Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,438 members, 7,819,609 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:01 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (298) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1988513 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (295) (296) (297) (298) (299) (300) (301) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by cutezain(f): 6:14pm On May 29, 2018
A555:

You can take in whatever amount of cash you have available. Just ensure that if it is in excess of 10,000 CAD, you declare it at the point of entry. This would usually just be recording the amount of cash you're coming in with, and be sure you have information on hand to prove where you've got the money from. So if it is from your account, have bank statements to show you had the cash in your account for a while and withdrew it at some point.

No need to look for CAD in Nigeria. USD is just as good when coming into Canada. Banks and BDCs in Canada will change it for you. The general feedback from the thread so far is that you get better rates from the Bank than changing at the airport, so if you need some CAD for transportation on arrival, change just a little bit of your USD at the airport.

Lovely, thank you a million

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 7:10pm On May 29, 2018
browndoll:
Hello landed seniors�
We hope to land in September by God's grace.
We have done a bit of research on Ottawa and it seems to be a lovely place and very bilingual.
Please any one who can point out previously written notes on experiences in Ottawa should help me with the link or moniker, please.
What's the likelihood of getting jobs there seeing that hubby and i dont speak french(yet)? I'm an accountant and he is a project manager. we learnt that a person who speaks both french and english is preferred to one who speaks just english.Is it that bad that we may not stand a chance?
Any advise,suggestions and pointers will be appreciated.
Thank you
The bold is usually true for government jobs and service oriented jobs. I stay in Ottawa and I like it(I haven't lived anywhere else thou). It has that small town feel and its easy to move around.

As for jobs, that's relative but i'll advise that you start looking for jobs right from Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by HTC2017: 7:29pm On May 29, 2018
Thank you for the detailed feedback.

So I called the SIU this morning and spoke at length with the officer who had earlier commented on my GDL exemption application.

Long story short... application now approved. He said I can go for a road test any time from tomorrow.

Now, any advice/insights on acing the road rest at once? Thanks!!!

salford1:

Not sure if the rule has changed.

If the date your license was issued was over one year but below three years, then the one year wait on class 7 would be waived, but you would still be on the GDL program i.e. class 5 basic for two years. if the license was issued over three years ago, then you should get the GDL waiver and be allowed to take your advanced road test aftet passing the knowledge test.

If your date of issue was less than one year at the time of submission to an Alberta registy, then you would have to complete the full three years GDL program i.e one year on class 7 and two years on Class 5 basic.

If you feel you satisfied the requirement, then you might want to go back to the registry to initiate a review of your submission.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 7:37pm On May 29, 2018
HTC2017:
Thank you for the detailed feedback.

So I called the SIU this morning and spoke at length with the officer who had earlier commented on my GDL exemption application.

Long story short... application now approved. He said I can go for a road test any time from tomorrow.

congrats. Were you approved for the basic or Advanced. Basic is like 20min road test and advanced is about 45min. I would advice you take the advance if you are in a technical field or one that requires use of vehicle. It's a bit costly than the basic. Basic is simpler to pass. In both cases, you might want to take driving classes. Go on kijiji or go to a registry and pick business cards. Ask whichever instructor you go for if the training would be done on a similar route used by examiners.

4 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 7:39pm On May 29, 2018
Itissettled3:
Good morning. Please is there any Estate Surveyor and Valuer from Nigeria who moved to Canada and is practicing the profession (Valuation/Appraisal)? I desperately need pointers as to steps to follow.

I contacted a lot of people via LinkedIn so as to know how to go about it but didn't get responses. It's hard getting information on this as the profession is not a popular one.

Kindly help.me out. Thank you.
There are a good number of Nigerian realtors in Canada. You should be able to get a hold of one of them on linkedin. Hopefully, you would get help here on NL too.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by HTC2017: 7:56pm On May 29, 2018
Oh, thanks!

As for the basic or advanced, I'll call to confirm.
I have a friend who has allowed me to be driving his car "with him beside me according to the law here" just to familiarize with the roads and get comfortable prior to the road test. Maybe this would help too, in addition to the driving classes, as you advised.

salford1:

congrats. Were you approved for the basic or Advanced. Basic is like 20min road test and advanced is about 45min. I would advice you take the advance if you are in a technical field or one that requires use of vehicle. It's a bit costly than the basic. Basic is simpler to pass. In both cases, you might want to take driving classes. Go on kijiji or go to a registry and pick business cards. Ask whichever instructor you go for if the training would be done on a similar route used by examiners.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nogen: 8:33pm On May 29, 2018
Newmum0615:
I was wondering when you will take up the challenge.

I have taken it up already. Let me finish this programme first by His Grace.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by cuteguy201: 8:47pm On May 29, 2018

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 10:10pm On May 29, 2018
HTC2017:
Oh, thanks!

As for the basic or advanced, I'll call to confirm.
I have a friend who has allowed me to be driving his car "with him beside me according to the law here" just to familiarize with the roads and get comfortable prior to the road test. Maybe this would help too, in addition to the driving classes, as you advised.

Keep in mind that the class should take you through examiners favourite routes.
Yeah. Your friend with your side certainly helps too.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by browndoll: 10:32pm On May 29, 2018
Ok.thanks for your response.
AZeD1:

The bold is usually true for government jobs and service oriented jobs. I stay in Ottawa and I like it(I haven't lived anywhere else thou). It has that small town feel and its easy to move around.

As for jobs, that's relative but i'll advise that you start looking for jobs right from Nigeria.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Lhimeet(m): 11:37pm On May 29, 2018
Please House

Is drawing also a skill required in Canny?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by HTC2017: 11:41pm On May 29, 2018
Very key. Noted: Keep in mind that the class should take you through examiners favourite routes.

Do you by any chance have any idea how much the class would cost? Please and thank you.

salford1:

Keep in mind that the class should take you through examiners favourite routes.
Yeah. Your friend with your side certainly helps too.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by bankylan: 11:50pm On May 29, 2018
Is there anyone living in Vancouver BC or intends to live there on this platform? I have read comments about Ontario and Alberta but there seems to be nothing on BC despite the great weather and the natural beauty of the province. Is BC not as expensive as Ontario if cost is a factor? Also, I am yet to read anything about business migrants who intend to start business in Canada....

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by freeradical(m): 12:23am On May 30, 2018
HTC2017:
Hello People of God!

Driver's License issue here o. Please assist.

I've passed the knowledge test and dropped my Nigerian license. They issued a Class 7 license and told me to check back for a
possible upgrade to Class 5. To my surprise, I got a feedback that "At this time, your GDL exemption cannot be considered. The driving license that was submitted from Nigeria does not comply with the required standards to sufficiently support your driving history."

I want your advice before I ask them to explain what they are talking about...cos I don't understand. I'm in Alberta.

Cc: @mummyjaygirls, @freeradical, @Blackbuddy, @Fusion23, @Ballerz, @GlitteringStar

Thank you so much!!!
Well you probably applied for the GDL exemption with a fake license. I had the same issue even though I did not know it was fake before I submitted. There are security features on the license which you cannot spot with your naked eye but they do with their equipment.

Like @fusion said you can appeal the decision by calling the number on that your exemption letter which is the special investigation unit like I did. Take whatever documents u have to prove your case and go for the interview. Your best line of defense will be that you got a license from an agent inside FRSC. The interview can be intense because those guys are peace officers but if you have a letter of drivers record from FRSC they will accept that. Get your story straight and appeal.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by HTC2017: 12:29am On May 30, 2018
Thank you for your concern.

I gave the below update earlier - perhaps you missed it.

freeradical:
Well you probably applied for the GDL exemption with a fake license. I had the same issue even though I did not know it was fake before I submitted. There are security features on the license which you cannot spot with your naked eye but they do with their equipment.

Like @fusion said you can appeal the decision by calling the number on that your exemption letter which is the special investigation unit like I did. Take whatever documents u have to prove your case and go for the interview. Your best line of defense will be that you got a license from an agent inside FRSC. The interview can be intense because those guys are peace officers but if you have a letter of drivers record from FRSC they will accept that. Get your story straight and appeal.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by remiaig: 12:34am On May 30, 2018
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by remiaig: 12:57am On May 30, 2018
browndoll:
Hello landed seniors�
We hope to land in September by God's grace.
We have done a bit of research on Ottawa and it seems to be a lovely place and very bilingual.
Please any one who can point out previously written notes on experiences in Ottawa should help me with the link or moniker, please.
What's the likelihood of getting jobs there seeing that hubby and i dont speak french(yet)? I'm an accountant and he is a project manager.we learnt that a person who speaks both french and english is preferred to one who speaks just english.Is it that bad that we may not stand a chance?
Any advise,suggestions and pointers will be appreciated.
Thank you
If you don’t get a job before landing, you and your husband may want to consider attending the In-Tac bridging program for Internationally trained accountants and IT professionals (see links below). I attended the accounting bridging program, there are a lot of useful information and training to help accountants understand what is required in the Canadian system.

https://in-tac.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/NaviCanAcc.png

https://in-tac.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/NaviCanIT.png

https://in-tac.ca/iep/

9 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 1:04am On May 30, 2018
HTC2017:
Very key. Noted: Keep in mind that the class should take you through examiners favourite routes.

Do you by any chance have any idea how much the class would cost? Please and thank you.

Usually about $45 to $50 per class. But tgey usually have discounts if you take a set minimum number of classes.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by freeradical(m): 1:16am On May 30, 2018
HTC2017:
Thank you for your concern.

I gave the below update earlier - perhaps you missed it.

No p. I just replied from my mentions. Good to see that your predicament is solved. Safe driving out there man

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TBDL: 3:33am On May 30, 2018
[quote author=HTC2017 post=68003722]Thank you for your concern.

Hello HTC2017,
Can you shed more light on how you got your D.License application approved with the GDL exemption.
I am currently trying to fix this for mine as well.

I sent you a pm.

Cheers.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 3:58am On May 30, 2018
salford1:

Usually about $45 to $50 per class. But tgey usually have discounts if you take a set minimum number of classes.
you are right. The rules haven't changed. <1year driving experience = class 7 for 1yr, then 3 yrs GDL until a full G class license, 1yr but less than 2yrs = class 7, waiver from gdl to take basic road test and then when driving experience has clocked 2yrs, clearance to take class 5 advanced road test. 2yrs experience and above, clearance to take advanced road test. As at last year, most driving instructors charged $110 for 2hrs. This does not include places like AMA driving school though, they are more expensive. @htc2017, click on my moniker and try to read my posts from August, 2017, I believe I dropped some tips there. In summary, read the book, practice driving, watch youtube videos, if you're in Calgary get your road test done at a NE registry, get an instructor for about an hour to take you through the test routes prior to the test.

15 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Akingsqueen: 6:32am On May 30, 2018
Hello everyone.
Abeg my good people of Edmonton, help a sister out. We will be landing in September and would prefer to have a house upon landing.
Now my concern is that we all know that in every city, there's the good place to live and the bad (not so safe) areas.
Can someone guide me on the good areas or communities to search and reason. I have heard that the South East and South West area are good and safe enough.
We want a decent, accessible and safe area good to raise our kids.

Also, if you have any contact of a real estate agent, kindly hook me up.

Thanks all in advance.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Akingsqueen: 6:35am On May 30, 2018
I have another question as regards cargo to Canada. How is it done? About how much does it cost? Are they efficient? Are there any restrictions as to what can be sent through them? Can someone who used them give me contact of the ones he/she used.
Thanks in advance.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by LadyW: 8:36am On May 30, 2018
I am also keen on any tips or comments regarding Vancouver. I would be arriving sometime in August.

bankylan:
Is there anyone living in Vancouver BC or intends to live there on this platform? I have read comments about Ontario and Alberta but there seems to be nothing on BC despite the great weather and the natural beauty of the province. Canada....
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by enocoded4life(f): 10:04am On May 30, 2018
Good day everyone, I want to renew my Nigerian driver's license that has expired but I was told I would be given the temporary license for now. The permanent one would be ready in three months time, meanwhile we would be landing in July.

1.Can I make use of the temporary license and the FRSC driving experience letter to get my Canadian licence?
2. If I have to use the permanent one in three months time, is it safe to have it mailed to me?
3. Should I just forget about renewing the licence and apply for the Canadian licence when we land?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 12:18pm On May 30, 2018
enocoded4life:
Good day everyone, I want to renew my Nigerian driver's license that has expired but I was told I would be given the temporary license for now. The permanent one would be ready in three months time, meanwhile we would be landing in July.

1.Can I make use of the temporary license and the FRSC driving experience letter to get my Canadian licence?
2. If I have to use the permanent one in three months time, is it safe to have it mailed to me?
3. Should I just forget about renewing the licence and apply for the Canadian licence when we land?
No to number one.

Renew and get someone to get it for you and mail it.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Mickychen(m): 12:29pm On May 30, 2018
Hello everyone. I'll be moving to Canada by August 11th and I want to ask if it's advisable to change all my money in Nigeria to CAD before leaving or I should hold unto my naira. Thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by QSola: 12:35pm On May 30, 2018
Mickychen:
Hello everyone. I'll be moving to Canada by August 11th and I want to ask if it's advisable to change all my money in Nigeria to CAD before leaving or I should hold unto my naira. Thank you.

Change to USD

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by papaking1(m): 1:05pm On May 30, 2018
Hello house,
After 10 months in Winnipeg, I think it's high time I begin to plan for the future and leave this rat race. I have made up my mind to go into IT though I don't have IT background but I very good with computer and own a few blogs and ecommerce site I created myself.

I enrolled for python programming online but has been unable to give it enough attention. I need advise on where to start from.

A friend said I should take Itil certication and blend it with my management background. Another advised me to do A+.

I want to do something that I can easily get a nice job and also be able to start my own firm later in the future. I don't want to be an employee for long.

I really want to learn python language but I feel I need to have a more solid IT background before venturing into programming. Anybody in IT field here? Your advice is desperately needed please.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Kyaggy(f): 1:23pm On May 30, 2018
Hello Everyone,

I need help!!

Is there anyone of our landed seniors who is a graduate of Environmental Resource Management or its related courses with an experience of the labour market for this course, please let's connect. I need information about what works or the related courses been studied in Canada. I have been checking online and have noticed they kind of breakdown stuffs as a course unlike what we got here in Nigeria where we were made to do a little of everything without really been grounded in one. Please if anybody knows a link to any group with ERM discussion, please help me out.

Thanks in advance!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Mickychen(m): 1:30pm On May 30, 2018
Thanks
QSola:

Change to USD
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 3:32pm On May 30, 2018
Since you are more inclined towards programming, look for a coding bootcamp and enrol.
papaking1:
Hello house,
After 10 months in Winnipeg, I think it's high time I begin to plan for the future and leave this rat race. I have made up my mind to go into IT though I don't have IT background but I very good with computer and own a few blogs and ecommerce site I created myself.

I enrolled for python programming online but has been unable to give it enough attention. I need advise on where to start from.

A friend said I should take Itil certication and blend it with my management background. Another advised me to do A+.

I want to do something that I can easily get a nice job and also be able to start my own firm later in the future. I don't want to be an employee for long.

I really want to learn python language but I feel I need to have a more solid IT background before venturing into programming. Anybody in IT field here? Your advice is desperately needed please.

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (295) (296) (297) (298) (299) (300) (301) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.