Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,796 members, 7,817,294 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:46 AM

Argentina, Nigeria, Korea Republic, Greece: Do We Stand A Chance? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Argentina, Nigeria, Korea Republic, Greece: Do We Stand A Chance? (4237 Views)

Golden Eaglets To Face Korea Republic In The Knock Out Stage / Nigeria-Korea Republic (Fifa U17 Womens WC Quarter Final) Ended 5 - 6 / Korea Republic Vs Nigeria U-17: [1 - 3] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Argentina, Nigeria, Korea Republic, Greece: Do We Stand A Chance? by okuya: 9:14pm On Dec 04, 2009
With the world cup draw just concluded in South Africa, Nigeria is drawn in alongside Argentina, Korea rep. & Greece.
What do u honestly think of this group, for me rating  our opponents in this group, there are positive indicators on our chances of going through, and also negative indicators:

starting with the negatives-

ARGENTINA: These are two time world champions, feard for their attacking football which has as one it's Generals the dreaded Lionel Messi arguably the best striker in the world of football today.

KOREA rep.: Convincinly the best team from the Asian region, and the only Asian country to have made it to the semi finals, a level that no African nor Asian achieved in the world cup, the've always been a hard nut to crack in all their world cup appearance

GREECE: former European champions , beat teams like France which was then the best team in Europe, czech rep. which was tipped to win the tournament considering their form, and Portugal then Host of the tournament and hungrier than any other team to win in front of their home crowd their first major trophy

The positive indicators that favours us in this group are:

ARGENTINA: They too struggled just like Nigeria to qualify for the world cup, they only escaped through the qualification door by the skin of their teeth or is teeth of their skin, raising questions about the form of their present squad. Also many Argentines believe their coach Diego Maradona lacks the technical depth and character to take them to the world cup, and he is most likely to lead them

KOREA rep: Their wonderful outing in 2002 was credited to the 12th player they always had with them in each game THEIR HOME FANS, Which till date is still considered the best and most powerful home support ever given any team in soccer, and dont forget the referees blunderous role in their knock match against Italy which saw them through

GREECE: Going by the records we've met them once and beaten them, so we can do it again, and since winning the European championship they've not made any significant impact, making many to see their form then as a flash in the pan.

And lastly the Nigerian spirit excels when all odds when you least expect it to, as is the expectation of our eagles at the moment
Re: Argentina, Nigeria, Korea Republic, Greece: Do We Stand A Chance? by hollandis(f): 9:22pm On Dec 04, 2009
How come the only group soccer analyst are wary of predicting eventual winners and runner up is our own group.Nigeria is so mysterious
lol
Re: Argentina, Nigeria, Korea Republic, Greece: Do We Stand A Chance? by surveyProf(m): 10:04pm On Dec 04, 2009
Why not if we do our home work very well, we will do well min the world cup
Re: Argentina, Nigeria, Korea Republic, Greece: Do We Stand A Chance? by Nobody: 10:53pm On Dec 04, 2009
Greece and Korea are not that tough of an opponent so i guess Nigeria will at least pass the first stage match finishing either first or second of their group.
Re: Argentina, Nigeria, Korea Republic, Greece: Do We Stand A Chance? by azeeza(f): 9:07am On Dec 05, 2009
Guys we are all talking about argentina,argentina.korea could be a kill joy
Re: Argentina, Nigeria, Korea Republic, Greece: Do We Stand A Chance? by udennaa: 6:27pm On Dec 05, 2009
Guys forget it;u'r just being unreasonably patriotic.Tell me the squad nigeria have got to go beyond first round.mind you,we ar not talking about african nations cup here.i bet u,the eagles we have now cannot even beat korea not to talk of greece n argentina.your hopes will turn to unfulfilled dreams.simply put,nigeria have got no team to beat any country in the world cup.
Re: Argentina, Nigeria, Korea Republic, Greece: Do We Stand A Chance? by abariko1(m): 6:28pm On Dec 05, 2009
Okuya thanks for that boost, if many Nigerians are as positive as you are, this country will not lack motivation. Talking about the draw in Cape town and our Eagles been in group B with counterparts: Argentina, Greece and Korea Republic; I believe Nigeria will burst through, let us  remember that this is modern day soccer and not one of 10-20 years ago, in this modern day soccer the unexpected always happen and remember when the tough times comes the tough get going. I Believe in the words of Amodu Shuaib that we will emerge in the Semi finals.
Re: Argentina, Nigeria, Korea Republic, Greece: Do We Stand A Chance? by koolchicco: 6:37pm On Dec 05, 2009
azeeza:

Guys we are all talking about argentina,argentina.korea could be a kill joy

My thought precisely.
Re: Argentina, Nigeria, Korea Republic, Greece: Do We Stand A Chance? by blutman: 7:42pm On Dec 05, 2009
nigeria has a chance especially if the NFF reinforce discipline and passion in our players.Moreso,d lacklustre tactical abilities of Amodu alone will spell doom for us.a sound foreign technical adviser shld be employed to boss Amodu now
Re: Argentina, Nigeria, Korea Republic, Greece: Do We Stand A Chance? by mamagee3(f): 8:46pm On Dec 05, 2009
Argentina would be a great threat to us
But South Korea and Greece are nothing
. tongue
Re: Argentina, Nigeria, Korea Republic, Greece: Do We Stand A Chance? by ochukoccna: 8:50pm On Dec 05, 2009
[size=18pt]9ja's chances @ SA according to permutations[/size]

Re: Argentina, Nigeria, Korea Republic, Greece: Do We Stand A Chance? by ochukoccna: 8:52pm On Dec 05, 2009
[size=20pt]Likely opponents 9ja would meet as should we go far in the tournament.[/size]

Re: Argentina, Nigeria, Korea Republic, Greece: Do We Stand A Chance? by ochukoccna: 8:55pm On Dec 05, 2009
[size=14pt]Yawns @ topic, stretches body, puts off the lights and goes to sleep cool[/size]
Re: Argentina, Nigeria, Korea Republic, Greece: Do We Stand A Chance? by ochukoccna: 8:57pm On Dec 05, 2009
[size=28pt]Will wake up to contribute when NFF has the sense to hire a technically competent coach[/size]
Re: Argentina, Nigeria, Korea Republic, Greece: Do We Stand A Chance? by dbalinga(m): 9:58pm On Dec 05, 2009
I guess some people love to dream while they are awake.
I support u bro, wanna go to bed,
the thread is really pissing.
NLanders, this is not being about unpatrotic, but its just that a lot needs to be done
to put things right.
Naija has always gone back to the drawing board for a long while after enuf Dismal performances
so tey, the drawing board don pafuka.

I wish Tunisia had qualified cos SUPER CHICKENS will only add to the no of teams in S.A
Re: Argentina, Nigeria, Korea Republic, Greece: Do We Stand A Chance? by Pastormat(m): 10:47pm On Dec 05, 2009
Well, well, well. I wonder why we Nigerians love to deceive ourselves. How do you think the "Super Vultures", oh, sorry, i mean, the Super Eagles can jump over Argentina, pass over Greece and go across the river of the South Korean team when we haven't even got the team to play at the Nations Cup come January, Well, i pray that God will make us to realise on time that we need a good Technical adviser b4 its too late.
Re: Argentina, Nigeria, Korea Republic, Greece: Do We Stand A Chance? by nadneth: 11:00pm On Dec 05, 2009
Trust our Super Eagles! They'll produce positive result when u least expect them. Forget Argentina and their star-studded team,they might not make it to the round of 16. Low-rated team like Greece could spring surprises,and for the petite sized Koreans,i marvel at their speed and ball control! But i give it to Nigeria and Korea. Argentina would head back to Bounes Aires after the first round!
Re: Argentina, Nigeria, Korea Republic, Greece: Do We Stand A Chance? by hollandis(f): 12:01am On Dec 06, 2009
ochukoccna:

[size=28pt]Will wake up to contribute when NFF has the sense to hire a technically competent coach[/size]
I will wake up when olofijana and taiye leaves the National team.
Re: Argentina, Nigeria, Korea Republic, Greece: Do We Stand A Chance? by vislabraye(m): 12:33am On Dec 06, 2009
Let the optimism continue. Many of us here are motivational speakers,

In that group, Maradona is the worst ( or daftest) coach next to him Amodu. But they coach the teams in the group with the best pedigree in soccer. What a paradox. I can't really say what who will come out through cause of the unpredictability of our team. I just want to enjoy the world cup weather or not Nigeria goes far. As for Argentina, anything can happen. They might not even qualify for the next stage,
Re: Argentina, Nigeria, Korea Republic, Greece: Do We Stand A Chance? by OvieE: 2:05am On Dec 06, 2009
I do not care whether Nigeria prepare or not, history has reveal itself again but I believe they will prepare. Argentina must be worrying now because for the previous world cup US94 and Japan/South Korea, Argentina has never advance to round 16. Argentina only went to round 16 in US 49 for best third place. So they have something to worry about. I am sure Nigeria will be a different team when to get to SA. I believe Nigeria will help either Greece or Korea to next round.
Re: Argentina, Nigeria, Korea Republic, Greece: Do We Stand A Chance? by ladej(m): 4:27am On Dec 06, 2009
OvieE:

I do not care whether Nigeria prepare or not, history has reveal itself again but I believe they will prepare. Argentina must be worrying now because for the previous world cup US94 and Japan/South Korea, Argentina has never advance to round 16. Argentina only went to round 16 in US 49 for best third place. So they have something to worry about. I am sure Nigeria will be a different team when to get to SA. I believe Nigeria will help either Greece or Korea to next round.
you should CARE. preparation is everything. we can never compare ourselves to argentina till we do something great in the tournament. we NEED to prepare and adopt a preparation culture.
Re: Argentina, Nigeria, Korea Republic, Greece: Do We Stand A Chance? by EnerG: 10:26am On Dec 06, 2009
For Nigerians, qualifying for the world cup is like winning the trophy itself so any other achievement is an extra (jara). For our chances I think we are just have to play our first three matches to know our next move.
Re: Argentina, Nigeria, Korea Republic, Greece: Do We Stand A Chance? by okuya: 2:52pm On Dec 06, 2009
EnerG:

For Nigerians, qualifying for the world cup is like winning the trophy itself so any other achievement is an extra (jara). For our chances I think we are just have to play our first three matches to know our next move.

exactly, when we hope for full dose all we get from dem is jara, but u also know dat when we expect jara dey give us full dose. our teams always move in opposite direction to our expectations.
Re: Argentina, Nigeria, Korea Republic, Greece: Do We Stand A Chance? by Dclique(m): 2:59pm On Dec 06, 2009
From our nations cup performance, we will determine how the world cup will be for us.
Re: Argentina, Nigeria, Korea Republic, Greece: Do We Stand A Chance? by MustardInc: 4:53pm On Dec 06, 2009
We need a Coach who WATCH Nigerian Players ABROAD week-in week-out

& one that UNDERSTANDS THEIR POSITIONS:

1. Mikel is a WORLD CLASS DM [Give that Number 10 to Rabiu or Someone else]

2. Kalu Uche is not a Midfielder in Almeria [but a POWERFUL Support Striker]

3. Joseph Yobo is a JOKE.

4. Chinedu Obasi hasn't FOUND HIS FORM yet.

5. Taiye Taiwo would be a better 11 than the ERATIC Number 3 he currently is.

5. Utaka & Kanu[with all due respect] are no more FOOTBALLERS.

[size=13pt]We could be 1st or 4th depending on these things
[/size]
Re: Argentina, Nigeria, Korea Republic, Greece: Do We Stand A Chance? by vicishow(m): 4:58pm On Dec 06, 2009
I think Nigeria will perform for sure.
It doesn't matter what our opponents can do. For me, i see it as another opportunity of earning streams.
Re: Argentina, Nigeria, Korea Republic, Greece: Do We Stand A Chance? by eddiebomba(m): 5:27pm On Dec 06, 2009
This is to every one who is so skeptical about the chances of the Super eagles at the world cup in South Africa - if you think our team is bad, if you think amodu is not good, then you need to go north to a certain team of REAL chickens - tricolore style. I have several reasons why our team is, on current form, better than Raymond Domenech's les bleus:

1.  though both teams struggled to qualify, and have controversial coaches (as if having a controversial coach is ever a bad thing!),amodu has done a better job than domenech - he is one of only 8 coaches world wide that played the entire qualifiers and qualified unbeaten; france lost out on top spot to serbia

2.  nigeria qualified cleanly; france - well, u all know the shere-were game henry and fifa played on the brave Irish

3.  as if to buttress my point, France lost to a second string amodu-led Nigeria with almost all their stars on parade(who can forget IK uche and akpala of all people turning a whole evra, anelka, benzema et al into schoolboys

And you all say we should sack amodu? when he has results other teams would kill to have? i think not   angry angry angry

I maintain, and i will keep saying this[color=#990000][/color] - NAIJA BETTER PAS FRANCE!!!!
Re: Argentina, Nigeria, Korea Republic, Greece: Do We Stand A Chance? by justfash50: 5:32pm On Dec 06, 2009
From our nations cup performance, we will determine how the world cup will be for us.

@Dclique

The most sensible analysis have heard from the thread.

Lets wait for nations cup before criticizing the Flying vulture or whatever
Re: Argentina, Nigeria, Korea Republic, Greece: Do We Stand A Chance? by shege315: 5:51pm On Dec 06, 2009
hmmm
let me see
basically whom little is expected of
will never dissapoint
i dont expect them to go beyond the first round
still pisssed off they made it
what a useless team
struggling to defeat Kenya and Mozambique
Togo go worldcup naija no go
lost interest since then
will be rooting for them to get their ass kicked
looking forward to Argentina 5 Nigeria 0
Re: Argentina, Nigeria, Korea Republic, Greece: Do We Stand A Chance? by ochukoccna: 7:49pm On Dec 06, 2009
shege315:

hmmm
let me see
basically whom little is expected of
will never dissapoint
i dont expect them to go beyond the first round
still pisssed off they made it
what a useless team
struggling to defeat Kenya and Mozambique
Togo go worldcup naija no go
lost interest since then
[size=13pt]will be rooting for them to get their ass kicked
looking forward to Argentina 5 Nigeria 0
[/size]

Man! U dey vex O! Vex is an understatement, you dey provoke seriously. 5-nil! HABA! Cool temper O!
Re: Argentina, Nigeria, Korea Republic, Greece: Do We Stand A Chance? by OvieE: 11:22pm On Dec 06, 2009
ochukoccna:

Man! U dey vex O! Vex is an understatement, you dey provoke seriously. 5-nil! HABA! Cool temper O!

The man na hipo. Argentina are getting worry now. They this time will not be last previous world were they matter to beat Nija 2-1 and 1-0. Each time, Argentina hardly make it to round sixteen. Nija will top that group. Apart from Messy, who else do they have. The remaining are old papa. But Nigeria have people that Argentina cannot compete with. Looking forward to see who can hold Odemwingie.
Re: Argentina, Nigeria, Korea Republic, Greece: Do We Stand A Chance? by asunaobi(m): 11:59pm On Dec 06, 2009
We stand more chances of beating Argentina than beating Greece and South Korea. The 'Devils we know is better than the Angels that we dont know'.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Heartland Of Owerri Fan Thread! / Pictures You Can Relaate To If You Play Virtuals / Nigerian Goalkeeper Michael Nwabali And His Beautiful Family (See Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.