Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,316 members, 7,815,578 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:47 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (256) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1983709 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (253) (254) (255) (256) (257) (258) (259) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Solomon27(m): 7:58pm On Mar 25, 2018
How can I start this Canada Express Entry?

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 8:05pm On Mar 25, 2018
percee17:
Can anyone please recommend a nice church around Mississauga, Oakville and Brampton areas. Thanks a lot

heard of house of praise in Mississauga...it is Redeemed

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 8:14pm On Mar 25, 2018
easyzworld:

Really? I guess life and time are in your hands?

If I kill myself, isn't taking my life, deciding whether I live or not, in my hands ? If everything na God, why don't people stay in naija and wait for that miracle when God will make everything work in naija ?

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by easyzworld: 8:30pm On Mar 25, 2018
maternal:

If I kill myself, isn't taking my life, deciding whether I live or not, in my hands ? If everything na God, why don't people stay in naija and wait for that miracle when God will make everything work in naija ?

Do you know some persons won't leave naija even if given free visa and ticket to Canada? If I call on God when my spirit is low and it works for me, please, don't attack me for that for my life and faith are totally mine. Good day

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ray78: 9:12pm On Mar 25, 2018
Almost two months here in Canada and still without a job.I refused a sales/marketing commission based role though.This wait is getting tiring now.
Canadian recruiters are OBSESSED with 'canadian work experience' .It is a huge red flag if none of your previous work or education was done in Canada.They are also obsessed with you having performed the exact same role as they advertised,they dont even try to deduce your skill set from similar roles you've performed.Very risk averse people,no wonder they are not known for Foreign Direct Investment abroad.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 9:39pm On Mar 25, 2018
KweenCee:

Hi GS, please when did you submit your passport to Accra?

23rd February, 2018.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maziude: 9:43pm On Mar 25, 2018
ray78:
Almost two months here in Canada and still without a job.I refused a sales/marketing commission based role though.This wait is getting tiring now.
Canadian recruiters are OBSESSED with 'canadian work experience' .It is a huge red flag if none of your previous work or education was done in Canada.They are also obsessed with you having performed the exact same role as they advertised,they dont even try to deduce your skill set from similar roles you've performed.Very risk averse people,no wonder they are not known for Foreign Direct Investment abroad.

The question boss is, "What kind of job are you looking for at the moment?"

Your being without a job might be because you want that which is close to your former position in Nigeria or close to it. People cant really give an advise unless you enlighten the house on your situation.

That being said, perhaps you might start humble with anyone you see now. There are jobs, it really depends on which one you are looking for. Can you flip burgers? Are you willing to be a cashier at either a shoppers store or a Walmart store? etc These jobs are everywhere, perhaps you should look closely to these areas for now and start from there. Things will surely look up.

PS:
No job is demeaning or brings you down. If it is paying your bills and helps you move along the ladder to financial independence, then that is a job you should be proud of and willing to do.

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MrsBee: 10:12pm On Mar 25, 2018
MrsBee:
Good Day All,

We would be going to Ontario in March for short-landing.

We are also considering going across the border to Niagara falls/Bufallo NY during the weekend while we are there but my worry is how to return into Canada without a PR card.

Landed seniors , please help with your advise/suggestions.

Hello house, So my adventurous self went across the border for a road trip to the US yesterday. I went with my mum and a friend offered to drive us there. Did some shopping at Burlington in Amherst, NY. I was able to come back into Canada showing just my passport and COPR. No issues at all. ��

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by QSola: 10:17pm On Mar 25, 2018
I[b] am going to help in posting few job vacancies for now. Atleast those little jobs that pay your bills pending the time you land your dream job. Please application is at owners risk or discretion. I am not living in canada but my mind is living there now. I am yet to receive ITA so you might have to confirm the authenticity of the post. [/b]

#copied from Craigslist

Amazon is currently hiring FT Warehouse Associates (with Benefits) in Milton!

Hourly Pay Rate: $14.40/hour!

Amazon Walk-In Hiring Events - No Appointment Necessary

Amazon Fulfillment Center 6363 Millcreek Drive Mississauga, Ontario L5N 1L8

March 27 - March 30 9am-12pm & 1pm-4pm

Entrance: The event will be held near the main entrance. Please enter through the white door next to the main entrance.

Important event information
Please bring government-issued identification and a cell phone to process the background check.

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by QSola: 10:26pm On Mar 25, 2018

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by bbaby84(f): 10:35pm On Mar 25, 2018
Underwoodd:

Hello A555,

I am about to apply for US visa via dropbox but I am kinda worried that the Canada immigrant visa might affect the application.

Pls did you apply via dropbox or did you go for an interview?
Was your visa application approved?
On the DS-160 form, how did you answer the question of if you are a PR of another country?

My immigrant visa expires in June, I will be landing in May.

Thank you.
I've just done the same with no issues.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by bbaby84(f): 10:51pm On Mar 25, 2018
QSola:
I[b] am going to help in posting few job vacancies for now. Atleast those little jobs that pay your bills pending the time you land your dream job. Please application is at owners risk or discretion. I am not living in canada but my mind is living there now. I am yet to receive ITA so you might have to confirm the authenticity of the post. [/b]

#copied from Craigslist

Amazon is currently hiring FT Warehouse Associates (with Benefits) in Milton!

Hourly Pay Rate: $14.40/hour!

Amazon Walk-In Hiring Events - No Appointment Necessary

Amazon Fulfillment Center 6363 Millcreek Drive Mississauga, Ontario L5N 1L8

March 27 - March 30 9am-12pm & 1pm-4pm

Entrance: The event will be held near the main entrance. Please enter through the white door next to the main entrance.

Important event information
Please bring government-issued identification and a cell phone to process the background check.

Craiglist ke?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 10:56pm On Mar 25, 2018
ray78:

Keep on persisting Ray, what field are you IN? also what research did you do on job before moving to Canada..also have you considered other provinces ..

I can imagine like if you are a journalist it would be hard to break for example...also how have u packaged yourself in CV and co..

Have you tired recruitment agencies also.

I see a lot of other countries make I no mention name boost their experience to 10 even thou its only 3-4 or they do a three months course and say they have 5 years experience with reference to back it up....

But please keep trying , new provinces , new job position etc.

I remembered applying for a Manager Position at Deloitte ..asking for 10-15 years experience when i had just close to 5 ..it does not hurt too much the experience might also help.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Iyamefa: 12:32am On Mar 26, 2018
percee17:
Can anyone please recommend a nice church around Mississauga, Oakville and Brampton areas. Thanks a lot

There’s RCCG and Christ embassy off Kennedy @ brampton.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 12:53am On Mar 26, 2018
ray78:

So instead of doing a sales/marketing job, making some money and getting some Canadian experience on the resume, you decide to remain unemployed? Also your resume must be customized to fit the role they want or need. Hence why they want the exact role as advertised. Do you realize the networking opportunities you could have had if you took that job ? You are your worst enemy.

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ray78: 1:36am On Mar 26, 2018
Oga before you crucify me.The sales job was gonna make me sign a training bond preventing me from resigning for about 2 years or so.Considering that Marketing is really not my preferred line of work,and it was gonna be a commission based role.Imagine if took the offer and then later ongot my preferred role ,i would be bound by the contract and have to repay them.No

I have customized my cv to the best of my knowledge,i have a cv for different roles-customer service,data entry,operations,risk analysis.I have done two online assesments for one bank and a telecommunciations firm,i am waiting for the outcome but still aggresively applying as it is a game of numbers. I have also attended a networking session.
My prefered role is a banking operations/data entry role.Last last i will start looking for cashier or store clerk jobs for sustenance
maternal:

So instead of doing a sales/marketing job, making some money and getting some Canadian experience on the resume, you decide to remain unemployed? Also your resume must be customized to fit the role they want or need. Hence why they want the exact role as advertised. Do you realize the networking opportunities you could have had if you took that job ? You are your worst enemy.

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ray78: 1:52am On Mar 26, 2018
Thanks.My work exp isnt too straigh forward.I'm an economist with Msc Finance.I have mainly experience in govt -macro research and operations.I'm trying to work in financial services especially operations/settlement/data entry/risk etc
As for recruitement agences,i was using Acces Canada-they tried but they are quite sluggish.I am now using TalentCor which is able to get contract roles in TD Bank.So fingers crossed on that.i am even ready to work below minium wage or free for a month in financials services just so i will be more marketable
How long were u in Canada before getting a job/I've not yet considered other provinces,let me stretch my luck in Toronto,plus i'm not ready to deal with the colder regions
Fusion23:

Keep on persisting Ray, what field are you IN? also what research did you do on job before moving to Canada..also have you considered other provinces ..

I can imagine like if you are a journalist it would be hard to break for example...also how have u packaged yourself in CV and co..

Have you tired recruitment agencies also.

I see a lot of other countries make I no mention name boost their experience to 10 even thou its only 3-4 or they do a three months course and say they have 5 years experience with reference to back it up....

But please keep trying , new provinces , new job position etc.

I remembered applying for a Manager Position at Deloitte ..asking for 10-15 years experience when i had just close to 5 ..it does not hurt too much the experience might also help.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 2:30am On Mar 26, 2018
ray78:
Thanks.My work exp isnt too straigh forward.I'm an economist with Msc Finance.I have mainly experience in govt -macro research and operations.I'm trying to work in financial services especially operations/settlement/data entry/risk etc
As for recruitement agences,i was using Acces Canada-they tried but they are quite sluggish.I am now using TalentCor which is able to get contract roles in TD Bank.So fingers crossed on that.i am even ready to work below minium wage or free for a month in financials services just so i will be more marketable
How long were u in Canada before getting a job/I've not yet considered other provinces,let me stretch my luck in Toronto,plus i'm not ready to deal with the colder regions
i think you are doing aii. Please don't work below minimum wage for any job cos if at all any pays less than minimum wage, there must be something wrong with that job....safety first please. However you can explore volunteer opportunities at roles or in organizations you are interested in working at.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by CofOLandOfPeace(m): 2:56am On Mar 26, 2018
MrsBee:

Hello house, So my adventurous self went across the border for a road trip to the US yesterday. I went with my mum and a friend offered to drive us there. Did some shopping at Burlington in Amherst, NY. I was able to come back into Canada showing just my passport and COPR. No issues at all. ��
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 3:51am On Mar 26, 2018
ray78:
Ok all the best am sure you will be fine , so have been here just over a year and was lucky cos it was IT . Landed in Saskatchewan, got a job in like 2 weeks ..moved to Ottawa..got a better job moved to Edmonton...

but yes did lots of interviews with big companies PWC , Deloitte etc and wasn't given the job but kept trying.... when I wanted to change job $$ I just kept on applying and the job i had was also good so I had nothing to loose ....did about 10 interviews that I become so good in interviews grin ..it was just a matter of time.

I used just LinkedIn and Monster.ca

for me my major issue is stability now over more money cos i dont apply for jobs ..recruiters reach out via linkedin and email..

i guess there is a shortage in my area a bit...also positioning your self linkedin and monster might help.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ray78: 4:25am On Mar 26, 2018
Lucky you.ICT people have it best!
I will double up on my LinkedIn strategy.I just signed up for LinkedIn Premium as well.This March will be my last month unemployed IJN
Fusion23:

Ok all the best am sure you will be fine , so have been here just over a year and was lucky cos it was IT . Landed in Saskatchewan, got a job in like 2 weeks ..moved to Ottawa..got a better job moved to Edmonton...

but yes did lots of interviews with big companies PWC , Deloitte etc and wasn't given the job but kept trying.... when I wanted to change job $$ I just kept on applying and the job i had was also good so I had nothing to loose ....did about 10 interviews that I become so good in interviews grin ..it was just a matter of time.

I used just LinkedIn and Monster.ca

for me my major issue is stability now over more money cos i dont apply for jobs ..recruiters reach out via linkedin and email..

i guess there is a shortage in my area a bit...also positioning your self linkedin and monster might help.

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 4:39am On Mar 26, 2018
ray78:
Lucky you.ICT people have it best!
I will double up on my LinkedIn strategy.I just signed up for LinkedIn Premium as well.This March will be my last month unemployed IJN
That's the spirit cool....all the best

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vieve111: 7:20am On Mar 26, 2018
If anyone needs rent in Calgary.
I am looking for a Clean, Quiet Professional Roomate to share my lovely Furnitured 2 bedroom apartment with me located in SW calgary in the heart of downtown.
2 minutes walk to Ctrain Station.
$700 monthly.
Term of Rent: 6 months to 1 year.
Fully Furnished Apartment
All Utilities are included plus wifi.
Other Amenities in the building are a well equipped gym+ indoor pool+games room.
please contact me on yvv1234567@gmail.com or 4039073040
Proof of employment and/or finance, proof of status in Canada and two references. At least one reference must come from your financial sponsor (if you are being sponsored) or both reference from Calgary. Your Calgary references must be willing to meet in person.

OTHER CONVENIENCES
A friendly, on-site, professional management, security, and maintenance.
Secured fob access, touch-screen intercom, elevators.
In-suite or on-site storage.
Reserved, covered monthly parking.
Include utilities, (electricity, heat, water, and high speed Internet) and appliances, (fridge, stove, dishwasher, range hood, microwave).

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Riversides2003(m): 7:43am On Mar 26, 2018
GlitteringStar:
I'm now a bona fide member of this thread. smiley I received my Visa and COPR today. To God be the Glory.

Where u based in Canada?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by percee17: 8:06am On Mar 26, 2018
Fusion23:

heard of house of praise in Mississauga...it is Redeemed
Thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by percee17: 8:07am On Mar 26, 2018
Iyamefa:

There’s RCCG and Christ embassy off Kennedy @ brampton.

Thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Riversides2003(m): 8:09am On Mar 26, 2018
omambala:

thanks for responding , the first question is actually personal but I'll just ask this other question here.

ok, am hoping to land in Calgary in Sept. would love suggestions on good neighbourhoods. when I checked for apartments on Kijiji, I kept seeing NE , SE etc. I need more clarifications please. I've got kids as well. thanks.

Those are just different parts of the city. Deciding on where to live depends on where you work mostly and also depends on how much you are willing to pay because rents varies according to area.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jimikata(m): 8:23am On Mar 26, 2018
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by remiaig: 11:57am On Mar 26, 2018
ray78:

I’ve you tried Randstad they always have lots of opportunities in financial services, and it’s a good way to get ones foot in the door. Also, you can go directly to the career page of banks’ like RBC, BMO, and Scotia, they always have lots of opportunities which you may not find on jobsites. That’s what I did and got a contact job with RBC. Also try to keep an open mind about relocating if any opportunity comes outside Toronto, I had to relocate from Ottawa to Brampton for work, before then I was practically applying for jobs in every province. Even traveled to Niagara from Ottawa for an interview. Until you find what you want keep pushing, persevere and don’t loose hope. Have a lovely day and week.

15 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DadR: 2:03pm On Mar 26, 2018
Fusion23:

i guess there is a shortage in my area a bit...
also positioning your self linkedin and monster might help.

Hey boss, please what field in ICT are you?

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by critic007(m): 2:25pm On Mar 26, 2018
Good info. Please can anyone advise on the best city for an architect?
Also, what are the chances of a single parent migrating for a year or two before wife and a daughter (3yrs) join?

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (253) (254) (255) (256) (257) (258) (259) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.