hear rent high for dat side na im make i go live for nearby to dey commute.

Resume writing is a big deal here because of the keywords the scanning machines look out for in a resume. You need to get your resume right to be called for interviews.

The bigger deal is Canadian experience which they won't tell you. This doesn't matter for IT people. They believe IT is same everywhere. The same way you do network security in Nigeria is the same way it is done in Canada. Infact this is so true because some of my sister's colleagues got their job before moving while the rest got theirs immediately they got here.

As an accountant you need to know your excel very well. Vlookup and pivot table are very important to them. Then QuickBooks is very popular here too. If you have worked in an organisation that use ERPs like Oracle and SAP(?) Then you are hotcake. I have not seen where the job ad has finacle or flexcube experience requirement(Bankers).

The above is just a general observation. There are exceptions to the rules.

I have to stop here for now. Like i said no two people have the same story. Ontario is yours to discover (its written on their plate numbers).

18 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) (159) (160) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.