Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,700 members, 7,809,656 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:36 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (295) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1980359 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (292) (293) (294) (295) (296) (297) (298) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 6:34pm On May 25, 2018
Eichie123:
so some one coming from nigeria with a TRV can not get a sponsor

Did you get your TRV on the basis of student status? You could apply for a post graduate work permit after your programme. There are a number of ways to apply for a work permit and you could find all the relevant info you need at this link, https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit.html

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Eichie123(m): 7:20pm On May 25, 2018
Blackbuddy:

Did you get your TRV on the basis of student status? You could apply for a post graduate work permit after your programme. There are a number of ways to apply for a work permit and you could find all the relevant info you need at this link, https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit.html
the reason i am asking is that the agent who my dad contact told my dad that it was a working permit visa but after i went for biometric i saw thst it was TRV that was on my receipt, so that is why i am asking if i can fine a way to get a work permit
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maziude: 9:23pm On May 25, 2018
Eichie123:
the reason i am asking is that the agent who my dad contact told my dad that it was a working permit visa but after i went for biometric i saw thst it was TRV that was on my receipt, so that is why i am asking if i can fine a way to get a work permit

Man,
you are confusing everyone here with your random statements.

I would suggest you lay it out as it is, so whoever will help you can give you suggestions.

But note, getting a job here on visitor visa is next to impossible. Please forget the issue of sponsorship with a visitor visa. Many companies here are not sponsoring even those that are here easily.

But if you have a tangible skill or talent the company needs then you might get lucky, but for now focus on other options- school or express entry.

Please, to avoid being banned from entering Canada, ensure all you are doing is legal.

Peace

12 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 9:36pm On May 25, 2018
Eichie123:

Seems like the agent mislead your dad knowingly.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Eichie123(m): 9:41pm On May 25, 2018
Reasonabledoubt:

Seems like the agent mislead your dad knowingly.
may be but my dad did not pay any money just the visa fee and biometric fee, so that is why i am following the forum to know more of it and how i can get a working permit
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Eichie123(m): 9:47pm On May 25, 2018
maziude:

Man,
you are confusing everyone here with your random statements.

I would suggest you lay it out as it is, so whoever will help you can give you suggestions.

But note, getting a job here on visitor visa is next to impossible. Please forget the issue of sponsorship with a visitor visa. Many companies here are not sponsoring even those that are here easily.

But if you have a tangible skill or talent the company needs then you might get lucky, but for now focus on other options- school or express entry.

Please, to avoid being banned from entering Canada, ensure all you are doing is legal.

Peace
yea true, nobody is perfect. There is nothing inlegal okay, just that i have gone for the biometric before finding out that it was a TRV because he did everything online. Everyone is looking for a way to better his future and take care of him family that is why we are looking for a way out

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 10:33pm On May 25, 2018
Eichie123:

Now that you know that what you have, that is, your visa is not valid to work with here or get a job, you can decide to get a permanent resident visa through Express Entry if you have relevant work experience or pursue admission to a school and get a student visa. You can join the Express Entry thread or the Canadian student threads on Nairaland, all the best ahead.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by XX01(f): 1:07am On May 26, 2018
JKJ6:
Hi Everyone, we received a request yesterday to submit our passport for COPR. We have 15 days from yesterday to forward the passports to ACCRA and our medicals will expire April 5th and we are require to be in Canada before that date. We submitted our application on the 18th of April, 2017.

Our worry now is that we are not sure our passports will be processed within this very short period and besides we are honestly not prepared to leave within this short notice. Truth be told, we had given up because it was taking forever for them to conclude the process and we committed ourselves to a whole lot of other things. My spouse is very engage with work at the moment and by virtue of his position at work, he will have to give at least 6 months notice prior resignation.

We intend to request for extension of our medicals validity or perhaps go for another medicals but we are not sure if it is possible and how to go about it. Our thought when we applied was that the visa will be approved within six months and that will give my spouse enough time to notify his employer.

Experts in the house, your guidance on how to handle the situation will be most appreciated.

How did you finally sort out your issue?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by XX01(f): 1:09am On May 26, 2018
TheCongo2:

Coming to think about...
My barber is Jamaican. He once told me he first came to Canada on a visitor visa and tnen was sponsor by the barbershop for permanent residence

This must be a long time ago.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Kyaggy(f): 1:25am On May 26, 2018
Please I need help, for an Environmental Resource Management graduate who doesn't have experience in the field of study after graduation, what are the bridge programs to do for a fresh start and which province can be recommended?

Cc everyone
@Maternal
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kachikapor(m): 3:47am On May 26, 2018
Hi Guys,

I have a rather peculiar question. I shared here about a month ago about how I was able to continue working in the "Canadian branch" of the company i was working with in Nigeria. The issue is that now, we don't have an immediate need for the POF now lying unused in our accounts. Does any of the landed seniors know of a good/safe investment where we keep the money. Interest rates on savings accounts here are not worth it, so if there's anyone out there who can point us in the right direction or give us any suggestions, i'd be much obliged.I already set up a meeting with my banker but who knows what these bankers(no disrespect intended) will tell someone. We just want to weigh all the options and make the best decision for our family. Hopefully, this question will help others who are in a similar boat N.B; i know say this na money matter (and therefore a touchy subject) biko, make nobody bite me. Person wey dey ask question no dey loss.

Have a lovely weekend y'all...over to you

14 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kachikapor(m): 4:12am On May 26, 2018
oh btw...took some pictures today. Enjoy

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 4:39am On May 26, 2018
kachikapor:
Hi Guys,

I have a rather peculiar question. I shared here about a month ago about how I was able to continue working in the "Canadian branch" of the company i was working with in Nigeria. The issue is that now, we don't have an immediate need for the POF now lying unused in our accounts. Does any of the landed seniors know of a good/safe investment where we keep the money. Interest rates on savings accounts here are not worth it, so if there's anyone out there who can point us in the right direction or give us any suggestions, i'd be much obliged.I already set up a meeting with my banker but who knows what these bankers(no disrespect intended) will tell someone. We just want to weigh all the options and make the best decision for our family. Hopefully, this question will help others who are in a similar boat N.B; i know say this na money matter (and therefore a touchy subject) biko, make nobody bite me. Person wey dey ask question no dey loss.

Have a lovely weekend y'all...over to you

Take your money and put it as a down payment on a new house. RBC bank has a program that assists new immigrant in purchasing their first home in Canada. Visit a RBC branch for more details. You have to be living in Canada for less than 2 years to qualify for that program.There will be no credit check.
There is no better investment than purchasing a home.
Do that and thanks me later.

30 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 4:54am On May 26, 2018
Hello shadetwins and other expectant-soon-to-land PRs.

I really don't know if I have the best answers. I haven't bought a lotta kids clothes since I got here cos I got lots of clothes as gifts. Also, you don't need to buy in bulk cos the season would change and your baby may wind up not wearing most of em. However, stores I would recommend, in no particular order are Walmart, Joe fresh (superstore), Gymboree, Winners, Marshalls, Baby Gap, The Children's Place.

There are also thrift stores like onceuponachild, online forums where people sell and resell like varagesale app or facebook communities.

Clothes are cheaper in Toronto (or so I hear) and are cheaper in the states.

15 Likes 22 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 4:55am On May 26, 2018
TheCongo2:

Take your money and put it as a down payment on a new house. RBC bank has a program that assists new immigrant in purchasing their new home in Canada. Visit a RBC branch for more details. You have to be living in Canada for less than 2 years to qualify for that program.There will be no credit check.
RBC seems to have some attractive newcomer packages. I should explore this before my 2 year mark.
Modified: quick read....requirement is to have 2yrs full time employment in Canada and then 20% down payment and u qualify for a conventional mortgage. Otherwise, if you have a minimum of 3mths full time employment n have immigrated as a pr within the last 5yrs, you pay 35% down and qualify. Exceptions may apply if the individual meets all other criteria but does not have the 35%.

I think cibc has a newcomer package too.

15 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by cutezain(f): 8:01am On May 26, 2018
Good morning everyone,

I am back with more questions.
I understand that the point of entry I must show my passport, COPR,proof of funds, list of house hold items I brought along and would be expecting.
Now my question, this proof of funds, is it still my bank statements?
I know I would definitely carry some cash, must it be Canadian dollars or American dollars wot do you think.
How do I show proof of funds basically

Then any one in Manitoba (Winnipeg or Brandon) please Dm me.

Thank you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by adesbaba: 10:18am On May 26, 2018
Hi all...I have 2 questions

1..Pls can anyone share their experience in buying a house cos av read lots of thoughts abt it on this thread,just want a personal experience plss

2..I already av 2 years work experience here in naija in banking operations,...after landing I intend working for like 4 years more in an organization.. After which I intend going to UK for my MBA(chose UK cos of their reputation more than most Canadian skuls and also the one year thingy)...after the MBA,I plan going back to my Canada to continue my career growth or probably switch to consulting ,which as always been my dream . ....pls aw do u see my plans gurus In the house... Also will my UK MBA not be an issue in Canada Coys
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 12:24pm On May 26, 2018
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Zutlin: 12:34pm On May 26, 2018
TheCongo2:

Take your money and put it as a down payment on a new house. RBC bank has a program that assists new immigrant in purchasing their first home in Canada. Visit a RBC branch for more details. You have to be living in Canada for less than 2 years to qualify for that program.There will be no credit check.

Good-day,

I sent you a message a few hours back. Please, Kindly respond.
I'll also be typing my concerns here and will greatly appreciate your input...especially as it seems you're an IT professional and based in London, Ontario.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 12:35pm On May 26, 2018
adesbaba:

1..Pls can anyone share their experience in buying a house cos av read lots of thoughts abt it on this thread,just want a personal experience plss

2..I already av 2 years work experience here in naija in banking operations,...after landing I intend working for like 4 years more in an organization.. After which I intend going to UK for my MBA( chose UK cos of their reputation more than most Canadian skuls and also the one year thingy )...after the MBA,I plan going back to my Canada to continue my career growth or probably switch to consulting ,which as always been my dream . ....pls aw do u see my plans gurus In the house... Also will my UK MBA not be an issue in Canada Coys

Speaking of the bolded part, this is a nigerian perception. I dont think the average Canadian thinks the same way. And most hiring managers are average Canadians who don't give a damn about the reputation of schools in the UK. That reminds me of a guy who went to Sorbonne University in Paris ( a French version of Harvard university). After his degree he went to look for job in the States and was surprised at the number of people who never heard of La Sorbonne that would send a chill down the spine of anyone in the Francophone world.

I wouldn't advise you to leave Canada to go study in the UK given that as a new immigrant you should invest much of your time building your life in Canada.
If you go to school in Canada you will certainly meet people and got involve into programs that will benefit and strengthen your ties to Canada. Whereas, if you go to school in the UK and then return to Canada, you will likely start again from square one upon your return to Canada. Kind of a waste of time to me.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 12:41pm On May 26, 2018
Zutlin:

Good-day,

I sent you a message a few hours back. Please, Kindly respond.
I'll also be typing my concerns here and will greatly appreciate your input...especially as it seems you're an IT professional and based in London, Ontario.

You can reach me here:
TheCongo2017@gmail.com

5 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Zutlin: 12:53pm On May 26, 2018
Firstly, I would like to thank everyone for their contributions. This thread is so enlightening....not even Google compares.

I hope to migrate to Canada soon. From my research so far, Ontario seems to be the best place for IT and I would love to have a career in IT. I do have a BSc and PGD in Computer science but not much experience neither do I have any certifications.
Please I need recommendations on which area of IT to get certifications on, where to get these certifications and how long it might take.

I'm also having difficulty deciding on where to live in Ontario. I know of Toronto, Missauga, London but not so much else. Personally, I love a green peaceful place with good job opportunities for IT.

I have been reading from page 0 and currently on page 104. I'll definitely read every page but I was hoping to get advice on IT certifications so I can start immediately.

I would really appreciate any advice I can get, especially as I know no one in Canada.

Thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by JKJ6: 2:10pm On May 26, 2018
XX01:

How did you finally sort out your issue?

Oh, I thought I have shared it here. We added a short note in our application and also sent email to LVO, cc Accra and Ottawa to express our worries and request that they extend the validity of our medicals. They called on the phone same day we sent the email and inform us that they will be unable to extend but will allow us to take another medical test. We did that and our medical was extended up to when our new born baby medical expires - October 2018.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Affordablerent: 2:38pm On May 26, 2018
What was the reason behind the recent bombing in Missauga Canada that injured over 15 people?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by omambala: 3:37pm On May 26, 2018
Hello everyone,

Please, does anyone know the benefits of IAPP information access and protection of privacy course?

am landing in Calgary in August, Please any senior that knows about this course should let me know if its worth going for.

Thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 3:39pm On May 26, 2018
adesbaba:

2..I already av 2 years work experience here in naija in banking operations,...after landing I intend working for like 4 years more in an organization.. After which I intend going to UK for my MBA(chose UK cos of their reputation more than most Canadian skuls and also the one year thingy)...after the MBA,I plan going back to my Canada to continue my career growth or probably switch to consulting ,which as always been my dream . ....pls aw do u see my plans gurus In the house... Also will my UK MBA not be an issue in Canada Coys

1. What exactly do you wanna know about buying a house? In addition to what vcole stated, if you have a strong credit rating and your co-signer (spouse in most cases) has similar ratings, both hold okay jobs, been in Canada for a while, you would need 5 to 10 percent deposit. If your deposit is lower than 20%, insurance would be added which could be another 5% of the total cost of your house.

IMO, If you are staying long term in the city or town you landed, better to buy a home, but if you are relocating to another city or town in less than 5 years or similar time frame, then better to hold on except you are buying a cheap condo.

2. Do not go to the UK for your MBA. As stated by the Congo, your MBA from the UK won't impress Canadian employers. A lot of Canadian employers are either risk averse or just don't care. You would be surprised that a grad of Vancouver Island University would be ranked higher by recruiters and HR managers than your MBA from Manchester or Said Business School. If you insist on going out of Canada for your MBA, stick to the United States.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 4:36pm On May 26, 2018
TheCongo2:

Hello maternal,
That is a good point you made. I was thinking about that as well.
But then again what about the nannies. Many ladies are getting permanent resident status by working as nannies. There are agencies bringing nannies from the Philippines. You can also sponsor a nanny from your home country.
Would you say there is a difference between a nanny and a barber?

Sponsoring a nanny from your home country can be hard. Canada has an aging population, as a result anything in the healthcare industry is in big demand. Psw, nurse, etc. Most Canadian will not be caregivers, taking care of people's needs or changing old people's diapers. Lastly the caregivers are skilled workers from the Philippines. They take a 1 year intense course which costs alot. Then go through a background check, etc before coming here. These aren't anybody coming to Canada. Caregivers getting PR is understandable. A barbar ? A monkey can do that job.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 4:40pm On May 26, 2018
adesbaba:

Congo and Salford have already said it. And such ignorance is why some immigrants fail. My cousin did the same thing and went to do a masters in the U.K. before coming to Canada. Biggest mistake he has ever made when it came to his life and professional life. Doing such a move will set you back years, I guarantee it. All because of a foolish/ subjective ranking probably paid for by the university? In 2018 people still care about such bullshit rankings ?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 4:51pm On May 26, 2018
adesbaba:

First things first are you close to getting your permanent residence or you still speculating, with 2 years experience and no masters you will be lucky to get ITA at this time.

Also MSC or MBA is good but here its experience over Academics...i have msc so mss or mba is also good ..if you work for 4 years am not sure you will be convinced to go back to school , when u start earning money , paying bills and all that..except you going to havard...its better you study in Canada...then again it depends on the kind of job you want and your dreams (to have MBA in a top school)
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by adesbaba: 5:49pm On May 26, 2018
@fusion,Salford,congo,maternal and all

Thanks so much for your contribution.....I was actually considering the ranking thing like someone said.... Also in d next 4 yrs ,I will be less than 28 yrs old,,,so I planned getting the MBA bfr I hit 30...for managerial insights and for future entrepreneurshp plans too n also job promotion ,by Gods grace.....

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by balogunsam(m): 6:26pm On May 26, 2018
Eichie123:
somebody is helping me out and i found out that it is TRV he is doing after i went for biometric, so i want to know if i have the TRV what are my chance of getting a work permit

Legally you cannot work with a TRV...

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by phemmisky(m): 6:37pm On May 26, 2018
maziude:

Boss,

It has been awhile I checked my PMs.

If you don't mind, can you list the issues you need clarifications on here?

Thank you.

No problem sir, i was going to ask about life in Ottawa, and the school 'Uottawa' itself, i am looking for tuition fee waiver option as well, i dont mind if you can advise me with your experience sir.
Thank you

(1) (2) (3) ... (292) (293) (294) (295) (296) (297) (298) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.